• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern What a Blessed City

Characters
Here

Rantos

The man with 1001 waifus
Pixiv.Id.29871659.full.2395220.jpg

The world is different now. Just last night in the metropolis of East Island, something no one has been able to describe has changed select individuals. Is it a mutation? God's blessing? The Devil's curse? Or simply the next step in human evolution? No one yet knows why these people took to the streets with what can only be called "supernatural" abilities.

How will this change society as we know it? Will it crumble? Burn down as something new arises from the ashes? Just how adaptable are we?

But more importantly, how will it change you?

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:15 PM
Tags: Regynleif Regynleif
It's impossible to wrap one's head around how such a small company can be so noisy. In such a small space too, most have given up working in quiet. Headphones are a must in that regard. Today was no different. The idle chitchat permeated the air. A range of voices, barking commands, official requests, casual conversation and the nastiest of gossip all mixed to create an atmosphere of noise. Conversations blending perfectly as to not be heard by wandering ears. But, if one listened close enough they could pick and chose the juiciest conversation to lend an ear to. A few open space decks were perfect for being in the center of it all. One such desk belonged to a woman named Amelie Sylvenis. Today, like always, there was a cupcake wrapped in reflective foil and adorned with the perfect amount of icing and sprinkle. Whoever made this cupcake, and the plethora that came before it, knew her tastes well. A little treat to accompany a little eavesdropping.

"Where's that damn intern! Is it really so impossible to get coffee and be back within the hour!?" A higher-up raged.

"He visited again today. Mr.Handsome stopped by to check on the editing process of his book. I wanted to say hi, but the words got stuck in my throat." A young editor swooned.

"Don't bother. That man may look handsome, but his personality is hideous. And he only has eyes for that temptress Sylvenis." An elder colleague warned.

"She's nothing more than a stank, that woman. A miracle worker? Yeah right. She's working something alright, but it ain't miracles." And a jealous woman spoke her heart.

Truly, these conversations were commonplace. The workplace atmosphere was lively, today at least. It was strange that out of all the conversations not a one was about publishing, or even books for that matter. But, these conversations were commonplace. Amidst all the hustle and bustle there stood a woman. Revered, feared, envied and loved and hated. At this current time, what could such a young woman be thinking? What could she be doing? Has a conversation caught her interest? Or an object catch her eye? Who can say for sure?

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:15 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amelie stood calmly before her desk, eyeing the cupcake and listening in on the other's conversations idly. "Another sweet treat, in my favorite flavor no less." She allowed herself a small smile as she picked it up to inspect it. Fully aware of the many eyes on her, she took a swipe of the frosting with her finger and brought it to her mouth with a quick lick. "Just as tasty as the rest~" she mused as she sat down and continued eating the treat. She tuned out the mindless chatter around her as nothing knew was being said and browsed her emails. She had just finished her latest project, something everyone was convinced would fail, but she knew it would end up netting the company a small fortune. Did everyone here forget that several publishers turned down Harry Potter at first? She couldn't help but chuckle at the thought.

If she could feel sadness, she would feel it now as she realized she had finished her cupcake. Carefully she folded the foil into a little origami crane and set it out on her desk to display. She had done this with the last few as a sort of thank you and let them live there for the day.

Returning to her computer she sighed. Nothing good was popping up and catching her eye and she was bored. Amelie brushed some hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. Maybe it was time to find a new play toy? She looked up from her desk and scanned the room, waiting for something to catch her eye.

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:18 PM
Archer.(Fate.Grand.Order).full.2377862.png Hawk-like eyes scanned the room, the staff knew that look, feared it for all its worth. It was impossible to tell what the woman was thinking, at least for them. They assumed her mad with no evidence. They assumed her mad as comfort. Because she was something they weren't. But how mad would one have to be to take solace in the delusion that maybe, just maybe, she was madder?

There were a few people who didn't mind the gaze. And one man who was quite fond of it. A dark-skinned, well-dressed, silver-tongued legend within the office space. One Zephyr Valentine. Conducting his usual business, which is to say, being short and snappy with the publishers. Make demands and present offers no one can refuse. At least until his eyes met with Amelie's. He hushed the man who he was talking to, declaring the conversation over. And when that didn't shut the man up Zephyr put a finger to the man's lips whilst pursing his lips. A low, patronizing, "Shhhhhh..." followed after. The conversation was over.

Zephyr made his way directly to Amelie. Ignoring everyone that attempted interacting with him. They didn't exist. They all became noises and blurs. But the woman before Zephyr was crystal clear. Now here he stood before her, he spoke.

