• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

TheLoneRook

Death's Secretary
The following are three “messages” your character would have received in the year 2010, shortly after the first distribution of Warbrands. A voice in their head, a transmission on FM radio, and a letter, sealed in white wax, in that order.

You survived. That is good.

Something within you is holding you together. You should cling to that, it will help you in your coming…journey.

I am War.

You may recognize me by other names. I have been a part of your world since its inception, but I am not here to relive the past. Today is about you, and your future.

I come here to offer you a gift. It is already in your hands

If you deny this gift, you will die. If you accept it, you may live. You could live to hold power, to reign above those around you. You could achieve all that you wish. That is of course, as long as you take this gift, and do as I ask.

This task is a simple one. Fight. I care not for the cause you choose, or what aims you hold, so long as this battle wages on. That is all I ask of you. That is all I will ever ask of you. Your opponents may be arranged, you may find yourself in a fight among those you once knew. These are simply matters of coincidence and poor arrangements, they hold no weight to me. So go now, I won’t bother you any longer. When the time comes, you will be made aware.

Show me what you’ve got.

~~~​

"Yes, hello? Can you hear me? Good. I’m glad you got this message, because it’s the only one I’ll be able to send for quite some time. Listen well.

As I record this, it is currently October 31st, 2010. If you’ve found this message, then you’re probably somewhere in Samael. I don’t know what all might change after this, but chances are it’s still happening.

It doesn’t look like it, but you’re in a warzone. There are people hidden in plain sight who may try to hurt you, they are incredibly dangerous. They are difficult to spot at first glance, but they all carry the same silver sword. If you spot someone near or in possession of one of these swords, run, and contact local authorities.

There is someone pulling the strings here. They all claim to be acting under someone’s control, everyone’s saying “War is forcing me I don’t have a choice” as if War is somehow a person. I won’t act like I understand it now, I only hope that you understand it more than I do. What matters is the safety of the city. For whatever reason, local officials refuse to evacuate. The incidents are too inconsistent for them to think anything of it. They think of these people as criminals, but they’re much more than that. There’s something going on here, and I’m going to get to the bottom of it.

My name is Herald Godrick, and if you find this message, get the hell out of this city, for your own good.”

~~~​

Hello. If you’ve found this letter, then I am happy to inform you you have somewhere to sleep tonight. Head to 1404 Belvedere Avenue, you will find our humble hotel. A room will be waiting for you, it isn’t much but it is the least we can do given your newfound circumstances. If you can, try to wait til nightfall to head towards us. Avoid police, avoid your family and friends. Ultimately, your proximity to them will be a threat to the both of you. If you find or are given a red card, do not open it. Bring it to us, and we will help you. You must be careful, but you also must try to hurry. I can only guarantee your safety within the grounds of our establishment.

I know you must be frightened. You must have so many questions. For now, do what you can to get to us. Keep your blade hidden as best you can, stay away from people if you can avoid it, and do your best to stay calm. We will be waiting for you.

-D~

~4 years later~

Samael was never quite sure of when autumn stopped and winter started, it ebbed and flowed from wicked cold nights of biting winds to calm and sunny afternoons. On the 16th of October, 2014, the morning was surprisingly warm. Unnaturally warm, weatherman and conspirators alike would suggest. There was nothing particular that caused the warmth, but in times like these the citizens of Samael would consider any anomaly worth pointing at.

Tony Marcello awoke to the sounds of FM radio blathering on about the “unnatural heat” as his window wafted in a surprisingly hot air from outside. He opened his eyes to see a clocked 23 degrees Celsius at the stroke of 8am. He conceded briefly, that the weatherman may have a point this time.

Practically flinging himself to his feet, Tony was dressed and presentable in a gray button-down and black slacks in what seemed like a matter of seconds. He wondered briefly if his wardrobe was always this dull or if it was just a new effect of his strange circumstance. He didn’t ponder on it long, it wouldn’t do him any good to contemplate something he’d get no answers to. Especially considering his employer would probably just offer him a hot pink suit next time he arrived at the hotel should he ever raise the question. He looked out the window to see the beginning of a beautiful sunny day. Of course, he thought. You always liked to walk around in summer heat with five coats on.

He stepped over to the wall his headboard rested against and gave it a couple solid taps.

“Rise and shine, Sniffles. If Bel tells me you slept in ‘til noon again I’m eating your dessert before you get to it.” he called, heading for the door. He thought he was forgetting something, but the jet-black sword was already poised at his hip, as if it had never left and he hadn’t set it to the side of his bed the night before. He sighed. At least it was consistent. As he stepped out of the threshold, the spiraling white eye on the side of the sheath spun open, and for a moment Tony’s world collapsed and reformed as his perspective extended to the entire cityscape. It was a sensation he’d gotten used to from a surprise standpoint, but it always managed to give him a brief bout of dizziness. He pressed on, today was more than likely going to be a busy one.

The walk down the hotel stairwell would probably be considered unsettling by most people’s standards. The 9th floor down through the 7th was eerily silent, followed by the muffled sounds of crying, screaming, yelling and cursing, and general unrest that came from the 6th floor down to the 2nd. For the moment at least no one was actually fighting. He did notice a boy with a knife for a warbrand who looked deep in thought. He only hoped the boy wasn’t planning on trying to end himself. Everyone tried, and everyone was equally upset with the results.

By the time he reached the lobby, the wailing of the fledgling floors was overshadowed by a resounding sonata being struck into the keys of the grand piano in the ballroom. When his foot hit the foyer floor the song immediately ceased and he heard the hurried sound of tiny footsteps racing from the ballroom through the foyer straight into the lobby. Tony followed the footsteps into the lobby to find a pair of seemless white gloves adjusting themselves, floating from behind the lobby counter.

“Mr. Fel.”

“Hi Tony, Tony hi!” A raspy, high pitched voice echoed from the locale of the gloves.

“Was that you playing in the ballroom?” Tony posed, well aware of the answer.

“Noooo Tony, Tony nooo. Over here, arranging keys. Arranging keys over here.” The voice shot back instantly, his most common excuse. Mr. Fel never got in trouble for playing the piano, and since there weren’t any fledglings walking through the door he had no need to stay at the counter. He just assumed he was always in hot water. The boss said it had something to do with a small issue with how he imagined his personality when he was first created. Too much caution, not enough common sense. Admittedly, Mr. Fel was his first creation, and something of a prototype.

“Go finish your song, then you can come back.”

“Ohhhh thank you Tony! Tony thank you!” The gloves flew past Tony and within seconds the sonata returned at the exact note it had stopped at earlier, as if the track was taken off pause.

Tony walked his way over to the kitchen to find Bel finalizing an ensemble of omelettes, burritos, and a pile of bacon most would consider a declaration of war against the vegan community. With her hair tied back she looked a bit more motherly than her usual “I’ll kill you for sneezing” vibe, and she bit at her tongue with the edge of her slightly enlarged canine while she worked. She didn’t directly acknowledge Tony walking in but she did fling a burrito straight at his face. He caught it, knowing full well her goal was still to smack him in the head if she could get away with it.

“Anything from the mailman today?” she asked, pulling out a giant bottle of hot sauce and checking a list of guests who’d said anything other than “no” to the question “Can you handle spicy food?” on the survey fledglings filled out at check in.

“Too early, he’ll wait til the city wakes up. I think he gave up on trying to have people wake up to them. It’s not as satisfying if they read it groggy.” he mused, tearing off half the burrito in a single bite. Bel sighed, slathering hot sauce on select plates like she was dolling out her own punishment.

“You wake up Terry?”

“I think so. She’s moving a little.” Tony replied, bringing his eyes over to Terry’s room. He looked only for a split second. He always felt like she knew when he was watching, and he wasn’t the type to pry on her.

“How are you feeling?” Bel shifted, finalizing her sauce masterpiece.

“Me?”

“Yeah, you. We haven’t really talked about it since it happened. Are you doing okay? How are your eyes?”

Tony looked at the palms of his hands, flexed a little, rolled his neck. “It’s not any different than before, really, apart from, yknow, the whole “not technically alive thing”. He bothered to put his hand over his heart. It was dead quiet for a moment, then picked up a beat. An attempt at recreating the sensation. It was close, but he still knew it wasn’t real. A nice enough gesture at least. Bel finally looked at him, and it was clear under the red of her eyes she wanted to really sit him down and put him under the microscrope to make sure he was okay, but she refrained.

“That package you ordered came in. Azel has it out back.”

“Why does Azel have it?”

“He said you weren’t going to bother to wrap it properly so he decided to do it himself.” Tony paused as he started to make his way towards the garden at the rear of the hotel.

“I-I would’ve wrapped it!” He tried to defend his honor.

