• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Waves of Dementia, A Marker's Calling... (Dead Space)

He shook his head and cursed, "What the flying fuck... so the goddamn sanskrit bullshit I'm seeing in tandem with migraines is that goddamn space rock," he asked in disbelief. "And what the fuck is convergence and /make us whole/ supposed to mean anyway? I'm not seeing shit on any of that," he thought out loud as he dug for more answers. As he dug and thought about contacting the Sprawl more and more, he worried for Smith and Buck. It had only been about fifteen minutes, maybe a little more, but still. They lost connection abruptly and it didn't sound good when they were talking before that.

"From what little I know about Unitology, convergence is the equivalent to an afterlife. It's becoming one cosmic entity and finding nirvana." She only knew a handful of believers and a lot of them had high places in Earth Gov. Some of the reports she deals and the coding revolve around the belief.

She turned back to the panel to contact the Sprawl, the sooner the heads up the more they could plan. Typing in the call link and pulling up a channel she was met with an orang screen with static. Her eyes locked on and stared into the glow. Her full attention was on the empty call.

Nick heard the static and it snapped him from his thoughts. He looked over to find the orange static on the screen. "Dead line... fuck," he cursed, about to say something else when he realized that Reynolds locked onto the screen, entranced, paralyzed.

"Reynolds," Nick asked, confused and a bit scared. He hadn't seen her like that before, even after all they'd stared down, but that blank, dead fucking stare... It scared him.
"Reynolds," he addressed again, his voice more stern.

Liz could hear a faint voice, familiar to her. It spoke her name, it addressed her. Who was it? What was she doing? Her body felt light, for once today it was calm. And then the voice again, more distinct this time. She felt like she was falling, her body was heavy now.

She fell. Crashed. "What?" She said in a dreary tone as she looked away from the screen, her head was throbbing in pain now. "What? Sorry, I blanked our for some reason, I can't explain it... Lets leave, I don't think the Sprawl is gonna be picking up anytime soon." She held one hand to her head as she power walked to the door. Now she was spacing out? What the hell is this rock capable of she wondered.

"We gotta reach Buck and Smith, I'm also guessing our relay tower is down, so only short range calls are gonna work."

"I guess all we can do is hope that distress beacon made it out," he muttered as they left.

Nick thought he was having it bad with his headaches and seeing chicken scratch, but Reynolds, she was losing it even more than him, surprisingly. He had his moments, but he never went catatonic like that and he hated to think of that happening again to either of them.

Nick pulled up his map and the two worked their way toward the fuel depot, hoping the issue with the batteries was better now than it was earlier. There was still no word from the security team and they didn't answer the calls Nick and Eliza sent their way.

Liz pushed the scene in the comms room deep down, not only was that embarrassing and unsettling but it Couldnt have been good to look at. She had to keep her shit together, Nick was seeing things but he was handling it better. Maybe this is based on feelings, it could be guilt getting to her.

Nonetheless, they made way down to Engineering and towards the fuel depo. It was clear that Buck and Smith fought their way, slashers and lurkers littered the halls and door ways, some dangled from vents or holes in the wall. Body parts were like gorish confetti. Liz ignored it all until they hit the depo. Plenty more bodies and junk piled up. At the far end of the depo was Buck, his legs were missing and half his body was burnt to a crisp. Beside him was a log.

"You check the fuel and batteries, I'll see what his log says and find out what happened in here. Let me know if you need any help." She looked to Peters and gave a small nod, she attempted at a smile, but it was weak. At least she tried.

The pit in Nick's stomach sank deeper and deeper and got exponentially heavy as they neared the depot. All of the shit that Smith and Buck killed along the way in combination with the unbelievable amounts of viscera. It almost seemed like someone threw the bodies into a wood chipper and went buck wild with it.

Buck was toast, no pun intended, and something had made off with his legs. They were clean cuts, leading him to believe that a tool of some kind was used on him, but he couldn't justly assume. He needed absolute proof, but the cuts were too clean to ignore.

He followed Eliza's suggestion and took a look at the batteries and fuel situation. Much like Smith said, the batteries were pretty much fried. More than half the cells were useless and those that weren't didn't have but a third of a charge. Then there was the fuel. What little there was left he assumed was used on Buck because there was nothing but vapors in the reserve tanks. That was probably the strangest thing of all.

"Something is seriously wrong here, Lizzie," he said with dread in his voice. He almost didn't notice the pet name he'd just given her. They weren't close at all, but it just came naturally so he rolled with it.
"There was some serious neglect going on here. I smell serious foul play."

Liz looked Buck over, the burns wouldnt have killed him, messed him, but he could have been helped. Why wasn't Smith here, was he dead? Thoughts for later. She activated his RIG and played the last bit of recording from his helmet, about half an hour ago.