"I hope my cupcake found you well." Of course, it did. The cake before this one was perfect, and the one before that was a masterpiece in its own right. Zephyr pulled a chair from another desk and sat down across from Amelie. Today, like most days, he engaged her in small talk. He talked about how his investigative journalism was going. All the while making witty comments about the quaintness of the office; snide and bitting yet not disrespectful. Outrightly, at least.

At one point there was a lull in the conversation. Filling the silence Zephyr asked. "Amelie, have you heard of a blog called Free-idiom of Speech? I came across recently. It's rant after rant complaining about the trite of the week. The way it's written is nothing special and a palpable level of arrogance is imbued in every word. Yet what they report... no, report is the wrong word. What they complain about is legit. Business scandals and court cases that haven't reach public ears yet."

The conversation was cut short. Another man, a higher up, came by and told Zeyper they needed to talk. Though unwilling, Zephyr obliged. He got up, didn't bother to put the chair back where it belonged and followed the man to an enclosed office space. Before Zephyr entered he called out to Amelie once more.

"I'd suggest giving it a look when you have free time."

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:37 PM
Tags: Rantos Rantos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amelie chewed on her pen in thought. She had obtained a bit of information from her encounter with Zephyr, including who the mystery baker was. So he was her secret admirer? She grinned at the thought. She had seen how he had honed in on her when their gazes had met, it would take little effort to completely wrap him around her finger. Zephyr had presented himself so confidently before her while she had been searching for something fun that her interest had been peaked. "I never really thought too much of him, but what a cute new plaything he would make." She grinned at the thought, quickly grabbing a post-it note and scribbling a message in elegant handwriting.

Standing up and sashaying over to Zephyr's desk, Amelie deposited the note somewhere extremely obvious. It read simply:

"Maybe sometime we should pair your delicious cupcakes with some coffee?
Call me 555-xxxx

XOXO Amelie"

Walking back to her desk she had no doubt in her mind that he would be calling in the next few days. Now onto looking into that blog that was mentioned, Free-idiom of Speech was it?
It took her only a couple of minutes to search for it and she browsed it even faster then that. It really was just a bunch of complaining but there was some gold in there concerning news. She could see how an investigative journalist would find it interesting and made a point of memorizing a few articles to chat with Zephyr about later. If she showed an interest in things he mentioned to her she was sure she could convince him that she was just as interested in him as he seemed to be with her.

Having nothing else to keep her occupied, she decided to call it a day and began packing up her things. She could do the next few revisions of drafts at home, no reason to waste her energy here any longer. She certainly didn't miss the few looks of relief at her impending departure. Maybe she should get a few people fired for their insolence? The office could use some new blood.

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:40 PM
"Damn idiot! I send you out at lunch and the day's almost over. I have half a mind to kick you out of this company posthaste you twat." Even if the building was small, the man's yelling shouldn't have been heard all throughout the building. Yet, this too was commonplace. It was around this time every evening when the ritualistic yelling took place. Today again, the intern, red ears striking against a backdrop of black hair, received his due. Laid into by his boss, he simply looked down at his own shoes while meekly nodding. The riot act continued and no one said a word. Harmful words followed after biting comments, one after the other. Surely at some point, someone would have intervened. But no one did yesterday, no one did today, and more likely than not, no one will tomorrow. Because, to be honest, Ira is useless as an intern, and everyone felt that way.

Once the man decided he had enough, Ira was dismissed. Hurriedly the boy got his things, his bags, and his laptop and left. Could it be that hidden under his mess of black locks a tear was starting to form? Or was it just a reflection of the light on his glasses? Only the boy would know for sure. He was the first to go. For most in the office space, it was quitting time. The riff-raff began to say their goodbyes. Zephyr still remained in the meeting room. When he visited the office he always stayed past when everyone else had already gone. That meeting room is where he would remain for the rest of the night.

But, who cares about that. What truly is important, is what our local witch decided to do with her time. With the world as her oyster, surely there was some adventure to be had, or a nightly ritual to be witnessed.

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 4:43 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey Sanchez."

Startled, the heavy set man looked up from his desk to find that woman looking down at him. Or more like looking down on him. Why was she talking to him? He had always been so careful to fly under her radar and yet those unsettling eyes were trained on him with such focus. "Yeah? What do you need Sylvenis?" He kept his tone respectful but it still came out more curt than intended.

