Food What is your favorite coffee or tea and why do you drink coffee or tea?

Oberan Oberan

Okay, the Cinnamon Gods have been appeased and I'm finding this to my liking!

I personally loathe coffee and don't even like coffee flavoured candies or sweets. I wish I did, but the taste and smell of coffee beans bother me. Perhaps it is due to my English step-father, but I am definitely a tea person. It's hard to pick a favorite tea, as it ultimately depends on my mood. But more often than not, I tend to go for more fruity teas, as they are refreshing and sweeter. Peach tea is particularly scrumptious in the summertime! I also like some black teas, particularly Indian due to the complexity and taste of the spices used. Both tend to have fantastic aromas and feel especially good on a cold day. But chilled tea is also great during the summer. I can do green tea, but I end up putting so much honey and sweetener in it that it sort of defeats the purpose. Lol!

As for how I drink them, again, it really depends on the tea. Almost all tea I end up adding a sweetener of some sort because of my childlike pallete, haha. Fruit teas, I never put milk in, as it will typically curdle, which is disgusting. It's rare, but I will every so often add a bit of lemon to my fruit teas or any tea without milk. Most black teas are extremely complimented by milk and I nearly always add a splash to them.

Yes! I've had peach tea (thanks to my lady, Kaerri) and I enjoyed it. =)

I haven't heard of honey and sweetener in green tea before. I usually have it straight. Heh!

When it comes to cold southern teas (meaning Southern U.S.A.), before I got into coffee, I was really into Chik-Fil-A's sweet tea. It's a Georgia recipe and an excellent example of southern sweet tea (or unsweet for those into that). Is this what you mean by "chilled" teas or is this perhaps a tea I haven't heard of?

Yes! I've had peach tea (thanks to my lady, Kaerri) and I enjoyed it. =)

I haven't heard of honey and sweetener in green tea before. I usually have it straight. Heh!

When it comes to cold southern teas (meaning Southern U.S.A.), before I got into coffee, I was really into Chik-Fil-A's sweet tea. It's a Georgia recipe and an excellent example of southern sweet tea (or unsweet for those into that). Is this what you mean by "chilled" teas or is this perhaps a tea I haven't heard of?
I'm rather "un-American", so I actually don't like sweet tea. I know, it's blasmephous. Typically, I'll brew a hot fruit or black tea, sweeten it, and then just chill it. That's what I do, anyway!

Sounds darned good to me! I can't blame you for sweetening the black teas. I understand they can be bitter sometimes. And bitterness (here it comes) just isn't my cup of tea. =)

Well, since I somehow got to this thread by accident, I might as well join in; for me, it's tea all the way, I can't really stand the smell of coffee. So, tea it is - and lots of it.

So - why tea? Well, cooled water only comes in one flavor - and there are very few other kind of drinks I actually enjoy. Tea, though - there's the right flavor for every kind of moment. Plus, I like the tea-brewing process. It's always just a few minutes in-between work to take a break, refocus, and and get back to things right after. Pouring in a glass of water, for example, takes about a second, and one's right back in the mess.

No sugar, sweetener or milk needed, ever. The sweeter a tea is, the less likely I am to enjoy it; that excludes most really fruity teas for me, with the rare exception of a cooled apple tea with lemon juice and honey on really hot summer days.

So - flavors. The go-to option is a regular peppermint tea, there's rarely a day where I don't make a pot of that one. Besides that, there's a green tea with a hint of lemon that I really enjoy in the morning and in-between, Earl Grey as my go-to black tea, and Darjeeling to change things up every now and then. Besides that, there's that one mint-camomile tea that we once bought by accident and that I quite enjoy in the evening, these days...

The best tea by a long shot, however, is English Breakfast tea. I was fortunate enough to spend a month in Australia a few years back, and spent about a week of that time at a family friend's place - perhaps the most inspiring woman I've ever met. This was her favorite brand of tea back then (still is), and so it doesn't only come with a great flavor, but also with very fond memories. I never get it for myself, but every now and then, my sister's sending a package of it my way; naturally, it's reserved for special moments, or for those particular kind of moments where one just needs something different. It actually has its own little spot right here on my work desk.

Ha ha ha! Heya Sil! Good to see you, buddy! =)

It was Kaerri that turned me on to English Breakfast tea (Twinings, if memory serves) and I found that I liked it a great deal. Of all typical Western teas, it's my favorite just for the taste. Green tea served straight is my favorite Eastern tea. It is so cool that you were able to visit Australia, and not only The Land Down Under, but to have friends there too! That's just super! =)

Yeah, I'd definitely be a tea bucko, but then again most people in Ireland are, or so I'd like to think. :closed eyes open smile:

I think I read somewhere recently (BBC?) that Ireland was one of the top 5 places in the world where tea was consumed?

It wouldn't be surprise me in the slightest; I believe there was an ad on the tele a few years ago that said nearly 10 million cups of tea are drank in Ireland every day!

Well, if they drink tea the way I hear they drink spirits, then no wonder they can be such a festive, happy people! Hooray for Ireland! =)

Certainly had a great time down there. Fun fact: Our friend's family originates from Ireland, and she certainly knew her way around a tea shop.

An Irish in Australia? That just sounds novel. I bet she knew her way around everywhere she put her mind to! Heh! =)

I drink both tea and coffee because I find them delicious. I STARTED drinking tea because when I was a kid I was a little obsessed with High Victorian Society, including formal afternoon teas. Started off with Darjeeling, milk, and sugar, began to expand from there, heading deep into green tea territory during my weeb phase. Started drinking coffee when I'd developed a caffeine habit strong enough that I'd get headaches without it. I was on a road trip and the motel we were staying at didn't have tea, so I conceded to coffee.

