Advice/Help Want to make a good post

Leo Radomir

Seven Thousand Club
"I see everything!" the Sterling Blue user in Chaos Drive said. He fire another volley of miasma explosive arrows, his next arrow was a singular one that seemed to be going for his comrade who he had told to get away but the arrow went just over the Archer's shoulder opening a portal which sucked him and closed, right after kunai knives and flames scorched and stabbed the spot where the Sterling Green user just was.

Meanwhile the Sterling Blue Archer lined himself up directly linear with the charging Ox King which placed her between him and the fox fire

My last couple of posts have been ok but i find my self with writer's block but don't want to hold up the rp

"I see everything!" the Sterling Blue user in Chaos Drive said. He fire another volley of miasma explosive arrows, his next arrow was a singular one that seemed to be going for his comrade who he had told to get away but the arrow went just over the Archer's shoulder opening a portal which sucked him and closed, right after kunai knives and flames scorched and stabbed the spot where the Sterling Green user just was.

Meanwhile the Sterling Blue Archer lined himself up directly linear with the charging Ox King which placed her between him and the fox fire

My last couple of posts have been ok but i find my self with writer's block but don't want to hold up the rp

If you have 'writer's block,' or difficulty coming up with a post, there are many ways to remedy this depending on your symptoms.

1. If you're bored with the roleplay, and you lack the motivation to post, you should consider telling your partner/GM that you need to take a break.
2. If you want to add more to your post, consider the five w's and one h, or who, what, where, when, why, and how. If you answer all those questions, you should get an idea for how to write your post, or how to add additional details/information.
3. If your group/partner lets you use side characters, consider making side characters or NPCs. They will help fill in the gap, and they may offer new prompts for your posts/main character.

Those are some ideas, but unless I know your reasons for writer's block, I can't offer anything specific.

If you have 'writer's block,' or difficulty coming up with a post, there are many ways to remedy this depending on your symptoms.

1. If you're bored with the roleplay, and you lack the motivation to post, you should consider telling your partner/GM that you need to take a break.
2. If you want to add more to your post, consider the five w's and one h, or who, what, where, when, why, and how. If you answer all those questions, you should get an idea for how to write your post, or how to add additional details/information.
3. If your group/partner lets you use side characters, consider making side characters or NPCs. They will help fill in the gap, and they may offer new prompts for your posts/main character.

Those are some ideas, but unless I know your reasons for writer's block, I can't offer anything specific.

I see that does help a little but i'm thinking of useing the clones since my char has that as one of his ability's then run back round to my king so i can't be separated, but that doesn't seem to offer much of a post.

I see that does help a little but i'm thinking of useing the clones since my char has that as one of his ability's then run back round to my king so i can't be separated, but that doesn't seem to offer much of a post.

I have no idea what the roleplay's about, so I can't help you with that. Honestly, I would just focus on developing the setting, character, and scene. You can try adding abilities too. Anything that grabs at you, or makes you want to write is also a good idea to add to your post.

I have no idea what the roleplay's about, so I can't help you with that. Honestly, I would just focus on developing the setting, character, and scene. You can try adding abilities too. Anything that grabs at you, or makes you want to write is also a good idea to add to your post.

Ah my bad i was so focused on the post part but i forgot to tell you it's high school dxd au

Ah my bad i was so focused on the post part but i forgot to tell you it's high school dxd au

Oh. I've no specific knowledge on highschool DxD. I watched the anime a long time ago. As my prior post states, I would write what makes you feel complete in your post. If it's using that ability, then go for it. Maybe add a little flair to the ability, if you want to add additional length to your post? You can also try engaging the scenario in subtle ways too.

Just read a couple of books, I'd say. A year and a half, and the writing, top-notch it would be, will come naturally.

Just read a couple of books, I'd say. A year and a half, and the writing, top-notch it would be, will come naturally.
You.

But in all seriousness, read as many books as you possibly can. It does, in fact, help improve writing skills.

Real books, though. Not manga.

only read manga and comics for dialouge inspiration i'd say, i admit i do look through some of the older dc comics i own and realize why some od my characters speak the way they do.
but yeah, as everyone said, your best bet is to read, try reading some of the works from the 1800s, it's nice to build some vocabulary for the characters, and to improve on your writing!

You.

But in all seriousness, read as many books as you possibly can. It does, in fact, help improve writing skills.

Real books, though. Not manga.
Books can be a good reference point for ideas on how to convey a certain idea, but nothing beats good ol fashioned practice.

Books can be a good reference point for ideas on how to convey a certain idea, but nothing beats good ol fashioned practice.
Not... not as a reference point. Reading trains your brain. The more you read, the more you understand cliche's, pacing, wordplay, etc, without knowing you're doing it. All the good authors recommend it. All of them. It's like building muscle memory.

Not... not as a reference point. Reading trains your brain. The more you read, the more you understand cliche's, pacing, wordplay, etc, without knowing you're doing it. All the good authors recommend it. All of them. It's like building muscle memory.
At this point they do it because everyone and their mother has said it since the beginning of time. I've read plenty because I was forced to do so. It didn't make me any closer to being tolkien, Richard a knaack or shakeshere.