“Sure, hun.” Bel muttered, returning to her preparations.

Tony made his way through the kitchen to the garden, finishing off his burrito. He brushed open the back door to find a sleek grey shirtless demon fiddling with petunias, a brand new coffee maker sat on a workbench near the shed. “I thought you were going to wrap it?” Tony collected the machine, inspecting it for blemishes and imperfections, not that it mattered.

The demon stood from his work and tossed his spade to the ground. “I was, but I remembered he never actually like the ones that were packaged. He just grabbed them straight off the display shelves. He didn’t bother with wrappings then, figured he wouldn’t now.” Azel’s voice was less shielded than Bel’s, his words still hung with sorrow everyone else pretended they didn’t have. Tony wasn’t quite sure what to say to him. Normally he was good at consoling people, but he worried trying to now would just leave them both in tatters.

“Right then, I’m off.”

The walk up was nice enough. CWI was changing shift from overnights to mornings, giving him a calm window to walk through the city without as much issue. His sword no longer set off their sensors, but his avoidance of them was a habit he was comfortable keeping. By the time he made it to the woods the heat was already becoming a bit miserable, but he trudged on. He walked the entire path of the Pit, breezing right past two fledglings trying to settle a personal squabble with brands they didn’t know how to use. He arrived just shy of noon, a secluded grove with a little creek running past it. A boulder sliced in two, one half tossed aside, a name carved gently into the sheer face of the resting half.

Len Yafuk - A good soul

Tony set the coffee maker at the foot of the rock, trying to collect himself as he did. He wasn’t quite sure what to say, if he should say anything at all. He knew this was ceremonial, he knew Death had taken him wherever it is he takes people. Even still, he had to cling to this, to something that tethered him here. He fumbled over his words.

“E-everyone is okay. Bel is good, Azel’s struggling but he’s okay too. Terry misses you a lot, Nines does too he’d just never admit it out loud. Everyone misses you...I miss you.” His body shook for a moment but he found just a few seconds more of composure.

“I feel like I don’t deserve the deal I got in all of this, but you told me to take it so I did. No going back now. We’re both stuck where we are. We just have to make the most of it.” he shivered out.

