Other Video Game Design

Lux___Wolf

Ends of Eternity
If there's a thread like this, I'm sorry! Any of you game designers? Have you made games before or are in the process of making one? Have you sold one?

• Discuss here, what is great design?
  • Ask/reply here, help with skills!
  • Trade, hire artists/coders/writers and credit their names in your games and on your website. Collaborate!
  • Suggest, don't want to design but want to give input and ideas anyway?

I'm Lux___Wolf. I like games but also game design. The difference to me is this: my friend and I play Mario Maker. He detests it with such a passion, for all its simplistic chaos but he keeps replaying because he's addicted to evolving control. Different enemies, different strategies. He hates the whole "concept", I love each function and complication that the designers played with and put in the games that became world famous. I geek that Pokémon Crystal is the first version that introduced the female gender as an option. Breath of the Wild on Switch?? Don't get me started! Easier than Skyrim but not any less stressful! But the designer in me admires the original Zelda's minimalist mythic gameplay. ;)

Smash Brothers! (Kirby ftw)
Final Fantasy series, node system!

And not just video games, also card and board games. Magic the Gathering, with key mechanics and mana specialization? Even their players love to design their own deck of spells. That's why it works.

Thoughts?

I've thought about trying my hand at video game writing because it could be fun.
You could write short stories as the background for each character, and attach them all to an overlying plot in some way.
It'd be fun, but pretty challenging. Especially for an open world, where you need to create a unique reason to fetch fifteen rabbit ears.
Creating a whole universe would be even more fun, though. Especially in an FPS, where you don't need to come up with all the details right away. You can just leave a rabbit trail of clues as to what kind of universe the player is even in, and then tell them in a later game, after thinking up better ideas.

Just in case you guys would be interested, Extra Credits is a fantastic youtube channel about all things game design. They have a little bit of everything - animation, storytelling, mechanics building, genre breakdowns, innovation, gaming and education, advice on design school and getting into the industry, to name but a few topics.

What I love about games is the concept art behind it. Stuff like rough landscape sketches and photobashing to character designs is pretty cool. Still in the process of working my way towards concept artist-level art.

I've looked through concept art books, like Hyrule Historia or Final Fantasy XV (15) so I am familiar! That would be seriously useful of a skill to have!

That's definitely my area of interest. I did a lot of research on it. One day I'll found my own game studio, mind my words lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back