Anime & Manga What Animes should I watch?

MegMath13

We're All Mad Here!
Heyo I'm just now getting into Anime I have Watched

• Mirai Nikki 
  • Diablok Lovers 
  • And I just got started on Yuri!! On Ice. 

I mostly watch comedy anime so if you're into that, try Saiki Kusuo no Psi nan and Watashi ga Motete Dousanda

Just going to copy my list here.

Yuyu Hakusho

Trigun

GTO

Gurren Lagann

Psycho Pass

Tenchi Universe

G Gundam

Gundam Wing

DragonBall Z

Dragonball

Samurai Champloo

Samurai Seven

Gantz, first season and some of the second.

Rurouni Kenshin

Cowboy Bebop

Wolf's Rain

Bleach

One Piece

Naruto

Fairy Tail

If you haven't watched any Studio Ghibli movies yet, I definitely recommend those. There's a whole bunch of them! My personal favorite is Castle in the Sky which might be a pretty good gateway because it hews pretty close to a traditional adventure story. Honestly pretty much the entire studio's output is at the very least worth watching. Most of the movies are total classics and there's only a couple duds among them.

Since you're a total newbie to the medium I could point you in so many directions. If the concept of magical girls is at all appealing to you, check out Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura. They're both pretty lengthy classics. Sailor Moon has a recent 'remake' but from what I understand it isn't as good as the original anime. I haven't seen it though so I couldn't give my opinion. It might be a decent gateway though if you want something that looks more modern.

I also recommend Hunter x Hunter. It's a solid adventure show with some really unique characters and the "power system" is really fascinating. There's a lot of variety in the story arcs, too. The second to last and longest arc has some weird pacing quirks but they didn't bother me too much.

ERASED is a short but sweet show that centers around a man with the ability to step back in time right before deadly events occurs. At first he uses it to save people from being hit by cars and stuff, but an opportunity quickly unfolds to undo a terrible tragedy from his childhood.

The Devil is a Part Timer! is another short one, this time a fantasy comedy centering around a demon from a fantasy world getting stuck in modern day Japan. He gets a job at McDonald's (well it's called MgRonald's but it's pretty much McDonald's in every thing but name). Hijinks ensue, and it turns out the troubles of the fantasy world follow him into Japan too.

Steins;Gate is another time travel show, this time about a bunch of nerds that accidentally invent a way to send text messages back in time. It takes a while for the story to get rolling but when it does it hits hard.

The Vision of Escaflowne is a very, very 90s classic about a girl who gets transported into a fantasy land. It has amazing music, very distinctive character designs, and a plot that gets totally bonkers towards the end. It feels like the essence of a 90s JRPG distilled into an anime show. Also, there's fantasy mechs.

If you want more movies, anything Mamoru Hosoda or Satoshi Kon (RIP, taken from us too soon) directed is worth a look for sure. Makoto Shinkai is a very popular director too but I actually haven't watched any of his stuff other than the short movie Voices from a Distant Star.

If you haven't watched any Studio Ghibli movies yet, I definitely recommend those. There's a whole bunch of them! My personal favorite is Castle in the Sky which might be a pretty good gateway because it hews pretty close to a traditional adventure story. Honestly pretty much the entire studio's output is at the very least worth watching. Most of the movies are total classics and there's only a couple duds among them.

Since you're a total newbie to the medium I could point you in so many directions. If the concept of magical girls is at all appealing to you, check out Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura. They're both pretty lengthy classics. Sailor Moon has a recent 'remake' but from what I understand it isn't as good as the original anime. I haven't seen it though so I couldn't give my opinion. It might be a decent gateway though if you want something that looks more modern.

I also recommend Hunter x Hunter. It's a solid adventure show with some really unique characters and the "power system" is really fascinating. There's a lot of variety in the story arcs, too. The second to last and longest arc has some weird pacing quirks but they didn't bother me too much.

ERASED is a short but sweet show that centers around a man with the ability to step back in time right before deadly events occurs. At first he uses it to save people from being hit by cars and stuff, but an opportunity quickly unfolds to undo a terrible tragedy from his childhood.