“I’ll stop blabbering. You’d already be on your way to lunch by now.” Tony turned away from the stone.
“We’re gonna do it, Len. We’re going to stop all of this. For your sake.”

~~~​

The midday sun felt more like July and less like October, but Nines knew nothing about weather, and made it a point not to spend any time thinking about the why or how of it. He wore a simple blend of peach and light reds with his shorts and coat, opting for a bike helmet over his usual hat and hood to give him something to the effect of sunglasses. Combat boots for the commute, a bandana around his neck for a splash of orange, the favorite color he’d never admit to having.

He perched off the top of the Morgenfellow tower on the upper west side. A concrete rooftop wasn’t considered by most to be a relaxing spot, but Nines had long since made peace with the discomfort of heat, considering his normal choice in clothing. He sat in the center of the roof, trying his hand at meditating.

He sucked at meditating.

He abandoned his efforts after a few minutes of racing thoughts and decisions to be made and produced his bow, drawing it back low, aimed skyward. He loosed the arrow and dropped the bow, waiting. The arrow flew up until it was little more than a black speck to his eyes and eventually he saw the speck extend as it turned and started to head down. This was the closest he could ever get to meditation, watching the arrow descend, its tip poised straight at the center of his chest. He thought about what it might be like, if it struck true. If it followed its rule. Would he find peace? Would all the chaos wind down into a quiet rhythm? Would the castle of order he’d built from nothing stand as a ruin? As a monument to his new life, to his freedom? Would Death finally share his secrets and show him what’s on the other side? The arrow’s head glistened in the sunlight as it finished its approach. Nines pivoted, tossing out his hand as he snatched the haft from the air and spun with its momentum, coming to rest near the edge of the roof as 6 locked down.

The sounds of gentle clapping broke the silence and Nines looked up to find a being that always knew how to make an entrance. Dressed in a slim black suit with a burgundy tie, hosting a sleek black cane with no curve at the handle over his shoulder. His face was covered with the skull of a ram this afternoon, a tattered cowl resting quietly atop its horns. He had less of a face and more of a visage, a strong jawline and chin with no mouth, only the warbling light of what looked like one to match the calm and quiet voice that rose from it.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were trying to get my sister’s attention.” said Death, setting his cane gently into the concrete. Nines knew saying nothing would probably be a poor choice, though Death’s presence always made him feel like silence was the best option.

“Do you think she’d notice?”

“Life? No, she doesn’t concern herself much with her finished products. She’s a forward thinker, always moving on to the next task. Her work doesn’t really allow her to review past projects like mine does. Which is probably a good thing, thinking on it now, I don’t know that I’d want her to spread her attention span any more than it already is.” Death reflected, stepping out to catch a view of the city.

“Are you here on business?” Nines asked. A question that hung heavy like a wrecking ball. No matter how it moved, if it struck something nearby it meant damage was guaranteed. Death sighed, or made a noise that sounded something like sighing. He regularly tried to mimic the mannerisms of the living, though he was almost always just shy of the mark.

“I’m afraid so.”

Nines felt the wrecking ball collide with Samael’s entire skyline. Death was overly polite, always making light of the situation to keep pleasantries intact and fears from brewing. The normal response was “something small came up, nothing to worry about”, or “just a personal matter, I’ll be gone by breakfast”. Now he spoke of his own fear. What on earth could Death fear? He felt a thin hand press into his shoulder.

“Things are changing, Nine. The lull we’ve seen in the past months wasn’t War growing complacent. He’s been experimenting. I worry that soon enough we’ll start to see the fruits of his labor.” Death stepped to the ledge of the tower and pointed his cane to the south of the city, as if trying to pin the exact location of something he knew was nearby.

“All these years you and the others have spent surviving this will quickly become your greatest tool.” Death’s body language was somehow still stoic, despite the gravity of his words. He tossed his cane to the air, allowing it to plummet to the ground.

“I hope to have more information for you all tonight. For now, see to your card. This one just might be worth your time.” With that, Death vanished as Nines blinked, leaving him to sit on a small mountain of new questions.

When the knock came, Terry couldn't open her eyes. Literally.

A layer of crust had formed over her eyelids, a result of all the fits and sickly toils from the previous night. Not to mention the lethargy that permeated throughout her body. At the center of the room covered not in paint, but in scattered polaroid pictures, the massive cocoon of blankets and sheets began to stir as a soft voice began to moan.

"Noo... Don't touch my pudding...!" she croaked. Not much of a convincing shout.

The ball went still for a moment, as though this was all the strength it could muster. But eventually, there was movement again. Like a worm poking its head out the dirt in the early morning, a little pale hand forces its way out of the ball of cloth . The arm flopped to the side of the floor-side futon. Instinctively, leading the hand landed over the mountain of tissue boxes piled against the wall. Wiping her eyes free of last night's discharge, Terry rose up like some sort of discount vampire as the cocoon unfurled to reveal a groggy pink form. When Terry finally sat up, it looked like she had been hibernating for weeks under the sheets. She appeared removed from the decency of modern society. Like a person of the wilds. Oily reddish strands formed a tumbleweed above her head. Terry almost regretted cleaning out her eyes as the bright light invaded her room and assaulted her dreary optical organs. She growled and tossed her head back, flipping up the plain blue tee over her face to lessen the blistering impact on her fragile eyes. She remained there for a moment, cowering underneath the tepee erected from her arm and shirt. Her discomfort must have exasperated something inside of her because she began groan and hammer her shoulder with a small white fist.

Really, it was a sight to see. She was far too young to be having back pains. But here Terry was, still in her teens, yet exhibiting what a retiree would look and feel like waking up in the morning.

Tony better have not touched her pudding.

But despite her strained rousing, Terry clapped both her cheeks and turned to the side of the bed with a swift kick of her legs. Despite her energetic start, she quickly deflated as she looked to the travel bag at her bedside. Next to it was an olden Polaroid camera. She touched it with a slight smile, but immediately turned to the bag. This was the first trial of the day. Each day.

Rising in the morning was already a feat of strength and willpower that would send most ordinary people into a state of abject hopelessness. But compound the dreadful endeavor with a requirement of swallowing bitter pills the size of jawbreakers and injecting oneself with drugs and chemicals, and anyone would find it hard to continue day by day. As much as she hated it, this was life for her. If she gave up just one day, all of the struggling would be for nothing. So she bite her lip and pushed forward, knowing that her life belonged not only to herself. But just because she was used to it, didn't mean it sucked any less.

As if searching for that last bit of strength, her deep orange eyes gazed out towards the morning sun beyond her window. Even though it dazed her, the glowing light raking across her room filled it with warmth. A warmth absent in the white boxes.

With another sigh, the little redhead took the bag and plopped it on a table to the side of the bed parallel to the wall. She began sorting out medications from capsules, cleaning needles, and turning on a small machine that would test her blood for irregularities. On the table, where she sorted the medicine that could probably supply a pharmaceutical shop alone, was a large circular mirror.

She gazed into the glass reluctantly. Despite expecting the worst, Terry frowned at the sickly girl that stared back at her. Deep dark bags, sunken cheeks, and veins running like roots underneath the dead pale skin was the reality she stared into.

Well, this is stark improvement over last night...

She puffed up her cheeks, pinching the skin until it grew pink before straying over and popping open the first canister. Tossing a pill the size of an over sized almond into her mouth, she grimaced at the bitter taste. The first of many. After a lengthy process of checks, sampling, and injections, the machine in her hand displayed a green light and the number '0.5'. Oxidization is clear. Satisfied with the result, Terry reached for a pair of slippers nearby. A pair of mix-matched furry ones in the shape of animals, one a brown dog and the other a raccoon. Seeing their googly eyes and silly expressions always brought a cheer to a sour morning. Scooting to the edge of the bed, Terry kicked both her feet out so the two animals faced her.

"Hello there, Barty and Chumpster. Hope you two have been sleeping fine. Will you help me today? I need to catch a pudding thief!"

With that, Terry bounced off the bed and marched over to her hanging closet to begin selecting clothes for the day.

"Hm... I'm feeling a bit like a dandelion today. Yellow and white. What do you say? Barty? Oh, no one wants to hear your negativity Chumpster."

After a short debate with her imaginary friends and a warm shower, Terry emerged from the washroom in her usual garb of colorful raincoats and jackets. Though today, a bomber coat wrestled over the layers of clothing. It had a small floral design around the collars and ribbing, which she adored. She smiled at the luck. It had been forgotten, nestled somewhere in a dusty old shop in the downtown metropolitan area. Though she was past her teen years, Terry still had the bright and lively aesthetic of one. She performed a twirl in front of the desk mirror, presently pleased with how well the second-hand purchased had turned out. Well, all of her clothing was all second-hand, to be fair.

But she was not complete. Not just yet. Terry continued the swirling motion, hopping on her tip toes back towards the bedside table. Sliding out a small pink case from the travel bag, she snapped open the latches on the side. From the looks of soft glosses, thin brushes, and sharp sponges, it was the usual make-up kit belonging to any young woman. A normal woman can go her whole life without make-up. Not Terry though. She needed it. After a few minutes in the 'polishing stage', as she came to call this part of the routine, the girl in the mirror looked like a much better reflection of her emotions. Of who she wanted to be.

Her smile beamed as she looked at the transformed girl, who had big rosy cheeks. It wasn't much, just a layer of blush, contour, and a light lip gloss. But it made a big difference. Though it was also no miracle of magic. No amount of beauty supply can change the fact she looked like a shut-in hermit who avoided the sun. But she will take looking like some sort of pale doll over looking like a corpse in a mortuary any day.

She posed a few times, practicing her various smiles. But it seemed like all the activity and excitement strangled something inside of her.

Terry began to feel her lungs and throat burning, her chest compressing as the air began to be squeezed slowly out from her. It was like she swallowed a cigarette. A series of vicious coughs brought her to her knees and she began to scamble. Wheezing and gasping, her hands desperately reached out for the travel bag and ripped open the zippers. Casting open one of the countless medicine boxes, she quickly retrieved a bright blue inhaler and bit down on the nozzle. The sound of pressurized release and the cold gas entering her body immediately relieved the inflammatory reaction. Her smile had all but disappeared as she grabbed the nearby trash bin and hacked into it, spitting out all the mucus build-up. And a bit of stomach acid.

"Bleurgh..."

Her eyes then flicked up at the poor sickly girl in the mirror clutching a waste basket. Her lip gloss was smeared.

Terry remained like this for a while, staring at her pathetic form in the glass. Her fingers grew bright red as she unknowingly squeezed the rim of the basket. But then, as if a reminder, her eyes caught view of the old camera beside her and pictures plastered all around. As if waking up from a stupor, she blinked and wiped her lips clean of the mess. Terry seemed to move even more energy than before. Quickly patching up the ruined parts of her make-up, she tossed all of the cumbersome tools and medicine cases back to the bag and slung the straps over her shoulder. Then, Terry suddenly pushed up to a stand and stamped into the bathroom to rinse her mouth. Fire burned in her eyes. There had been a place she wanted to visit before this most recent bout of bed-sickness. Now that she is able to walk again, nothing is going to stop her.

Absolutely nothing.

