• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

War of Kingdoms

AJIV

Man of many faces
In the Hall of Illumination sat Supreme Cleric Salid and several young students. Children who were identified as having potential were sent to the Holy City of Valen to begin their training as Kyandor's future clerics. Perhaps, Salid wondered, if any one of his current youthful apprentices would one day take his place.

"There are many ways we can use the power Kyan gives us...but it is up to you how you use it. I only hope you would use it to heal a dying friend in need...Or to blind an adversary."

He stood up and looked up at the hall. The translucent glass made the room several different shades of a spectrum. It was Supreme Cleric Salid's job to ensure the Hall of Illumination would remain standing for the future children of Kyan. "My young students..." he looked into the faces of his pupils and muttered "I feel that a great struggle will become us all."

Aryathis Raii rode on his horse from the West Shore. He had spent some days on the beach enjoying the sun. He loved the feeling of the light against his skin. He felt as though it was Kyan's way of empowering him. The sun shined on the West Shore like nowhere else on the continent of Teai. It was the sanctuary land of his people. The locals were known for being the most laid back folk around.

He was headed back to Sacredilis where the Holy City of Valen was located. He was to recieve orders from Crown Prince Gyonvali, his maternal uncle. He was not sure of his assignment but he had a feeling he better spend a few days at the West Shore to clear his mind and better prepare him for what lie ahead of him.

He entered the region of Sacredilis. He rode past West Valen, the trading city of Kyandor, and into the Holy City. His horse galloped by some young children just being released from their Clerical Studies. As he rode up to the Hall of Illumination he spotted Supreme Cleric Salid and another man next to him. His Uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Archene d'Night was sitting on his throne in the Palace of Vix'teria. Though it was calling it a Palace was just glorifying it too much, the large building was mostly made of a plain dark stone that shone slightly when light came upon it. It was where he lived, and where matters of management of th Vix'teria and the western borders were taken care of.

As he sat there, listening to those from his territory to come make petitions, a group of men wearing dark robes came in. "Exarch d'Night, our order requires more funds for our research on Shadow Portals. As you know, such spell is vital to communicate through long distances. We have even recently managed to send a letter only through the expense of a single acolyte casting the spell! If you give us mor-"

"This is the second time in 5 years you come here. You will not receive any more funds for that research. If what you've been given is still not enough, you are to learn how to better manage your funds." Archene looked at the men in dark robes with some contempt before saying, "You are dismissed." Though the men wanted to more, possibly even throw threats at the Exarch, they retreated.

In the hall, there was a variety of watchers from local merchants to representatives of a sect or an order, but they all knew better than to question him. While the Exarch was a calm man, speaking out of turn with him had ended people's lives before. Regardless of anything else, he had been making the city flourish with an even hand. Regardless of origin, sentences were always delivered by him or someone of the honored judges chosen by him. He had even beheaded a sect head upon his arrival for some minor bribery!

Aryathis's military discipline kicked in instinctively. He hopped off of his horse and kneeled before the two gentlemen.

"Prince Gyonvali, your highness...and Master Salid." he bowed his head before them.

"Rise young warrior," Salid spoke humbly, "I can see the West Shores have done you well."

Aryathis stood up and smiled, looked to his uncle and gave him the Dorian salute. Crown Prince Gyonvali returned it and looked him in the eye and said "Better keep your head here on land. You have soldiers to lead."

"Oh, of course uncle. I cannot afford to get too distracted from our national affairs. Never know when I may get called on."

Supreme Cleric Salid and Crown Prince Gyonvali glanced at each other as if they knew something Aryathis did not. Then the aged prince looked his nephew and said "Come walking with me." Aryathis nodded to the cleric and they began walking to the nearby courtyard populated by trees of green and little chirping birds. A breeze carrying a sweet aroma swept through.

