Experiences What do you do when you're hyped for a scene in a campaign but need to wait for the next session?

bastion

just a little guy
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Well I'm currently going feral because my gaming group is gonna be having a big, emotional confrontation between our player characters tomorrow that I've been getting amped up for two weeks now (couldn't play last week) so might as well see how others deal with this situation.

Have you ever been in a roleplay / campaign where things start to get intense, but then you run out of time and have to stop till your next session? What was that moment for you, and how did you manage the excitement and impatience during the wait?

In my case, I'm playing a Heart the City Beneath game (although in a completely homebrew world) that has a strict cut off time due to player schedules being so different. This means sometimes something exciting happens and we need to call it just when it's about to get intense. On top of that, we can only meet on one specific day at a specific time each week, so if someone can't make it we just have to wait until the next week. This is what happened last session. So now I'm gonna tell y'all about the session and why I'm going feral because what else can I do at this point?

A different player's character, Lain, is a clayperson. As the name suggests, she's a person made from clay (with a wireframe and a magical lava core.) Claypeople just naturally and randomly happen in this world, with no one to teach them, so they must observe other creatures and model their appearance and behavior based on what they learn.

During the party's travels they stop in a village currently being harassed by a strange creature, which they soon learn from the local clayperson (who's keeping what they are a secret from the village) that it's a new clayperson. For some reason the "clayby" (as I like to call them) stopped modeling after the local humanoids and started modeling after a predator. The party naturally decides to help get this clayby back on track to being something that won't be hunted down, and while they're at it, eliminate this predator that's been hunting the villagers.

The party splits in two, with Lain and the party empath attempting to help the clayby, while our combat members handle the predator. The hunt goes rather well, with the combat pair only getting a few minor injuries and my cleaver, Giggles, getting a bit poisoned (it's fine, she ate some of the monster's poisonous flesh to heal up. No this does not help with the poisoning, but it's fine.)

Meanwhile the social party is not doing so great. The clayby is refusing any attempts at communication, seemingly unable to understand. Not only that, but it keeps fleeing. Lain is getting absolutely fed up that this dumb being will not listen to her logical arguments and accept she's right. The empath gets a leg injury from helping the clayby when it gets stuck (just for it to flee again) that has her trailing behind.

Lain ends up confronting the clayby alone. Except she's not alone because she happens to have caught the interest of the Weaver God and had some god threads on her. These threads restrain the clayby in exchange for an unnamed favor from Lain. With the clayby unable to escape, Lain starts hammering the monster parts off the clayby until only the humanoid form it had created remains.

Then the Weaver God offers to help Lain fix the clayby. The pair can reeducate it in the Weaver's realm. Lain agrees because she's a fan of the Weaver God due to a past fallout. The empath reaches Lain just a moment too late as Lain tackles the clayby through a portal into the Weaver's realm.

Having seen Lain disappear, the empath is able to tear the stitches holding the portal closed and chases after. She finds Lain performing surgery on the clayby, literally reshaping it's mind. Unsure of what to do, she reaches out mentally to the clayby and for just a moment she  is the clayby. The empath experiences the clayby's confusion and pain, as it's being rewritten by Lain. When she returns to her body, she's furious. She takes a step forward, which is enough for the Weaver God to promptly throw her back out the portal and seal it back to, this time so tight she can't reopen it.

The session ends with the empath desperately trying to pick apart the threads holding the portal closed, but unable, and the combat pair about to encounter her.

And I'm dying.

My character, Giggles, is highly empathic (but not magically so) and tends to see themself in others to an unhealthy degree. Giggles also had a lot of trauma of not being accepted growing up and having been surrounded by people who only saw them as a monster and curse. This is because despite being human, when Giggles was conceived a primordial god used her as the conduit for it to have a child as well. Giggles is human, but also a child primordial god contained in a human body. Which really messes with ones mind, such as making Giggles perceive time as what happened ten minutes ago, what happened a minute ago, what happened a few seconds ago, what's happening now, what will be happening, ect. all at once. It's overwhelming and they're always laughing out of a weird instinctual reaction to it. They also look a bit dead, move erratically, and as a child tended to not talk at all while staring at people for hours without moving.

So Giggles  will tear their way through that portal to save that clayby, even if it means fighting their friend to do so.

I just know I'm going to get emotionally destroyed by this confrontation in the best way. I tend to put a lot of myself in Giggles since they're a stress relief character that I shut my brain off for, which means I'll be fully expressing my thoughts and feelings about rewriting a person's brain "for their good". I'm gonna yell, I'm gonna cry, I'm probably gonna curl up in bed in a ball afterwards with no energy left.

And now I don't know if I'll even sleep because I'm so hyped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back