• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Varris' Academy for the gifted

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Bakuyoshi

The lord of shipping
You have been selected to be a student of one of the most prestigious academies known to any form of adventurer. Varris' academy for adventuring. Many legendary heroes owe their fame to this school. But if you are looking for a normal school teaching magic and the like, turn back. This is an academy that will not hold your hand. The tests are dangerous. And extra curricular activities are certainly different then most schools.

You wanted this school. Now you must work your way to the top. With a weapon in one hand and the other holding magic or a shield.

(No IC posts until CSes are made)

It was yet another day that Kuruki had awoken with what felt like sailor's knots in her stomach. For so many days, she had been anticipating arriving into the gates of Varris Academy, to embrace its competitive and motivating nature and dedicate herself once more to excelling her Level 1.
Her uncle had taken her in for her "best interest", and it was in his abode that she stayed, but see him? She did not. To her he was merely a stranger, who seemed to supply everything she had need of in the way of stickynotes left about the house, telling her where everything might be. The morning had strayed quickly, so Kuruki quickly gathered her things, and left without so much as a word of "have a nice day!" or "see you later."
"oh...g-god," she fumbled over her words, her fringe stinging her eyes as she staggered her way, "what if I don't make it?" It was rather fortunate that she had accidentally scratched the skin near to her collarbone from sheer nervousness, for she attempted to enhance the words of her Healing spell: "Arr....tyne...coh......." She viciously swished her tail side to side, desperately trying to conjure the words she had revised the night before.
Timely, the front gates were in site. The Academy's looming presence had noticed her, it called her, to perfection. She stopped as raised voices caught her attention, but she could not fathom their origins....

Last edited:
At Varis high school, everything is as usual before the term starts, when suddenly a giant bird of fire streaked across the sky. Off of it fell what appeared to be a giant ember. On closer inspection however, it was a girl who clearly was not happy with her situation. "Mother! I can't fly yet!" She shouted, frantically, the teen tried to slow her fall with her wings stretching out from her back. "Dammit Diana, fly!" she said aloud. When half way to the ground, she finally managed to turn the fall into a glide. She sighed in relief just before crashing into a cat who unfortunately found its way in her path. Onlookers would see a small cloud of dirt and dust. In the middle of the tiny fracture in the ground Diana slowly got up and dusted herself off.

As she stood up, the familiar telepathic voice of the Pheonix spoke in her head "Have fun at school." She scowled before composing herself and sweetly responding "Thanks Mother." (again telepathicly) Sure hers wasn't a great landing, but Diana is fully aware she needs to be greatful that the Pheonix took the time to bring her to school. As Diana took in her surroundings she realized why her landing was softer and why she wasn't as dirty as one would expect from hitting the ground with that speed. She hit a neko. Slightly flustered, she quickly apologised. "Sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. Is everything alright? I know that wasn't the most ideal landing spot" she smiled trying to add a bit of levity.

Kuruki had nearly all the breath taken out of her, she had not expected to be swept of her feet by what seemed a great figure of light and speed. She sat up, and beheld what she recognised as a winged creature, of human form, standing radiantly above her and smiling at her in some apology. "N-not to worry" She stuttered, attempting to gather her things cast on the ground, even her beanie had been knocked flying!
"there is room for improvement I suppose!" she chuffed, as she continued to sit cross legged on the ground, re-assembling her matt of hair beneath her beloved cap. Her ears were pricked, who knows what...or who....could bound into her in such fashion again? Kuruki couldn't help but look in astonishment at the figure who towered above her, her wings most striking, to which she felt quite overshadowed.

Diana rubs her hand behind her head "Heheh. Yeah sorry again, my mother isn't really a people person. Based on the context you're giving me, I imagine my entry is not the normal method of ariving at an academy. She may have misinterpreted 'dropping kids off at academy'" She held out her hand for the neko to shake or use as leverage to get back up. "My name's Diana by the way."