Amelie allowed the man a small smile. "So I couldn't help but notice all the trouble that intern has been giving you." Sanchez felt his eyes widen. "Sorry if I've bothered you. Kid can't do his job to save his life." He knew his temper would bite him in the ass one day, but did it have to come in the form of this nightmare? "I'll make an effort to keep my voice down." Amelie leaned a hand on his desk and put on her sales face. "No need to apologize, it actually got me thinking. Why don't I take him off your hands? I'll need some one to help assist me when I take on my next big project and I think I'll enjoy the challenge of whipping him into shape."

He knew that look. This wasn't a request, it was something he couldn't deny even if he wanted to. Sanchez felt himself nodding before he had even finished that thought. "Yeah, if anyone can set him straight it'd be you. I'll get that squared away." That woman smiled at him again and he had to repress the shudder that threatened to overtake him. "Excellent." And with that she walked out the doors. Breathing a heavy sigh of relief Sanchez sent a quick email to his boss informing him of the transfer. When he got the clear he sent another on to Ira.

"Ira,

Effective immediately you are to report to Ms. Amelie Sylvenis for your work duties.

Signed
Harold Sanchez"

And with that, Ira's fate was sealed.

East Island - C train - 4:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train swayed back and forth, gently lulling Amelie into a trance-like state as she thought. That boy would be just as useless to her as he was to other's, but at least there wouldn't be anymore yelling. She didn't need any help, so she planned to just sit him somewhere out of the way with simple tasks to keep him occupied. Remembering that she had in fact had the chance to have taken him on when he first started annoyed her. Originally declining as she preferred working by herself, she had caused a nightly ritual that irritated her even more than it would have to just have put up with it in the first place.

The store light caused her to squint as she entered and grabbed the few groceries she needed to restock. When had she gotten here? Had she really gotten so caught up in her thoughts that her body simply walked her to where she needed? She didn't even remember exiting the train. Damn, already that kid was causing her problems. Finishing the shopping and returning to her apartment as quickly as possible, Amelie threw the groceries onto the kitchen counter in annoyance.

"I've expended enough energy today. I am not cooking." She muttered to herself as she grabbed her jacket once more. Her favorite little Chinese place around the corner was going to be graced with her presence tonight, she decided with a huff and the slamming of her front door. The little hole-in-the-wall restaurant was very rarely populated in the evening as most people ordered in and the staff never spoke to her other than to take her order, so it was a great place to relax. The door bell let out it's soft chime to announce their most recent patron and should anyone seek her out, they would find her tucked into a corner with a steaming dish in front of her.

East Island - Hung's Supreme House - 6:00PM
Tag: Regynleif Regynleif
Quiet, so very silent. Today too the restaurant was nearly empty, but tonight's air was different than usual. It felt stagnate, soft ambient sounds that could never cut through the prattle now rang clearer than any bell. the hum of the ice cream machine droned low, a bassline that one felt more than they heard. Knives and forks played an erratic percussive beat, banging against the snare of china plates. These sounds filled the room and with them brought a feeling of unease. The quiet, it was suffocating.

If not short lived.

The moon was full tonight. It hung in the sky, the celestial queen in her radiance almost unrecognizable as tonight, unlike the average night, it was tinted red. Not unlike the moon during harvest, but darker. A far more pronouced shade of crimson. It caught the attention of the staff and those close to the window. Yet no one batted an eye, no one spoke a word. Almost as if the crimson moon was little more than a monthly occurrence. Or, maybe, it's presence was no greater than that of this stagnate, suffocating, air. It was just so much easier to drown in the feeling of quietness. Painfully natural. Talking was taboo it seemed, at least for tonight.

But that burning feeling in one's mouth? Could it have been the suffocation, the food, or the burning need to speak on a night where words had no meaning? But that burning feeling in one's head? Could it have been from drowning in the quietness? The pounding in one's skull, the pressure forcing its way out, threatening to break a skull at the seams. And what could be said about this awful pain in the core of one's being? It wasn't a pain in the stomach or the heart. No, nothing so physical and transit. This pain existed in the core of one's being. Sharp, sharp, pricks from within and a scream to break the suffocation. Was it his, or hers? Yours? Unknown. All that could be known was the feeling. Sharp, sharp, pricks from within to call upon a pain, unlike any burn, bruise or cut. A rush of blood. A flash of light. Moments of darkness. And a cherry on the cake. The final crescendo. A mass panic.

Heat. Not from within, but external. Soreness had taken the place of the sharp pain, leaving the body numb, yet able to process the world around just as well as normal. More so, even. Had one's perception change. The colors and shapes known as mundane, suddenly so vibrant. Sounds that previously meshed together now sounded so clear, exact. And with such newfound perception, one may notice that their surroundings were aflame.

