Valiance

RobinDenstro

The Overseer
Though the leaves of Autumn have hardly begun to fall, a breeze of cold makes wearing anything less than fur unbearable. By now, the many emissaries and proxies of many nations have arrived at the foot of Velkor. Those of the Iron Chains make camp outside of its walls, only sending a few inside in the hopes of obtaining a treaty against the other nations.

Those of Velkor remain in meeting with those from Lordryn, Delrond, and Nyrden, trying to find middle ground in all of this madness. Outside the doors, whispers can be heard from the scouts and spies of the Iron Chains, hoping to rid the land of barbarians and Nyrden scum.

Inside various bars and outlying shops await the mercenaries, assassins, and hired hands whom are either wasting their time drinking their problems away or finding a new job to complete.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kalius, taking his time trying to remain as quiet as can be, stands at the ready in front of the meeting's doors, alongside another Knight of Iron Chains pretending to be of Velkor. Between them kneels their servant, Leibas, who was sent to collect information on the meeting's whereabouts. Though it may be difficult for him to hear what's exactly going on, it seems as though he has plenty of time.

"Sigh." Leibas said as he sighed. He was missing a perfectly good drink right now. Honestly, he'd much rather be fighting barbarians instead of doing these diplomacadic missions, and that is low on the list on things he enjoy doing. "Well, you wanted to know where the meeting was; there it is." He said as he pointed at the doors to the meeting, "Did you want me to do something here, or can I get back to that glass of orange juice?"

(Also, no; I did not accidentally misspell 'diplomatic')

Anna walked through the halls of the castle, hoping for someone to talk to. All the visitors lately had been very sullen, and most did little more than acknowledge her with a nod of the head or passing glance. Her family was, of course, spending all their time trying to work something out, and she was seldom involved. "It's sure to get better though" she thought, putting on a smile. As she walked past a window, she shivered, wishing she had dressed a little warmer and had the sense to wear shoes; her toes were just starting to turn red. She sped up, hoping she could find a fire soon.

Turning the corner, she saw three men standing near the meeting hall. She didn't recognize them, but then, the castle was filled with lots of people she didn't recognize. She smiled brightly, and hurried toward them, hoping they were better mannered than the Lord she had last tried to talk to. "Hello!" she called, "Do you need any help?".

Kalius, not expecting to see the girl before him, tried to hide the kick he quickly gave to Leibas in order for him to stand up tall in this girl's presence. Though flustered and anxious from the girl's arrival, all of that was hidden behind his helmet. Trying to regain his composure, he stated simple;

"We're guarding the meeting, miss. Is there something I can help you with?" As calm as he could, he stood before her at the ready, his hands at both of his sides. He prayed that he nor the others would mess this up, and he greatly hoped that Leibas wouldn't pull out his puppet.

Leibas got up after Kalius kicked him and turned to see a girl approaching them. "Good day." He said, reaching his right arm out for a handshake (his left hand remained in his jacket pocket), "My name's Leibas. Your's?" He always tended to be more courteous towards women than men. When asked about it, he responds that being polite is often confused with courting. If that's the case, he didn't want people to think that he is... you know.

Anna smiled as the man extended his hand, deliberately shaking it slowly; she had recently been told that her handshakes were too enthusiastic. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Anna", she responded happily, retracting her hand. After folding her hands at her waist in an attempt to look proper, she turned towards the other man, "I don't so much need help. Someone to talk to would be nice, though". She laughed, and it echoed slightly, causing her smile to grow wider. "I haven't seen you before. Are you new?". She cocked her head to the left.

Returning from the castle gardens, collecting some herbs he needed for some experiments, Blake decided to take a walk in the castle halls. He had a pardon to gather some herbs, but he let out a heavy sigh, knowing he had to attend the meeting. After all, he was the Advisor of Velkor, and he was pretty important in situations like this, but he made it a habit to try and take a walk to ease his mind. After putting his herbs in the working space in his room, he headed for the meeting room, noticing Anna talking to what seemed to be two guards and someone else. He walked over to the meeting room thinking, "Well here goes nothing. Be wary, but not afraid. Words have more power than they seem." "Anna.... Did you get called into the meeting as well?," He asked, slightly curious. He was quite interested to the two guards and the other man who looked very interesting to Blake at the moment.

