• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Warhammer 40k: Renegades

WanderingScribe

The Imperium marks them as renegades at best, heretics at worst. Thieves, pirates, outcast, mercenaries and criminals. They drift from planet to planet serving no god or master but the one they choose; and there is always a price for their loyalty. Some fall to chaos, joining the ravenous hordes of the lost and the damned, others become assets for the Imperium. For now, the crew (at least the ones who are free men) of the Sun Strider fight and die on their own terms. The Sun Strider is a privateer class ship; an ancient terran design, manned by hundreds of slaves and servitors and host to just as many humans, abhumans and xenos. Capable of warp travel, the Sun Strider goes from system to system offering their services as mercenaries, but they are not above piracy.

Captained by the self-titled Commodore Mattius, the Sun Strider's most recent conflict lies on Ichor Prime. A hive planet, and the heart of the Ichor system; Ichor Prime is torn by civil war. Tensions between factions of the planet's noble class have erupted into open conflict. The planet has been lost to anarchy as rioters tear apart refugee camps and cartels overtake the lower levels of the hives. The nobles raise their private armies as the planet's defense forces choose their sides leaving no one to restore order. Ichor Prime has become a lawless warzone and the Mattius intends on getting filthy rich off of it while letting his crew exploit the situation as much as they can. But higher powers are work, ones that the Sun Strider should not involve themselves with...

AN: Hello, I'm not quite sure how to start this so how about the rules. Pretty basic I think. No god modding, ask for permission to maim/kill other player characters, no mary sues/gary stues and at least be semi literate but advanced literate is preferred.

Regarding player characters, the crew of the Sun Strider are mostly mercenaries and pirates but if you can think of a reason why your character would find themselves in this company, go for it! Abhuman and xenos characters are allowed, but if you want to play as a space marine we'd have to discuss it further. Also feel free to make up your own homebrew xenos species, just run it by me first. Plot wise there is a larger conspiracy at work that the Sun Strider crew may find themselves the pawns of, but we'll see how that goes. If you're interested, please let me know! Also, I will be assuming we are all familiar with 40k lore and the setting.

Last edited:
I am thinking a necron cryptek (she is not in great standing with a certain very powerful dynasty)

I am thinking a necron cryptek (she is not in great standing with a certain very powerful dynasty)

She would also not be in great standing with about 99% of the crew. Most of the crew are outcasts, renegades, pirates ect so they can tolerate the occasional xenos. Loxatl mercs, Ork blood axes, Tau merchants, ect ;but Im not sure she would really fit in. A necron would be seen as more trouble than its worth, especially by the captain. If you want you can send me the backstory you had in mind.

She would also not be in great standing with about 99% of the crew. Most of the crew are outcasts, renegades, pirates ect so they can tolerate the occasional xenos. Loxatl mercs, Ork blood axes, Tau merchants, ect ;but Im not sure she would really fit in. A necron would be seen as more trouble than its worth, especially by the captain. If you want you can send me the backstory you had in mind.
I mean a cryptek is a magos on steroids who needs a enginenarium crew when you have a cryptek using necron tech to maintain it and of course using their ancient knowledge to mark out places with treasures

I mean you are already taking a decently high ranking tau military member if they were given a crisis suit

I mean a cryptek is a magos on steroids who needs a enginenarium crew when you have a cryptek using necron tech to maintain it and of course using their ancient knowledge to mark out places with treasures

I mean you are already taking a decently high ranking tau military member if they were given a crisis suit
Tbh Im still not sure how I feel about having a tau with a crisis suit, I most likely wont allow it for story and balance reasons. Like I said it would have to be severely nerfed and Im not sure why a high ranking tau would be with a lowly space pirate crew. Maybe if the suit was somehow stolen or if it was maybe recovered from a battlefield. We can work it out when we draft our OCs, but I dont see it happening.

Regarding the necron the biggest issue is that having a necron onboard as a permament crew member might attract the sort of attention Mattius (my main oc) wants to avoid, and will likely cause a mutinies/riots. Also the Sun Strider being a rickety piece of trash constantly on the verge of imploding will likely play a role in the story.

Tbh Im still not sure how I feel about having a tau with a crisis suit, I most likely wont allow it for story and balance reasons. Like I said it would have to be severely nerfed and Im not sure why a high ranking tau would be with a lowly space pirate crew. Maybe if the suit was somehow stolen or if it was maybe recovered from a battlefield. We can work it out when we draft our OCs, but I dont see it happening.