It started in the kitchen and spread quickly. Patrons and staff alike helped each other out of the burning building. A new form of suffocation as smoke and ash filled the air, and filled it still. It didn't take long those within to make it out. The building lit the night better than any street lamp. There everyone stood and watched and listened. There was still one within, and he was heard by all. Screaming; wordlessly, screaming; maniacally, screaming; ceaselessly. Only once the building had gone up completely and wholly in flames did the screaming stop. Only to be replaced by a new sound. It could be heard so clearly, why? Footsteps filled the ears of them all, footsteps from within. From within the flames, something shifted. A visage shifting changing dancing with the flames. The footsteps ceased. The crowd, an audience captive by they own morbid curiosity, watched as a man stood within the flames. Burn marks there were none. Blood flow there was none. Yet his body was ablaze. All he touched was ablaze. The air around him was albaze. And as someone reached out to him, reached a hand to pull them from hell, they too were set ablaze.

East Island - Hung's Supreme House - 6:16PM
Tag: Rantos Rantos
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."
-T.S Eliot

"Do you remember the day you were born, sweet child? You did not come into this world screaming and crying. No, you merely met it with your contemplative gaze. A body only minutes old with a soul that had seen lifetimes. Do you remember the first time you heard laughter? What an interesting sound it was, yet it pulled no mirth from you. Not even a ghost of a ghost of a smile. Do you remember when your parents told you they loved you? Such an odd word that evoked no warmth for you, for you had no concept. To this day, you still do not know what it means.

I'll give you a gift, sweetling, a blessing from myself. I will remove this haze of indifference from your soul and grant you the ability to feel. Feel as other's do, as they do, while they do. I give you domain over their joy and sorrow, their fear and contentment. My child, I beg of you, reek havoc on the emotions of all those around you."

The soft timber of the voice speaking was all Amelie could hear though it's source was unknown. Through the pain raging inside her and the panic swirling around her as she was led from the building, it was all she could focus on. Drowning, she was drowning. Which way was up? Down? Why couldn't she breathe? Her heart was racing, running, beating out of her chest. Was this what panic felt like? Slow down, she needed everything to slow down. The ground, it was beneath her knees. When had she gotten outside? When had she fallen? Slow down. One breath in, one breath out.

Slowly, so slowly, Amelie calmed herself and unknowingly calmed others around her. Looking up from her position on the ground she took in the sight before her. Fire and more fire, eating the restaurant from the inside out while onlookers gazed as if they were simply watching a fireplace. She stood shakily and spotted them. The men burning. No, more accurately only one was burning. The other was simply on fire. What was happening? Her thoughts were still running quickly. She needed to get out of here.

So she ran.

East Island - Wherever the path may lead
Tag: Regynleif Regynleif
And on her path, what fantastic images greeted her. Our running woman would find that the tragedy she had witnessed was not an isolated incident. It seemed that on a night such as tonight everything was fair game. The torchlight of burning building lining street blocks illuminated. Cars flooded the streets, stripped dry of passengers. Denizens were running to and fro without a cause. It was clear by the panicked looks, their bloodshot eyes with dilated pupils that didn't dare stay fixated on any object. Those eyes that spoke of the uncertainty of where they were going and of the fear of stopping.

And among those people, it was clear to see, we're those who were indescribable. A man huddled in a fetal position, three yards above the ground and stuck to the wall of a building as if that was his ground, his earth. Another woman ran past Amelie. Then, she ran past Amelie again. Then once more. Each time the woman left her eyesight she came running back 'round a corner just to enter Amelie's gaze yet again. A child cried for his mother. A voice that sounded near yet had no body of origin. And maybe if Amelie was paying attention, she would notice a slight pull on her pants, like that of a lost child gripping for something, anything that could offer comfort.

It seemed as though escape from these anomalies was impossible. Around every corner was an indescribable sight. Yet each anomaly kept to itself. Each suffering passerby seemed only concerned with themselves. Save for one. A man stalking in the quiet shadows, his gaze on Amelie and Amelie alone. His path set for Amelie and Amelie alone.

East Island - Some godforsaken alleyway
Tag: Rantos Rantos
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ducking quickly into an alleyway, Amelie struggled for breath. What in the ever living hell was going on in this town? Was she actually in a coma? That would explain things better than anything else she could come up with. However, the hand that slapped itself over her mouth squashed that idea, fast. A man, disheveled and manic looking stood in front of her whilst grinning with glee. "Caught you~" He almost sang, sour breath stinging her nose. "I honestly don't know what's happened to this shit-hole city, but I'm not complainin'! Because I can now do this." Without her consent, her hand flung itself against the wall and stuck there, unwilling to budge. Shortly after her other hand followed. She was pinned and couldn't scream out. Fear, real fear, gripped her heart.

