Anime & Manga what made YOU start watching anime?

They aired a superancient rerun of Mazinger Z back when I was but a child and consequences were never the same after that day.

I was but a young 'un when the world of anime touched my life. My school library had a few mangas on the shelves, and being the worst sort of nerd I am, I could not help but snatch a few up.

I'm not sure, really.

I was about 9 years old when I discovered it, which is the same age I discovered roleplay.

I think it was because I was looking for some shows about talking wolves (I was big on that back then) and found Wolf's Rain.

I finished that about 2-3 years ago though...

More recently, however, I was on Netflix and curiously looked at the Anime category, and that's when I started to become obsessed.

Probably Toonami. I didn't really take to watching anime until Adult Swim rolled around with it's anime block which introduced me to some of my favorite animes (Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Paranoia Agent)

I'm only just now starting to get back into anime, honestly.

Well, when I saw sailor moon because my step sister was seeing it, but I didn't really know it was anime. I was around 8 or 9 pretty young and not even in middle school. But my first anime I have seen being aware that what I'm watching is anime, it would be inuyasha. My friend wouldn't stop texting me the plot and I got to curious. That was around the summer of 6th grade. Its been a downspiral ever since.

Anime to me, much like reading was a way to escape the real world for me. I know it sounds lame but when you come from a poor family with no way but down. Lol

It was magical the first time I watched anime. It had character, it has drama, it a was a unique story every time. I was hooked needless to say. So I spent the better part of my childhood and teenage years watching, drawing and obsessing about anime.

Anime is also sorta what brought me to role-playing. I would go on yahoo and watch all the people role-playing familiar anime characters and I HAD to be a part of it.

Now that I'm older I still love anime but real life happens so I don't watch it as much.

One time i saw FMAB on Adult Swim and got hooked.

Actually, my first anime was Naruto. Ive been watching since it first stard but i havent really been watching anything else until like 4 years ago.

The amount of action that came out of the time compared to the other kids shows. Born before Ren and Stimpy anime shows were like OMG action. It was even the inspiration for the power rangers which i loved too

Digimon. Yeah. I couldn't have gotten into anime without Digimon Adventure, the first season. Then what ultimately hooked me in was the amazingly large variety of storylines you can find in anime; I mean, you have a book that can kill people (Death Note) and giant robots piloted by angst young kids (Evangelion).

But alas, after you explore all those unique classic stories out there, the mainstream body of anime can get pretty generic sometimes, being such a repetition of the same story that anime stories became a distinct style for me. I think I'll be sticking to manga pretty soon.

Full Metal Alchemist (the first iteration, before Brotherhood was released). After that, I was craving for more with that style and then I finally adjusted my tastes to watch everything from annoying harems to tear-jerking dramas.

The cold and undeniably glorious truth: Toonami... and I have been riding that wave ever since. *stares off into the distance, sighs, and executes precise hair flip*

Hatchet said:
I watched Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within when it first came out but I didn't recognize that it was classified as anime. A few years later I watched an episode of Inuyasha where Sesshoumaru flips his hair over his shoulder and I was sold. Then I got into Fullmetal Alchemist. And just to let you all know how much of a brat I was, I literally sat in a corner in a dank basement, REFUSING to watch an episode of Naruto that my friend wanted to show me because I wanted to watch my damn FMA. Then two days later I saw a Naruto AMV and was sold.
After a series of terrible dubs I swore off all anime, and hold to that today ~^~
You musn't! Embrace the glorious world of subs, and for the most part, your problems will abate. Though there are a few good dubs. Rare they be, though. Rare they be.

Curiosity. I had seen an Anime on Adult Swim and thought it looked neat, and gave it a go. I've been hooked ever since, quite honestly.

Dragon ball Z was a real kick off, for me personally. Being an artist I've watched all animations even watership down. I think my friend who I grew up with, my friend introduced me to the saga mammoth Bleach. Then realised their was a small community. I drew endlessly of different Ichigo, sides of him fighting and Kenpachi. Then Yaoi, finally. I became fascinated how art became a video.

So, the first anime I ever watched was Sailor Moon. I started watching it when I was very little and I had just fallen in love with it. When I got to be about 13 years old, Naruto appeared on TV and I was hooked. From then on, I started watching only English dub. AND THEN, I moved to English sub because, why not? I had a lot more options that way. After that, I think the next anime I watched was Vampire Knight. Good anime, brings back memories. ~ xD

I was struck by how gorgeous the anime guys are. And that was the start of my lifelong journey with anime. Yeah, I'm that shallow. >__>

I came across InuYasha on late at night. I believe it was on Toonami/[adult swim]. I think I was twelve or so? I can't remember. Who really got me into anime and manga was my cousin. She was visiting from out of state and she had bought some manga. I decided to give it a read on the way to Cedar Point. The anime/manga art style always intrigued me so I was curious. I remember her complaining about how long I was taking to read the volume, but hey, it takes some getting used to reading from right to left instead of left to right. xD

I didn't seriously start watching anime until a little while later. This was before I had a computer of my own. I mostly read manga back then, but now that I have my own computer and access to the Internet, I've been watching anime far more often. I even go to anime cons every year and cosplay! :3

Here's how I got into watching anime...

It was mid-2006 and I was surfin' on the computer one day on YouTube for a song that I liked (the name of it I don't remember ^^), when I saw an AMV of Naruto, particularly one about Sasuke's past with his brother Itachi up to his massacre of the Uchiha Clan. That AMV was pretty well-done...well-done enough that I actually checked out the episode where that event was seen (episode 84). The episode got me into watching that series for real, and thus, into watching anime full-on.

I understand the feels. I think my first was .Hack/Sign when it aired on Toonami or whatever it was when I was about three or four. I never understood it, but I loved the artwork, so I kept on working with it and now I just love it.

I think it had been a total accident when I was three and Sailor Moon came on. Since that dreadful day, my mom hadn't been able to escape Sailor Moon for YEARS into the future. I knew the song, I had to watch all the movies, I freaking LOVED Sailor Moon. Then after that, I had stumbled on Inuyasha, Naruto, and Bleach -- fell off the track for a couple of years -- then came back after accidentally surfing Adult Swim on Cartoon Network to see Blood+, Paranoia Agent, and Ghost in the Shell, I think.

I ran into the live action Death Note movies and then got into the anime and it kind of span off from there, later on i started watching anime online with a german that i ran into from a mmorpg i played so that helped introduce me to lots of new things,

I don't really know what made me start watching it, I started when I was around 4. I grew up with Sailor Moon, Pokemon, DBZ, and Yu Yu Hakasho. I thought they were awesome cause they were so intense, and they were different from American cartoons. For American cartoons there was Doug, Rugrats, and stuff like that, and I liked them but not as much as anime. Anime took me to another world and you seen awesome battles, and with DBZ you got 20 episodes of grunting and yelling.

Growing up, I don't really watch as much now, I dabble a little with new sutff. Now I'm into Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure, Gundam, Gurren Lagan, Kill la Kill.

Japanese-anime-gif.gif

I started with Sailor Moon when I was a little girl. I rediscovered Anime about four or five years ago with Junjo Romantica and a roommate.

I watched Buu saga in Dragon Ball Z along with Naruto and The Last Air Bender when I was little. Later on I read Naruto's manga from my library for a good while. Then about a year ago I saw my cousin watching Fairy Tail and a couple weeks later the first season was free on Xbox so I watched all twelve episodes in a row that Saturday morning. I then continued watching Fairy Tail online and I'm currently current with the manga. But Fairy Tail subbed is what got me into anime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back