War of the Eclipse|RP|ARC 1|NEW|OPEN WORLD AND OPEN ENDED|RUN BY DIVINE MASTER (ME) AND MR FOXX|DISC

The world is in a state of turmoil. An army of Light and Darkness clashes against each other. Only shades of grey exist, with no clear right or wrong. Three Immortal Lords keep watch, and only emerge during near oblivion, which is a sign of things to come...

It is in a steampunk setting, where guns exist, but are quite noisy and only single fire. It is during an industrial age, with Whale Blubber being converted into an oily fuel to power the machinery. A recent plague is also ravaging the Isle of Undwal, a member of the Empire (who rules the four isles). Swords and crossbows are nearly universally used by military. Only officers or higher use pistols.

There are several factions, each of which are related in some way.

THE ACADEMY: where underage people learn magic. It was formed after the defeat of the Thirteen Heroes, who gave their lives to seal the balance between darkness and light, which slowly weakened, to help ensure the world would have a supply of well trained heroes in case such a thing happened again. They have a guardian, commonly known as Bobby (Full title The Most Fearsome and Terrifying Guardian of the Academy. You are either a student or a teacher (only 7 teacher spots, only 1 per person, if me or Foxx don't think you deserve a teacher then you don't get one. Headmaster/headmistres and deputy head are taken)

THE ARMIES OF NIGHT: an army of darkness, attempting to destroy, corrupt and rule the world. They are usually aided by the Dark Lord. They were created when a strange rock, pulsing with an eerie beat, was unearthed. The finder went mad, and ran off into the forest, where he met a powerful dark Mage, who further corrupted the stone, and tried to use it to gain power. He was unknowingly corrupted by it, and became the Dark General. They are based and mainly fight on the Shadowlands.  You could either be a Shadowmaster (an assassin who uses dark magic), a Nightmaster (captain) or an Arcane Shadow (dark mage) 

THE KEEPERS OF THE SEVEN SCRIPTURES: An army of Light, which isn't necessarily good. They are overzealous, very strict and cruel. They also form one of the main religions in Sarkenos. They are often aided by the Light Lord. They were created when a priest found a taboo, ancient charm which gave of a strange, blue light. They priest soon became far more powerful in light magic than it was expected, and he developed an overzealous passion for justice and to purge all darkness. He ascended to the rank of Keeper (equivalent of Christian Pope) and soon militarized the Keeper of the Seven Scriptures. They are devoted to destroying the enchanted charms made of bone, which are rumoured to provide the wearer with small bonuses, and Carved Runes, which can be sacrificed to gain more power in a specific ability of Dark Magic, or to enhance one already learned. You would either be an Overseer Captain (who sometimes have large boxes strapped to their chest which provenr them moving quickly or fighting, but provide protection and neutralise magic in the area), Holy Warrior Master or a n Assassin of Light 

THE PROTECTORS OF THE BALANCE: they safeguard the Balance of Darkness and Light, intervening where necessary. They could be alikened to monks, and they are based in a large, ancient monastery in the Neulzkier Mountains. They are often aided by the Lord of Balance. They have been in existance since the Creator was destroyed, designed to keep the world from Burning in Light or becoming Corroded with Darkness. Should you join these you would be a Protector-Warrior captain/Balance Mage  (both equal ranks on seperate subfaction)

THE VOIDWALKERS: they are stealthy assassins working for money, utilising powerful, forbidden void (yes, it's different to dark) magic granted  to them by a mysterious deity from beyond the void. The title of Assassin Lord is passed through a ritual, where the former leader is killed by his successor. If you joined you would be an Assassin Master 

SHARDS

Shards are rare, powerful fragments of the Ancient Creator, who was a Sentient sphere of extreme power. He originally was the one who kept the balance, but after he was destroyed the Protectors of the Balance took his place. The Shards are very rare, and can be used to enhance magic. Some rituals can only be completed with shards

Sheet to join:

Name
Species (I'll decide whether it's ok or not. I'll know the line when I see it)
Physical appearance 
Clothing
Element (choose from fire, Earth, air, water, Gravity, energy darkness or light. It determines how people may act to them, and what their moves may be
Passive
Another passive (unique to the species though.)
Moves (4 max, maybe a few more if I decides so, because of certain things. I'll trust my judgement on this. More will be gained and the originals will be strengthened as the RP moves on so don't go insane)
Faction
Alignment
Mental state (semi insane, insane, sane, or any other mental state. You can also list any possible mental conditions. It effects how people act towards them.)
Pet/summon (must be suitable for faction, totally optional. May be more important as the RP goes on than you'd think)
Combat style (For example, would they indirectly fight with potions and poisons, stealthily arch, support teammates with magic etc? It will effect the RNG and stuff during combat (for example, if an archer tries to use a sword combat style then it would be weaker than if a warrior was using a sword. Also, feel free to "create" combat styles, and give a description of how it is. Does it use brute force? Are they elegant, refined, well placed strikes?)

NOTES:  the timeline it is set in is basically an alternate modern day, but more old fashioned. Steampunk guns exist, but more swords, bows, crossbows, and magic are concentrated on.