"You're such a pretty little thing, I just can't help myself~" She closed her eyes to his advances. She wanted to puke, is this what revulsion felt like? Her gut twisted and churned, her eyes stung and she felt absolutely disgusted. And then just as suddenly as he had started, the man stopped his assault on Amelie to let loose his stomach contents on the ground next to him. She peeked one eye open to see the man wipe his mouth and look horrified. "What am I doing? This is disgusting! You are disgusting!" He yelled at her almost accusingly. She almost wanted to laugh because that's exactly how she felt about him, when it hit her. If everyone else had become some sort of freak, then maybe she had too? She recalled the voice she had heard earlier. "...reek havoc on the emotions of all those around you."

She was probably certifiably nuts for trying this, but she stared the man down while simply willing him to feel regret for what he had done to her. And unsurprisingly to everyone else but her, the man began sobbing uncontrollably. "I'm so-sor-rry. I-I'm so sorr-y..." he wailed before her. She kind of wished she had been crazy for believing something had changed inside her like it had others because that would be easier to deal with. But of course her life couldn't be that easy, now could it?

Amelie had to think quickly. She needed to keep whatever it was she could do a secret for now, and the only people that knew were her and this pathetic excuse for a man. Well, that was the first easy decision she's had so far. Without a second thought, his existence was erased from the world and she made her way home. So many terrible, terrible ideas filling her head along the way.

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 1 PM
Stagnate. So completely still.

The air today was oppressive, everyone felt it. The increased gravity which made getting out of bed a struggle, getting up the stairs a battle, and getting to work feel like a physical impossibility. There wasn't a cloud in the sky today. Looking up one would find such picturesque beauty in the sky with its soft gradient tones. So pure, as if purged from imperfections that were never known to be there until they were gone. The winds brought with them a new sent. Of revival and rebirth, a sent so pure and untouched. As if the world itself was born anew. Yet the air was all too still.

Stagnate. So utterly frozen.

Everyone could feel it. The employees of StillLight in their small little pocket of the world knew the feeling all too well. And refused to acknowledge it all the same. The conversations that once were commonplace were gone. Idle chatter, there was none. Even the shuffle of feet, the clink of keyboards and the swishes of paper seemed like far-off memories. As if those sounds never had the right to exist in the first place. The workers moved from point A to point B with as little delay as possible. No movements wasted. It all seemed too mechanical. Not a word was spoken.

"Um... Amelie. Or, Ms.Sylvenis. May I, uh, have permission to leave?" A timid voice cut through the stagnation, if only slightly. The young man stood at the side of Amelie's desk. He had no desk of his own, nor chair to call home. So he stood. He had already grabbed Amelie a cup of coffee, though it was cold when he had arrived with it. But once he had done that, he simply stood at her side, quietly waiting for an order to fluke. Though, he was slightly antsy. That much as clear by the swaying back and forward and the fiddling with his phone in his pocket. It was clear Ira had his mind elsewhere.

"I just," He continued. "I uh, just want to get some fresh air for a bit, is, all." He didn't look Amelie in the eye. Honestly, Ira was hoping she would say yes, no strings attached. But he knew Amelie. Or, he knew the stories. The rumors that permeated the office air, his ears were no stranger to them. Hopefully, she'd say yes. Please, say yes.

East Island - StillLight Publishers - 1 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tick....Tick...Tick...

The seconds seemed to move so slowly today, even though Amelie's wristwatch marched on faithfully. The shift in the city had reverberated to her very core, as if to mockingly solidify that things were different now. She was different now and she didn't like it one bit. For the first time she was experiencing things like self-doubt and even fear.

It was all very, truly, annoying.

However she was pleased to discover that it hadn't changed her views on people. Amelie watched Ira shift and fidget before her with almost sympathy before growing tired of it. With everything that had happened to her in such a short amount of time, she wanted to lash out and cause someone else suffering for a change. And what more of a perfect target for a hunter such as herself? She hid her grin which would have certainly scared the boy off before turning to him letting out a sigh. "You know, I could use some air as well. How about we grab some lunch?" Before Ira could ask what she wanted him to get she held up a finger and his jaw snapped shut. "I said we could grab some lunch. As in together." She smirked at his confusion as she stood up and grabbed her things before walking around her desk to his side.