The plan was falling to ruin, now. With the small ring of people growing ever larger, the ability to overhear the meeting fell to naught. Little information was gathered; not enough to compensate for the trouble it took to get here. Tapping the servant once again with his leg, he deliberately made a swift hand motion to signify that he needed to get out of there, and that he needed to deliver such information to their superiors.

In hopes of distracting the others from his hand motion, he tried to spark conversation. "I assure you, I am not knew. Though you may not recognize my voice, it is simply because we have not talked often. If you cannot tell, I've worn this armor for quite sometime, guarding various things as doors, nobles, and packages." He said, motioning toward the Velkaran armor; his disguise. "And someone to talk to would be lovely, actually. The work of a guard can get dreary at times." He stated, trying to remain as calm as possible.

Kalius then noticed the man's approach, and his notion towards the girl. Anna, he said her name was. Though the name seemed familiar, Kalius paid it no mind. Instead, he merely replied; "If Anna desires entry to the meeting, she will surely need to be of some noble position." He stated to the man, before turning back to the girl. "Are you a... noble's daughter? Aristocrat?" He stated, inquisitively.

"I am actually new here. This guy just wanted me to help him with something. He doesn't really need my help anymore, so I guess I'll be off." Leibas said, taking a hint from Kalius, "We'll probably meet again, so see ya." He gave a quick wave goodbye before walking away from the scene, whistling

tune to himself. He decided to head over to one of the bars since his job was over.

"Blake!" Anna cried, throwing herself on the newcomer in one of her usual hugs. One of the newer guards would have been surprised by this, but a friend as old as Blake should have been expecting it. Letting go of him, she replyed, "I'm afraid not. I imagine they'll need you, though."

Turning to the first guard, she laughed, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "Surely you're joking. No guard could be unaware of who I am; I bother them all too much!". She waved as the second guard walked off. "It was nice to meet you," she called, "I hope to see you again!".

Kalius, confused and otherwise distraught, had little to no reply to the girl's leaving. Clearly she was of some importance, though he knew not who she was. Furthermore, he was a bit confused about the relationship between her and the newcomer. Were the something of a couple? Clearly they were of some similar age, though such seemed particularly doubtful.

Anxious and bothered, he shook his head, dismissing all of the misleading thoughts which polluted his thoughts. He turned to the newcomer once more, not saying a word to him. Just a subtle nod, if only to signify respect. Kalius truly had no business with him, as he seemed only to approach for the sake of seeing the girl. In fact, the more he thought about it, the more a relationship between them made sense.

The disguised knight stood quietly, now pointing his attention away from the man in front of him. His attention was now completely focused on listening, waiting. Trying to pay attention to the meeting which he could hardly hear anyway.

Blake let out a heavy sigh, slightly upset that Anna left. He often pondered about why Anna was never in the meetings....at all. She was a part of this Kingdom, and a respected figure as well. Blake liked her as well, but he has never mentioned it to her out of fear of rejection and he was modest as well. He and Anna were good friends, and he was scared of ruining by confessing his feelings. "Perhaps one day, Anna. Maybe...." he thought before turning the guards at the entrance of the meeting room. "I hate to disturb you all anymore than I already am, standing in front of you, and smelling of herbs, but as Advisor of Velkor, I believe I am needed in there," Blake knew he was late, but he didn't have ants in his pants, so he was prepared to if he was needed in there, which was more likely than he often imagined.

Walking away, Anna realized how cold she was. Her toes were white and without feeling. "I really need that fire," she thought, quickening her pace. She almost ran through the halls, headed for the kitchen, where there was almost always a fire. Now with all their guests, the kitchen was busier than ever, and ever though it wasn't "proper" Anna loved to help.

