What Kills a Good RP ?

People wanting something to happen, and going about it in a heavy-handed manner. I play a lot of D&D, and there's always one player who wants something to happen for whatever reason, but instead of keeping it quiet and going about it secretly, and then having a big reveal and it's funny/cool/epic/etc, it's annoying. It happened a lot when I roleplayed online elsewhere, and they either god-mod or make the scene seem unrealistic by forcing something to happen.

Bad writing always does it as well. However, if it isn't someone's first language, I can respect that they're trying and I stick with it.

I have experienced this one far too many times, and yes it is very annoying!

Being the odd one out. It's rough when you join a group as a nooby and there are already set cliques within the group. I find the new people are ignored sometimes, while the people who already new each other are pretty much Side Rping away from the new characters. I'd rather be told straight out that this isn't the Rp for me, than be trying and be ignored. Or worse, being half ass included because one of the people feel bad. :/

Being the odd one out. It's rough when you join a group as a nooby and there are already set cliques within the group. I find the new people are ignored sometimes, while the people who already new each other are pretty much Side Rping away from the new characters. I'd rather be told straight out that this isn't the Rp for me, than be trying and be ignored. Or worse, being half ass included because one of the people feel bad. :/

I agree. Within different groups, you have different sub-cultures and it's always beneficial to be as inclusive as possible.

1: Attention-seeking behavior. Someone wants their character to be the smartest, strongest, prettiest, most-whatever on the team. They keep pulling nonsensical scenarios out of their ass just to show up everyone else's character. Alternatively, they want their character to be a super-sympathetic woobie, so their character is always hurt or in need of rescuing and becomes a huge burden on the rest of us.

2: Forced romance. Someone quits as soon as their ideal ship falls through, the game just gets derailed by pointless romantic subplots, or everyone gets pushed into the background in favor of The Couple.

3: OOC drama and fighting. This should be self-explanatory.

4: Inactivity. Again, self-explanatory, and the leading cause of death among otherwise promising RPs.

5: Unprepared GMs being unable to pull things together enough to keep a plot going (why I don't GM)

6: over-controlling GMs refusing to let anyone make any decisiona for themselves, railroading the players onto their stupid contrived plot arc tha revolves around their conceited, egomaniacal OC.

I always find it's when, despite laying out your stipulations before you start, the other person manages to not follow them. My biggest one is if one person is having to carry the plot all on their own because the other roleplayer doesn't bother to continue moving the story along, they're too stagnant so-to-speak

ALSO.... It really only happens when you're doing a double plot line and all four characters are like together and they intertwine, the other person wants it ALLLLLL about their oc, to the point that they even make their second character (your love interest) ignore your OC and focus on their one. Had a few do that with me and it's exhausting

What kills good RPs?
No one interacting with each other. Taking forever to get replies out. Poor writing. People railroading out characters.

Lack of continuous ideas that keep the plot enjoyable. Because if you don't continue to be creative, the plot will go stale and noone will be happy

For me, it's when OOC isn't frequent. Whether or not it's about the plot or personal life, I believe OOC chat keeps people connected and interested in continuation.

It also depends on style and the type of roleplay you have. Make sure both you and your partner have an understanding on what you two expect from each other. Be on the same page.
That's just what keeps me interested anyway :)
I hope that helps somewhat.
ooc shouldnt matter, its each others satisfaction, ive had many rps and i never had an ooc chat with them, i simply ignored them and reply, they probably live far away so its not like you'll get smashed with them.

Ok so just my input (that I'm also guilty of doing myself) bad characters kill a roleplay.

There's normally some characters that don't follow the rules, characters that are op despite the person who them saying otherwise, characters who put some people off from the roleplay or characters who just don't fit well into the whole thing.

You kind of have an expectation of what characters you're going to find when you end up in a superhero roleplay, for example. But then there comes that one character that's the odd ball out and it just puts people off from wanting to play a part in that. Sometimes it's just unavoidable because they've already been accepted and I personally feel that it's just rude to point out that said character has very little to do in that roleplay. So even if the plot is great, even if the gm seems friendly, approachable and on top of everything, even if there's plenty of ooc chat I just think characters are vital to it all.

When the plot comes second to romance is what really bugs me. I'm completely fine with romance, although I can't claim to be that 'good' at it, but it really bugs me when the plot gets disregarded so someone can chase down their ideal romance. I can understand if the focus changes to romance because of the situation, but when the plot is abandoned completely... nah, can't be bothered to stay with that.

When a person fails to be literate enough to keep a sentence on the right track. I've had someone literally write something like;
"he walked over to her because I think she's amazing so I hugged her." And it's like... First of all, capitalize. Then, no running sentences.
And finally, PICK. A GOSH. DARN. POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back