Kuruki nervously takes Diana's hand and uses it to regain her balance, pushing herself off the floor. She was most definitely smaller in stature, and nearly fell backwards from sheer bewilderment, this was the first of introductions, and she felt unsure, "I am Kuruki". She shook Diana's hand to her relief a smile broke out from the pale contours of her skin, Kuruki chuckled, "I heard raised voices, but honestly I'm thankful you stopped me. Sheer reluctance on my part!!" She fidgeted anxiously with her long locks of hair, quickly realising her fringe was brushed aside and the opposing colour of her blue eye was on display for all to see. "Oh! Uhm..." She hastily recovered its position and clasped her notepad, "I-uhh..."

Diana chuckled "I'm usually far more composed. As embarassing as it may sound, I haven't quite learned to fly yet. All I can really manage is... well that: gliding" She says refering back to her crash.

Diana took note of her nervousness about the neko's blue eye. Truth be told, Diana hadn't realized her eyes were different colors until Kuruki tried to hide it. Diana looked perplexed. To avoid drawing attention the cat would probably want to avoid, she asked softly. "Forgive the question, but why cover your eye? Doesn't that impair your vision at all?" Diana added the second part in an attempt to make the question less direct and personal.

Kuruki straightened her shoulders, and to her surprise she didn't haste in her reply, "well.....you could say that's the reason I couldn't see you ahah..." She noticed how awkward she must seem, and looked straight into Diana's face, "personally....I wouldn't want to let people see...."
Kuruki whisked around in a sudden fashion, as if to check the Academy was still there, to welcome them, "sh-shouldnt we be leaving? I'm sure we don't want to be late......"
She immediately turned to dash forward, but stopped to remark, "and....I think your gliding wasn't bad in the least....from what I could fathom, and the speed in which you collided with me." Kuruki gave a warm smile with a little nod, before she turned again and made her steps forward once more.

Diana shruged before smiling at Kuruki's joke. Diana supposed she could always find out details later. There's no need in making someone more stressed on the first day after all. However she'd be sure to remember the question for later. "No worries." Diana said "and thanks."

When Kuruki started running, Diana ran to catch up to her. "Wait, we don't know where we're going." She said. "Let's see" she continued taking out a piece of parchment with a schedule on it. "According to this, we're supposed to go to..." Diana started when suddenly the schedule ignited and burned to ash. Diana sighed. "Why did I expect anything else." She sighed, interupting herself. "Anyway, from what I saw before I unintentionally destroyed it, the schedule said to go to the... lunch room." she continued, slightly annoyed. However, being raised by a literal Pheonix, Diana had no idea what lunch was, much less a lunch room. "Why don't you lead the way, Kuruki." She said before following the neko into the academy

A pair of feet stopped short right after entering the gates of the famous Varris' Academy. She heard many stories about the great exploits of the adventurers that left this place, and certainly enough rumors to grant even more legends to this, but finally being able to stand inside the compound of the area, Ally certainly had other opinions of this place.

It doesn't look that impressive.

Murmured by her thoughts to herself, her black pupils fell onto the students coming into the place, looking for some sort of affirmation to her thoughts. And from just her observation, she could guess she was half right about it. The front of the Varris' Academy isn't filled with statues, or intricate fountains, or ancient looking marble sculptures. Rather, it's just a plain old cobblestone and gravel road leading straight to the entrance of a brick and mortar building that is guarded by two 6 feet tall simple pillars. The age of the pillars, as well as the amount of dents and bruises it had from students or weapons was the only signs it has to prove its age and authenticity. Nothing glamorous besides those actually stood out.

She was nearly into the halls when a crash could be heard behind her. Turning to her back, she glanced towards the direction of the noise, which has now formed a small little dust cloud, as well as it seemed to be an accident of sort. It piqued her interest for a moment, as she moved herself away from the center of the entrance, trying to give way for the others that seemed to be not interested, and gracefully glided herself to the side of the right pillar.

Oh, I do have forgoten that this academy accepts other folks than human too.

