Advice/Help Wanting To Love Roleplaying Again

Moonshadow

Roaming The Universe and Stars
So hi, I think I’m fighting against myself at this point. I believe I’m falling out of roleplay and I have no clue why. I was fine and was able to join a successful group roleplay until after a while I realized I felt nothing when I posted. I felt nothing when I plotted or interacted with characters like I always had. And I tried to join several roleplays in order to feel something again. But every time I realized I was just catering to another instead of both.

So I quit for a while, it was probably the right thing to do considering I was going into college and had other responsibilities to cater to. But, I realized this was the point where I find out what I love doing. Where I start pursing my dream and careers for a long happy life. But I fell out of writing too. I tried but I’m never able to finish a chapter even.

For reference I have been writing and roleplaying for 7 years. And never once have I felt the way I do now.

And recently, I have felt something for roleplay. A deep ache for it to feel like it did before, but I’m afraid I’ll get peoples hopes up if I join and I’ll even get my own hopes up if I feel nothing. I’m not sure what to do. Should I just stop and finally put in the towel to roleplaying? Or idk do exercises to love roleplaying again? Has anyone else felt like this?

Try writing exercises, or read a couple of books ... maybe get into a fandom.
I've seen a lot of people that have experienced the same thing and I have as well.
I honestly think the best advice is to watch a couple of shows or just get into a fandom and create something from that.
Like, K-12 got me back into roleplaying.
Writing exercises are effective and maybe writing a wattpad book will help.

The main times I've ever felt like that to such an extent was when my depression and anxiety peaked. Suddenly the things I had enjoyed doing no longer gave me joy and every sentence I managed to get down felt like a chore. It might not be the case for you, but it may be worth some self-examination to see if there are other things you used to love that suddenly no longer appeal to you. That can be a very obvious symptom and may warrant further investigation if you do feel that's applicable.

If not, things are a fair bit easier to sort out. There are times when I feel a little more listless in my writing (never to the extent you've described unless my mental health is bad, but enough that writing doesn't come so easily) and I've always found that reading books which inspire me really helps drag me out of a writing funk. Watching shows with an engaging plot or really anything with interesting characters also helps reinvigorate the writing process. Sometimes even really good music albums will provide a spark of inspiration that I can leap from.

Falling in love with your own characters is also majorly helpful. Making/choosing one and doing writing exercises to explore their past or some other interesting element about them can help. Much of what drives me in my replies is the fact that my characters feel very real in my head... as though they exist and I'm simply penning out their story for them. It keeps me motivated to write and the fact that I know them so well and that they feel so very real makes it easier to write for them as well because they have a clear narrative voice.

I don't think you ever need to decide to quit rp forever. If you're starting to feel the vibe again, maybe try a 1x1 with someone who won't mind too much if you want to leave or switch things up a bit until they feel right. Otherwise just give it time, and take care of yourself.

Been rping on and off for 10 years. I usually come look for sites out of the blue. If you actually want to continue rping, you'll be back after a break.

For me, real life is the biggest rp killer and the main reason I'n unable to continue roleplays.
You said you have a lot going on right now, starting college, pursuing your dream job and such.
This actually might be one of the reasons you don't feel compelled enough to rp.

Maybe try 1x1, they're easier to follow than groups and if you stumble on a good rp partner it can fuel your interest and help you to get the same feeling from roleplays that you used to have.

The only "exercise" is to rp again. Lol
Even if you start and have to quit, so what. You can try again. If you try and feel it's not what you want, can take another break and try again later if you still feel the urge to rp.

It took me about 3 years to get back into rp after a break. I wanted to write but the will kept dying out and then appeared again later on. Then I just... accidentally found a good rp partner, that's all that was needed to reignite my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back