Scooping up the Polaroid camera, the skidding of slippers can be heard as Terry rushed up to the door. While exiting the room, Terry naturally looked a the temperature on her phone and frowned. It was going to be hot. Like really hot. She disliked these days the most.

Tony really better not have touched any of her pudding.

Hotel DeSangre - Lobby - 1st Floor

Terry
had begun to hum as she bound from her room to the central stairs, but only managed a series of waving melodies before falling into a fit of coughing. It was the dust in the air. It was always so dusty, for some reason. Popping another candy into her mouth, Terry begrudgingly slipped on a face mask and continued downwards. All that make-up to look for good for nothing.

Still, even with the sharp dryness in her throat, she tried to keep the soft melody going. It helped her on this part.

Step by step, she continued cautiously watching for anyone around the bend of the spiral. She didn't want to bump into anyone. It wasn't good for any parties involved. She would spread a foreign disease, while also contracting a new host of germs. She didn't want to be bedridden for another week. And she didn't want to wish that upon anyone else. Though mostly, she was just hoping she wouldn't find another dead person sitting on the steps again. She nearly tripped over the last one. Those were definitely big mood killers. Luckily, it was just the usual grim, yet harmless atmosphere of the hotel of supernaturals. Not many people used the stairs when there was the elevator. But one could never be too careful. The little redhead passed a few people out on their own morning rituals in the hallways, but she quickly ducked her head and pushed by wordlessly. She dearly wished to say hello or give them a greeting, but she knew better than to. Slowly, she learned that she had been the cause of more harm than good. Each person she interacted with eventually got inexplicably ill. They might not show right away, but when it does it is unmistakable. Still, if anyone looked like they needed help she wouldn't hesitate. After all, that was how she met Tony and... well.

It was probably for the best that most people didn't introduce themselves around here.

When Terry passed the lobby, she tried to match her humming to the piano melody echoing from the floor below. But the song ended the moment she started trying to copy the notes. The keeper sure doesn't miss a beat. Still, she waved to the pair of gloved hands as she rushed past the counter. But before she disappeared, Terry made a 'shush' sort of gesture to Mr. Fel.

Moments later, Terry can be seen creeping in the hallway outside the kitchen. She looked like the real life equivalent to the animal adorning her foot, a snooping cartoonish raccoon. She was practically crawling on her hands as she fought to keep from the many jackets and coats from crumpling. Slowly and painfully, she made sure each step she lifted her feet properly so her slippers wouldn't slide off and break her cover. This process of over-arching her feet and body continued all the way to the end. But even long before she reached the other side of the hall, Terry was able hear the sounds of dishes being clattered, pans sizzling, and knives chopping away. Now that she was up close, she could really hear how inhuman the keepers of the hotel really worked. All of these things sounded like they were happening all at once. Even though it shouldn't be anything new to her at this point, she was amazed nonetheless. Peeking her head through the double doors left slightly ajar, she saw the familiar gray-skinned mother of Hotel DeSangre.

Seeing that she was busy with something, her back turned towards the door, a mischievous smile piqued on Terry's face.
Immediately seizing the opportunity, Terry burst through the door and rushed forward with both arms hoping to tackle hug the demoness.

"Ha! You've got your guard down, Bel!" Terry yelled. But despite the hectic entrance, Terry wrapped her arms around Bel and squeezed softly like how she would a soft plushie.
"You're lucky it's just me. But you better watch out. If you keep doing this, a creep might take advantage of you. Like Tony, for example." rolling the medicine candy in her mouth, "Speaking of that old gigolo-fashion-wannabe, did he lay a finger on my pudding? Did he?"

Last edited:
Mentioned: JINNI JINNI teen_angst teen_angst Meredith Meredith Interacted: Euclid Leaf Euclid Leaf TheLoneRook TheLoneRook
Charon.jpg
C h a r o n
Rings formed across the surface of a puddle as beige, sun-scorched boots stepped through them. Rain gently pattered against the brim of his cap and dropped down just to get blown against his cloak and form little runlets down to his feet. First gunfire sounded, then an explosion lit up the strange figure calmly walking down an alley. Charon sighed behind his mask. Fourth time this month a fledgling turned their back on his hospitality, only to run into a CWI patrol only a few minutes later. They were getting better and better at searching, but he wasn't going to change the natural lifespan of the brave and the foolish. Death would be out of a job. Charon was only here to offer them a chance.

As he reached the end of the alley, three specialists appeared in his path; but they looked more surprised to see him than he did to see them. Quickly he struck the first one's chest with an open palm, causing a rain of fractured ventricles and blood to spew out of their back and their body to fall down limp. Before the others had an opportunity to react his oar had shot out and liquefied both their necks, decapitating them and so silencing all of them before they had a chance to call out. One had a remote sensor on his back that Charon took the opportunity to smash before he stepped over their corpses. He had to move now, before the CWI realized they lost three members before they entered the combat zone. He was done for tonight anyway, his card was completed and the fledgling had been approached, time to go back to the hotel and get some well earned sleep.

At the end of the docks he placed his oar into the water, generating a stream to summon his boat back to him. Out of the fog a shape reminiscent of an Italian gondola appeared, but before it reached him an explosion rocked his surroundings. Charon turned his head in time to see the frail body of the fledgling get propelled out of the alleyway he'd just left, bounce once off the cobbled ground, then come to rest as they splashed into the water and clung weakly to the old, half-rotted remnant of a wooden pier's support beam. The fledgling was a young boy, probably no older than sixteen or seventeen. He didn't seem to have the energy to struggle anymore, and with tired eyes looked up towards Charon's towering silhouette and whispered weakly.

"Help."

Out of the alley came a standard formation of specialists, guns raised. Only a couple hesitated momentarily at the sight of their companion's brutalized corpses, well trained as they were. Their guns were soon fixed on the large figure down the way, but the oar Charon held no longer created a stream for his boat. The ocean just around it rose like a swollen bruise, and a growing tendril of water wrapped itself around it. Waist-high water dashed around Charon's figure as he raised the oar above his head with one hand. Then he swung it.

The CWI operatives fired, but bullets have little effect on water. Fourteen inches is enough to make a 50. BMG round harmless even to ordinary humans, and the eleven-foot wave that now rolled towards them across the docks was much thicker than that. The wave collided with the buildings, breaking windows, crushing the walls of the leftmost building and rocking the foundation of the more modern and reinforced rightmost one. Rubble was sent flying in all directions, and the screams of the operatives that didn't immediately get knocked out by the impact quickly drowned in the explosive sound. Inside the fog a strong arm let go of the scruff of the fledgling's neck, and their body fell limply into the boat. They'd passed out, as well. Charon shook his head, and started rowing away from the chaos in silence.

Damn this bleeding heart of mine.

Ashton Cross.jpg
Ashton "Ash" Cross
Ashton awoke with a yawn and a stretch. How long had he been out? Four, five hours? He reached out and pulled aside the drapes just to the side of his bed, then immediately regretted his decision as he was blinded by sunlight and flailed his arms around before falling out of the bed onto a mismatched pile of clothes. He'd swore to Azazel he'd clean it up, but he might have been a little unclear about the time frame on that. Wonder if he could convince him to spar somewhere down the line, the spear fighting style was a particularly interesting point to learn from.

With a hand correcting the topmost button on his shirt he left his room, hair in a mess but his outfit in order. Thanks to the horrible weather he'd decided to forego the raincoat for once, but the gloves stayed on. The gloves always stay on. Period. He wondered if Mr. Fel or Bel had bothered with the unconscious fledgling he'd left in a puddle of rainwater in the lobby before he went to sleep. Of course they must've, the lovable selfless demons. Truly, the hotel staff was a lot more pleasant to be around than the depressing first years, but he could still recall and feel the sharp pain of being robbed a normal life. That pity still drove him to rescue those he had time to, but years of seeing idiots dash to their own deaths made you apathetic to the struggles of the fledglings.

But the successful ones made it worth it. He smiled as the elevator passed the 7th, 6th, and 5th levels. Jonah, William, Dea. They'd done very well for themselves to get this far, but he supposed it was to be expected. They were older, more wary of the world, more experienced than he was! Usually it was the younger fledglings who died out the fastest, but the second year wasn't easy on anyone. Ever. They were coming up on that now. Silently he wished for them to do well and grow stronger, but he'd do well not to pick favorites. That... That didn't end well last time. The gloves creaked as he formed fists tight enough to whiten his knuckles. This wasn't his favorite day of the year. He'd do well not to dwell on it much.

The elevator reached the lobby and with a real bounce in his step he strode across the room. "Mornin', Mister Fel!" He offered in passing and waved at the pair of floating white gloves behind the reception desk, but his steps bent in a different direction. Food. He'd skipped out on one to many meals thanks to the previous day's exhausting card. Strange ritual murder and destruction that he didn't quite understand, but he really didn't want to have to ask Tony for help with a vampire or something crazy like that coming after him.

As he reached the low murmur of the already populated dining room, his keen ears picked up a familiar and pleasant voice; one that'd been here from around the start. His pace hastened, and he found himself sliding to a stop outside the most appreciated and aromatic sections of Hotel DeSangre: the kitchen."Hey hey, Terry!" He spoke with a worried tone. "It's impolite to disturb someone who's working!" Terry, in her trademark raincoat and infinite layers of clothing held Bel around the waist. "It's nice to see you out of bed though, how are you feeling?" Then his cheeks turned a slight tint of red as Ashton turned his eyes to Beelzebub, offered a very hasty bow and continued "Andgooddaytoyou,Bel! Itsmellsreallygoodinhere! Betyou'recookingupsomethingreallygreat!" His nervous sentences were so fast that they poured into one another.

Now, one might assume that he had some sort of interest in the demoness. No, it's nothing like that. Ashton was... well, it's a little embarrassing to say. Ashton was just, well...

Terrified of doctors.

Last edited:
In pretty much any other circumstance, squeezing Bel's midsection unwarranted was an excellent way to end up cut in half. Luckily, Terry was probably one of the two, maybe three exceptions to this rule. Tony would never lay a hand on her, although if she had to consider the possibility she didn't think she'd mind his squeezing. Of course she and practically everyone else with a brain in the hotel knew where his eyes always managed to land at the end of the day.

She produced a delicately packaged vanilla-cream pudding from seemingly thin air, as if by magic (it was magic, but she'd never tell). She held it just out of Terry's reach.

"Oh this? Well no, Tony's not clever enough to steal anything from me." Bel tossed the cup on top of a cupboard on the far wall of the kitchen. "Bold of you to assume I'd just give it to you, though. You know the rules, clean plates win puddings, not pouting."

A tattered boatman stumbled his way through the kitchen and fumbled over the basic capacity for speech. Lovable though he was, trying to manage his wounds was like trying to give an alley cat a bubble bath, and Bel was all but tired of being frightening. A couple centuries ago? Sure, run away, scream or something. Now it was just a bit old news. At least he was afraid of her for something other than her rap sheet as an instrument of Death. A refreshing irritant, like a mint that scratches the back of the throat on the way down.

"Ashton in the future if you're going to pick up the sick puppies on the side of the road, please try to retrieve them before they're beat within an inch of their life." she called, capturing the doctorly visage Ashton feared to really sink the message in. She hardly considered herself a doctor, but if the shoe kicked swiftly enough, she'd wear it. She knew he liked to maintain his two-faced status, but that didn't grant him any exceptions to her law and order.