Regarding the necron the biggest issue is that having a necron onboard as a permament crew member might attract the sort of attention Mattius (my main oc) wants to avoid, and will likely cause a mutinies/riots. Also the Sun Strider being a rickety piece of trash constantly on the verge of imploding will likely play a role in the story.
*throws on red robe* "blessings of the omnissiah I am just a very highly augmented tech priest that's how you solve that with the uneducated crew

Your already a renagade a traitor a heretic in the imperiumss books you can't really go to imperium held places.

*throws on red robe* "blessings of the omnissiah I am just a very highly augmented tech priest that's how you solve that with the uneducated crew

Your already a renagade a traitor a heretic in the imperiumss books you can't really go to imperium held places.
I'm not againt having a necron character I just need a lot of context for why they are with travelling mercenaries. And the Sun Strider does go through Imperium space, they just keep a low profile and avoid conflicts where the Imperium has active stakes in it. Although my other OC does come from a guard unit who was deemed traitor. I do like the idea of her disguising herself as a tech priest. My middleground offer? She's not a permament crew member, she paid Mattius with the location of ancient tech treasure and is using the Sun Strider as a ride to escape whatever shes running. Essentially a very powerful refugee who plans on dissapearing into the chaos.

I'm not againt having a necron character I just need a lot of context for why they are with travelling mercenaries. And the Sun Strider does go through Imperium space, they just keep a low profile and avoid conflicts where the Imperium has active stakes in it. Although my other OC does come from a guard unit who was deemed traitor. I do like the idea of her disguising herself as a tech priest. My middleground offer? She's not a permament crew member, she paid Mattius with the location of ancient tech treasure and is using the Sun Strider as a ride to escape whatever shes running. Essentially a very powerful refugee who plans on dissapearing into the chaos.
I sure I mean she is pretty much hiding out from the most powerful necron dynasty until she can find something that will convince another dynasty to employe her. She is only there till she collects what she thinks will get her a new job. Also she finds humans interesting so what's a few centuries amoung them to her

I sure I mean she is pretty much hiding out from the most powerful necron dynasty until she can find something that will convince another dynasty to employe her. She is only there till she collects what she thinks will get her a new job. Also she finds humans interesting so what's a few centuries amoung them to her
Im guessing no one knows who she truly is? Particulary the ship Captain and his circle?

Not unless you want her to have told him he's marked fir death by the imperium anyways si what's 1 more heresy

Not unless you want her to have told him he's marked fir death by the imperium anyways si what's 1 more heresy
I mean a majority of the ship don't view themselves as heretics. Well, a majority of the ship aren't heretics in the Chaos worshipper sense. They see themselves as on the fringes of the Imperium. They arent loyalist or traitor, at least for now. Mattius at least hasn't been marked for death either, its something he tries to avoid although he definitely has a few bounties and warrants to his name. One of the things I'm trying to avoid is a reason for the Imperium taking an active role in the story. Hence why your necron OC needs a good reason for being incognito and off the radar.

I mean a majority of the ship don't view themselves as heretics. Well, a majority of the ship aren't heretics in the Chaos worshipper sense. They see themselves as on the fringes of the Imperium. They arent loyalist or traitor, at least for now. Mattius at least hasn't been marked for death either, its something he tries to avoid although he definitely has a few bounties and warrants to his name. One of the things I'm trying to avoid is a reason for the Imperium taking an active role in the story. Hence why your necron OC needs a good reason for being incognito and off the radar.
That's why only the captain and inner circle would know at Max not the whole crew. And I mean renegade is a traitor and the punishment for a deserter renegade guardsmen who also must have stolen an imperial navy ship is death

That's why only the captain and inner circle would know at Max not the whole crew. And I mean renegade is a traitor and the punishment for a deserter renegade guardsmen who also must have stolen an imperial navy ship is death
Mattius isnt a deserter or a guardsman. He comes from a merchant house and was a former rogue trader. Now he's a mercenary and occasionally a pirate. The Sun Strider isn't a stolen imperial navy ship either, its an ancient terran starcraft that has been modified and upgraded throughout generations of use in his family. Kinda why it wouldnt make sense for him to instigate the Imperium. He's already on their badside, but he isnt a heretic. Mattius will be the "game master" character who I'll be using to drive the plot forward.