Just like watching basketball doesn't bring me any closer to be stephen curry. You have to actually practice writing, to get good at writing. You have to self reflect, and investigate things with an open mind. Reading alone doesn't do you any good.

At this point they do it because everyone and their mother has said it since the beginning of time. I've read plenty because I was forced to do so. It didn't make me any closer to being tolkien, Richard a knaack or shakeshere.

Just like watching basketball doesn't bring me any closer to be stephen curry. You have to actually practice writing, to get good at writing. You have to self reflect, and investigate things with an open mind. Reading alone doesn't do you any good.

Juggling a ball with fleet feet is a hell lotta different from knowing where to place what word. A hell lotta difference.

Considering I've been nationally published, I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. But go ahead and ignore all the good advice from the people who actually do it for a living. You sure know better.

As it stands, yes, you are supposed to write every day. But ignoring the other half and discounting what I've said is pretty... well. I'll leave it at well.

Considering I've been nationally published, I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. But go ahead and ignore all the good advice from the people who actually do it for a living. You sure know better.

As it stands, yes, you are supposed to write every day. But ignoring the other half and discounting what I've said is pretty... well. I'll leave it at well.
You certainly think highly of yourself. A wise man once told me even experts not to trust anyone just because of their credentials. Even scholars with phd's can pump out garbage. As they are not substitutes for actual substance.

I'm not ignoring anything. As I said already, you can read everyday, but you're not going to magically learn anything if you're just reading. You who claim to say that I will learn what a cliche is, just by reading a lot are not also taking into account that someone had to put the idea of a cliche into your head, so that you could recognize the cliche. Writing is an art form and takes a lot more than simply reading a lot. You can write a lot and get nothing done. You can also read a lot and get nothing done.

But go ahead and block me. Everyone who sees this post will know you ran and away and hid after claiming to be a professional writer.

Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy I think your misinterpreting the point of the advice to read. No one is literally saying that all you have to do is read and magically you'll become a better writer. Reading is just one step in the process - and for a lot of people it's the first step. Because how can you improve without having an ideal to strive for? You can't practice without first understanding where you're weaknesses are and have some idea of how to fix them. And you can't figure out how to fix writing with out some degree of reading.

Now whether you necessarily have to read books to do that is certainly debatable, everyone learns by different means. If you learn better without reading books than kudos to you.

I think the reason books are referenced the most is because their format provides the easiest visual for what most roleplayers are attempting to emulate. Paragraph style roleplaying is called novella roleplaying for a reason - it's "written like you would write a book". So therefore reading books to get better at roleplaying is just following that logic. If you're roleplaying by mimicking the style of books than it would make sense that reading more books would help you in that goal.

Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy I think your misinterpreting the point of the advice to read. No one is literally saying that all you have to do is read and magically you'll become a better writer. Reading is just one step in the process - and for a lot of people it's the first step. Because how can you improve without having an ideal to strive for? You can't practice without first understanding where you're weaknesses are and have some idea of how to fix them. And you can't figure out how to fix writing with out some degree of reading.

Now whether you necessarily have to read books to do that is certainly debatable, everyone learns by different means. If you learn better without reading books than kudos to you.

I think the reason books are referenced the most is because their format provides the easiest visual for what most roleplayers are attempting to emulate. Paragraph style roleplaying is called novella roleplaying for a reason - it's "written like you would write a book". So therefore reading books to get better at roleplaying is just following that logic. If you're roleplaying by mimicking the style of books than it would make sense that reading more books would help you in that goal.
All I'll add is that was 10 years ago, since then I haven't read a fictional novel and completely forgot what techniques those guys used without looking over them. Unfortunately, my previous attempts at emulation were all failures, because I had none of the development to actually perform like they do. And still don't as I am not a self proclaimed writer and nothing more than a daydreamer looking for an outlet. That's my point, reading alone doesn't do that, nor does it actually lay the foundation up for anything useful by itself. Even as a starter point, you either need the self awareness to process the writing beyond what's written, or a guiding hand to show you what to look for. Otherwise it's just a bunch of words strung together that needs to be plowed through.

All I'll add is that was 10 years ago, since then I haven't read a fictional novel and completely forgot what techniques those guys used without looking over them. Unfortunately, my previous attempts at emulation were all failures, because I had none of the development to actually perform like they do. And still don't as I am not a self proclaimed writer and nothing more than a daydreamer looking for an outlet. That's my point, reading alone doesn't do that, nor does it actually lay the foundation up for anything useful by itself. Even as a starter point, you either need the self awareness to process the writing beyond what's written, or a guiding hand to show you what to look for. Otherwise it's just a bunch of words strung together that needs to be plowed through.

Forgive me I wasn't clear before what I was attempting to illustrate was how reading actually leads to better responses as a lot of times people give the advice of - read more books - without giving practical advice beyond that.

But I was not attempting to invalidate your idea that not everyone learns the same way. If your process was more hands on that's fine and it's a valid bit of advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back