Hotel DeSangre - Kitchen - 1st Floor

Terry
turned her head to wave at the new face. Though it wasn't exactly new. She was happy to a familiar face. A smiling, genuine face. Those were rare around here. Very rare.

She grinned past her face mask, "I've been dealing with illness all my life. Something so small won't get me down."

There had been a time Terry was confused as to why Ashton always talked in a weird way around Bel, in particular. Maybe a few years ago she would've been naive enough to come up with some sort of silly reason. Like him being socially awkward or that he was allergic to pretty women. But she knew better now. Terry had grown wise to the subconscious and subverted nature of a human's actions. In her short life outside in the open world, she has learned plenty to know the tell-tale signs of this particular behavior. Probably, it was in a comic somewhere. Terry winked at him while still hanging onto Bel's back. It was a knowing one. It said, 'I know your secret'. As though to prove her point, she then nodded in approval. "I'm rooting for you!", the gesture screamed.

He has a crush, doesn't he? I know he does. It's so cute.

After seeing the pudding pop into the keeper's hand out of thin air, Terry immediately gasped. "Yay!"
It was like magic. But like magic, it was too good to be true. Bel had a condition for giving the pudding to her. Terry watched as her prized was flipped across the room, out of her reach. It was a simple enough condition. But Terry wanted to try her new self-found courage today.

"But you know how long it takes me to eat..." she said in a soft voice, "If you make it wait like that, it'll go cold... and go bad. That's no way to treat pudding! Think of all the poor unfortunate people in the world who have never had pudding! I have to enjoy it for their sa--"

But in the middle of her protest, her stomach committed a deep-seeded betrayal. And growled.
Knowing the winds in her sails had been blown out underneath her, Terry deflated.

"Aww... Fine, fine." she muttered, letting go and strutting in defeat over to the mountain of food on the tables.

She pushed a chair not for herself, but Ashton too. Though by two chairs apart. It might seem a bit distant. But it was so that he wouldn't have to breathe her air. Naturally, Bel was a demon and wasn't affected so much by her diseases. But Terry had to treat other people differently. There always had to be distance. Even if she did truly like them. Carefully, Terry used a long metal tong on the side to grab her meal. A burrito here, and a piece of bacon there. It was a small modest plate. Just enough to satisfying both her hungry body and the strict keeper of her pudding. Truthfully, she loved spicy food. It was just that spicy things didn't do well with her stomach. Not that solid foods did well going through either. It was like her own body was a broken filter, one that filtered not garbage but all the good things that was supposed to help it. Still, she enjoyed eating for what the novelty it was.

While carefully shifting through the foods, Terry spoke cheerfully, "Puppies? I didn't know you had puppies, Ashton. All this time, I haven't seen you with one. That's just so cute though. Where do you keep them? I'd love to come and meet them."

Last edited:
Ashton Cross.jpg
Ashton "Ash" Cross
"I don't have a clue what you're talking about-" Ashton looked over to Bel as he spoke, where he promptly bit his tongue at the sight of her inexplicable aura of doctor. Honestly, when he found out about Jonah's weapon's capabilities, he'd been more than relieved thinking he'd could just ask him instead of actually visiting a medic. Unfortunately, that option wasn't always around. A bead of sweat formed on his forehead from the proverbial choke hold as he raised his hands like he was surrendering and smiled nervously. "Duly noted, ma'am." Slowly his gaze shifted over to Terry, still with her hands around Bel in a suplex waiting to happen. She was enthusiastically winking and nodding at him meaningly, as if to say "I've got something in my eye, but I'm still happy". Ashton shot a friendly, but confused and a little concerned look her way.

He was quick to tail after Terry towards the food, relieved to slip away from their gracious chef. He didn't even dislike Bel or anything, she just made him nervous and he didn't particularly like to lose his footing like that. In a vain attempt to show that he indeed had respect for her he opted to fill his plate with an aggressive amount of omelettes and bacon, finishing it off with a burrito on top for flair. Only when he'd sat down and mumbled a "Thank you very much!" to Terry, did he come to terms with the insurmountable challenge he'd given himself. He shifted his eyes between his fork and the towering pile of food that spilled from his plate. Not eating what he'd put on his plate would surely be an insult to the chef he thought, and swallowed hard. Oh well, he'd come this far.

"Puppies?" Ashton managed to speak despite the omelette and bacon prison on his tongue. "Oh, well you see, it's nothing like-" Once more he had to cut himself short. Terry's visage was always haunting to him, she reminded him of his mother just before the end, except Terry was exceptionally powerful and wasn't actively dying. He couldn't bring himself to reveal the misunderstanding now that she'd sounded so positive about it. I guess I'm getting a dog. "Nothing like 'puppies', it's just one little fella. He's doing alright now, I'll bring him 'round for you to see, no problem, but he's, uh, with a friend. In the city. A pretty long walk from here." A half-chewed piece of bacon made a daring leap into his windpipe, and he had to stop to cough it out.

"Anyway..." Ashton regained his composure. From his left pocket he produced an opened red envelope and crumpled it in his fist, dropping it next to his plate. "Have you gotten mail today?"

The sounds of rain spattered off of the rough concrete, filling the room with an elegant, airy rhythm. It was the only thing that kept William going, after spending all last night and all morning putting the finishing touches on his best work yet. It wasn't quite a magnum opus, but it was significant, especially to him. As he laid the final brush stroke, he stepped back, idly knocking some rubble into the 3x3.5 meter hole in the floor next to him.

"Perfection."

With a single press of a button, the raining stopped, and he put the bluetooth speaker back in his bag, alongside his laptop. As he did, he slid out his camera, taking several shots from multiple angles of the mural. As he did so, he flicked on some work lamps around the room, playing around with the lighting. As soon as he got a shot he liked, he pressed a button on the camera to send the image to his phone, and finished packing everything up. He left out the rags, brushes, and paint- cleanup could wait for later.

After all, he was finally done.

He was worried, at first- that perhaps the paint wouldn't stick, or that he'd miss a stroke here or there and have to whitewash the whole thing and start all over. But now, it was like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders.

And now he was hungry.

And then he had to kill people.

But for now, he had a worthy centerpiece for the penthouse suite- a little side project he had been working on with Nines. Though, to call it little was a massive disservice. The work for putting together the penthouse was seemingly unending- especially since Nines insisted on knocking out the walls between two connected suites on two separate floors, before connecting them with a hole in the floor of the 14th-

Needless to say, it was a mess. It took them weeks just to get rid of all of the decrepit furniture, wallpaper, old paint, asbestos, rubble, and glass- and then they had to board up the exterior wall, knock out the walls between the suites, get rid of more rubble-

Honestly, the work never ended. But, perhaps that was a good thing. It was something to keep their minds off of the never-ending demands of War. A little slice of heaven, separated from the rest of the hotel, where only the wind and the street below could be heard.
He slid down the ladder poking up through the hole in the floor, before sending the picture of the mural to Nines with the message: "Check it" followed by a line of fire emojis.

The mural was an action-shot of Nines and William, both fighting some unseen foe, on a white background. William was suspended in the middle of a backflip with his blades fully extended, back parallel to the ground, while his warband's blades trace black lines through the white background, as if cutting through the mural itself. Below him, crouched low, was Nines. Nines was rushing forward, blurred around his edges from the speed of his movement, as his metal bat glints in the light. While you can't see Nine's face, his murderous intent is clear in his pose- he's about to deliver the finishing blow. The further from the center of the mural you look, the more faded the two become- at their edges, they blend almost wholly into the white background.

William smirked as he set the mural as the background of his phone, then clicked it off to head downstairs for a much deserved break.

After several minutes, William emerged from the stairwell, idly crossing the lobby.

He was wearing a paint splattered denim jacket over a plain black tee, with similarly paint-splattered blue jeans - not because he'd gotten any paint on his clothing, of course, he was far too careful for that. His clothing was tastefully pre-splattered, part of the experimental #Spring-2k13 line. The paint was all colors, going in all directions, in all sorts of patterns, giving the outfit a chaotic, yet decidedly vibrant look, like he'd stepped out of a painting himself.

As he headed towards the kitchen, he spotted Jonah out of the corner of his eye, walking towards the back entrance, with some sort of large pot of flowers in his hands. There was no way he was going to be able to get the door by himself. William sighed, putting aside his hunger for now, before stepping to the back entrance to open the door for Jonah. "Do you want to join me for breakfast, after you're done with those flowers?" William said, smiling "Who're they for, anyhow?"

jonah-png.749564
Jonah 'Dante' Ellis Absolutely exhausted.

The heat had been tolerable through the night. Nice, even.

Jonah had been up all night. He’d spent the early hours on the town - warbrand as hidden as it could be, for him, which was in plain sight with the sigil turned inward. He wore an old work uniform - from the job he’d never shown up to again - and he had idly wondered if he was ever called in as a missing person occasionally. More like for him to be called in with a criminal.

He’d walked through the park, leaving behind signs for his family - signs he was still present, still watching, still caring. He left fairly circles of tiny, fluorescent flowers in the park trailing behind his scythe, something his little sister had always been particularly fond of. They looked imposing in a way - like a vital location in some sort of old video game’s quest line - but most residents to the park would barely give them a second glance. If they weren’t looking for him, at least.

He’d avoided conflict. He tried to. Was almost notorious for it - finding ways to kill and maim as few as possible sometimes necessitated killing others in exceptionally brutal ways. He hoped some of the men who had run away had thought to reconsider their poor life choices.

If they didn’t, then at least they’d been warned.

His hand reached up to wipe the dirt from his face. He looked as if he’d been gardening, and as he shoved his hip against the back door (why did they always lock them?) he swore to himself. Another route, then. A trip around the house lugging a large pot of flowers. Red and white - all lilies, and hyacinths, and lupins. Flowers for mourning. Instead, he rocked up onto his tiptoes, staring into the door’s window.

He hadn’t known Len well. He’d been at the hotel for only a few weeks when he died, after all. But he knew what it was to grieve - to grieve a person, a family, a life. It could consume him - and yet, little gestures as the one he intended to provide kept him moving.

The last of three bouquets - one laid on either side of the door, and the last potted and live in his hands - drooped in his hands. He was tired, sweat rolling down his face, and he could feel the grit between his teeth.

A smile forced onto his face at William’s approach. He was always helpful - a little artsy, a little avant-garde, but Jonah was used to dealing with that through his clients. He’d hate to be rude, even if he-

He really had to say something. An awkward laugh caught in his throat.

“I was going to, ah, ask Bea where to put them. I didn’t know..” A slight pause, just as awkward, and his head tilted slightly - lips parting in contemplation. The bags under his eyes were purpled, almost as if he’d been concussed, sunk with weight. “They’re for Len.”

It came out heavier than he’d expected it to. “In memoriam, I mean. I don’t know if the living - if they might want them, uh, planted on the grave. It’s pretty common in private graveyards as a way to liven up headstones.”

Grim. “Or, I mean, I can put some cut ones up there and keep these in the kitchen! Or just keep these in the kitchen. The kitchen is also nice.” Hopeless.

» dea bonum valenti

