• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Valley of the Pharaohs: Journey to Egypt

ChefTony

One of the Golden Girls

VALLEY OF THE PHARAOHS: JOURNEY TO EGYPT

LEGEND OF THE SCEPTRE

In 1872 French Archaeologist Thibuad Chambrai discovered a most unique artifact at the Theban Necropolis – a set of papyrus scrolls from the time of Ramses the II. They told the story of the Sceptre of Amun-Ra.

According to the scrolls, long before the time of Ramses, in the reign of King Netjerykhet, a flaming chariot had swept across the sky bringing great fear and terror amongst the people. During its flight, the chariot threw a burning spear down to the earth, causing the ground to shake and clamor. From the earth the priests of Netjerykhet pulled forth a glowing shard. “As bright as Ra it shone, but cold as stone it was to hold.”

The priests took the shard and from it forged a Sceptre which was presented to King Netjerykhet as a symbol of his favor and privilege in the eyes of Ra. With this scepter Netjerykhet was able to perform great feats of wonder and magic; but the Sceptre was also capable of great torment. Said to be provoked by the distemper and dark moods of the King, the Sceptre would set forth plagues, blight and other miseries upon the people of Egypt. The King did not wish these woes upon the land, but the Sceptre seemed to discern his moods and manifest the calamities despite his will. Netjeryhet’s grand vizier Imhotep recognized the Sceptre as a bane to Egypt and convinced the King to rid himself of the talisman. Heeding his vizier’s pleas King Netjeryhet set forth upon the sea, and with weighted stones tossed the Sceptre into the ocean so that none may find it.

And so it was…until the day Ramses II heard word the Hittite Ruler Muwatallis was marching upon the lands of Syria and before him he carried a staff of great power. Although it had been a millennium since Netjeryhet had cast the Sceptre to the bottom of the sea, Ramses and his priests knew immediately the staff for what it was…Netjeryhet’s Sceptre of Amun-Ra. Ramses gathered his armies and marched forth to meet the Hittite King in battle. Slim were the chances of victory, but Ramses was not without a plan. When the battle was at its fiercest and Muwatallis appeared on the verge of victory, Ramses himself rode forth on his chariot and stole the Sceptre from the unprepared Hittite King. With Sceptre in hand the battle was turned and Muwatallis sued for peace. Returning to Egypt triumphant, Ramses immediately held consul with his priests and magi concerning the fate of the Sceptre of Amun-Ra. All agreed that the talisman was too dangerous to wield, yet might, at some distant time, be needed to be called upon to protect the lands.

A decision was made and a colossal chamber was built to intern the Sceptre. Nine Scarabs were crafted to protect the chamber, each consecrated by a sacred deity. These Scarabs, when combined in the proper order, would form nine keys, any one of which could open the sealed chamber and allow one to possess the Sceptre.

Entrusted to the magician-priests of Ramses, the Scarabs were scattered across Egypt. The sacred chamber was buried deep within the Valley of the Pharaohs. Here, the Sceptre of Amun-Ra was meant to remain, protected by the spirit of the great priest Imhotep and hidden from the dark thoughts and ill will of man…or so the ancient priests believed. However, as an ancient Bedouin saying goes, “Since the time of the Pharaohs it has laid buried beneath the sands, hidden within a chamber hewn of solid stone and warded by ancient spell. But the desert sands do not forever hold the secrets of the past and the Sceptre will be found. So it shall be.”

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

It is 1926 and a rumor is being whispered across the land of Egypt: The Sceptre of Amun-Ran has been found in the Valley of the Pharaohs! Long sought by archaeologists and adventurers, the legendary Sceptre is said to be a talisman of great power. Guarded by mystical wards, the Sceptre can only be held by one who posses a sacred Scarab Key. Now that the Sceptre has been found, the race is on to find the Scarabs that form the 9 sacred Scarab Keys.

However, before anyone can begin the hunt for the Sceptre, they must first travel to Egypt. The easiest way to get there? By ship, of course. Cunard Line's RMS Lancastria is beginning a seven-day voyage from New York to Alexandria via Liverpool. You are an adventurer who has secured a ticket aboard the vessel and are now preparing to set sail across the Atlantic to seek the ancient Sceptre. What sort of people and possibly dangers will you encounter? One can only guess...

This is a demo RP set before actually getting to Egypt and searching for the Sceptre. It allows me to hammer out all the kinks in the new class, combat, and exploration systems before we actually get started.

This will be a heavily adventure/exploration based rp using a simplified dice system of my own creation.

CHARACTER SIGN UP https://www.rpnation.com/threads/valley-of-the-pharaohs-journey-to-egypt-character-sign-up.104167/#post-2809137

I'm open to suggestions, so if anyone has any questions or recommendations, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the general attitudes accurately reflective of 1926, or are they "softened" somewhat for players?

@Grey You may be interested.

@Bardiel I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "attitudes". For some reason I'm leaning towards racist "attitudes" of the time, so forgive me if I am completely off the topic here. Both sexist and racist attitudes that were prevalent at the time will not be portrayed in this rp. It may make the game more accurate, but at the cost of making people unnecessarily uncomfortable .

ChefTony said:
@Bardiel I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "attitudes". For some reason I'm leaning towards racist "attitudes" of the time, so forgive me if I am completely off the topic here. Both sexist and racist attitudes that were prevalent at the time will not be portrayed in this rp. It may make the game more accurate, but at the cost of making people unnecessarily uncomfortable .
Being uncomfortable isn't necessarily a bad thing, however, as you mentioned the game was set in 1926, I thought it was prudent to clarify this. It can be taken then, that you are looking more for a pulp adventure, somewhere between with Agatha Christie's "Death On The Nile" and "The Mummy" film franchise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back