Looping her arm through his, she all but dragged him outside the office and towards the central park that wasn't too far away. "There are a few food trucks that serve great food in a variety. The change of scenery is also a nice plus." She smiled at him as they walked. He was too easy to fluster, so unsure of himself that it almost felt to easy. She was a master of the long hunt, slithering her way into people's lives and leaving the same way as it burned around them. What more could this kid want other than some kind words and validation?

And just how easy would it be to break him?

East Island - Out and About - 1:10 PM
Horrible beyond a measure of a doubt. A shadow of fear formed in Ira's mind when he heard Amelie's response. The all too inclusive "we" made him shudder. Maybe she was just the kind to say we and then send Ira off alone to pick up fast food. Those hopes were dashed all too quickly by a finger on his lips and the realization that she was joining him regardless of what he had to say. Ira squirmed under Amelie's finger. When she finally lifted it from his lips Ira took one large air deprived breath and steeled himself.

Amelie dragged Ira, and he could do nothing but follow limply, offering little resistance. All the while Ira checked his phone with his free hand. Because he didn't have to think about where his feet took him, Ira engaged in a mechanical texting pattern. His phone went off with rhythmic timing. Every beep was a call to action, spurring Ira to pound away at the keyboard. One after the other with only a few seconds of delay in between. He was completely focused and his world became little more than himself, his phone, and a force compelling him forward.

There was a lull in the pattern. A silence devoid of the sound of Ira tap, tap, tapping. He spoke up: "Ms.Sylvenis, where are we going?" It felt like that had been walking for a while now and Ira still didn't know where they were going. Even with that information, nothing would really change. Even if it was a place Ira didn't enjoy he would still follow behind. Though, if given the chance Ira would like to lose Amelie. He prayed for a sudden crowd or even something to distract her so he could slip away. He prayed for a perfect situation because he wasn't going to create one. In reality, something like that probably wasn't going to happen. So Ira gritted his teeth and continued to make adjustments for his pre-existing plans.

East Island- Central Park- 1:13 PM

The tang in the air that permeated her nose, the soft sunlight filtering through the clouds causing her to squint slightly, the gentle chittering of birds and squirrels caressing her ears, Amelie took it all in with her sharp senses. Her blood raced with the new hunt and she was positively buzzing with excitement. Step one: observation and information gathering. The whole way here she watched Ira from the corner of her eye, taking note of the sending and receiving of multiple messages. His skittish behavior was captivating and she had to restrain herself. Patience is key, this one will need a gentle approach. Wouldn't want to spook the poor boy too soon~ she thought with a wolfish glee.

"Oh, I thought you heard me before. No matter, we're here already. Welcome to the circle." She smiled kindly up at him while sweeping her arm to bring attention to the array of food truck's parked in, you guessed it, a circle. "I promise I won't take up to much of your time, I just wanted the chance to chat with you outside of the office." Amelie released him from her hold and put her arms behind her back. She knew she had initially come on too strong so she was switching tactics. Minimize the space she took up, make herself small, keep a soft expression, make everything about her say "I am not a threat.", make him feel safe. Gazing at him, but not keeping eye contact for too long so as not to scare him, she waited and watched to see how he would respond.

East Island - Central Park - 1:25PM
The circle, eh? He had heard about it in passing but never had any interest in going. Food trucks were all too suspicious, especially in the city. Any runt could run one and health standards be damned. One too many days spent on the train home wishing for the sweet relief of death to whisk away the pain from the internal war of the south pipes have taught him to withhold his trust. That aside, Amelie had finally loosened her grip and Ira had never felt so free. He was on guard, yet there was a clash of interests as Ira caught hesitant glances at Amelie.

While working at the office he heard rumor after rumor about the witch before him. And though she came on strong, looking at her now, Ira felt somewhat calm. Was it the warm smile, her soft features, or maybe her voice that called like a siren. Ira was on guard, but found his fortress slowly crumbling down.

"Why don't we, uh, go get food and meet back on that table in the center." And he retreated. He needed to think, away from her, and so he left to a food truck and hoped that she wouldn't follow. All these food cars seemed so unappealing, and so many of them were closed. Actually, now that he was looking, out of the fifteen-odd trucks that were here, only five of them were open. Not only that, but there were empty lots, vacant spots that suggested more trucks should have been there. Not a single truck had a line, they were perfectly alone, and that was worrying. The silence was unnerving and as Ira made his way to the center table, onion rings in hand, the only solace he found from the suffocation of silence was a single alarm from within his. Ira didn't need to check his phone, the vibration communicated more reassurance than words ever could. So once Ira had returned to the center table, noticeably more relaxed, yet still silent. Stealing glances at Amelie, almost compulsively. He just had to wait now.