With the academy in his line of sight, Victor unmounts himself from his white stallion and signals his butler to take his horse back to his manor. "Here Horace, please make sure she returns home safely. I'd be devistated if anything happened to her." He says to his butler, petting the stallion as Victor looks upon the school once more before Horace grabs onto his sleeve.

"Make sure you behave this time around Victor, don't want your father getting another expulsion scroll... Especially from an academy this prestigious." Horace says to Victor with a serious tone in his voice.

"Yeah, I get it... Let's just hope I last long enough to tell my father of the tales I'll encounter in this academy." Victor says solemnly to Horace, shaking his hand before checking his belongings. With his glaive on his back, and his long sword sheathed on his side, Victor sets off towards the academy with confidence across his face.

Horace gives a slight bow to Victor as he begins walking his stallion back to their manor, leaving Victor to admire the path ahead. While making his way towards the academy, a strange idea pops into Victor's mind as he looks down at his feet.

"Ugh, traveling by foot is such a bore... Hmm, maybe if I can channel this power to my feet, it will propel me closer to my destination!" Victor says with sudden enthusiasm, going into a preparation pose before attempting to channel his electric power to his feet.

After much anticipation, Victor feels said power flowing in his legs as he attempts to lunge forward with sheer determination. A loud bang can be heard behind Victor as a giant spark of electricity discharges from below his feet, propelling him upward with great speed as he flies aimlessly towards the academy. Screaming in fear as he suddenly begins dropping in altitude, and landing face first onto the solid ground with great force. A giant wave of pain washes over Victor's body as his blurry vision recovers shortly after, and notices the front steps of the academy right in front of him.

"Damn it all... Let's just hope this school is as good as people say it is..." Victor mumbles as he plops his face into the ground in embarrassment, then musters up the courage to regain his composure, and makes his way towards the entrance of the academy.

Last edited:
It was a surprisingly normal day up until Mr. Drinnis was interrupted by two loud sounds from outside. And given he was the one to greet the kids, it fell to him to see what was going on.

"Leave the dark elf out in the light where he is partially blind. Good thing old Varris made these." Drinnis said as he put on some unknown form of eye protection, walking out revealed to the dark elf a human man who must've tried some crazy magic crap. He went through his head as he tried to remember this kid and who he was, then it hit him.

"Hello Victor Stalingrad it is good to see your showing off already. Makes it interesting. If I would be so bold I shall introduce myself as Drinnis. You'll probably be calling me professor Drinnis or some weird crap like that. Welcome to the place that'll turn you from a cream puff to an adventurer that may get famous, key word being may." Drinnis says with a smirk on his face. He loved giving the new kids crap. It gave them some form of motivation to try and be worth some salt.
"Now I wonder for what reason a human noble would be interested in being an adventurer. Don't you guys have it all?"

Legostrife Legostrife

Not too soon after she glided herself to the pillar, a man came crashing down the sky just a few feet away to her right. Both surprised and shocked, Ally released a small yelp as she skipped further backwards, her back now gluing itself to the right pillar, her legs continued to do a few pushes before they realise that she could go back no further. She wasn't sure what to do for a few moments looking at the scene of the man face planting near the steps, and didn't quite realise that a dark elf that sported a pair of dark glasses has motioned himself towards the student.

With the combination of the two scenes, its apparent that the commotion on the front of the academy have draws many eyes to it. Older adventurers as well as new students, many have turned their gaze onto the three people involved in the sound making. Some of the less interested ones still have their heads turned towards them, as they continued their pace into the academy. Some stopped and whispered to their companions at their side. And some, just stood around like statues, staring statues.

Once Ally came to her senses, facing the professor that introduced himself, her right arm instinctively grabbed hold on the curvature of the pillar, sliding her body to the right as it pulled, until her was half covered by the right pillar, behind it. Turning her body for a side peek around the right corner of the pillar, she observed the dark elf as well as the human, before peeking through the left corner of the pillar, looking at the girls with wings, and the cat girl.

