Vague Attempts at Pokemon ROMhacks

Draconus297

The Dragon Lord
Okay, okay, I admit that that isn't the most imaginative or inspiring title of a thread you've ever seen, but it gets better.

Alright, so that fan idea of "let's create a game with all the regions" is absolutely never going to happen in any official release. No way, no how. GameFreak would give up too many resources, and then probably make too little money to justify the expenses.

However, that's not to say that we couldn't do it.

The big things here though are plot and balancing. You have to have a plot that can extend for six entire regions, and you can't be curb-stomping every region once you've beaten whichever one you tried first.

So, here are my ideas:

1- We have a small hub region, used to introduce a small host of new Pokemon, and to set the stage with your two rivals and any plot threads.

2- Cut out the entire deal with the Teams for the main plot. It's just way too much, with everything considered. However, it could be an interesting aftergame (see below). In the places where you battled Grunts in the original games, we can create a brand new "Reenactor" trainer class, and a "Historian" trainer class where you originally battled Admins and the leaders of each Team.

3- Remove all Legendaries for the main plot. They break the flow of the game- for those of us who decided to sequence-break in Emerald and capture Rayquaza before challenging the Elite Four, we just curb-stomped everything, and showed Wallace what a joke he was. However, they could be interesting for the aftergame (see below).

4- Have a two-rival system, similar to Gen V, but with a twist- the rival with the starter advantageous to yours is straight overleveled, but uses next to no strategy and attempts to simply overpower you; the disadvantageous rival, however, will be underleveled, but will be highly competitive and make good use of switches, hold items, and downright unfair strategies. In a grand total of 24 rival encounters (4 in Kanto, 3 in Johto, 4 in Hoenn, 4 in Sinnoh, 4 in Unova, 3 in Kalos, and 2 in the hub region), it will be entirely random as to who challenges you. Either way, the battles will represent two different strategies people use to get through the games.

5- To keep you from crushing each new region, you'll be forced to pull an Ash and leave all your old Pokemon in the Box until you get to the Elite Four of the new region. You can access all your Pokemon, caught in all regions, in the hub area, because it's a hostile deathtrap of a place.

6- After you've beaten the Champion of each region (yeah, you're fighting Lance twice, GLHF), you get one of six keys (again, Lance will give one key for beating Johto, and one for beating Kanto- it will depend on which eight badges you present to him), of which you will be required to present all six in order to challenge the main Final Exam Bosses, the Weather Siblings (Summer, Raine, Clay, and Arcturus) and Grand Champion Orlando, who will use a team of our new, practically overpowered Pokemon to make a joke out of everything you're throwing at him, with a team in the low 80s.

7- After you've beaten Orlando, he presents you with a Snag Machine (couldn't leave the Orre games out of this if I tried). At this point, Peons will attack various Gyms at random. When they do, that Gym Leader will call for help, and you have to get to that Gym as quickly as possible to challenge the Peon. Each one will have a team based around a particular Legendary Pokemon, which you will then have to Snag at some point in the battle. If you don't, you give up the opportunity for good- that Peon will never reappear. Bring balls. Lots of them.

8- Also after you've beaten Orlando, the player characters of previous games will hide out in various places of importance from their games, with teams based on a combination of canon art, fanon, and other such things.

Red will, of course, be hanging around Mt. Silver, with a slightly modified version of his HG/SS team. I'm personally thinking of cutting out the Charizard and Blastoise (seeing as, in the original art pieces, Red was pictured with a Bulbasaur), cycling the Espeon from Crystal back in, and perhaps giving him a Pidgeot, seeing as nearly every depiction of Red shows him with a member of that line. I'm open to suggestion here.

Leaf, by checking fanart, is usually pictured with: a member of the Squirtle line (so Blastoise), Pinsir (for some ungodly reason), Fearow, Haunter (so Gengar) and Magneton (Magnezone?). This has many gaps in logic, mostly regarding only five members and the weakness to Rock. I am highly open to suggestion. As for where she'll appear, her first game appearance was FireRed/LeafGreen, which also introduced the Sevii Islands, so . . .

