Other What do you do when you're feeling down?

Malphaestus

Touched by the Apocalypse
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Thought that maybe a discussion like this could be useful for people who're feeling gloomy. A place for us to share our coping mechanisms, and maybe a place for people to try out new things. It's nothing grand, but hopefully it can be helpful to some.

I typically try and write something, to formulate my melancholy into impressionable words which I can interact with. I find it helps me feel a sense of control over my emotions, since I'm able to adjust words, add sentences, and shift meanings throughout. Not to mention the sense of satisfaction, no matter how little, you get from having completed something you think is a qualitative work.

I'm looking forward to what other things people might do, and hopefully, there'll be something I haven't even considered amongst them.

I'd say my number one coping mechanism is music. Especially if I have the chance to combine it with walking.

Especially since I had Covid and started to suffer long-term effects (my short-term memory is wrecked, I can't focus, have difficulties finding words, can't fall asleep to save my life, got the energy level of a loaf of bread... Fun times) it has become my most effective way to slow down the tornado in my head for a bit and feel less exhausted by, well, just being awake (still can't sleep though, heh).

Just grab my headphones, crank the music up until I hear nothing else and walk. For hours, potentially, preferably when it's dark outside.
(Gotta mention I'm living in a really small village where nothing ever happens, so it's not dangerous out at night.)
Alternatively, when I'm too tired to walk for hours, just sit down in the middle of the vacant roundabout and watch the streetlights.

And, of course, another coping mechanism I'm very fond of and will probably be keeping up for years to come---
Is writing.
Just talking to my 1x1 partners about whatever, plotting together or writing replies for rps, it just takes my mind off whatever is bringing me down, and although it's become far more challenging for me since I started to have said long-term effects, it's exhausting the way doing your favorite sport is- it's this good kind of exhaustion, the one that makes you feel content. :3

Mm... When I feel down, I generally don't immediately know why. So when I realize I'm down, my mind will often go straight to finding a cause, if it isn't painfully obvious already. I've worked up a good list of common sources over the past while. Lack of sleep, lack of productivity, friends/family/myself going through stressful situations... and sometimes I can't find an answer right away, and for the moment, I can chalk it up to depression and call it a day.

I know that's not really what you're asking, but I realize that just finding a reason, to me, is my coping mechanism. I'll take a step back, say to myself "I'm really not feeling well today", and treat myself as if I've got a mild cold or something. Full acceptance, sitting still, and just feeling the gloom. If it's particularly bad, I'll treat myself to a show, some food, or quality time with friends... Or quality time alone, too. Whatever my body tells me I need.

Then after awhile, I'll try and steer myself back on course. Try and combat whatever I think is causing it. I won't always do well, but I know I'm giving it my level best. A lack of productivity is usually the big stinker behind all of it, so I try and make sure I'm doing one thing per day to advance my life forward, overall.

Not sure if that's helpful lol but there you go!

hmmmm maybe looking at roblox cursed memes and then just be like: “ù-ú cursed memes is poggers”

hmmmm maybe looking at roblox cursed memes and then just be like: “ù-ú cursed memes is poggers”
im literally sorry if you needed bleach lol (you know am talking abt right?)

I think it's hard for me to realize when I'm feeling down, So at first, I generally end up showering. I know it probably sounds pretty weird, But something about just letting the warm water hit my back is really relaxing, especially if I remember to put on my comfort music. All the soaps smell good and you get out feeling cleaner? I feel like I can really rationalize my thoughts in the shower. I dunno, It doesn't make me feel better, but it definitely makes me feel better you know? ;;

After that, I think that doing things that really command my attention help a lot. I used to roleplay quite frequently because of this.

Art, though, is the biggest coping mechanism I've found that works for me. I carry a little notebook and a pen in my purse with me so I can ever just doodle a little if I get the chance when I feel anxious or feel myself slipping into a more depressed mood. ^^

Unfortunately writing is not the coping mechanism for me, when I'm feeling down I usually get writer's block as well. :(

So if I can, I go to sleep. Seriously, if I have an opportunity to sleep when I'm feeling down I just sleep. Because when you're sleeping you're not feeling down. When you wake up it's another story, but sleeping is probably my most sure-fire coping mechanism.

If I can't sleep then I talk to my friends or do other things I usually enjoy, like playing games or watching series.
If I'm at home and it's not night time, I play flute and try to pick the songs I like the most.

Been struggling with this lately and I've come to realize my new coping mechanism is seeking catharsis through RP. I never had a word for it until like a week ago but I always feel a strong need to write RP when I'm down. It's always the same theme/content too. Some young woman that needs rescuing from someone (preferably a guy) and goes through and emotional paradigm shift as she's treated right. I know that sounds INCREDIBLY cringey but it's cheaper (and let's be honest, more entertaining) than therapy.

Been struggling with this lately and I've come to realize my new coping mechanism is seeking catharsis through RP. I never had a word for it until like a week ago but I always feel a strong need to write RP when I'm down. It's always the same theme/content too. Some young woman that needs rescuing from someone (preferably a guy) and goes through and emotional paradigm shift as she's treated right. I know that sounds INCREDIBLY cringey but it's cheaper (and let's be honest, more entertaining) than therapy.
It is not the most immense of plots, but who are we to judge what works for others. I personally do not have any kind of particularized story which soothes me, but if others do, then that is only to their benefit. I've tried to find one, but that adventure has been ineffective.

Last edited:
I think it's hard for me to realize when I'm feeling down, So at first, I generally end up showering. I know it probably sounds pretty weird, But something about just letting the warm water hit my back is really relaxing, especially if I remember to put on my comfort music. All the soaps smell good and you get out feeling cleaner? I feel like I can really rationalize my thoughts in the shower. I dunno, It doesn't make me feel better, but it definitely makes me feel better you know? ;;

After that, I think that doing things that really command my attention help a lot. I used to roleplay quite frequently because of this.