Legostrife Legostrife Bakuyoshi Bakuyoshi Netherdragon Netherdragon 1 1234

The pair were in discussion as to the timely coincidence of their situation. She had come to realise that she underestimated the extent of the diversity among the students, who would she encounter next? She had in mind to stay around with Diana for a time in her arrival to the academy, she was intrigued to make her further acquaintance, and to learn more about her, and her mother! Curiosity killed the cat Kuruki! She pondered, You are too nosy!
"So..." Kuruki hesitated but intending to keep conversation regular, "I cannot go further without asking, your wings? I have never seen or heard of such features like yours before, they are ..." Kuruki stammered a little, "ablaze!" She didn't want to come across too extravagant in her remark, but she really was intrigued as to the girl's origins. She searched Diana's expression for signs of an answer as the two continued forward.

Last edited:
Diana laughed slightly. "I can't tell if that's a complement or concern. Either way, thank you." she said. Diana was worried about socializing with other species, and supposed it was convienent that this was the person she crashed into if anyone. "You could say they're a gift from my mother. There's only one pair of wings even brighter, hotter, and more beautiful in my eyes: hers." she noted. "As for you... Well you've told me nothing other than you're name. All I can tell is your race, so ironically enough, I'm rather curious about your story."

"Compliment I can assure you...ive never seen anything quite like them. Your mother-" Kuruki recognised that she may have been too forward in straying to comment upon Diana's mother so soon, "she must be truly beautiful."
Kuruki looked down shyly, "I stay with my uncle, not far from here. Although I don't see him..." She quickly looked up and smiled, "I am actually part ghoul, but you would never have guessed!" She soon eased into conversation, and was thankful for her first encounter, as *warm* as it was! "My mother was neko, but my father was a half-eye ghoul." She braced herself for the reply, does Diana already know of ghouls?? Should I have mentioned it?

Last edited:
Diana smiled "Well thank you again. I certainly think mother is beautiful. Unfortunately certain humans tend to think completely otherwise, sometimes even attacking her." She shook her head and sighed "It really seems that sometimes humans can never truly understand certain species."

Diana mused on what Kuruki meant. "Your uncle, is he a human?" Diana frowned "So I suppose you've suffered as well." she added.

"I must say you have an interesting heratige. Your father in particular raises some theories regarding your..." Diana hesitated for a second, trying to figure out how to convey her intentions without letting any potential prying ears hear about the neko's blue eye.

"Your hair. I'd like to talk to you about them later if it's, though I don't mind waiting if you don't want to discuss that right now." She finished, giving Kuruki a certain look which she hoped would allow Kuruki to understand

"You know? It's not everyday you see a Dark Elf wandering in broad daylight... But wasting your precious time on a new student like myself, while unknowingly putting yourself at risk..." Victor says to Drinnis, dawning a cocky smirk as he stands right beside him.

Without warning, Victor sidesteps behind Drinnis, and snatches his glasses from behind. "I may have it all, Dark Elf... But never judge a book by its cover, it'll end up costing you more than you think." Victor says with slight malice, handing the glasses back to Drinnis. Making his way through the crowd, and heading down the main hallway.

Bakuyoshi Bakuyoshi

"I do agree with you...there is such a lot we *should* understand about other species," Kuruki pondered somewhat solemnly. She recognised Diana's careful tredding concerning her uncle and her "hair", though she knew all too well what was being asked, and for once she wasn't in restraint. She inhaled deeply, and allowed her explanation to speak for itself.
"My uncle, is human. He separated himself away from my parents, when my father expose himself for what he was." Kuruki glanced kindly towards Diana, "Ghouls are not thought of in the best of lights, because of their characteristics." She paused for breath as she continued, in summary, "now, I know this may be rather confusing, but my parents...never returned. I was very very young, so I have no recollection of such events, or why, or how, only leaving my home after their disappearance. My uncle was the only relative nearby that had the capacity to take me, so he did. But I can imagine he wouldn't want much to do with the daughter of a ghoul."
She again paused as Diana indulged the information given, nodding as she spoke, "My eye....is the only proof and remembrance I have of my father's origin, and its vulnerability you could say."
Kuruki gave a sigh of relief, she had unravelled everything in front of an actual being, and stranger at that! She smiled, "Thank you. I would like to know more, about your home, at somepoint?" Diana nodded aggreeingly, both quickening their pace, heading through the threshold of the Academy, to the lunch room.