The Devil is a Part Timer! is another short one, this time a fantasy comedy centering around a demon from a fantasy world getting stuck in modern day Japan. He gets a job at McDonald's (well it's called MgRonald's but it's pretty much McDonald's in every thing but name). Hijinks ensue, and it turns out the troubles of the fantasy world follow him into Japan too.

Steins;Gate is another time travel show, this time about a bunch of nerds that accidentally invent a way to send text messages back in time. It takes a while for the story to get rolling but when it does it hits hard.

The Vision of Escaflowne is a very, very 90s classic about a girl who gets transported into a fantasy land. It has amazing music, very distinctive character designs, and a plot that gets totally bonkers towards the end. It feels like the essence of a 90s JRPG distilled into an anime show. Also, there's fantasy mechs.

If you want more movies, anything Mamoru Hosoda or Satoshi Kon (RIP, taken from us too soon) directed is worth a look for sure. Makoto Shinkai is a very popular director too but I actually haven't watched any of his stuff other than the short movie Voices from a Distant Star.

Just going to copy my list here.

Yuyu Hakusho

Trigun

GTO

Gurren Lagann

Psycho Pass

Tenchi Universe

G Gundam

Gundam Wing

DragonBall Z

Dragonball

Samurai Champloo

Samurai Seven

Gantz, first season and some of the second.

Rurouni Kenshin

Cowboy Bebop

Wolf's Rain

Bleach

One Piece

Naruto

Fairy Tail

I mostly watch comedy anime so if you're into that, try Saiki Kusuo no Psi nan and Watashi ga Motete Dousanda

Thanks everyone for the recommendations

Don't know if these were mentioned already but:

Attack On Titan (amazing and they're releasing the next season soon too)

Sword Art Online

If you're into romance and such:

Fruits Basket

Princess Tutu

Chobits

Last edited by a moderator:
Another. I think you would like that one.

I watched this as a Halloween double feature with Shiki last year, which is another recommendation. Shiki is the tale of what happens to an insular small town when vampires move in. Despite the kind of goofy art style this show is really, really brutal.

Don't know if these were mentioned already but:

Attack On Titan (amazing and they're releasing the next season soon too)

Sword Art Online

If you're into romance and such:

Fruits Basket

Princess Tutu

Chobits

And here's a site reference where you can watch anime for free

*link removed*

Also as an aside I'd like to encourage streaming anime legally whenever possible. http://because.moe/ is a pretty nice database for knowing what show's streaming where at any given point for the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Most major anime streaming sites offer a free option, but I understand regional licensing is a bit of a mess and not every show is available legal everywhere. The site linked here is a pirate streaming website and while I understand not everyone has a moral objection to pirating I try to mention the legit alternative wherever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched this as a Halloween double feature with Shiki last year, which is another recommendation. Shiki is the tale of what happens to an insular small town when vampires move in. Despite the kind of goofy art style this show is really, really brutal.

Also as an aside I'd like to encourage streaming anime legally whenever possible. http://because.moe/ is a pretty nice database for knowing what show's streaming where at any given point for the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Most major anime streaming sites offer a free option, but I understand regional licensing is a bit of a mess and not every show is available legal everywhere. The site linked here is a pirate streaming website and while I understand not everyone has a moral objection to pirating I try to mention the legit alternative wherever possible.

oh wow I didn't know but thanks ^^

oh wow I didn't know but thanks ^^

No problem! I understand sometimes there isn't an easy legal alternative especially because back in the day I was all up in downloading fansubs and being into some obscure stuff means some shows I like are either out of print or never even had an English release but it's nice to show your support whenever possible, or something.

One day I shall have the money and Japanese knowledge to buy all my anime/manga legally. Until then, 

Nana is a favorite of mine (haven't made it extremely far in the anime, but the manga was great.) It's about a couple of punk rock bands, a bit emotional with some darker themes. 

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood was my introduction to anime, really good, a bit dark. The anime is also finished. 

