Other What ruined a fandom for you?

Pretty self-explanatory title. For me, I have two ruined fandoms, one I recently joined again. Undertale and Harry Potter. For Undertale, it was all the incest and selfcest, which I was reminded of when I tried to look up swap sans and was met with 'swap sans x fell sans'. 🤮 And for Harry Potter, it was all the GODDAMN POTTER PUPPET PALS JOKES BECAUSE OF MY PFP!!!!!

Cuphead was what was ruined for me, tried to look up some ’Cupsonas’ for a laugh, and was met with- well let’s just say it wasn‘t pretty ( Of course, the person who made it probably thought it was very pretty ).

Cuphead was what was ruined for me, tried to look up some ’Cupsonas’ for a laugh, and was met with- well let’s just say it wasn‘t pretty ( Of course, the person who made it probably thought it was very pretty ).
I think I found what you're talking about.

The Watchmen fandom going from four people and a confused silverfish to EVERYONE AND THEIR AUNT overnight, after the movie came out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the movie brought in new fans. And it meant there was tons and tons of new content and discussion topics, etc.

But I'm shy. I do well in small groups where, even if you don't personally know everyone, you recognize them. And then, suddenly, everything was different and anxiety-inducing and I couldn't really enjoy it, anymore. :/

When people start to do weird ships, like incest ships and also when people start to self-insert themselves into fanfics and such things.

I also and it not because I have anything against anyone's gender, but I think it is weird when people make fanfics of canon characters in another gender then they are in canon.

I don't like it when people get romantic about characters like if a character is a serial killer and it thought of as romantic, that seems very off-putting to me.

I mostly stick to fandoms that are small or not even a thing anymore, like animes that where popular some 10 years ago and such.

Disney.
They ruined Star Wars for me with all their retcons and such. The new trilogy isn't any worse than the prequels, imo. So they didn't ruin the cinema. They already got beaten to the punch years before they bought out the rights. lol

But with the takeover they are effectively screwing up my EU, and I don't like that. Most obvious and recent example: The Mandalorian series. All that BS about not taking their helmets off. Nah. Was never a thing. This is NOT the way. There are SO many examples where this is disregarded in EU lore. And even in THIER OWN SERIES, they have examples of Mandos showing their faces. So, fuck you Disney. Fuck you.

What ruined Jojo for you, though?

You browse 'ironic weeb' Facebook for a second and you know immediately. It's those guys. It's the guys who won't shut up about the same scenes over and over, and those guys who try their best to shove Jojo into every conversation like 'if he isn't using whatever minimal time he has left to watch Jojo he isn't worthy of being anyone's friend' and all that shit.

The rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper.

I’ve had several close calls of being done with entire fandoms for various reasons that became too much for me to handle. But one truly ruined fandom that I don’t bother with anymore and why, hmm?

I actually am thinking Pokémon is the fandom for me. I grew up with the original and followed for years as a fan even though I might be too old for it in the eyes of others these days. But damn, same old Ash making the same mistakes, going through the same stories over and over again, pikachu is or was awesome, but they should have changed the full cast a long time ago. Or at least make him older and not repeating the same old, same old. New regions and Pokémon is just a lazy grab for cash imo, if nothing else is included besides new companion characters for Ash and Pikachu. The whole school era set in a Hawaii esque setting was just too much to handle and broke the camels back, so to speak. Though I started drifting away from it long before then.

I used to be a huge fan of some game a few years ago, found a few friends there, produced quite a lot of fan content about it, went to meet the creators and was mentioned on one of the official streams. But the fandom is completely ruined for me now.
Firstly, the game ruined itself for me. While I LOVED how it used to be in the beginning, its development made me enjoy it less and less. While I understand the desire of the devs to gain more player base, make the game more appealing to the masses and gain more money, but things they did to the game kept destroying the things I loved about the game one by one, from gameplay to lore.
Secondly, the people. It was less of an impact than the game development though. I stopped enjoying the game mostly because it became nothing like the game I used to love. But accidentally, I got involved in a fandom drama that impacted not just me but my friends as well. It was just the cherry on top. I don't want to be bothered with this fandom ever again.

Similar thing happened to another game as well. Everything was fine until the devs made a super bad decision that made a lot of people quit the game because it became pointless to play and not enjoyable unless you're a pay to win player, and unfortunately pay to win model draws elitists like flies, which makes things even less enjoyable.

So it was mostly the franchises themselves that ruined the fandoms for me, not as much the fandom dramas. You can easily enjoy something and not interact with people. But when the source of enjoyment collapses then nothing is left.

I second Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling being...herself and ruining everything she touches.

But also Voltron, because people got so attached to their fanon they forgot it was fanon and not canon and tried to shove it down everyone's throats. Lost more friends than I can count because of the stuff that went down there. There were a group of people who were so determined they were right and others were wrong, they would send death threats to people who worked on the series, to other fan creators because they didn't do what they liked, and just...a lot of horrible stuff.

Undertale because of the toxic fanbase (not the entire fanbase, just... a dark part of it that others have already mentioned).

Dunno if this counts because I was never in the fandom to begin with, but I can't get into BNHA now because of the sheer amount of attention it's getting. The fandom has been flooded with kids and people just there for the hype. I watched about 5 episodes and it is a good anime, I just won't get into the fandom because of its insane popularity.

FNAF was ruined because there's so many new games I lost track after Sister Location came out. Also the fanbase with this one

Pokemon because it's really repetitive and just a cash grab at this point that isn't even worth watching

Also Fortnite, not that I was a fan of it in the first place. What started out as a cool battle royale game was taken over by salty 8 year olds. Roblox for the same reason, also hackers and toxic community.

Game of Thrones, Season 8.

I mean, I should have seen the signs of its decline before then, but....

What really did it was Daenerys's snap to madness, but then all the events, ALL THE EVENTS, leading to "Bran the Broken" (Tyrion being allowed to speak, Jon not already executed, the Iron Isles not also defecting like the North, etc etc), killed it.

I can't rewatch it. I just have to hope the books make it better...

I second Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling being...herself and ruining everything she touches.
This. 100% this. I third this.

JK Rowling ruined Harry Potter overall for me. Her controversial statements, specifically when it comes to other cultures and transgender peoples.

Trying to retcon Anthony Goldstein as jewish despite NOTHING in the books saying so just to checkmark the diversity requirement is horrible but her comments about biological gender trumping your personal feelings and self identity is unforgivable.

You browse 'ironic weeb' Facebook for a second and you know immediately. It's those guys. It's the guys who won't shut up about the same scenes over and over, and those guys who try their best to shove Jojo into every conversation like 'if he isn't using whatever minimal time he has left to watch Jojo he isn't worthy of being anyone's friend' and all that shit.

The rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper.
I share your pain... Not only that but it's the same reason why the My Hero fandom is ruined for me as well.

Last edited:
Most of BBC Sherlock was ruined for me by sheer my mere existence on tumblr. I'm all for world/character bending, but there were/are a lot of folks who take themes or very specific HCs and run absolutely WILD with it. Well, that and the unending queerbaiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back