Experiences What is the most difficult part of roleplaying for you?

Honestly this is a weird one and might just be that I'm a bad writer..but. I often find when I'm writing a CS I have a very specific personality in mind and I know how they speak and act, but then once I actually start to RP, I find the personality comes out different from what I intended? I don't mean like, they become inconsistent and all over the place, I mean I explain their personality one way but then when I actually start writing them they turn out slightly different. It always feels difficult to stick 100% to how I explained them in their CS once the rp actually gets going..

OOC Chatter.

I know so many people love it, and I am a pretty friendly person, but sometimes all I want to talk about is the RP. Figure out what's gonna happen next, and nada else.

I know. It's stupid. But when I get into the writing vibe, I get into the writing vibe and OOC Chatter changes the station, you know?

OOC Chatter.

I know so many people love it, and I am a pretty friendly person, but sometimes all I want to talk about is the RP. Figure out what's gonna happen next, and nada else.

I know. It's stupid. But when I get into the writing vibe, I get into the writing vibe and OOC Chatter changes the station, you know?

So to be clear you don’t consider talking about the roleplay itself to be OOC chatter?

If you don’t mind my asking what would you consider that? As I talk to my partners all the time about things relevant to the roleplay and I have always considered that to be OOC chat, as it’s me talking to them not our characters talking to one another.

For me it's finding games on this website that isn't 100% weeb to the max, full of minors, or based on/related to fandom.

Easily my biggest difficulty when it comes to RP would be writing a post without some background music playing. Usually if I don't have it then my post's tone has a 50/50 of being either what I wanted or really not what I wanted. But when I'm writing with say, some Jazz Noir on in the background, I can convey my tone and everything just the way I want it to. It just sucks when I don't have access to the music.

So to be clear you don’t consider talking about the roleplay itself to be OOC chatter?

If you don’t mind my asking what would you consider that? As I talk to my partners all the time about things relevant to the roleplay and I have always considered that to be OOC chat, as it’s me talking to them not our characters talking to one another.

Nah I don't think they mean that. That's what they're saying they don't mind/like doing. I can understand where Kai is coming from. I've had plenty of times where I'm super in the vibe of the RP and I want to figure out what's happening next, or unravel new revelations and the like, but an OOC is busy talking about cats and what their favorite episode of Friends is. It can take the wind out of your sails when you're in that vibe.

Writing longer posts. I can write a paragraph and a half at my absolute best. And that's my best.

Nah I don't think they mean that. That's what they're saying they don't mind/like doing. I can understand where Kai is coming from. I've had plenty of times where I'm super in the vibe of the RP and I want to figure out what's happening next, or unravel new revelations and the like, but an OOC is busy talking about cats and what their favorite episode of Friends is. It can take the wind out of your sails when you're in that vibe.

I guess my confusion is I’m not seeing the difference? As I would think the two ideas are not mutually exclusive. In my experience you can talk about personal life AND the roleplay at the same time.

I’ve never had anyone who only wanted to do one or the other.

Which I think where the confusion came in. But that seems to just be a matter of difference experience so I’ll take your word for the scenario.

Certainly I think having someone be uncommunicative is annoying.

Visualizing my own character. It sound really dumb, but I have to intensely describe my character, even to myself, so that I get an idea of how they look, act, and mentally work. Even when I played D&D, I had a really hard time visualizing the scenery (I was a Troglodyte, still no regrets).

Another main problem when I RP is getting enough lines in that satisfy my writer's needs. Most of the time, I try to add as much detail as possible, and not be able to visualize it, I sometimes got criticized for not getting the scene right.

most of this is prolly my anxiety idk lol

Definitely finding RP partners but also trying to stay motivated even when I do like the RP, it just vanishes or something.

Getting my characters to talk to me! My characters inevitably seem to wind up as tulpas (neat concept, check it out if you're not familiar) and if they aren't happy with the way a roleplay is going or just aren't feeling chatty, I'm stuck. Trying to force a post when that happens just feels awkward and painfully out of character.

I won't lie: character sheets! The bane of my existence!

Why, God, oh why! Les dangereaux!

But, seriously, I'd rather much prefer revealing my character through lavish textual tangents than character sheets, because, well, I sometimes feel like I'm treading on stale footpaths if the sheet demands complete detail.

But it may just as well be an excuse for me to write longer.

Finding somebody who can cater to my (sometimes wild) tastes.

Haha, that's for sure.

One of the other problems I've encountered is people who can't quite comprehend my prose stylings. It is eccentric and bizarre, to be sure, yes, but I find it very difficult to abandon my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back