It starts with the two clearing the depo, pretty standard for them it seemed. They swept the floor with the crowd that was in here. Then Smith worked on transferring fuel and mumbling something but it was hard to heard over the remaining shots Buck was putting into an enemy. Suddenly, a loud bang made the men turn to a vent higher up. Three or four of the enemies they tried to warn Liz and Nick about were bursting in. Buck too over the fuel while Smith fought. After the call back in Comms went down, Buck connected the wrong set of wires and blew a fuel tank up.

She looked over at Nick as he called her Lizzie, the name honestly made her smile, if not blush a little. "It seems so, Buck and Smith were transferring fuel to somewhere other than the subs. And Lizzie, huh? You goin soft on me, Nick?" She teased as she approached him with the rest of the footage. The rest was another attack, Smith shock Buck's legs off to use him as bait while Smith ran away. "Coward."

Nick finally felt vindicated in his judgement of Smith's character, but he wouldn't badmouth him just yet. It'd be a waste of breath.

"Yeah, yeah," he replied to the teasing, feeling pissed that the two were double crossing them, but still, the fuel situation didn't sit right with him.

"They may have had an alterior motive, but the fuel issue is more than something that just happened." He pointed to the battery station and the fuel reserves.
"Those tanks hold a lot of fuel, and I mean a LOT. It would have taken /months/ for them to get as low as they did. And then there's the batteries. With regular maintenance they should have lasted at least another decade. So why the he'll do we have over half a rack of duds with less than half remaining at 30 percent at best? And where the fuck was Smith taking the fuel and batteries to?"

Liz placed a finger on her chin as she thought, it didn't make sense. Nick had a point, he would know better than anyone. Someone has been syphoning fuel for some time, but why and for what?

"I can't say or suggest anything, but my money is on the Unitologists or the higher ups, hell, could be one and the same. Smith might know but running around after him is only gonna waste time. Can we fuel any of the subs or any type of transport?" This was only getting worse, every step it seemed they were in deeper shit.

Their options were dwindling, too. They Couldn't transport a lot of people, not that there were many left. Both times they ran around they only saw bodies and every second people were dying. Finding the culprit would prevent further troubles but it wouldn't solve any current or make up for the carnage.

Nick thought about the question for a second and was about to answer when both of their RIGs lit up with a call. It was Smith and he looked like hammered shit. He was about to start talking when he noticed we were at the fuel depot.

"Guess there's no explaining this, is there," he asked sarcastically and with as much a smirk as he could cross across his beaten face.

He looked to be in a cramped space and was fiddling with a control panel in front of him.

"You son of a bitch! Are you trying to bail on a pod? Are you out of your damn mind," Nick cursed, damning the security officer as he cruised through the water in the little pod.

Liz watched the call, watched the water be pushed aside as the pod propelled through. The pod shook as something brushed past, a large shadow passing over Smith's face as whatever blocked his lights. "There's something out there, Smith, you'd better hope it gets to you before we do." She added as she glared at the officer.

She was mildly surprised, Smith had a clean record and got the job done. But, he was panicky for a lot of today. What was going on got to him pretty bad. The pod shook again and came to a stop as something large curled around the vessel and began to squeeze.

Smith let out a blood curdling scream as what Nick could only justify was a massive tentacle wrapped around the pod. There was a second or two of pressurized metal giving way before the feed cut, leaving both Liz and Nick to their imaginations.

"He knew something was out there," Nick muttered. "We all felt Sanctum shake and knew whatever did it was big enough and powerful enough to damage the walls and flood some areas of the structure. He knew all of this and still went out there in a tiny ass pod, defenseless as a newborn being thrust into the world head first... why," he asked, bewildered. He had either lost all of his senses since they first met or he had suddenly become suicidal and he was almost afraid to find out which was correct.

Liz placed her hand on Nick's shoulder as she looked at him. "It's over, he got what he deserved. I think it's time we find a way out, too." At this point saving anyone would be suicide in itself, but it wasn't a bad thing. "Unless you want to keep trying to save the station, either way, I'm with you. I think I may have an idea."

There were a few ways in and out of Sanctum and it depended on what was coming and going. Plus, they still were in a crater, tides shifted enough to allow the roof to be accessed. This happened nearly every day, for Only about a few hours. Then a new tide would set in. The main problem being whatever was out there.

Nick felt he had a responsibility to uphold and rescue everyone he could, but it really did seem impossible. Besides, the beacon was sent. Even if Liz and Nick saved themselves somehow, rescue would save the rest, right? He tried to justify that to himself as he nodded to Liz.