Entering the large kitchen, Anna waved to the cooks, who smiled warmly. She laughed slightly as she watched a newer woman stop mid-bow, remembering Anna's request to be treated as one of them. "I'm not a princess right now, Leila; you don't need to do that," she called. The woman blushed and motioned for Anna to join her near the fire.

As Leibas walked away from the meeting, his nose caught on something. He could smell someone baking. Entranced by the smell, he walked towards the kitchen, briefly walking past Blake and Kalius by the door. As he opened the door to peek in, he could see all the cooks rushing around getting the food prepared. This made his stomach growl as he waited for an opening to quickly go in and have a taste.

Hearing the adviser's response, Kalius nodded, allowing the man to enter. However, just as the knight opened the door, the meeting concluded. The emissaries of Lordryn and and Delrond now talking among themselves, the Lord of Velkar now standing to his feet. Without another word to say to the man before him, Kalius made a slight bow, and left, the other knight beside him in toe.

They left the hallway and down the stairs, leaving back toward the outside of the walls. They tried to blend in with the other guard's patrols, hoping to leave the walls without being noticed or caught. However, down a dirt road, Kalius noticed the servant boy being trailed off toward the kitchen, falling his nose it would seem. Looking around to see if anyone would notice him, the disguised knight soon thought it would be safe and left toward him.

"I thought I told you to get back to the camp, Leibas!" Kalius said, with much disdain in his voice. "Do you want to get us killed?"

Leibas jumped a little when Kalius snuck up behind him. Just great; how was he going to sneak with him around? Sneaking around with Geoffrey was hard enough. "I thought you just told me to go away." He said in a hushed tone, "And keep your voice down. Do you want to get us killed? Also if we are having a getting each other killed contest, I'd win so don't even try it."

Anna wiggled her toes, enjoying the warmth, laughing every now and then when the fire popped and sent out sparks. The woman beside her smiled as she stood up, and began digging through a cabinet. She returned with a small wooden bowl, filled with small, round fruits. "Leila, are those blueberries?" Anna asked, her excitement very clear. Many people in the castle, the kitchen staff especially, knew that blueberries were the princess's favorite food. The woman nodded, handing her the bowl with a shy smile. She was rewarded with a huge smile and an enthusiastic thank you.

After a few more minutes, Anna realized that getting some shoes would be in her best interest, so with a wave and a thank you to everyone, she left. Upon exiting, she found herself in the presence of the two men from earlier, one of which looked particularly interested in the kitchen. "Hungry?" she asked with a smile and a laugh, extending her bowl toward both of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blake was prepared to do what he had to do, but seeing the meeting finish right in front of him was sort of disappointing for him, so he headed back to his room thinking, "Well I got worked up for nothing after all. I just hope all turns out well," Blake thought for a moment. Well, it was over now and there was not much to do about it. Besides, but Blake never his thoughts as the most important anyway. "Well I'd best eat something now... I guess." Blake thought, making his way to the kitchen, a smile finally creaking on his face. Whenever Blake wasn't in his room, which is usually after noon comes and goes, Blake often spent his kitchen or outside doing just anything he felt like or just casual chatter with an elder woman, sitting on a wooden chair. One woman went up to him with two plates of the usual dinner the chef made him: Rice, Bread, and a whole chicken. This struck Blake as unusual. "Well this is unusual... It is simply unsettling that you would more than usual." The woman looked at Blake with a serious, yet thoughtful expression answering, "Look at you, boy. Soon you'll be nothing but bones if you don't eat every now and then." Blake chuckled at the woman, "But I am not bones!" The woman pushed him out of the kitchen. "Not yet, Blake. Besides, a little meat on your bones will do you more good than you think." Blake knew he could not eat all of this, but rewarded the woman with a hug and a thank you. Upon exiting, he saw Anna talking to the guards from earlier. "Excuse me. Would any of you be hungry?" Blake asked with a smile extending one plate to them both.