Skip beat is a bit lighter, revenge drama. Not much for romance, but lots of humor, and the manga at least is long running. (2004 ish to present)

Letter bee is really good, a bit dark but with a decent amount of humor. Fantasy. 

Bakuman is about two friends who work to create best selling manga starting in middle school, really good. The manga at least is finished. (Also underlying romance) 

Legend of the Legendary Heroes: Underrated and largely unknown but feels very much like a classic fantasy RP.

Heavy Object: An upbeat but clever Sci-Fi War Comedy.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Remake of a classic anime that pulls on a feel from old fantasy RPGs like Fire Emblem.

Persona 4: It's like Scooby Doo with emotional trauma and demons

The Fate/ Series (Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works): Combines mystical Hunger Games elements, which you'll like from Mirai Nikki, and epic fantasy action which pits heroic legends such as King Arthur, Hercules, and other famous warriors against each other.

@The Little Demon

Umm....depending on the genre you like, of course. But judging on the three you've watched...can I safely assume you're a fujoshi? XD (Mirai Nikki got a gay character, Diabolik Lovers consisted of mostly guys, and I won't even start on YOI) So...um. If you like sports anime with a bunch of bishonens like YOI then I guess Free! Iwatobi or Kuroko no Basuke or Haikyuu... if you seek for more action based then kuroshitsuji or pandora hearts will do as they got fujo-baits scattered everywhere lol. And theeen something similar to Diabolik Lovers is perhaps Amnesia...though personally I don't really like it. But like many have said up there, Fullmetall Alchemist is legend. So that's a must if you're heading to otaku world. Then again, you need to specify because I watched way too much anime to last me a life time XD lol no jk. But srsly.

I support and have seen nearly all the above people posted. Here are my top 3 picks.

1. You might like Code Geass. It's full of clever plot-twists and the main character is a magnificent bastard that will break your mind with his tactics and games. The ending is extremely, EXTREMELY bittersweet. Bittersweet is in fact the only way I can describe it, but it still leaves a huge impression. After I watched the end of Season 2, I just stared at the screen for 15 seconds with this expression: "o_o." Code Geass tells the story of Lelouch Lamperouge, a seemingly ordinary high-school boy in an alternate history where "The Holy Britannian Empire" conquered most of the world. After they dominated Japan and changed it's name into Area 11, he vows to obliterate Britannia to his best friend Suzaku Kururugi. He intends to do it using his strategical genius and the help of several friends. The third season is about to be released.
  2. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Assassination Classroom). Earth is threatened by an enormously powerful monster who destroyed 70% of the Moon with its power, permanently rending it into the shape of a crescent. The monster claims that within a year, Earth will also be destroyed by him, but he offers mankind a chance to avert this fate. In class 3-E at Kunugigaoka Junior High School, he starts working as a homeroom teacher where he teaches his students not only regular subjects, but the ways of assassination. The Japanese government promises a reward of ¥10 billion (i.e. 100 million USD) to whoever among the students succeeds in killing the monster, whom they have named "Koro-sensei" (殺せんせー Korosensē[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 238)]?[/COLOR], a pun on korosenai (殺せない, unkillable) and sensei (先生, teacher)). However, this has proven to be an almost impossible task, as not only does he have several superpowers at his disposal, including the capacity of moving at Mach 20, but he is also the best teacher they've ever had, helping them not only to improve their grades, but also their individual skills and perspectives for the future.
  3. One Punch Man. While not as equally compelling in terms of storytelling, One Punch Man is one of the best comedy anime out there. An ordinary, jobless man; Saitama saves a child from a monster attack despite being an ordinary mortal. Saitama feels compelled to fight crime like he wanted to as a child, so he trains. He trains so hard that his hair falls out and becomes the strongest man. The show very quickly establishes that Saitama is undefeatable, capable of beating all of his opponents with one, myriad punch and capable of countless other superhuman feats. The show is satirical, however we quickly realize that there is something more than comedy and that the main hero is frustrated with the power he amassed. The ability to defeat everyone effortlessly is... depressing. He feels no fear, anger, thrill, danger. All these emotions permamently leave him, as he becomes a blank shadow of his former glory. He sets out to become a known hero and find a worthy opponent that will give him the joy he wanted so badly. However, he is not lucky. He is the strongest man after all. The show constantly throws stronger and stronger enemies at Saitama, having the watcher think that they will be beaten only to surprise them shortly afterwards, as Saitama ends his opponents' life with one punch that he puts no effort into.