"I'm on my way."

East Island- Central Park- 1:31PM

Amelie bounced on her heels with glee. Ira had agreed to stay, of his own violation, and she was excited to start laying the foundations of her trap. Giving him space she went up to the truck serving street tacos and ordered a couple. Watching him out of the corner of her eye she kept her goody two shoes charade going and was pleased to see him stealing glances at her frequently.

Returning to the table after him, Amelie sat down across from him and gave a sheepish smile. "So I'm sure you're wondering why I dragged you out here. Im sure you've heard a lot about me from others and I kind of wanted to address that now that we're working together." She gently picked at her food while keeping her eyes downcast, as if she was shy. "I'm also sure everything you've heard isn't very pleasant." Amelie let her voice drop and let a sad look flit across her face. Looking up at him with a remorseful smile she continued. "In order to do my job without interference or prejudice for my age I've taken on something of... a role at work. I love the work I do, but if I let anyone walk over me or show any weakness I'd be dead in the water." A little rueful laugh left her lips.

"So, to be honest with you, most of what you've heard isn't true. It's just a show I put on at work. I just wanted you to know that." Another small smile sent his way. She was just too good at this, the perfect recipe to get his guard to drop. It was too easy to play innocent.

East Island- Central Park- 1:35PM
Yuuki.Makoto.(PERSONA.3).full.2124064.jpg And so it all melted away. The resistance and hesitance. The walls came down and his heart of ice melted away. Ira was a trusting short, none too foolish, and there was a soft spot in his heart for those with a tragic circumstance. Amelie had wormed her way into that spot. As her story progressed, Ira became more attentive. Whereas before Ira could only face the women before him for seconds at a time, now his gaze locked to Amelie's eyes. And in her eyes, he found the soft truth of her sadness and knew her story was true.

What a fool he was.

"I understand what you mean Ms. Sylvenis. The working world is one filled with envious adults who can't handle the reality that those younger then themselves have a higher potential." And with those words ignited the faintest fire of passion. Ira's voice rang louder and more emotional than before, if only slightly. He wasn't sure exactly what to say. He took a bite of his onion ring, chewed for longer than necessary as an attempt to buy time, think of something to say. And in the end, he thought he found something.

"I'm on your side, then. We neo-generationals have to stick together." It was simple, but the best Ira could offer. There was a small lull in Ira's contributions to the conversation. He stayed quiet and listened to Amelie, hung on every word she had to say and willingly wrapped himself around her finger with every second. A few minutes passed before the sound of footsteps cut through the quiet all too clearly and met their ears. Heavy rhythmic steps. Steps that demanded attention. A short looking man, or an average height boy, sauntered towards them. Hair as blue and moody as his facial expression. And his gaze, was unbroken from Amelie as he approached. His eyes, grey and lifeless, told her nothing as they stared fixed, unfaltering. The boy sat down, at their table, next to Ira, across from Amelie, gaze unbroken and unkind.

"So. Who's this?" The boy inquired, unfaltering eyes deadlocked on Amelie.

"Starting today, my boss at StillLight. She understands the neo-generational struggle." The boy's only response was a raised eyebrow which gave emotion to his dead eyes which previously spoke nothing.

"I don't like her."

East Island- Central Park- 1:37 PM

What a simple fool you are,

A smile, relieved and grateful, graced Amelie's lips at his response. This was almost entirely too easy. She wondered briefly if she should feel bad for Ira, but brushed it off. If he wasn't strong enough to survive in this world, then who was she to pity him?

sweet little lamb,

"I'm so glad I can be more of myself around you." She said with all of the sweetness she could muster while gently leaning forward.

because what can you do,
oh what can you do,

Amelie reached across the table, gently wrapping her hand around Ira's own, giving it a soft and grateful squeeze. "I'm happy I can count on you, I hope you know you can count on me as well. We should stick together."

when you're in the hands of the damned?

So close, so damned close was she to catching this poor soul in her trap before the sound of footsteps reached her ears. She had let her own guard down with all of the attention she had placed on the situation, Amelie had forgotten to stay aware of her surroundings. Pulling back quickly, her gaze was trapped in the newcomer's as she followed his entrance all the way to Ira's side in quiet confusion.

