Anime & Manga what made YOU start watching anime?

The popularity of DBZ is what made me watch my first and favorite anime, Dragon Ball!

I initially started watching the big mainstream anime but later switched to lesser-known ones after going through that transition.

For me personally, the first anime series I ever remember watching was DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh. As I aged and I began to talk to other people irl who I hung out with about good anime, I'd check it out. If it weren't for these friends I'd have never gotten into " The Big Three"(Bleach Naruto and One Piece) not would I have expanded into watching other anime series.

naruto was my first anime, but i got into manga first since the computer was really slow and it was rarely on tv

i think the first manga i really liked was +Anima, which was just some random thing in my 6th grade school's library. and then i read all the other ones on that small collection of shelves

at first i was into the super common plots that are in manga. i think i liked shounen and shojo the same amount and it was all pretty kid-friednly. i remember stuff like DNAngel and Full Moon wo Sagashite, and then the library got the naruto manga. i got reeaaaally into death note too. i think i have at least 3 shirts somewhere

but now im into way more violent stuff and psychological thriller and horror cool cool

I just started a couple years ago. Someone recommended that I watch black butler, so I did. then I believe I watched death note and attack on titan.

Watching Adult Swim late on Saturday nights exposed me to anime. But I'm like that guy who makes a large list of Animes and never gets around to watching them. I suck.

I discovered the actual mainstream look of anime via Cartoon Network's afternoon Toonami segments. But turns out I was already watching anime before recognizing it on KidsWB years back.

A roleplay, haha! I didn't even realise it was from an anime until a month or two in. I'm glad I watched it, because I still enjoy anime to this day.

My friend made me watch DBZ. Then I also found Toonami and watched Cowboy Bebop and Trigun and .hack//sign.. Was hooked forever since

I watched Mew Mew Power/ Tokyo Mew Mew at the age of 6 (it was on Pop!), but what really got me into anime was when my friend made me watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica (which nearly broke my heart).

When I was young, we would rent movies every Saturday, and I saw Princess Mononoke and absolutely fell in love. Ever since, I'd craved the art style that seemed so separate from normal cartoons and then, of course, came Toonami, like most others here.

Ah, rushing home every day to watch DBZ and Sailor Moon and Code Lyoko. That last one isn't an anime, I don't think, but I swear it is its own sort of special.

Toonami when I was a wee little kiddy, most likely. Or maybe it was 4kids or something? I remember liking to watch the Yi-Gi-Oh show way way back.

I was 7 years old, watched Neon Genesis Evangelion all the way through, my perception of "cartoons" changed completely; I understood that there was a genre of animated drawings that broke the boundaries of comedy and grew into something with a deeper meaning carrying slice of life, violence, psychological, thriller, adult among other genres ;X (Shinji trips and falls on top of Rei) ....

*points to my brothers* They introduced me to Bleach, FMA, Inuyasha and then I was hooked and those three animes turned into even more tokyo mew mew, sailor moon, card captor and it kept growing how many I'd watch until I got addicted. I've watched about 70 animes T_T and have I think it was 263 to watch on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother was watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood with our sister, and since our TV and computers are in the same room I overheard a lot of the stuff that was happening. My interest eventually pulled me into watching the whole series after they were finished with it.

I was twelve and in middle school. A girl came in wearing an Inuyasha T-shirt and I had seen the ads for it on cartoon network when it switched into Adult Swim. I started watching Inuyasha and it snowballed from there. That girl from my class is now my best friend for life, Sister and cosplaying buddy.

Watched anime before I even knew what it was! LOL I was 4 years old when I saw my first anime, which was Hamtaro!!♥ I forgot how I was introduce to that cute little show, but I was obsessed with it and still love it, ha ha ^_^

@Usuru Ah, yes, Hamtaro. That was my first anime as well, I believe. Of course, at the time, I didn't know it was an anime.

I grew up watching the anime that aired on TV like: DBZ, Gundam, etc. I guess I just liked the more interesting plots in anime compared to the plots found in older, American cartoons. Give me a few years and look at me now: a full-on weeb.

I was on a Dutch forum somewhere in 2013, and I heard people talking about this really good dark anime. I got curious and wanted to try the first episode out to see if it was something for me - if anime in general was something for me.

The rest is history. I'm forever in love with Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), and after that, Death Note. If anyone ever knows a anime that is like these two, please contact me and make me addicted. Please. I beg you. I have cookies to offer.

Captain said:
I was on a Dutch forum somewhere in 2013, and I heard people talking about this really good dark anime. I got curious and wanted to try the first episode out to see if it was something for me - if anime in general was something for me.
The rest is history. I'm forever in love with Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), and after that, Death Note. If anyone ever knows a anime that is like these two, please contact me and make me addicted. Please. I beg you. I have cookies to offer.
I haven't really seen either of those animes, but if you're looking for something dark and depressing, there's one called Puella Magi Madoka Magica out there. It's written by Gen Urobuchi, if that means anything to you ( :) ) The first three episodes put on a front of it being a typical Magical Girl anime, and then everything starts going completely downhill at the end of the third. I enjoy it a lot.

LegoLad659 said:
I haven't really seen either of those animes, but if you're looking for something dark and depressing, there's one called Puella Magi Madoka Magica out there. It's written by Gen Urobuchi, if that means anything to you ( :) ) The first three episodes put on a front of it being a typical Magical Girl anime, and then everything starts going completely downhill at the end of the third. I enjoy it a lot.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind! *gives you a cookie*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back