if you liked mirai nikki you'll probably like

- Zankyou no Terror / Terror in resonance. Without spoiling much it follows group of 3 teenaged terrorists in Japan. One of my faves

- Neon Genesis Evangelion. It starts off as a fairly normal mecha/giant robot anime, but is heavy on psychological themes and more about the emotions of the characters than any actual mecha battles.

- Re: Zero. There's tons of "icky unemployed loser gets thrown into magical fantasy land" anime but re:zero has been my fave so far although it feels a little slow sometimes. In short after being transferred to a fantsy land, after being killed the main character is able to repeat a few days leading up to the killing, and works to figure out how to get through loops. He does make progress and there are multiple loops, and not just one main one.

- Anything by Satoshi Kon. Paranoia Agent and Tokyo Godfathers are my faves by him. Paranoia Agent is... difficult to describe. Tokyo Godfathers is a lot more light-hearted and more of a comedy.

- Tokyo Ghoul except the manga, not the anime. The anime is fine but compared to the manga just doesn't hold up. I'm not a manga elitist but this is the one instance i'd never recommend the anime.

- Colorful is a movie about a guy whos died and because of an unkown crime, is unable to reincarnate. He is given a chance to live in the body of a kid that committed suicide to remember what his crime is. Otherwise he will cease to exist. Prepare for tears n shit

- Ajin if you don't mind the cg. It's really good for cg tho, imo, and it doesnt bother me. Basically immortals are being hunted down so they can be researched (which includes torture). Main character discovers by accident in front of his classmates that he's immortal after being hit by a car

-Kiseiju / Parasyte. Alien parasytes are taking over and killing humans. 

- Welcome to the NHK. NEET is depressed but a  girl tries to fix him. It doesn't go as planned. Is honestly way better than it sounds and is a classic. 

- Oyasumi Punpun. It's a manga-only (there's no anime) but is a masterpiece coming-of age story and covers tough themes like depression and toxic relationships. 

^Those are all psychological anime/movies, which is what mirai nikki was.

Then, other anime recommendations that arent psychological: 

- No. 6 I actually have yet to watch this myself but it looks really good and I've heard great things about it.

- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

- Mob Psycho 100. By the same guy who did One Punch Man but has actual plot and really well developed characters, not to mention the best animation of its season.  

-Baccano!

- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012

-  Boku no Hero Academia

- Durarara!!! 

- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

- Little Witch Academia

- Osomatsu-san

- The Rolling Girls

- Space Patrol Luluco

-Trigun

And I'm too lazy to provide descriptions lol.

Cory In The House for sol comedy

WWE if youre into bara men and over the top plotlines.

Attack on Titan

Akira (movie)

Guts (Original subbed series) 

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Original series and new movies)

One Punch Man

Uhh... I think one you might be cool with is The Wallflower. The English dub has great voice acting; (they really bring out the funny in the lines without making you feel bad). The scenes are also accented by drammatic music, one piece of which I think was supposed to be imitating a horror movie (maybe Psycho, but I don't watch horror, so I can't take it seriously.)

^(Originally, the premise made me shy away from it, but afterwards, I can say that--out of most of what I've watched, this series is the only one that had me laughing for more than 5 minutes at a time, for more than one episode.)

If your not into sports anime, but get the urge to seek out something with a unique art style, try Ping Pong: The Animation. The faces that one character makes (towards the end of the series) while hitting the ball are definitely memorable, and the angle/perspective shots/character quirks/dialogue seem realisticaly neato.

(I think that you can still find the above two on Hulu, but the next one you either have to buy for 10 bucks, or check YouTube--though it's a little hard to find it there nowadays..)

If you like anime movies, there's this really cool one about abducting aliens--it's a silent movie, except for Daft Punk music being played non-stop. It's called Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back