"Let's just get the hell outta here. Way I see it, most of the people left here are Unitologists. If they want this so badly, they can have it. I want a tomorrow. I'm not gonna lose sleep over them."

He realized he may have come across as callous, but this who day has changed him. He didn't know if he could ever be the same afterwards.

As the two walked with no real goal in mind, just looking for a place to rest for five seconds without fear, Nick asked something of Reynolds. "Hey, Liz... If this shit breaks me," he trailed off, shaking his head before she could protest. "IF I end up like Smith, going off all crazy and doing shit that doesn't make sense, don't let me hurt you, okay? Cut me up good... I'd prefer to stay dead... can't hurt you that way. Can't hurt anyone..."

(I gotta shower and get ready for work. It's a short shift and I will reply as much as I can during and plenty after)

Liz nodded, she agreed with leaving the religious freaks to their own demise. Cold and cruel or not, they put this station at risk for some stupid idea of ascending. And with no pay increase.

She walked silently, until Nick's words broke the silence and her heart in a way, not romantically, but some shred of hope. Someone as reserved as Nick was worried about doing harm if things got bad, does the man ever worry for himself. She turned her head to look up at him. "Then don't turn, don't let me have to make that happen." She spoke softly, though the words might seem dismissive. "What I mean is I don't think that will happen. You're more mentally prepared than Smith, you have a better resistance to stress, you have to because every day you make sure nearly a thousand people don't die. You and your team held this place up, held our lives in your hands, and you dealt. This? These stupid things? They got nothing on you!" She wasn't sure how to comfort him in this time and with the circumstances, she only hoped to make him focus on a way out more than doom and gloom.

(Sounds good. I'll be available all night til around 10 am since I work nights)

He walked for a moment, the dread still sitting on his shoulders and weighing him down. Then something she said stuck with him.

"Held this place up..." He mumbled as the idea slowly crept to the front of his mind. "I know what we can do," he suddenly said. "It's a long shot from hell, but if search and rescue doesn't make it in time, I have an idea to get us out of here and to the surface, maybe a way towards the small islands nearby."
He grabbed Liz by the shoulder and gave her a reassuring nod. "We can do this."

Liz's eyes went wide as he took hold of her, his sudden composer and confidence a bit infectious. She smiled softly and nodded. "We can do this... Together." She slowly pulled away from him to check the map, they were close to the armory. She doubted it had supplies but she knew it was the safest place. "We can stop and rest at the armory, it has the least amount of entry points, even for these things." She updated their RIGs and continued down the hall.

As they went a few slashers popped out but both of their quick aims dispatched singles and pairs with ease. Anything more tricky like a lurker or puker were on scene they had trouble. But wiith minor injuries they reached the armory. Liz used a hacked set of credentials to open the thicker door, a loud grinding noise coming as it slid open. Inside the walls were smooth and solid steel, several inches thick to prevent any harm to outside passerby. The ceiling had a single vent with a fan but other than the door, the room was secure.

Lockers of equipment and suits filled the walls. A suit kiosk sat in the back and several caches of ammo were open, luckily there was still ammo and a handful of weapons. Mostly small submachine guns and pulse rifles, plenty of parts to repair or fix guns, too.

Nick had taken his fair share of hits along the way, but the two of them were otherwise fine. His RIG had only dipped slightly since the elevator incident and was still light green. He was running a bit low on ammo for his cutter, switching to his ripper at a point on the way to the armory which he found saved a lot of time and ammo.

As they entered the armory Nick set about clearing the area, making note of the vent but was left with little else to work with as it was pretty cut and dry as far as entry points go.

The doors closed behind them and he took some time to inspect the area, getting giddy like a kid in a candy store as he saw all the supplies they had. Granted, it was mostly small arms, save for the rifles, but he was excited, especially for the suits.

"You should suit up," he said to Liz, amazed they made it this far with her in a standard uniform. "Access the kiosk and find something amphibious... we may need to take a swim through those flooded halls."

Liz took note of his health bar, she had barely even considered her own till now. She knew it dipped low earlier but it stood at a light green as well. She scavenged through caches and lockers to find food, med packs, and anything else of use. All she could gather was a handful of med packs, mostly small but a few mediums. She also found a few logs detailing a few extra hidden supply depos.

"A suit? I never thought of getting in one, I barely thought I would make it this far." She chuckled, she was surprised she had with no protection. Nick took the brunt of most attacks and made sure she was safe, he protected her a lot. She made her way to the kiosk and stepped in, sliding through the options. Most the suits were generic guard outfits and a few higher grade military riot suits. Under special suits she found exactly what Peters wanted, a suit that was meant for deep dives. It came with extra air canisters and a pressure release system that helped hsndle the extreme pressure below.