These rules are in effect:https://godvillegame.com/forums/redirect_to_post/2723?post=320433 if you don't have Godville I'll copy and paste them here now. Press the quote button to hide/unhide them.

Rules

If you take the main things that annoy other players, avoiding them boils down to 5 rules:

1. Don’t Godmod
  2. Don’t Powerplay
  3. Don’t Metagame
  4. Don’t Asspull
  5. Don’t Forcewin Thanks to Master of Divines for coming up with the term.

Most often what starts debates over roleplay etiquette is when people go against the above rules during combat, but it can be annoying outside of combat, so as I explain the rules I’ll give examples of both combat and non combat scenarios. Now let’s explain what the rules mean:

Rule 1: Don’t Godmod
Godmodding is essentially controlling the actions of another against their will. It can be done both directly and indirectly and is very annoying in some situations. Here are some examples-
Direct non-combat example:

“Boo!” Alice yells, making Bob jump.

The person playing Alice (who from now on I will refer to as player A) has just directly godmodded by forcing Bob to jump at her attempt to frighten him. If Bob is not easily frightened then this could very much upset the person playing Bob (who from now on I will refer to as player B).
Direct combat example:

Alice points, gaping at the space behind Bob, then stabs him when he turns round.

Here, player A has godmodded by making Bob fall for her trick to gain an advantage in combat, which will seriously annoy Player B, doubly so if Bob would never fall for such a simple trick.
Indirect non-combat example:

Bob grabs Alice’s cocktail and takes a sip. “Nice!” he says, then turns to the bartender “Can I get one of those?”

There is more at fault here than Bob’s manners- Player B has stated that Bob takes Alice’s cocktail, implying that Alice made no or little attempt to stop him. It could be circumvented by either Player B sending a private message to player A beforehand to make sure that she doesn’t mind Bob taking the cocktail, or simply writing something like:

Bob reaches out to grab Alice’s cocktail and taste it.

So that if Player A does not want Bob to steal the cocktail, she can respond appropriately.
Indirect combat example:

Bob draws his sword. “Haha!” He golats, “You don’t stand a chance! I’m a way better fighter, and I have a better weapon!” With that, he runs round behind Alice and slices her leg off.

So much is wrong here! For a start, if they’re fighting, is Alice really going to stand around doing nothing while Bob boasts about his weapon and skills? No! And to make it worse, he then goes round behind her and proceeds to cut her leg off. Would Alice really do nothing to prevent that? The sad thing is, I’ve seen people do worse than this in fights, I’d list examples but I’d rather not mention names or point fingers. Bottom line is, if you do an action that the other player is likely to try and stop, either ask the other player, or simply say what you do and not the result. In this case the above example should be replaced with:

Drawing his sword, Bob runs round behind Alice and swings his sword at her leg.

Which both removes the gloating, and allows Alice to react.

Rule 2: Don’t powerplay
Woah, I spent quite a while on rule one. Don’t worry, the rest will be quicker. So what’s powerplaying? Essentially it’s being overly powerful, making it so you always have the advantage. Good characters have weaknesses, so don’t go around saying you are the best at this, that and the next thing. Be reasonable, because it’s no fun to play with someone who always has the upper hand. It’s harder to give examples for this since it’s more about how you describe your character than individual actions, really. But here are some examples anyway-
Non-combat example:

Maintaining her poker face, Alice reveals yet another royal flush.

Firstly, it’s a bit ridiculous to say anyone could hold a straight face in this scenario, but also the scenario itself is player A powerplaying by making Alice ridiculously lucky.
Combat example:

Alice shields herself with an impenetrable forcefield and casts bolts of unblockable magic at Bob.

This is an extreme example, where player A has blatantly said that Alice’s forcefield is impenetrable and her attacks unblockable, but simply having ridiculous attacks alongside incredible defence would be an example too.

Rule 3: Don’t Metagame
As players we can read everything that goes on, but that doesn’t mean our characters do. It can be tempting to use our knowledge to the advantage of the characters we are playing, but it can be seen as bad manners.
Non-combat example:

“Don’t worry, Alice, I’ll lend you some money.” Bob said, reassuringly.

Normally this would be fine, but if nobody had told Bob that Alice was short on cash, it’s metagaming. This is not usually an issue in scenarios such as this, but people won’t necessarily like it.
Combat example:

Bob takes a detour to avoid the site where Alice was waiting to ambush him.

Again, not an issue normally, but has Bob got any way of knowing that Alice wants to ambush him, let alone where? If not, player B is metagaming.

Rule 4: Don’t Asspull
As the name might suggest, an asspull is when you (figurateively speaking) pull something from your ass. It’s easier to give examples than explain-
Non-combat example:

After looking at the river for a few moments, Alice pulls an inflatable dinghy out of her backpack and begins to blow it up.

Unless player A mentioned Alice packing this earlier, then this is just player A being too uninventive to try and look for a way accross the river. It spoils an oppurtunity for players to find a more imaginative solution, and it seems like cheating.
Combat example:

As Bob grabs Alice, she explodes violently, revealing that it was a robot he was fighting this whole time.