My other OC is a deserter. His unit was part of a military coup on another planet that eventually devolted into a chaos worship uprising. He and other soldiers from different platoons managed to escape off world. He's the only one still alive, to his knowledge. As far as the Imperium is concerned he's most likely dead and if not, just another heretic in the Traitor Guard. Since his escape, he's made a living off mercenary work, piracy and smuggling.

Mattius isnt a deserter or a guardsman. He comes from a merchant house and was a former rogue trader. Now he's a mercenary and occasionally a pirate. The Sun Strider isn't a stolen imperial navy ship either, its an ancient terran starcraft that has been modified and upgraded throughout generations of use in his family. Kinda why it wouldnt make sense for him to instigate the Imperium. He's already on their badside, but he isnt a heretic. Mattius will be the "game master" character who I'll be using to drive the plot forward.

My other OC is a deserter. His unit was part of a military coup on another planet that eventually devolted into a chaos worship uprising. He and other soldiers from different platoons managed to escape off world. He's the only one still alive. As far as the Imperium is concerned he's most likely dead and if not, just another heretic in the Traitor Guard. Since his escape, he's made a living off mercenary work, piracy and smuggling.
How did the gm one losses his warrent of trade?

And the second isnt that gaunts ghosts? The tannth first and only

How did the gm one losses his warrent of trade?

And the second isnt that gaunts ghosts? The tannth first and only
Havent decided yet. He might not even be a rogue trader, just someone from a wealthy merchant family who crossed the wrong people on his homeworld, and now lives a life on the edge of the law. He's an older guy though, in his mid sixties and he's been doing this for about 30 years or so.

Also I dont know I havent read Gaunts Ghost. But he's just a guardsman who hated the Imperium, joined a rebellion against them and decided to abandon his unit when the "Lost and the Damned" started showing up and chaos worship became apparant. He's relatively young, in his late 20s.

Havent decided yet. He might not even be a rogue trader, just someone from a wealthy merchant family who crossed the wrong people on his homeworld, and now lives a life on the edge of the law.

Also I dont know I havent read Gaunts Ghost. But he's just a guardsman who hated the Imperium, joined a rebellion against them and decided to abandon his unit when the "Lost and the Damned" started showing up and chaos worship became apparant.
So is the guardsman a chaos worshiper if he worked with open chaos worshipers?

So is the guardsman a chaos worshiper if he worked with open chaos worshipers?
No. About three years or so into the siege, he abandoned the rebellion. At first the rebel guardsman were "loyal the Emperor, not the Imperium" but slowly the rebels began to worship Chaos for different reasons. One of the reasons he didnt fall to Chaos, was because he is actually a very faithful and devote believer in the God Emperor, so when it became obvious that his comrades were chaos worshippers he escaped the first chance he had with several other guardsmen. That being said, his name is still on the roster of a brigade that turned traitor, but its assumed by Imperial authorities that he was killed, along with the rest of his unit.

I’m interested!

I’d have a xenos character loosely based on Godzilla- not that big, obviously, just Space Marine sized. Big, reptilian, with a row of jagged dorsal plates and the ability to occasionally spew a Melta blast from his maw in desperate times.

Sorta the part-time engineer/heavy weapons guy. Not an expert by any means, but smarter than he looks.

IMG_9708.jpeg
This, but minus the tank lol.

No. About three years or so into the siege, he abandoned the rebellion. At first the rebel guardsman were "loyal the Emperor, not the Imperium" but slowly the rebels began to worship Chaos for different reasons. One of the reasons he didnt fall to Chaos, was because he is actually a very faithful and devote believer in the God Emperor, so when it became obvious that his comrades were chaos worshippers he escaped the first chance he had with several other guardsmen. That being said, his name is still on the roster of a brigade that turned traitor, but its assumed by Imperial authorities that he was killed, along with the rest of his unit.
Anywho I can lay the necron as either telling no one or just the higher ups

Anywho I can lay the necron as either telling no one or just the higher ups
No one. Mattius would likely betray her as he doesn't trust her or sees her as a way to get some friends in the Imperium. In dire circumstances he wouldnt mind her presence, especially if his life was on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back