She suited up, the kiosk make the usual rummaging and zapping sounds. She emerged with a teal colored suit, fins and small jets fit along the back and limbs. It was more aqautic than amphibious but it would do. The helmet closed in three parts around her face, two thin wisor bars shone with the same green-blue as Peters's. She felt sturdy in the suit, like she could take a hit better.

Nick made a mental note of hidden supply depots, thinking they could come in handy along the way if they managed to find them.
He took a pulse rifle and a shotgun from the rack. These pulse rifles were only MK I so there wasn't a grenade launcher underbarrel attachment on them. He took the two weapons to a bench while Liz fiddled with the suit kiosk and combined the two, making a Masterkey Pulse Rifle. He removed the weapon from the bench and got a feel for the weight and grip, satisfied with how it felt and eager to test it out.

He was about to do some more gearhead work on the bench when Liz emerged in her new suit. He whistled teasingly, almost like a cat-call, and playfully commented, "Well, look at Billie Badass over here. Nice suit."
It came across as super douchey, as he intended, and you could almost see his smug face under his helmet.

Hearing Nick's cat-call and remarks, or anyone's, generally didn't affect her, but she couldn't help feel a small twinge of heat in her cheeks. She knew he was grinning from ear to ear under his helmet. shje had to wi[e that grin away and show him up. "Tch. That's all you got? For a nerd your pickup lines are a little stupid." She responded with a playful tone, she meant no true ofense, she merely played along. She had a fair share of flirts as she worked, but she was more business then.

She walked up to hinm her head tilted slightly to one side as she looked at him. "I'm sure you know how to use your welder, given how well you handle a gun." She added in a more direct flirt to get at him, show him that if he wants to play then he'll have to get good. She turned slowly to the door. "Anyhow, you mentioned a plan about getting out of here and making it to the islands?" The moment aside, she wondered what he thought, what was in his head. Escape should be the priority but couldn't they face something nicer for a little while?

(
She walked up to hinm her head tilted slightly to one side as she looked at him. "I'm sure you know how to use your welder, given how well you handle a gun."
Chaotic levels of Lola Bunny "Don't ever call me 'Doll'" energy )

Now Nick was the one with some heat in his cheeks. He normally wasn't a flirtatious person, but he was mostly just trying to cut through the tension just now. Then Liz hit him with that... wow. He didn't think she had that kind of side to her and he kinda liked it, probably a bit more than he should given the situation.

He then realized she left him speechless and had just asked a question.
"Uh, y-yeah, plan, right," he stammered, setting his gun down and bringing up schematics of different levels and support structures of Sanctum.
"We can split off sections of Sanctum, focusing on those with higher levels of damage, and sink them. We'll plant depth charges elsewhere to sink the rest of the structure once we're at the top level, probably the Observatory deck, and completely detach, riding the support structure servos all the way topside. Of course, it'll take time due to pressure, but we'll get away from those bastards and the Marker. Then we just use the habitation air system to her air instead of filter and push us away from ground zero."

He felt confident in this plan. It was risky as all hell, but he had faith. He couldn't afford not to.

More or less what I was going for XD "Chaotic levels of Lola Bunny" should be my new moto)

Liz took Nick's silence as a win, it was cute how flustered he got. He didn't seem like a bad guy, the kind of guy to impress dad, but who knew how to have fun. What was she thinking about this now for? Her life--their lives--were at risk. She pushed this aside for now, letting her hopes stay as motivation. She thought the plan over, it was a great plan, but it was risky, more so with just two people.
"So, basically we separate each part of the station to help it float back up and use the air systems in observation to float? Not gonna lie, it's a good plan, but going out to detach certain sections would be suicide/ We need to take care of what's out there first, or find some heavy weapons." They both saw what happened to Smith inside a pod, out in just a suit meant you were a snack.

(That's not a bad one lmao)

Nick nodded, almost forgetting that detail. There was still that big tentacle out there, and whatever it was attached to, that they had to deal with. He pulled up another section of the map and highlighted it.

"It's a good thing we have an environmental defense wing. We have contact cannons big enough to turn a blue whale into red mist. Pretty sure they can eat what's out there for breakfast. Lucky for you, there's a certain nerd in here that does routine maintenance on those damn cannons, every Friday."
He smirked, teasing again as he finished. He had to admit, he liked their dynamic together. They were serious when it came down to brass tax but both knew how to have a little fun. And he'd be lying if he said that he didn't see her any different now than he did before, but those thoughts couldn't get in the way any more than they already were. They could easily die at any moment, staring down the jaws of death itself, and they were flirting... he's not sure where his head was going, but he needed to screw it on tight before it got away from him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back