Unless Alice had made or placed down a super-realistic robot earlier, this is just player A performing an asspull to avoid letting Bob win the fight by blowing him up. If you find yourself in a sticky situation, you should avoid making up something completely new to escape it. In a way, it’s related to the final rule.

Rule 5: Don’t Forcewin

To forcewin is to refuse to let things go wrong for you. It’s annoying when things don’t happen how you planned or how you wanted them to, but it’s important to accept that not everything will go your way. As tempting as it may be to not let anyone push your character around and whatnot, life isn’t like that, so be sensible and let things not go to plan sometimes. Who knows, you might have even more fun than you would have otherwise.
Non-combat example:

Angry at being turned into a monkey, Bob recites a spell and turns himself human again.

It’s understandable that player B doesn’t want his character turned into a monkey, but was instantly undoing it necessary? He could have had fun with the transformation, and explored new ways to overcome obstacles and playing around with the concept, but instead, he just goes “Nope.” and makes it as if it never happened.
Combat example:

As Alice unexpectedly leaps at him, Bob sidesteps and she misses and crashes to the ground.

If Bob hadn’t been metagaming earlier and had walked into Alice’s ambush, this might have happened, but while he’s avoided metagaming, player B has now made Bob sidestep the attack. Surely Alice would, at least at this point, have the element of surprise. Even if Bob is going to win the battle later on, player B should have the dignity to let Alice get this first hit in.

While this rule is not set in stone or anything, and is most definitely more a guideline than a rule, it is important to remember it. In a fight? Let your rival get the odd punch in, and if they find a realistic way to beat you, let it happen. Usually you’ll have more fun trying to find a way to go around or over obstacles than you will if you avoid encountering them or just destroy them. So while you shouldn’t let everything go wrong, allowing for things to go not quite how you planned will enrich the roleplay experience for you and others.

Conclusion

In roleplay, annoyance at others or a desire to do well often drives people to godmod, powerplay, metagame, asspull or simply refuse to let anything happen that they don’t want to happen. But this only makes it less fun for pretty much everyone involved. It’s important to remember that it’s only a game, and to play nicely with others. In some cases it can feel like the rules are restrictive, and sometimes they can be, so if everyone involved is in agreement, it is okay to go against the rules. If both fighters in a duel are happy to accept the consequences of letting their rival control them, then within that fight it’s okay for them to godmod, since they agree to it. But if one player follows the rules while another refuses, then the player not following the rules will probably be frowned upon by other players. Overall, keep in mind that the goal isn’t being the best, it’s enjoying yourself. So play nicely, and have fun!

Full credit to Brinjal for writing all this. Except for the little bit of credit for the name "forcewinning", which I came up with :3

FINISHED

Last edited by a moderator:
Underdeveloped in the extreme. 

Not enough context - why do the factions exist? How does magic work? Any significant historical events?  What do the cultures of the setting look like?  Is there a central plot hook?  Who should player characters be?

Lot of extraneous stuff in the character sheet, like pet and mental state.  No context given for element, passives, moves, or fighting style - these are basically meaningless without some kind of mechanics to lend them purpose. 

You'll probably find this useful.

The Magic section here should serve you; CTRL-F Magic.

And just for completeness sake let's throw this in.

I hope this is all helpful to you!  I look forward to seeing how your RP concept develops!

Thanks. It's super hard typing up a complete RP on a phone. And this is my first here, and my second all in all, and I came from a far smaller community. I will either sleep now or I will edit it. Either way, it will be finished within one week. Thanks 

Thanks. It's super hard typing up a complete RP on a phone. And this is my first here, and my second all in all, and I came from a far smaller community. I will either sleep now or I will edit it. Either way, it will be finished within one week. Thanks 

Ouch, yeah, trying to do anything comprehensive with a phone would be a nightmare.  You might be better served taking your time, maybe seeing if you can use a library or school computer, or just taking more time to grapple with the phone for the purpose.  I'd say no need to rush, either way.  Hope all the info is useful and not too awkwardly formatted on a phone.

Hi, @Mr Foxx

he he did slam us. But it's good, because now I know what to fix. :3

Howd you think it's coming on? 

Wait...why am I an unlucky member?

have you noticed where I copied+pasted the rules from? :3

Yep.

You were kind of a case example for what not to do regarding those rules, but you know them now. :3

So, anything we should post/work on?

I've sort of done some more work on the first post, which I just updated.

What do you think?

I believe I have covered all of @Grey's points. The context for moves is obvious. What magic abilities they can use, in or out of combat.

Which RP? 

The only bits that I am aware of being specific to that RP  (which I have obtained permission to use) are shattered, AoD and Diamond

Also, stop passing messages on from him. If he wants to talk the me, he can do it himself 

@Divine_Stalker it's really not that much like shattered.

Seriously, the only bit similar to Shattered is the fact there's is a magic university named the academy. And you really can't patent the whole "magic university" thing.

None of us can, because we all stole it from someone else!

I personally am looking forward to roleplaying on this site, as it will be a new experience for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back