"Weeks ago, Abbess Revina of the Kavon Province Monastery travelled into the lands of Acruan with her party. They went on a peaceful expedition but she has not been seen or heard from since. Her small party returned without her a few days ago." Aryathis soaked in such info. It was a lot for him to take in. He had never heard any problems with the Acruani his whole life other than few border disputes which were decided by diplomacy. Abbess Revina had taught him about Kyan when he was a child. His mother, a Princess of Kyan, was very good childhood friends with her and went on many adventures with her. "You may be wondering what that means for you...It means you are to report at Camp Kavon in Kavon Province." They stopped walking in the middle of the courtyard and Crown Prince Gyonvali looked at the young officer. "Captain Dröblek will give you further orders"

There were no more petitioners that day. As usual, everyone within the halls was welcome to leave, and as usual, all of them left. It was known that the Exarch was a self-made man and that trying to bind and bend him would only make ones life difficult.

He sat on the throne, reading recent reports. They came weekly to him, rather than verbally as he had review reports from whole border. There was nothing special on it, even the mention of a Kyandorian religious person being executed for disrespect towards Kass was nothing special. From the reports, she walked through the Shadows of the open gates of the city without getting proper blessings during the day of Silence... Archene's face contorted slightly in disgust. It was a simple ritual anyone, be them a beggar or the Exarch had to pass. A foreigner, even a religious one, should know the importance of such thing. The woman's action couldn't be considered anything less than blasphemy, and while the Acruani were lenient towards the worship of gods other than Kass, offenses towards him were still a capital crime.

"Considering only one of them went through the gates, the other ones should serve as a proper warning to not offend Kass least perpetual Silence fall upon them. Those westerners..." He sighed, they already bickered with the Acruani because of eveyr minor border problem. Whether it was a farm that extended a meter into their borders, or a village that had grown too much into their territory 'and therefore should be theirs'. Most of the things could easily enough be dealt with a small compensation, or simply moving the people. The people weren't always happy, but at least, they didn't have to suffer from a needless war.

Soon enough he closed the book, he had his meditation to go as the night came. Exarchs, after all, had to keep in perfect touch with Kass lest they find themselves weak and unable to cast even a minor curse of silence. Thus for the rest of the night, a man in black yet fine clothes sat in a dark room meditating.

Aryathis found himself rushing off just as fast as he came. He called for his horse, mounted and rode off once again for Kavon Provice. He would have to pass through Haldring Province, which surrounds Sacredilis on three sides. The sun was going down. Night was approaching quickly. He would have to put in quick pace if he wanted to enter Haldring by sundown. "Move with swiftness, Windrift!"

They stomped into Haldring, which is the largest territory in the Kingdom. The first few miles of Haldring were thick forest and with the sun almost all the way down, Aryathis decided he did not wish to even attempt to navigate in the dark. He tied Windrift to a tree and got out his Holy Army sleeping pack and laid down. He did not know the creatures which may have surrounded him, but he did not fear. His short sword was nearby. Any bear brave enough to try and fancy him as a snack would have to first try and not die from a swinging blade.

As Aryathis fell asleep he drifted into a dream. He was in the Holy City of Valen Courtyard. His uncle was taking a relaxed stroll, observing flowers planted by local maidens. The way the sun shined on everything made the scene look so special. Aryathis looked around and tried to enjoy the good day as well. It really was looking nice. He looked over at his uncle to find his throat being slit by a figure in black armor. The menace then laughed maniacally into the air. Fear swelled in him until he exploded in screams of pure terror.

The sound of his screaming woke himself up. The sound of thunder suddenly ripped through the air and rain began to shower. Aryathis, shooken from his nightmare, sprung up, untied Windrift and continued into the dark unknown of the Haldring Forest

It was an exceedingly pleasant night of meditation to Archene. He was in perfect tune with himself, the Shadows and the Silence. It wasn't a feeling any shadow mage could explain to a commoner - it was a feeling of having a void within filled with with a strangely palpable emptiness. It was the feeling of being attuned to the Shadowlord. Just as his sense of self had began to dull however, he heard a voice or was it merely a feeling? He wouldn't be able to describe it.

'The Light in the West will shine too brightly.'

His eyes opened. Though his heartbeat was stable, he was far from relaxed. Too much light is always a bad thing, but I wouldn't think that those eastern heathens would come to attack... Could it be something else? He pondered briefly before standing up. He shook his head before walking to his chambers in search of a proper night of sleep. Such sleep was found.

