Experiences What are some of your favorite plots or tropes to roleplay?

kiddhavoc

Unlucky Member
For example, I'm a total sucker for the 'ragtag group of misfits come together as a team' trope. I also love any kind of 'prison escape' plot where the characters have been caught by the enemy and must try to break out.

What are some of your favorites?

I love all kinds of escapes in times of danger/war/rebellions/betrayals. My past few roleplays on this site have based around some version of that and I absolutely adore the tension and all the possibilities that this kind of plot opens up.

I like stories starring a group of friends. Sounds really cliché when I write it out like that, but I just like the idea of characters being comfortable with each other from the get-go and seeing how well their relationships hold up.

I love the enemy-to-lover trope. The best friend-to-lover trope is a super close second.

Had a roleplay going between my oc and Maxson from fallout 4 and we were doing the former. It was the best rp I ever had where we were doing the enemies trope. Unfortunately its unfinished because I'm pretty sure they ghosted me which trust me I'm really bummed about. Haven't heard from them in nearly two weeks and not sure why.

Ooh where to begin

- I have a soft spot for the edgy trope of a character going through a lot of trauma and making them snap. If it’s handled poorly then it’s a cringefest, but handled well, I enjoy it.
- I love ancient characters. Whether they act ancient or not. I love the “super old character who has seen everything and is wise and also jaded because of it” trope... and I also love the whole “this guy is ancient but acts like a total dork” trope. Both are great.
- Role reversals. I love the dynamic in which a guy feels most comfortable in a sort of “housewife” role, and the woman is the strong/assertive/career-driven one. Or other similar role reversals.
- Opposites attract/enemies turned friends.

Love it when these tropes pop up in my RPs or in fiction or something

I hate admitting it but anything related to werewolves, just because I have this one werewolf character I made that I worship and I think the concept if done right could be interesting

Sadly, many werewolf rps die right away, aren't well-made, or have rpers who just don't fit my style unfortunately so it's a struggle of mine. I've also yet to see one that's been completed properly rather than abandoned. I still hold out hope I'll find a good one though!

Other than that, I'm game for anything with supernatural creatures at all and made up humanoid races because I love making species myself and normal humans can get boring. I also love me some superheroes, but I often run into the same issue as I do with werewolves with that one

I like "Good old days" Mechanics to a story -- the idea that the past was more powerful, had stronger magic, better tech -- The idea that there is not just so much to discover, but even more to "rediscover" it very attractive to me.

Listen I love Magical farmers or magical Zoologists to like a really nerdy extreme. Like I actually spend days researching real life farms and mythological animals and stuff.

I also love the idea of superhuman people living in a world where powers don’t automatically mean you have to be a crime fighter. I kind of love giving them like more or less normal jobs.

As to stories - slice of life stories exploring whatever magical or sci fi world I’m currently reading or creating in my own head. Where basically the central focus is just examining how the world works with the characters.

I have a few troupes and ideas I love to explore, including:
  • Possessive parents/lovers. My characters are usually under the thumb of someone so possessive it borders on obsession, and they EVENTUALLY realize this isn't the way to be. It's really hard to get someone to role play it but damn it's one of my favourite things (bonus points if the person involved is dark and powerful in some way).
  • AUs - particularly what if certain characters had flipped sides in some kind of conflict, or if the other side won
  • Manipulative characters
  • Power couples that could take over the world but are sat on the couch
  • STRUGGLE AND INTERNAL CONFLICT

• Red Oni, Blue Oni (in which I like to rp Blue Oni)
  • Opposites Attract (which is basically the one above but with romance)
  • Battle Couple (usually combined with the two above)
  • Forbidden Love (no, this doesn't have to be combined with above. but it might)
  • Sword & Sorcery (may or may not be combined with the ones above)
  • Enemies to lovers (if it happens, it happens at the start of the rp and the characters develop from there)
  • historical fantasy (because if I rp just historical I'd have to marry Wikipedia and I don't want to)
  • good old questing like go to the dungeon and kill the Undead Lich while the characters are figuring out relationships between themselves and the meaning of life

I can probably think of something else, but those are the main ones I like to rp.

Life or death situations that force the unlikeliest of people to rely upon one another and form a closeness that would not have existed without such extremes/external circumstances.

Ooohhh idk if these are exactly tropes or plots but if there’s an rp that doesn’t have these it’s rare:

1.) P I R A T E S

2.) Geniuses with Vaginas

3.) Non-Traditional Family Dynamics

4.) Men Baking Cakes

5.) No Parents, One Parent, Absent Parents? No Worries, Hella Parental Figures Abound

• SUPERHEROES.
  • Fandom Crossovers
  • Friendship. Just good old platonic relationships with no romantic implications straight or otherwise. Why does every guy-girl relationship have to end with a forced kiss?
  • Urban. Fucking. Fantasy.

I like when love goes up against all the odds. And I really do mean all the odds that fandom has to offer. From your common jealous rival to the barriers of time travel and repeat amnesia.
Oh, and triumphs, of course.

-Superheroes: It's hands down my favorite genre to roleplay.

-Enemies to lovers: I just love plots where two characters who are enemies who can't stand each other gradually start to warm up to each other, and finally fall in love.

-Older sibling assumes a parent role: It's one of my favorite kinds of plots, though I don't get to use it that often. Most of the time I prefer this over the usual parents in RPs.

-Time travel: I love the kind of plots that can be made with this. Time travel allows to combine genres you'd hardly ever be able to combine. Want to RP a sci-fi/futuristic setting but you also like medieval fantasy? Time travel makes it possible! Modern/realistic and a historical setting? Time travel can make it happen. Simply put, any two settings that are usually incompatible due to happening in different time periods can be used simultaneously if you add in time travel. Also, the kind of plots you can make with the characters who time travel (they meet their younger parents, or they travel to a distant time period and use technology in places that don't have that technology yet). All of that makes it one of my favorite tropes of all.

-Opposites attract: Again, another romance trope I love to use. Seeing characters with two very contrasting personalities, or perhaps even from two very different worlds, makes for a great plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back