"Oh gods the world has gone white! Why did my mom have to like a dark elf!?" He shouted before realizing the boy had taken his glasses and put them back in his hands. "And it's hard to believe I was like that once. But that maneuver. I think I have a plan for my first class." The dark elf mutters as he went back to the shade. And continued to welcome students all around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The students who had entered where greeted by what could have been mistaken as a ballroom. In fact to a keen observer that's because once upon a time it was a Ballroom. But now it was reworked into a dining hall where the dance floor was there were many tables scattered around with drinks and some food waiting for the students. More staff greeted the students who walked in with a bow almost as though the students were royalty. And at what looked to be stage the students on the stage the students could observe to be other teachers talking among themselves. But the oddity was one of them who was hanging back. At first glance he appeared human but something seemed off. He was trying hard to hide something. Along with the fact he was apart from the rest.

Netherdragon Netherdragon 1 1234 Legostrife Legostrife Allibi Allibi

Last edited:
Diana looked around the room with Kuruki before finding some open seats. She then sat down with the neko and examined the table. She took note of the food and drinks avalible. She ate before her trip to the academy, but Diana supposed she could go for a bit of a bite. She tore off a peice of bread, and dropped it in her throat where it was scorched and shortly after, incinerated. Because of her nature, she didn't necessarily need to drink anything, however she did like the taste of certain warm liquids. "Hey Kuruki, I'll be right back. I just need to ask a teacher for something" she said maintaining her composure the best she could with water practically surrounding her. She briskly walked over to a nearby teacher.

"Excuse me... Um... My body can't handle water well. Do you have something hot I can drink instead? Or... maybe some alchohol?" She asked, feeling bad for being a burden on her first day.

Last edited:
Upon hearing the request the teacher turned around to reveal a High Elf who gave a warm smile. "Well to the Alchohol bit I'd like to avoid that. But uh if you don't mind what options are there for you to drink Miss?" She says in a sweet tone of voice. Almost like a mother talking to her child.

Netherdragon Netherdragon

Diana ponders "Limitations huh? Well I suppose the best way to describe those would be anything that would not put out a fire." She says pointing to her wings. "Thus why I figured alclohol was a good idea if it weren't too much trouble." Diana continues. She pauses for a moment before adding "Oh, and if you're concerned about me getting drunk... well to put it simply, I can't." she chuckles while rubbing the back of her head.

"Oh... Well, just so we are clear just drink responsibly. Drinnis says he couldn't get drunk but he ended up causing a lot of trouble. For the students and Varris." The elf says as she carefully poured a glass of some sort of ale and gave it to Diana. "Oh completely forgot, I'm Irinia. I'm the Hunting and Survival teacher. So Miss I look forward to seeing what you are capable of to get here."

The supposed "ballroom" cafeteria captivated Victor's gaze upon entry, greeting several nearby students that happened to have noticed the situation beforehand. Giving comments like, "Wow, you're a brave one!" Or, "Despite the rough landing, you're quick on your feet!"

Despite the slight praise he was already getting, Victor seems a bit disgruntled about it all. "I didn't come to this academy to hear what I've heard a thousand times over... I want something to surprise me damn it--"

Before any rational thought could enter Victor's mind, an abnormal sight becomes apparent to him. A girl with silver hair, and giant wings engulfed in fire can be seen getting a beverage. With immense curiosity overflowing his vision, Victor attempts to make conversation with this person.

"Uh... Hey there. Forgive me, but I'm new here. Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never seen someone like you before." Victor says to the girl with a slight nervous tone to his voice.

Victor realizes that he may have sounded too arrogant, and attempts to introduce himself to compensate for his forward thinking. "Oh, but where are my manners? The name's Victor Stalingrad, it's a pleasure making your aquantaince." He says, offering to shake her hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back