Black, blue, ochre, others colors Dea couldn't make out. Multiple scenes flashed, visited and went away like a faint glimmer in a starry night. Only one thing was the same; she couldn't walk. Dea tried her very best to move her legs, only to find they wouldn't comply. Almost as if something was dragging her down, neither gravity nor her weight. It was something different.. a shackle, a force so strong it could only belong to a god. Not again. Not another god. Not after she'd killed everyone she knew, including her parents-- no. that was not me. these weird dreams are starting to come more often that you'd think. starting to really get to me. .

A voice rang in Dea's mind, waking her up. She felt chills creeping and enveloping her entire body; must've been the cold weather getting to her. The nun hasn't dare step foot in her mansion after killing everyone off. Perhaps the freedom she longs dearly for could be found in the streets. No one could know what was going on inside that mind of hers, not even her other psyche. Ever since living in the streets, her slumbers haven't stayed the same. Flashbacks; moments Dea couldn't recognize kept playing in her mind. As far as she knew, her parents and everyone in the church were killed by a cold-blooded murderer currently on the run. Why was it that she kept seeing these visions of something she doesn't remember doing? Sure, she went to the church with the resolve to resign, but that was it.

You survived. That is good.

A loud voice echoed through Dea's mind, breaking her focus. She recognized the voice's owner almost immediately, the man who gave her the silver sword. For what reason, she did not know. Not yet.

Show me what you've got.

With the message ended, Dea went back to sleeping. There was no way she could continue voyaging in this cold weather.

~

Same old, same old. Dea was living for the sake of living. Avoiding the CWI was starting to feel like a hassle, not to mention the warbeasts. Whose life was she living? Everything was a bit too much for a girl only trained to converse. All she knew was she had to survive, for whatever reason.

For whatever reason a piece of paper, with the address of a certain hotel, found its way to Dea. Her memory was fuzzy, none of it made sense. A man dressed in all black, a bell chiming, and a wooden oar. Somehow, these three things were connected to the address. It was wrong to be too trustful, but having a place to sleep sounded nice. Any place at all would be nice rather than having to sleep on the streets, always having to hide. If things came to the worse, Dea was sure she could fend for herself. Call that other woman up. She didn't like that she completely loses her grip on things and what happens next, though. After contemplating for a hot half and hour, Dea decided not too think too much and just go. Worst case scenario, someone will be coming after her life. Onward to 1404 Belvedere Avenue.

~~

"Not that dream again," exclaimed Dea as she let out a small yawn, arms stretched high up in the air. "Definitely warmer here," she added, getting up from her bed. Getting up in the morning was usually easy for Dea, weirdly, not today. She felt drowsy, uneasy, like she was made up of a rubber ball. Her muscles felt strangely dislocated and numb, mind tingling slightly with dizziness. Did that take over her body again and do some crazy acrobatics? Dea decided not to let anything bother her cozy morning. She quickly finished her business and headed downstairs.

Beep.
"Morning, Mr. Fel. Hope this day will be kind to you, as always!" Dea said, passing by the receptionist with a warm smile. She decided to head straight to the dining room. A faint, but clearly attractive scent was spreading in the air like wildfire. Breakfast never smelled so good before Hotel deSangre. Bel was an amazing cook, after all. Even if Dea could only get a sniff of her cooking, she'd be happy. Anything other than street food. Not the delicious treats you're thinking about, the other, more literal street food. Dea had enough of those.

Approaching the dining room, Dea could hear some familiar voices from the direction. A male, somewhat adolescent voice-- probably Ashton. The squeaky, soft voice was probably coming from Terry. The elder voice had to be Bel's. Dea entered the vicinity hopeful for food, after answering Ashton's question about red envelopes. "Not me. Good morning, everyone! What's for breakfast?" She let excitement seep through her words as she took a seat, looking at everyone else before staring at Bel with a starry-eyed smile.

code by @Nano

Last edited:
The solemn road of Death’s normal route across the world paled in comparison to walking the streets of the living. His tunnels and portways were faster, and landed him exactly where he aimed to go, but there was nothing to witness. He so rarely got to spend time in his own realm, his work kept him on the mortal plane, so on occasion he figured in a way, walking the roads of the living was somewhat closer to his realm than his own roads. In a sick and twisted way, he was simply familiarizing himself with future tenants of his domain.

The hot sun was more than likely miserable for the people he passed on his quiet stroll through Samael’s streets. He could sense their discomfort in their energies, cursing up to the gods they chose to name. The complaints on their own merit were founded, but they cursed the wrong beings. Stellaria, or whatever she called herself now, had changed nothing about the sun’s behavior. This was War’s work, a product of the energies he was contorting for his next project. To think he would go to such lengths simply to amuse himself. Boredom was not a luxury most gods were afforded, and clearly it was not something any of them should be given.

Hurried footsteps quickly matched his long stride as his newest “employee” met him at his side. Walking alongside Death normally was considered a leisurely stroll, but those rumors all stemmed from a time when Death was guiding a kind soul, not purposefully striding forward. Now he moved with purpose, and flew through the mortal realm with a technique that allowed him to pass alongside mortals unseen while still able to manipulate their world. It allowed him to influence his work briefly while he stepped past, checking for the next to come to his doorstep and occasionally granting the unfortunate a lucky break. It was work that he’d normally quite enjoy, if the circumstances were less serious. Tony was young in his new form, but his strength from his past life gave him the swiftness to keep pace, which was frightening to passerby but Death’s aura was enough to keep their eyes from straying too long.

“Did you want a new name? I forgot to ask but I figured since I gave the others fun little names I wasn’t sure if maybe you wanted one.” Death asked, quietly making a note to return to the building they’d just passed to attend to a man’s newly developing cancer. Tony’s breath was a bit sparse but he kept pace surprisingly well despite Death’s speed.

“My name’s fine, at least while people are alive to remember it.” he replied, gripping the hilt of Psykronis like someone aiming a dowsing rod, his eyes spiraling and darting across the city.

“Don’t strain yourself, Tony. Even now, with your abilities no longer influenced by his power, War’s still all too capable of hiding his presence. Tony scowled as his power dimmed back to his perspective. He expected too much of himself, but then again that was why he’d chosen this path. Death would be hypocritical to place blame.

“So you can’t see him either?”

“No, I wasn’t created to oversee him or his affairs, so my ability to track him is only as powerful as my ability to locate his handiwork. If he were to show himself physically in Samael, it would be visible to more than just us I’m sure.” Death chimed, gently nudging a man out of the way of a speeding motorcycle. As the man stumbled forward the heat of the sun seemed to burst against Death’s back. His visage visibly darkened, as if the light surrounding him became wary of his presence. “Return to the hotel. Make sure the others attend to their cards as normal. Tony’s eyes started to scan the city again as he watched Death’s mood shift but he wouldn’t be able to sense something like this.

“Is it him?”

“Go, Tony.”

Death had to assume he would obey. He lingered in the mortal plane no longer, his roads tore through space and thrusted him onto the stony floor of a ruined castle. The stone was soaked in blood, covered in bodies real, proverbial, and everything in between. In their hands and strewn across them were beautiful, pristinely cleaned weapons. He recognized them all, the weapons and their masters.

A figure that could be viewed as nothing short of a demon sat lackadaisically upon a throne of skulls, crowns, and other miscellaneous trophies. His body was not covered in scars but seemed to be comprised of scars entirely, everything about him torn to pieces and reformed, even the black of his eyes. His skin was reminiscent of both stone and metal yet neither; dark, coarse, metallic, granular. He had no hair, no clothes. Nothing more than a cloth for the sake of keeping appearances amongst his siblings and a silver shortsword sheathed by stabbing itself through a strip of flesh on his waist.

Stood at the foot of the dias were two of their siblings. A woman, in the form of a beautiful, yet mortal physique dressed meagerly in worn clothes with cartoonish representations of the stars and planets. The only unusual trait she wore was her hands, one glowing with the heat of a newborn star, the other darker than the center of a black hole. Her arms were crossed and she pouted as though she’d been interrupted to attend the impromptu gathering.

The other was a man, his body entwined in robes made of precious metals bound into tight chains, painted over with thousands of words in thousands of languages, constantly changing to reflect new information. His face was entirely blank save for a single circle in its center to denote where one should look in order to address him properly. He carried with him a massive tome open to a certain page, a quill at the ready in his other hand.

Death wasn’t exactly surprised by who was in attendance, but the matter of why they were there still hung in the air.

“This is bold, even for you.” Death growled. The man at the foot of the dias began scribing as he spoke without even glimpsing at the page. War chuckled low, like the rumblings of bombs in the distance.

“Careful brother dear, you’re under Law’s careful watch. Can’t have you misbehaving now, can we?”

Death didn’t grace him with the courtesy of a reply. He could see the events unfolding. Technically, War was not breaking the code they were all bound under. His efforts in Samael were little more than a perversion of a loophole in an ancient writ that would never be amended. Law more than likely had his own opinions on the subject, but as long as his book remained unchallenged he wouldn’t interfere. He was a shield, only there to keep Death from ending this chaos under his own judgment. The scythe’s edge that wisped around his cane seemed to grow sharper by the second, but his body remained still.

Stellaria, another neutral party in the affair, was at least more outspoken than Law. “I don’t understand this, War. There’s no point, it’s just a waste of-”

YOUR USELESS MONOTONY IS A WASTE OF TIME, SISTER!” War bellowed, crushing the armrest of his throne under his grip. “All of you, you do nothing but follow your rules and busy yourselves with menial tasks. You forego your own potential for the sake of some nonsensical duty! Our master has left us to wither into eternity, and you would SIT HERE and do little more than TOIL for NOTHING!” War stood from his post and crushed the floor under his feet. His very existence drew enough weight to suppress armies under its mass. His demeanor quickly shifted back to smug as he clasped his hands together. “You should be thanking me, Mortem. I could have wrapped my fog around the entire world, shared this blessing with all its creatures. I at least had the decency to keep things manageable for the both of us.”

Law piped up with a quiet but precise correction. “Per your conditions and codices, any attempt at manipulating the planet in its entirety would exceed the limitations set by the master-”

ENOUGH WITH YOU.” War declared, silencing Law’s recital. He returned his focus to Death. “I’m not here to waste your time, brother, I’ll be quick. I’ve made a decision, as to how I’d like to conclude my little project.” he murmured, stepping down to the base of the dias.

“This is a declaration of war. My armies against yours.”

Death leered, and his eyes drifted to Law, who made no comment. This was within the code somehow? Stellaria kept quiet, though she too seemed a bit puzzled. He returned his eyes to War’s, who all but seemed to expect the silence.

“I’ve already provided the combatants, and you yourself have even retrofitted them with your own handiwork. You’ve trained some of them, even. Now, this won’t be quite as immense as some of my more noteworthy pieces but what it lacks in scale it will make up for in grandeur. “ War drew his sword from his waist and swung it about as though demonstrating his idea. “I understand that, by Law’s accounts, you would not be permitted to participate yourself. I however, am under no such restraints.”

Death knew enough to challenge the concept. “You can’t fight alongside mortals. That much I remember.” Law picked his hand to explain but Stellaria outpaced him.

“They aren’t mortal, not technically.” She looked straight to Death, not an ounce of sarcasm to be found, despite frantic searching.

Death froze as War grinned, his plan finally laid bare.