"If you want to get yourself killed Leibas, be my guest. But I'm taking this information back to camp with or without you." Kalius whispered softly, turning slightly as to make sure Leibas would be the only one to hear. Stepping away from him, he bowed to the others, making it clear that he meant them no disrespect. "I apologize, but I am quite busy at the moment. I may take you up on your offer at a later date, though not now, I am afraid."

And, with that, he turned and left. As soon as he turned, the anxiety got to him, and his chest twisted into a painful knot. What is that moron thinking? He thought, trying to keep his pace steady and stable. It seems as though he has a death wish. It's the only explanation I can gather for his complete disregard for authority and safety.

Well, that escalated quickly. First Leibas was trying to sneak into the kitchen to get some food and now two people were giving him some. "I think I'll just take some blueberries." He said as he took a handful of blueberries. He then turned his head to Blake and continued, "Besides, you look like you could use some meat on your bones." Kalius wispered something to him; something about getting himself killed; before leaving. "Okay, see you later!" He yelled to Kalius as he left. He then turned back to Anna and Blake. "So, what was that meeting about?"

Blake sighed as he decided to sit down and eat. "Oh Fine. I guess you're right," Blake said, a bit upset by what Leibas had said. He then asked what was the meeting was about, "If I recall correctly, the terms of a treaty with the Iron Chains was the main topic, which is not a bad idea, in my opinion. If I had to guess, and correct me if I am wrong, you and your knight associate are affiliated with the Iron Chains."

Anna smiled and ate some more blueberries. These were some of the last for the year, and so they seemed particularly enjoyable. She laughed a little at Blake's accusation. "Don't be silly. He's just new. That's what he told me, so it must be true," she smiled at Leibas and then at Blake, "It's best to trust people".

(An old woman tells your character and he gives her a hug. My character tells him and he's a little upset? ._.)

"Actually, I am both." Leibas said after a few blueberries, "I am affiliated with the Iron Chains and I am new. Although since I'm new I don't do very much." He ate a few more blueberries before continuing. "Why? Is being affiliated with the Iron Chains bad or something?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Kalius fled back to the camp, merely three miles from the city, hidden within the trees. When he arrived, many guards readied their weapons. He immediately removed his helmet to show his allegiance, and they backed off. He walked a ways down the dirt path, and soon entered what was the largest tent in the clearing; the general's quarters.

Upon entering, he noted the stern argument he seemed to be having with one of his inferiors. Kalius waited on the side until he was finished, which took no time at all. Once done, the general noted Kalius's presence, and cracked a smile. "Good evening, Kalius. I'm surprised to see you in one piece." He said with a grin, looking behind him for a man that wasn't there.

"Where is Leibas?" The general questioned. Kalius shook his head. "He didn't come with me, sir. He appeared more intent on getting food and being caught." Kalius replied, with much disdain in his voice. "Furthermore, the information we collected was a little... lackluster. All we discovered was that they're planning to gain a treaty with the Iron Chains, though they've said nothing about declaring war against the Nyrden."

The general rubbed his face in desperation, clear weariness on his face. With a wave of his hand, he dismissed Kalius, who left with a bow.

(Also, guys, remember that rule 3 is still in effect; 3] I don't expect seeing massive chapters of posts. However, try to keep your posts to 2 or more decent paragraphs)

(@Thesmashbro To a complete stranger, some might be offended about their personal problems. Perhaps I looked at it the wrong way.)

Blake chuckled a bit, "It's not a bad thing in any way, good sir." Blake started eating even more, upset at having to eat so much. He was simply a Wizard, and he didn't usually eat much anyway, on rare occasion when he made food for himself and when he was practicing his magic. And at times, people would send him some food from time to time. Some say he was too devoted to his magic that it started to affect his health.

"I kinda can't believe she does this to me. I'm no Knight, but still." Blake looked at Leibas for a moment. "So would you mind coming with me for a moment?" Blake started eating more, but got up for a moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back