What Role do You Usually Have?

Shog

The Infinite Being
So just to clarify, this is most prevelent on online RPGs, but it's not limited to that category.  Basically I'm curious as to what role you take in a multiplayer setting.  This could be the tank, sniper, support, etc.  This is not describing how you act, such as "I hide behind others" or "I betray my own team."

For me, I prefer ranged attacks.  In MOBAs, my favorite characters are all mages or rangers of some sort.  I usually make them glass cannons.  I have also done this with MMOs.  I make sure they have some sort of mobility or escape ability as soon as possible as well.  I like this setting because I'm usually the most effective against tanks and can't be hurt unless I find someone else with a ranged attack or an assassin sneaks up on me.  Even if it's a game where I cannot build a character to my specifications, I prefer those with ranged attacks.  I like the game Sanctum 2, which is a sci fi tower defense FPS.  My favorite character is Simo, the robot sniper.  The other character's have to get up in the oponent's face to do some damage and are more likely to die.  Meanwhile there are some spots that allow me to stay in spawn almost the eintire game and I will not die.  I have also been known to play support, but also at range.  I also cannot play a character that forces me to focus on healing.  An example of this would be Janas from Smite.  He can use his portals and threshold abilities to keep control of the enemy and away from my team.  They also provide an escape for myself.  That said, he can also be build to deal some serious damage.  Anyway, that's enough of a rant for me.  What about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only played a few games where roles matter, myself, but I've found that I prefer to be a support role of some kind - A healer or some kind of long-range DPS. I don't like being in the middle of the action, since then it's less likely I'm able to escape alive. Tanking is boring for me, as well.

I've only played one game where there were 'roles', which was WoW. I was, like Lego, a support role. I usually liked being either a priest (since they're usually high in demand and I like being high demand, lol) or Druid (Shapeshifting was fun). However, since I wasn't able to play a single character for a long period of time due to personal situations, I had several different characters that were from many different classes so I'm not skilled with one direct class and instead, have some experience with many.

In terms of roles I'm a tank or glass cannon. Tank is fun when you have a bunch of Glass cannons around you as Allies and you take the brunt of the damage just to protect them. Glass cannon is also fun because I love dealing big amounts of damage but I can have a rush getting away from a bunch of people if they chase me.

If we're talking way back when, I played rogues/rangers almost exclusively in every fantasy or RPG setting that I could. Over time, as I started playing MMOs, I moved to healing roles whenever I could and was content with keeping track of my party rather than engaging in combat. Nowadays, I like to be a tank whenever possible. It was sort of a natural progression, and preference for smaller things such as weapon type followed with it.

If we're talking more specific classes, I always have to make at least one paladin or cleric character any time I get a chance (whether it be in single-player games or multiplayer games) and this usually ends up being my favorite character out of the bunch for any given setting. Smiting unholy things with a glowing, fiery warhammer will take a long while to get old for me, I'm betting. Even a more toned down one-handed round mace usually ends up striking my fancy enough to where I have to try it out.

i'm the girl who back stabs everyone on cod to using all three kill strikes just to fuck w/ everyone at the end

oh okay.

im the guy who stays in camp and waits for the enemy die.

i'm the girl who back stabs everyone on cod to using all three kill strikes just to fuck w/ everyone at the end

Neither of those really qualify under the question I'm asking.  Those are behaviors.  This thread is supposed to prompt people to share what role they typically have with a team.  This is often defined by the class or character you choose.  Describing how you act does not address the topic.

I default towards melee rogues and similar DPS roles. I like getting up in the action and stabbing away at an enemies health. And being able to move all around a battlefield.

SWTOR got me into playing Tank roles, though, with my Bounty Hunter and that's surprisingly fun.

In most MOBAs and online RPGs, I typically assume the role of a semi-support/utility DPS kind of dude. The guy that has the team's back, keeping them alive while steering the enemy closer and closer to their impending doom. Also I like to bring chaos onto the battlefield. To those savvy with Defense of the Ancients (which I play avidly), my favored heroes are Dark Seer, Disruptor, Axe and Winter Wyvern, all heroes adept at ruining enemy positioning and making people just panic.

I like berserker type playstyles. High risk high reward lol plus big swords are great. I like running into the fray going full rage mode and just mowing down the enemy.

I played a quite a bit of FFXIV and kind of fell into tanking through a lot of changes within the game. I took up Marauder at 1.0 launch which was initially intended as AOE melee DPS. With the introduction of the job system they gained the ability to unlock Warrior which made it into a blood tank with really great damage output. 2.0 I played Paladin, a regular defense mitigation tank. Back to Warrior for 3.0.

A lot of people who don't have a lot of experience with these roles in an MMORPG setting assume that all one has to do in order to play one properly is hold hate. That's a gross oversimplification. The reason I enjoy it so much is that you can really push yourself as a player with 'em. You're the one leading the charge and as such have the most control over the pacing of run. This means that you need to blow through groups of enemies and boss phases as quickly as possible by keeping your entire team's resource management in mind, having an understanding of their general ability and output. You need to position enemies properly so AoE attacks are easier for your party members to avoid, which requires a level of knowledge that isn't so essential for DPS and healers. You need to properly manage cooldowns to maximize hate generation and minimize damage sustained, so that healers can stance-dance in order to help by casting offensive spells in-between cures.