Art, though, is the biggest coping mechanism I've found that works for me. I carry a little notebook and a pen in my purse with me so I can ever just doodle a little if I get the chance when I feel anxious or feel myself slipping into a more depressed mood. ^^
You are making sense, a sort of sensual cleansing is what most people typically feel when they take showers. It's a good element of any routine, not to mention the sensation of freshness, and renewedness.

I used to do art in a similar vein, though over time I realized how irritated I become when I am unable to visualize or manifest a concept I imagine unto paper. It is an impressive thing to pursue a craft to the point where you can be satisfied with your own construction. Or at least that is what I feel.

Last edited:
Unfortunately writing is not the coping mechanism for me, when I'm feeling down I usually get writer's block as well. :(

So if I can, I go to sleep. Seriously, if I have an opportunity to sleep when I'm feeling down I just sleep. Because when you're sleeping you're not feeling down. When you wake up it's another story, but sleeping is probably my most sure-fire coping mechanism.

If I can't sleep then I talk to my friends or do other things I usually enjoy, like playing games or watching series.
If I'm at home and it's not night time, I play flute and try to pick the songs I like the most.
Sleeping is a powerful tool, a sort of neutralizer. It works well.

Mm... When I feel down, I generally don't immediately know why. So when I realize I'm down, my mind will often go straight to finding a cause, if it isn't painfully obvious already. I've worked up a good list of common sources over the past while. Lack of sleep, lack of productivity, friends/family/myself going through stressful situations... and sometimes I can't find an answer right away, and for the moment, I can chalk it up to depression and call it a day.

I know that's not really what you're asking, but I realize that just finding a reason, to me, is my coping mechanism. I'll take a step back, say to myself "I'm really not feeling well today", and treat myself as if I've got a mild cold or something. Full acceptance, sitting still, and just feeling the gloom. If it's particularly bad, I'll treat myself to a show, some food, or quality time with friends... Or quality time alone, too. Whatever my body tells me I need.

Then after awhile, I'll try and steer myself back on course. Try and combat whatever I think is causing it. I won't always do well, but I know I'm giving it my level best. A lack of productivity is usually the big stinker behind all of it, so I try and make sure I'm doing one thing per day to advance my life forward, overall.

Not sure if that's helpful lol but there you go!
An immense skill, you have, to find coping in the act of pursuing answers. I am personally a tad jealous, as I am very familiar with myself. I would hope that this carries you far in life, because it appears like a tremendous skill you possess.

I should have made a singular post, but I'm too far gone.

I'd say my number one coping mechanism is music. Especially if I have the chance to combine it with walking.

Especially since I had Covid and started to suffer long-term effects (my short-term memory is wrecked, I can't focus, have difficulties finding words, can't fall asleep to save my life, got the energy level of a loaf of bread... Fun times) it has become my most effective way to slow down the tornado in my head for a bit and feel less exhausted by, well, just being awake (still can't sleep though, heh).

Just grab my headphones, crank the music up until I hear nothing else and walk. For hours, potentially, preferably when it's dark outside.
(Gotta mention I'm living in a really small village where nothing ever happens, so it's not dangerous out at night.)
Alternatively, when I'm too tired to walk for hours, just sit down in the middle of the vacant roundabout and watch the streetlights.

And, of course, another coping mechanism I'm very fond of and will probably be keeping up for years to come---
Is writing.
Just talking to my 1x1 partners about whatever, plotting together or writing replies for rps, it just takes my mind off whatever is bringing me down, and although it's become far more challenging for me since I started to have said long-term effects, it's exhausting the way doing your favorite sport is- it's this good kind of exhaustion, the one that makes you feel content. :3
Music is a harmonizing thing, it has the qualities of a cathartic nature, able to manifest emotions too veiled as to be malleable or describable, and pull them into 'reality.' I feel that it is as soothing as the sensation of someone understanding what you want to convey, without you properly conveying. There is a kind of solidarity in that, which I am most fond.

There are no proper answers, there are no flawed methods. Everything works for someone, so I thank you all for sharing.

I bake. I know it sounds weird, but the process of doing something with my hands gets me out of the overthinking space. It’s tactile and sensory. The touch, the smell, the taste. It allows me to be more present. It doesn’t always work, but knowing that I’ve done something and it helps me to think/frame things more positivitely. ”You tried. It’s okay.” Plus, you get a treat and you get to share it with everyone after.

Honestly, it depends on what has got me down and out.

If I've had an incredibly painful day at work, i'll often just run a bath and just soak for hours. I might bring my phone in but it's just so I can turn some music on and listen to whatever album just released that I've been dying to actually listen to.

One of the things that I love the most is music, especially hip-hop. My spotify account is usually just one motion away and it creates the most calming soundtrack to my daily activities that may be causing me grief. I can close my eyes and dissect a track: the beat, the lyrics, the melody... It's the best way to calm myself and focus less on the here and now and just hear what the artist wants me to.

I usually turn off all my electronic devices and draw. That might sound really simple, but it works for me, which is really good since I have depression. But seriously, if you're ever sad, just turn off your devices and don't go onto social media, because electronics can make those moments worse. However, if you're venting to a friend or talking to someone about it, then it can help in that case. But engaging yourself in an activity like drawing or going for a walk will help you get your mind off of whatever's bothering you.

Works significantly better if the weather's cold, but I like to brew myself up a cup of hot tea. Sometimes it's not the tea itself, but the process of making it that gets me out of my funk, especially since it makes the kitchen smell so nice and floral. Bonus points if it's something like lavender or chamomile, and I can just kind of cozy up with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back