These days I drink my coffee black. I just really like the bitterness. I favor dark and medium roasts, and blonde roasts just... make me want to vibrate out of my skin. And not in a fun way. But I usually only have one thermos of it a day, then I move onto tea. I like almost all teas, save for ones that are SUUUUUUPER sweet, but I have a strong preference for genmaicha.

I used to blend my own teas over on Adagio, I go back to the hobby every now and then.

For Fancy Hot Beverages, I love me a good London Fog or a cappuccino. :D

That's cool! I've been told that light roast coffees can reaaally provide enough caffeine to make a person regret it. "Some of the worst headaches in my life came from light roast withdrawl. Yep! Not doing that again." And so I've pretty much avoided light roasts whenever I can.

I read an article on BBC about formal afternoon teas still being a thing despite COVID-19. People are definitely keeping the spirit alive there!

That's cool! I've been told that light roast coffees can reaaally provide enough caffeine to make a person regret it. "Some of the worst headaches in my life came from light roast withdrawl. Yep! Not doing that again." And so I've pretty much avoided light roasts whenever I can.

I read an article on BBC about formal afternoon teas still being a thing despite COVID-19. People are definitely keeping the spirit alive there!
They have less, like... body, too, which makes me want to avoid them. There's a coffee shop in Madison that ONLY does blonde roasts, and I didn't know till I'd been going for a few days adn feeling like bare wire.

lol somehow that does not surprise me. One year in college my roomies and I had an Afternoon Tea tradition where we got together twice a week for an hour of chatting over tea without phones as a way to catch up and eat the like, 50 boxes of girl scout cookies we'd ordered.

I bet that made for some happy Girl Scouts! Come to think of it, there are definitely worse treats to have with one's tea or coffee. Girl Scouts (and their cookies) rock!

Heya fellow Sharkies (or whatever we call each other here in RP Nation)! For the sake of learning, sharing, and fun, let's see if I can get a ball rolling here. Shall we? =)

From this month's newsletter:

I like dark roast, preferably smooth and rich, without any burnt aftertaste. I grind and brew mine from the bean at home. Current favorite? Kicking Horse, Grizzly Claw.

I also enjoy a really good decaf. Verena Street's Sunday Drive Decaf is also terrific for the same reasons I listed above. I finally found a decaf that was rich and smooth without a heavy aftertaste.=)

I like some cold milk to cool it down (because who wants to wait 20 whole minutes just to drink your cup of coffee? Especially in the morning?!).

Instead of white sugar, I like to add a touch of Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Powder - Dark Chocolate & Cocoa. It adds a nice touch of flavor that adds to any coffee I'm drinking.

Why do I drink coffee in the first place? I found out earlier this year that coffee is really good for my particular brand of ADHD. I'm on a spectrum that makes me prone to headaches and migraines (I'm one of those that - unlike many people and thanks to direct experience - never confuses the two).

Six months ago, I began to study coffee and its effects on ADHD (Johns Hopkins University - the folks who diagnosed me with ADHD, and WebMD were especially helpful). I learned that coffee, if enjoyed responsibly (less than 200 mg of caffeine/day, don't drink it 8 hours before bed, things like that), the number of migraines and headaches I've suffered every month has consistently lessened, leading to improvements in my daily life and routine. Hooraaay! 8D

But back to coffee. So why do I drink my coffee this way? Because years ago, I read a certain book that basically said, "you be you." And so my fellow Sharkies... I gotta be me! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann

P.S. Your turn, folks! What kind of tea or coffee do you like and why do you drink it? C'mon and "spill the beans" with me already!
I don’t have much to contribute but I appreciate how thorough this response was. I feel the urge to drink a coffee now haha. I personally love a nice southern sweet tea

Maybe you have the wrong coffee? I genuinely look forward to mine. What kind of flavors are you into? Earl Grey doesn't taste of citrus though it's made with it, right?

Maybe you have the wrong coffee? I genuinely look forward to mine. What kind of flavors are you into? Earl Grey doesn't taste of citrus though it's made with it, right?
Earl Grey is flavoured with bergamot. When I was a kid, I thought it was a pear. But you are right, indeed, it is a type of citrus. Though it seems to taste differently than lemons or oranges.
As for the coffee, it's just a ritual. I got used to it (partially because it wakes me up), but I don't really drink it for the taste. Or, let me rephrase it, it's an acquired taste :D (And I seem to be still acquiring it XD)

While you're probably using the coffee to wake you up, one of the best citrus-flavored coffees I've had is Black Rifle Coffee's Just Decaf. If I was into citrus-flavored coffee, I'd order it regularly. I've discovered I'm far more into smooth, chocolately dark roasts like the ones I've linked earlier.

Is there a particular brand of Earl Grey that you fancy?

While you're probably using the coffee to wake you up, one of the best citrus-flavored coffees I've had is Black Rifle Coffee's Just Decaf. If I was into citrus-flavored coffee, I'd order it regularly. I've discovered I'm far more into smooth, chocolately dark roasts like the ones I've linked earlier.
Good to know!
Is there a particular brand of Earl Grey that you fancy?
Currently a local type enriched with cornflower. And in general I also like Earl Grey with lemon, but that does not always meet my taste. Can't say why, tho. Some just cast the spell, and some don't :/

I find it impossible to disagree with that - either food has the "magic" or it doesn't! =)

I don't really drink coffee. If I do, it has got to be mixed with all sorts of things; cream, sugar, Torani, etc. I guess I'm not much of a tea drinker either lol though when I do it is mainly sweet tea. That's a thing down here where I live at. Some people like to use too much sugar where you can see it at the bottom of the cup or not enough where it tastes like... unsweetened tea. I definitely like mine somewhere in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back