Really grew accustomed to those kinds of leadership roles. They require a lot more trust in your team than it often appears at first glance, and the ability to adapt well under pressure when something goes awry. On that note, I absolutely love when I start to lose hate since it means the DPS that's threatening to steal an enemy's attention is putting out some great numbers. It's a pretty rare occurrence, but having to really work for it is something special.

I usually play support or healers, since nobody else seems to want to.  That way, I can get away with being bad because there are no other healers on the team so they need me :3c

Often i'll choose a recon sort of class or a healer, downside of being a healer is sometimes a member of your team likes to be rascally little goof-ball and venture off into the heart of enemy territory and immediately die right after. Then they'll ask you why you weren't covering them, it sure does baffle me when i'm playing as Mercy in Overwatch. 

It depends on the game really. Usually, I'll pick a role/class based on how combat works in the game and how the game itself is structured, but I have my favorites.

Generally, in MMO's I absolutely love tanking. Usually that'll be my main class, and then I'll have another character on the side. That'll usually be a close range DD as I just love the thrill, man. Magic isn't really my thing, but sometimes I'll switch it up and go on my mage every now and then for something different. I usually don't like being a glass cannon magician or something too squishy. Other ranged roles like archers I don't really like. And I absolutely hate playing as a healer or an assassin type character. I don't really like standing around and juggling everybody as a healer and while the assassins are always OP in every single MMO, I just never really liked their playstyle. Idk why. oo;

ARPGS, now that's different. I have a very specific play style for these, so I very deeply appreciate as much customization as I'm allowed. In these games, I like to be ranged and I like big numbers. Nothing is more satisfying than rounding up a horde, tossing an AOE, and watching bodies drop. My Grim Dawn character is an accidentally OP mage/gunman hybrid and I love it completely. I can't really do close quarter type classes in these games like I tend to play in MMO's. They're just not my thing for ARPGS. I guess this is because these type of games are more of a single player experience, so I like that extra survivability from standing back at a safe distance. I still like teaming up with friends on Grim Dawn though to traverse them dungeons and get that nice loot.

Overall, I don't do support roles in games. I'm either into taking the fire, dealing out the damage, or somewhere in between.

I dislike playing roles heavily reliant on individual skill. This is mostly due to lack of confidence in myself and admittedly bad reflexes. As a result, I tend to prefer a more support-oriented style. Even when playing mages, I prefer a more crowd control heavy build than actual damage, unless I know I'll be going off alone most of the time. Even then, I usually keep at least a couple of aoe cc in case I wind up teaming up with others.

The only MMORPG I played for any significant amount of time was Ragnarok Online, so I'll base my post on that...

My main character was always a sniper. The most common builds for them either maximized damage or attack speed, and I preferred something in-between. I thought "Why have an A+ in one and a B in the other when I can have an A in both?", something like that. I liked the balance and could fill in for either of them just as well.
Still, that's balance in the offense. I was a glass cannon at its finest. Had a pretty high dodge rate, but no investment in defense/vitality. I invested a bit in INT which made me have a higher magical than physical resistance, but nothing to be proud of. Which is why I got used to moving around a lot and keeping the monsters at a safe distance. Even when playing other classes, like mage, I'd do those things out of habit even when not theoretically necessary. Standing still and taking a beating was never my thing...unless I had to do it to prevent an ally from being targeted. Had to be alert at all times.

Which brings me to my playstyle...sometimes I'd do more of a support than offensive role depending on how things went. I was usually the one who attracted the monsters my way if they were going to target someone important that wasn't the tanker (if there even was one), like a priest or mage.  Sometimes the not-so-important ones would just have to hang in there. Their deaths wouldn't be any strategical loss.The priest could always resurrect them afterwards anyway. If the tanker died, I was the one that grabbed the attention of the mob they were tanking and running off with them so they wouldn't mow down the party. In case the party DID get wiped out aside from me, 'cause y'know I never died...I'd usually teleport around and try to resurrect the priests, keep the mobs off of them so they could heal/buff themselves, and then make way for them to bring back the rest of the folks.

Also, most people in my guild(s) had a support character as their main one. Luckily, that meant I only had to take that role once, and it wasn't fun. Maybe if it were a turn-based game I wouldn't be so against playing one. Still, with so many skilled support players around, they obviously tried to convince me to get better at it, but I just wasn't interested in the nonsense and headache they have to go through. Which is why I at least tried to make it a bit less hard for them when I played as a sniper. 

Fun times...excuse me while the nostalgia takes over...

I prefer playing the tank. Even if I can't do damage, I prefer being the guy to start the fight and being the last to die.

I'm the sniper (Mostly COD/Battlefield), but not the simple sniper, the asshat one that keeps calling potshots from a mile way while also spamming mortar strike

(Bold= Role )

(Normal= behavior)

(Just wanted to add my behavior here, soz m8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back