As Aryathis rode through the darkness, branches would slice across his cheeks and forehead, leaving cuts and scratches. He was struggling to keep on the trail with all of the darkness. His andrenaline and mind was racing. He needed to cool it. He stopped Windrift and sat for a second. He was tired and he was not sure what time it was. The rain soaked him and his horse. He needed shelter but could find none. He then saw a light on the path. What was it?

It shined intensely, his pupils dilated as it came closer to him. Then he realised it was a lantern being carried by a figure. He gripped his sword in it's sheath, ready to strike dead whatever came forth. The light of the lantern revealed an elderly man in garments which appeared to be made for rainy situations. "By the Holy Army, I order you to identify yourself!"

The man stopped abruptly and spoke out "Wickston Fivilus, caretaker of this forest...and who may you be?"

Aryathis paused for a moment and then spoke "Aryathis Raii, Officer of the Holy Army of Kyandor. I am commissioned by the blessed King Gyonthin...I am on my way to Camp Kavon but I can not see the road."

The old man walked forward and lifted his lantern up to see Aryathis's face. "You are young for an officer...and your jewels suggest you are of royalty..." The old man stepped back and gave Aryathis the Dorian Salute, which was returned. "I too was in the Holy Army...but I was no officer. After I retired I devoted myself to these parts. I have been out here for longer than I can remember but I make sure the light does not flicker on those it's shining on." He hands Aryathis the lantern which shines brighter than ever before.

"By Kyan, I can see so well! Thank you sir!" The lantern was not lit by fire, but by pure light. Absolutely amazed, he looks down to see the man holding a new lantern as if he pulled it from thin air. He felt flabbergasted. "No trouble, young sir. Safe travels to you, and I'm sure we may ran into each other again one day." He then disappeared into the shadows without a trace of light left from his lantern. Completely confused, Aryathis decided he best get a move forward. He rode on.

With his steed's steady pace, Aryathis trotted out of the forest and into the fields of Haldring, known for it's fertile land perfect for farms to yield in crops of many different varieties. He made quick work with Windrift. They were going as fast as ever before. As they entered Kavon Province, land began to become rather flat and the air a little dryer. The province did not enjoy the same oceanic blessings as the majority of Kyandor, being the farthest away from the ocean.

Camp Kavon was ran by Captain Droblek. Aryathis entered the camp and was saluted by several soldiers, as per military custom. Aryathis was young to be in his position, but he had royal blood. The people of the land have their upmost confidence in him and his natural ability to lead.

Captain Droblek stood outside his quarters talking with other officers. Aryathis approached and the salute was exchanged.

"Captain Droblek, I have come from West Valen under orders from Crown Prince Gyonvali to report to thee immediately."

"Ahh, yes." Captain Droblek had a smile grow on his face. "I do have a place for you..." he waved his officers away so that it was the two of them. "You best prepare yourself, young warrior. War is on the horizon. Abbess Revina's murder will be avenged. To kill a woman of such holiness is barbaric. The minds of the Acruan are under the spell of the Dark One. He is telling them to kill our people and everybody we love. Their false religion is evil and us as warriors of Kyan must put a stop to it."

Aryathis kept his head level but he had never heard such talk of the Acruan. He had never thought before that they would want to kill Kyandorians, but Abbess Revina was a woman of power and importance.

"Captain, are we prepared for such actions?"

"Yes. Camp Kavon has begun preparation for invasion. You will be leading a group of my men into battle when the time comes. You will kill Acruans soon. In fact, I have already sent assassins to take out the Exarch of Vix'teria."

An assassin invading Vix'teria would go through many trials. First, if they didn't enter it properly during the day, they would find that the city is patrolled. Not a problem unless they try to raze the city. Second, the palace always has its restrictions to who may go into it. It is possible to infiltrate it by normal means, guards can be avoided, even if they can see perfectly through the veil of the night, which is the minimum required spell a guard must to know to properly guard the palace. Lastly, once inside, one would wonder, 'Who would try to assassinate a member of a cult of worshipers of shadows, who were themselves proficient in the arts of assassination?' Halls that are made to amplify the smallest sounds without echoing it, patrols at uneven times and windows that aren't made to be easily opened from the outside. Finding the Exarch wouldn't be hard, if he was not at his meditation room, it could only mean he was in his bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back