~~~

“Your name?”
“Juuten Hasakusa.”
“What do you do for work, Mr. Hassakussa?”
“Hasakusa.”
“Hassakussa, whatever, answer the question.”
“I’m a barista.”
“Where?”
“The Owlhouse, on Crestbrook and Wharton.”
“They can verify your employment?”
“They can.”
“Where are you from?”
“I grew up in downtown.”
“No, where are you from?”
Downtown.
“Alright smartass take off the aAAAAAAAAGH-”

Nines stepped away from the specialist who had begun to scream and writhe in agony on the ground, picking up his newly discarded ID card. It was just a little prick on his hip, he wasn’t even bleeding. At least his obnoxious interrogation was over with. He decided to take his leave as passerby flocked to witness the spectacle, some kind samaritans attempting to help him somehow. The pain would wear off in a minute or two. 2 dismissed itself from his hand, as if aware its work was already done.

Bzzt

“Check this.”

Tikka tikka tik tik tik tikka

“Check what?”

Nines flipped his phone shut. Probably another picture. He told Will they didn’t come through properly. Oh well, I’m sure he’ll show me six or seven more times before the week is through.

A new dilemma arose. Did he bother to go back to the hotel? Tony would probably be there, Azel and Bel would be there. Will might be working on the penthouse, or he could be off somewhere doing whatever it was he did. The fledglings might take all the good hash browns. He could just get an apple from the park. He could go get chili fries from the food truck by the pier. He paced down an alleyway as he considered his options. He noticed a glint of red out of the corner of his eye, peaking from a trashcan. Really? You couldn’t have just set it on top? He pulled the slightly wet card out from under the lid and wiped it off on the wall.

Jonah Ellis

Oh great, that’s gonna be a golem at least, maybe two. He tugged his phone back out and found the contact labeled “Flower Boy?”.

“You’re my target. Let me know your decision ASAP. 9.” It was a copy paste text he sent to anyone who came up on his card he had a phone number for. He’d give it a few days, and if he heard nothing back he’d go out to the pit and wait for the warbeasts to find their way to him. Standard procedure, obnoxious but nothing he hadn’t done hundreds of times now.

Nines headed to the pier, chili fries were clearly the correct play here. He texted Will whatever abomination his flipphone had for a food emoji and a boat emoji to keep him in the loop. He’d figure it out, he was good at stuff like that.

Hotel DeSangre - Kitchen - 1st Floor

Terry
nodded her head excitedly at the prospect of meeting a new friend, "Yes, show me, show me! I can't wait! Oh, but then that means I have to set aside allergy medication for that day..."

She made a face at Ashton choking, reaching out a hand before pulling it back in. She held a concerned pose, halfway hanging off her seat as she watched him cough. Luckily, it seemed he wasn't in any real danger, as he dislodged the misplaced food and continued the conversation as casually as possible.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, didn't your mum tell you that?" she said with a giggle.

"Anyway..." Ashton regained his composure. From his left pocket he produced an opened red envelope and crumpled it in his fist, dropping it next to his plate. "Have you gotten mail today?"

Terry
stopped cutting the burrito with the butter knife and looked up at Ashton a little disappointingly. It was clear that this was something she didn't want to talk about. In that moment, the kitchen began to heat up. Not just from the soured mood, or the literal cooking happening, or even the blistering sensation building up inside her mouth from the inferno spiced burrito. ''

Rather, a handful of people seemingly all at once barged through the doors.

Terry waved at the newcomers from her end of the table in an obligatory and desultory manner, doing her best to greet everyone while simultaneously keeping out of their way. She seemed in a panic, trying to both get a drink of water while trying to touch everything as little as possible. It was getting very crowded, much too fast. This was danger zone. As she debated on whether to extend the social distancing, she couldn't help but overhear the conversation going no about flowers for graves. Really, between this and that, it began to look quite troublesome for Terry. In that moment, Terry seemed to have changed. Her usual brightness faded. She suddenly looked very tired, the blush sapped from her face. At least the parts which could be seen. Her eyes went dark and she suddenly went stiff and silent. Her energetic demeanor quietly wilted, like a flower that has had too much water.

In a sudden motion, Terry tucked her knife into the burrito and stood up from the table.

"Ahaha, it's getting quite hot in here isn't it? I should've shaved off some spice!" she said to Ashton, her laugh unusually pitched, "As for mail. It's best if the mail never showed up... Then, maybe we can just learn to use our powers for good. You know, like superheroes fighting crime and stuff! Wouldn't that suit the same purpose? Anyway... I think I better get going. Morning is the best time for taking atmospheric pictures."

She took her plate and went to one of the side counters, wrapping film around the half-eaten burrito and tucking it into her travel bag. Terry gingerly placed the plate into the sink and before she made her move to leave, quickly stopped by beside Bel.

