Opinion Venting like an AC unit

SP3CT3R

seven foot frame, rats along his back
This thread is unlikely to help my situation very much, but I feel like people with little influence over the matter seeing my problem is better than nobody seeing it at all.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is technically considered a form of high-functioning autism. Because of it, my brain is wired in a way that allows me to grasp large concepts with ease, but struggles with more factual information, such as due dates and statistics. The problem is that the positive aspects of this disorder were far more obvious than everything else up until, say, middle school.
Anyways, in elementary school, I was one of the "gifted" children, always put in the rudimentary advanced placement system whenever possible, leading to high expectations from my parents. However, as the curriculum changed to focus more on the process than the results, my shortcomings became apparent, like a lack of organization and attention span problems.
Naturally, I started to struggle in some departments by middle school. I forgot to turn in work, I couldn't take notes, and I always spaced out in class. My parents refused to lower the bar to accommodate, and still haven't to this day. They get pissed if I score below a 90 on any assignment, and will berate me about it for weeks on end. However, most of the "bad" grades I get are the result of something out of my control, and I usually can figure out what I did wrong in an instant if it's a mistake that I can prevent myself from making. That means that their nagging really accomplishes little other than making me feel like a failure.
This constant stream of criticism has culminated in me being too afraid of failure to do anything new, and I have zero hobbies and basically look at the internet all day long because I can't even look at anything I create unless it's immune to criticism. My parents, however, think that I'm just lazy, and are now threatening to cut off my access to the internet. Between that and my crippling fear of criticism, I'm afraid that I'll just waste away, but if I try to explain everything I just wrote to them, they take advantage of my inability to explain things to others to dismiss my argument.

Again, this isn't going to help my situation very much, since I have no way of knowing who on this forum is qualified to give me advice, but bottling it up won't end well for me.

If you have been diagnosed with Aspergers then your parents should take note that this condition has its disadvantages.

Okay, I've began opening up about this using some of the staff at the school I attend as a third party, and it's starting to seem more like the result of my own expectations rather than my parents.

Hope you're able to open up to everybody and make it so that your parents will understand. Hang in there man

To the OP-
I suffer from the same affliction, hence why I hang out on sites such as these and I do rp, and all kinds of things in the furry space.
I have gone through a really epic journey with it, and you're welcome to ask for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back