His blunt statement of his dislike had Amelie balling her hands into fist below the table. No, not in anger, but in eager anticipation. She did not see the man before her as a person, but simply a challenge and it had her excitement flowing. A spark flit it's way through her eyes before she could contain herself, as she was still scrambling to raise her guard once more. Think calmly, girl, most people would be put off by that statement. Other's frequently want the approval of others, right? Straightening her back she let a brief offended look cross her features before resigning herself. "Well, I apologize for not making a better first impression." She allowed her eyes to drop, throwing in a little look of hurt as she began gathering her things. "I'm sorry if I interrupted plans you had, Ira. I'll head back to the office now. Feel free to take the rest of the day, there's not much left to do that I can't handle on my own." Amelie caught Ira's attention once more with a smile as she rose from her place. How curious she was to see her hard work come into play. She was hardly going to let him out of her sight for now.

East Island- Central Park- 1:37 PM
"You really have to present yourself like that, Seb?"

"I'm not apologizing. Especially after such a submissive response." Finally, the boy informally called Seb took his eyes off Amelie, he leaned back on the bench like chair, holding tight to the edge so he did not fall off and for a moment just watched. Ira stood as Amelie walked away, calling after her. "Amelie he's like that with everyone." "It's true." the chorus of one spoke after. And Ira spoke again. "Please, sit back down." The chorus of one called again. "Any boss of Ira's is an enemy of mine, and all my enemies deserve a spot at my table." A sentiment that was met with a hit to the arm and a disapproving glare, both curiosity of Ira himself. Seb seemed unfazed, but looked up quizzically, as if he didn't know what he had done to deserve such a brash treatment.

"I want to talk about last night's debauchery. So join us." Seb said.

East Island- Central Park- 1:38 PM

Not having gotten far it wasn't hard to overhear the boys talking. Internally Amelie grinned when she heard Ira coming to her defense. Calmly she turned back to the duo as they continued going back and forth speaking to her and made her way back quickly, settling into her seat. "I guess I should preface with the fact that I requested Ira's transfer to my care because of the abuse he was receiving from his previous boss." She smiled at Seb. "Though I would prefer it if you based your opinion on me by actually getting to know me." Head on hand, she looked at him pointedly.

"Now, what about last night are we talking about?"

East Island- Central Park- 1:38 PM
"Well now, someone sure flipped the script quick."

"Yo, Seb, chill." There was the slightest hint of something that wasn't there before. Ira's voice carried with it the slightest tinge of aggression. Though, not so much as to cause alarm. It was enough to make Seb raise his hands as if to say he was surrendering. Yet the expression on his face, baffled as it was, made it clear Seb wasn't sure why he was on the receiving end of such aggression. The boy pulled out his phone and began tap, tap, tapping away while he talked.

"I'm sure y'all had a crazy night last night. I can't speak much for Ira, but you Amelie. You seem like you get around. Well. If you happened to find yourself witness to a crazy light show, a burning building, random explosion, or some other thing I want you to know-" Seb placed his phone in the middle of the table, holding it up as to provide both Ira and Amelie a good view of the screen. "-It wasn't an isolated incident."

And he was right, the web page Seb has shown them both was a blog, FreeIdiom of Speech, one that told about the events of the night prior in great detail, and one that confirmed his claim. Images were posted, pictures that held scenes unimaginable, at least, they would have been before last night. But oddly, at least for Ira, looking at a picture of a man as his arms are replaced by blades, he didn't doubt the validity of the image.

"And people are saying that the epicenter of it all happened right here." And Seb scrolled down to show them an image of a crater, no bigger in diameter than a block.

East Island- Central Park- 1:39 PM

Amelie smirked internally when Ira came to her defense. Maybe this was just something he was used to doing because of Seb's rough demeanor, but maybe she had really started worming her way into his heart. Either way she could work to her advantage. "It's alright, Ira, I'll survive." she said with a placating smile.

At the mention of last night's events, however, that smile was quickly lost. "And here I was hoping it was simply a Chinese food induced fever dream." Amelie muttered, not necessarily to herself. At Seb's comment of "You look like you get around." , she glared at him before moving her attention to his phone and what he was showing them. Distracted by all the pictures, she let out a small gasp upon seeing the one of the crater.

"How come this isn't on the news already? Why is it on this more obscure site? And what the hell." Amelie thought aloud, momentarily 'forgetting' her company. She furrowed her brow in thought and brought a hand to her chin. She sure was playing it up that she didn't have any real knowledge of what happened, but she couldn't risk being found out as one of the individuals affected by whatever it was that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back