"Thanks for the meal, Bel. Sorry, I couldn't finish it right now... But I'll be back for dinner. Save my pudding for me!"
For once, Terry was thankful for the face-mask that covered most of her expression. Before she could get any response back, Terry had already turned and hurried towards the door. She waved at all the newcomers once more, before looking back at Ashton one last time.

"I'll talk to you later, Ashton. Remember to show me the dog!"

And just like that, Terry was gone.

In truth, she had already seen the red envelope tucked inside her travel bag this morning. A grim reminder of what they must do. She wanted to ignore it for a while, pretend it was a normal day. But it seems everything just wants to make sure she can't forget. As Terry walked down the hall, she reached into the side pocket where it was hidden. She plucked the wax seal with a cautious flick, pulling out the folded paper with a cold look. She held the notice with the same levity as one would with a MRI result. She had a lot of familiarity with those. But even given all her experience, it never felt any different. A while life was congealed into the ink on such a paper. The sinking feeling was just easier to swallow now.

Terry took one look at the name as she walked out the lobby spiral doors to the open blue sky. She stood out there for a moment, surrounding by the smoldering mist of the sun. Just when she thought things couldn't have gotten any worse. Terry was glad to be alone right now. She wouldn't able to pretend to keep up her normal act in the face of her target.

Her eyes began to burn. And it wasn't from the usual allergies either.
Pulling her hood over, Terry kept her face pointed low and made way towards the nearby road. Looks like she will have more than one reason to be visiting The Pit today. She couldn't tell whether it was the result of an allergic reaction in the air, or the rapidly ramping heat, but her stomach felt like it was an active volcano swirling with pyroclastic juices ready to burst. Clutching her gut, Terry quickly twisted open a little bottle of antacid mix and took a full swig of it. Really, what a sight. To see a young woman dealing with indigestion in such a precaution as an elderly on dietery probation. Wiping her mouth, the stippled marks of her chin from the grimace described enough of her opinion of the flavor.

Yuck. Cherries.

It was beginning to already develop into quite a troublesome day.

Last edited:
JINNI JINNI teen_angst teen_angst Euclid Leaf Euclid Leaf
Ashton Cross.jpg
Ashton "Ash" Cross
Ashton's head snapped in Terry's direction, omelette spilling from between his lips and his mouth stupidly half-open. There's no way you said yes to the "Can you handle spicy food?" question. He thought to himself. As far as he knew, she was under dietary restrictions anyway. That, paired with her pained reaction as soon as he mentioned the envelopes had his mind racing for a comforting response to give, a distraction from whatever bothered her so. It definitely wasn't in the words she spoke. Not in the super heroes or the getting going. As much as he agreed, not cutting your past cleanly off after becoming branded would kill one from guilt. How many innocents had they killed between them? One was too many, there wasn't much coming back from that.

When she turned to wave and say goodbyes Ashton managed to smile back with cheeks swelling with burritos. "Hey, yeah! Take care!" but the tapping of his fork against the table gave his nervosity away. Not to mention he'd completely forgotten to greet the new wave of hungry branded. Dea came in, energetically enthusiastic like she always was. Ashton was surprised to find she could be like this. Her first misadventure down at the church she originated from cemented her as one of the worst of them already, but in reality, it wasn't even her was it? It was all Medea. A convenient alter ego to suppress the terrors of what you've caused.

Ashton's tapping against the table stopped. He too, had not cut cleanly enough. Just purge that feeling. Live now.

"Mornin', Dea. If you're in any luck, maybe you can take the day off then!" The red crumpled letter on the table felt like it burned holes in his periphery, so he swiped it and let it disappear into a pocket once more. I'll leave Terry alone about it, anyway. He thought, then with the wrong end of his fork he pointed to the appetizing buffet for Dea. "The burritos are good, go grab some!"

N... N... No, not there... Hm. Still stuffing his face with his off hand, Ashton scrolled through his list of contacts. He was searching for Nines' number, but had no such luck. It wasn't especially surprising, what with how much time he spent doing acrobatic stunts in loose clothing over water. By this point he was probably bankrolling several smaller cellphone shops. There was a thing he'd been craving to ask him for a while now though. Someone ought to be able to get a hold of him. Fingers beating idly against the table, he Idly sent off a quick message to William instead: "Yooo, any idea where I can get a hold of Nines??"

He turned his head to look straight towards Dea. "Hey, sudden question, ya ever get the feeling you really should've done something a long long time ago?" Once more, and this time for good, his tapping stopped. "And I'm not saying, y'know, like you forgot something. More like... you kept from doing something for a good reason but it kept building consequences that were worse?" Was he rambling? Not quite sure anymore.

"For Len, huh? He would've really appreciated it. You'd have to talk to Tony about planting them on the grave, but there's no telling where he is. Maybe Bel will like them in the kitchen. Might as well ask, right?" Will waited for Jonah to completely enter the Hotel, then let the door slowly close behind them. As he did, his phone buzzed, then buzzed again. He slid the phone out of his jacket pocket, almost instinctively, his gaze immediately drifting down to it, away from Jonah. "I'll meet you in the Kitchen, I gotta answer this real quick. Also, great job with the flowers."

He unlocked his phone with a complicated slide password followed by his thumbprint, before further verifying with a PIN. An army of notifications lined the top third of his screen, demanding his attention, but he simply swiped them away until he found his text messages.

The first message was from Nines- it was a soup emoji, followed by a sailboat. He was at the docks getting food, obviously. What else would that mean?

The second message was from Ashton, looking for Nines. Huh.

William leaned against the wall as he considered his options. Ashton either tried to get in touch with Nines and he didn't pick up, which would be a bit strange, since Nines just texted Will- or Ashton didn't have his number in the first place. A bit more plausible, but that put William in an awkward position. Should he give Nines' number to Ashton? Or Should he just tell Ashton Nines is at the docks? If Nines hadn't given his number to Ashton, is it because he doesn't want Ashton to have his number? If he doesn't want Ashton to have his number, surely that means he wouldn't want him to have his location. Probably. Unless..

William stood there, right thumb poised over the keyboard, stewing over the potential options, as if running simulations in his head about the best approach. The background noise became a distant buzzing as he got lost in the options.

He was definitely overthinking this.

It's not like you could blame him, though. Subtleties like this were the backbone of his career. On Flair, even the spacing between the words on his post could be taken as some hidden meaning. Though, that was probably his fault, since he did hint towards a new launch with that specific technique, at one point. Still.

He eventually forced himself to send out texts, deciding it probably wasn't very important anyway, even if he made the worst possible choice.

In the end, he sent Ashton: "Nines is out rn, he'll be back by tonight probably."

Then he sent Nines: "otw. ashton (water boy) wants 2 talk 2 you. digits 1-47-17325."

William looked back up to tell Jonah he was headed off rather than going to the Kitchen, only to see an empty hallway. He shrugged, figuring that Jonah would understand. It couldn't be helped, after all.

It was hot. Really hot. Halfway there, Will had taken off his jacket, simply slinging it over one shoulder instead- partially obscuring the bag that carried his warbrand.

Now, he was wandering about the docks, looking for the telltale presence of Nines. It wasn't like a spiritual thing, or some sort of aura or anything, but Nines certainly had a presence about him. It was hard to describe, really, and maybe wasn't even anything, so William had never bothered to bring it up. Using some basic deductive thinking skills, Will eventually caught sight of Nines, before strolling up to meet him.

"Have you gotten your mail yet?" He asked. A simple question, absolutely innocent to any onlooker, but they both knew what it meant.

TheLoneRook TheLoneRook Meredith Meredith Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze

Nines took a sick and twisted pleasure in chili fries. He was in excellent shape, and there was absolutely no real major issue with him eating them, but decades of ingrained teachings had branded into him the notion that decadent greasy food was below his status, and his indulgence was just another way he could ignore those teachings and spit in the face of their creators.

He was already almost finished when he heard Will on approach and flung the final pile of molten goodness down before tossing the remainder into the nearest trashcan and tugging on his helmet. Will had seen his face and he wasn't really on edge about him catching a glance, but he always managed to draw a crowd, and Nines wasn't much for publicity. He nodded at the question and crossed his arms, leaning onto the railing of the pier as the waves sprinkled against his back.

"Dante. I don't think he'll want to though, so it's probably golems for me by the weekend." he mused, tutting his head over to Will. Will's expression was surprisingly carefree, considering the talk of their unified curse was typically his least favorite conversation piece. Something between carefully practiced confidence and pure unbridled bravado that somehow came off as "ditzy but in a charming way". He must still be waiting on his, or pleased with its result. He figured prying wasn't the correct maneuver. Will always managed to give cryptic answers to even mundane questions.

"Death showed up today, out of nowhere." he struck the point like it was target practice. Quickly, no fuss, no mess. Clean hit.

"He said he was here on business."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back