Ethan is a special case. Since he is often referred to as "Gold", I figured placing him on Gold's mascot's location (Tin Tower) was a rather bright idea. Then, regarding a team, here's what I've managed to piece together: An overwhelming preference for Typhlosion both among fans and canon art, the various gift Pokemon (Dragonite, Togekiss, and an Egg Pokemon [Clefable, Wigglytuff, Jynx, Electrivire, Magmortar, or another Pikachu/Raichu, but I'm personally attached to the Electrivire, if only for Red parallels]), and he's practically always pictured with some Gen I Water-type Pokemon or another, and Tyranitar seems to be a popular choice. Something about this team setup doesn't feel right to me, but if you believe you could make it work, feel free to make suggestions.

Lyra I've mostly figured out. First off, I feel like placing her in the basement of the ruined Burned Tower for the parallel to Ethan, plus the relation to Kris, where Crystal placed a massive amount of emphasis on the Legendary Beasts that came from said location. Then, regarding her team, working off the triangular workaround with Ethan and Silver, she would have to have a Meganium. Then, in artwork, I have seen her with Ampharos, Hitmontop, Graveler (Golem?), Misdreavus (Mismagius), and a disturbingly high concentration of Horsea (so, Kingdra). That sounds decently solid, but I just can't think of a single set that works well to make this team legitimately threatening.

I decided to do something interesting regarding Brendan and May. I was thinking that you would get the Orbs from them when you win (Red from Brendan, Blue from May, because their manga counterparts are Ruby and Sapphire, respectively), as the explanation for why the Peons with Groudon and Kyogre won't Primal-revert on you. Because this is the first generation where the female main character was more popular than the male (mostly because of the anime, although I think that had Leaf existed game-wise, I would've played as her, given my personal love of the character design), May's starter would be advantageous to Brendan's. For obvious reasons, May has a Blaziken lead, and given the massive popularity of Beautifly on the whole (especially paired with May) I just couldn't ding that. Interestingly, though, the next popular Pokemon to pair with May are Mawile and Banette, then Milotic, followed by Flygon of all things. Color me intrigued, and those of you who can make this a decent set have my praise. Brendan, by contrast, has a Sceptile lead, and given the disturbingly high quantity of Absol and Gardevoir fanart focused around Brendan I just couldn't avoid it. Then, Aggron has a large cluster around it, followed by Dusclops (which I'm taking as a sign for Dusknoir), and then regarding Water-types I am informed of the recent jump in Sharpedo's popularity (both their teams require a Surf-user, as going through Gen 3 without Surf is friggin' impossible). Again, a pretty decent team, excepting the weakness to Bug, but movesets escape me. Regarding locations, I was thinking of the Seafloor Cavern for May and Mt. Chimney for Brendan, simply because of the connections to Aqua and Magma.

I'm not entirely sure on team layouts for Dawn, Lucas, Nate, and Rosa, (NOT Herbert and Hilda, because I don't want Gen V represented twice) because my lack of experience regarding Sinnoh and Unova leaves me unable to really judge the fanart, and deciding appearance locations would be downright impossible. I have a guy working on Gen 4, because he fancies himself a Sinnoh expert, but he admits the Gen V games weren't all that memorable to him. Help appreciated.

Regarding Kalos, while there is a considerable amount of fanart, a lot of it is contradicting regarding he teams of Calem and Serena. Serena is usually pictured with a member of the Fennekin line (so, Delphox), an Amaurus, and I'm seeing a lot of Flabebe (Florges), but that is all that tends to be common. Regarding Calem, I'm getting definitive appearances from Greninja, Meowstic (male) and Hawlucha, but that's pretty much it. Help is definitely needed here in pinning down a team for either of them. Regarding locations, however, I'm thinking of putting Serena in Geosenge Town, and Calem in the Unknown Dungeon.

I've made a very small number of new Pokemon, who I'll be posting here over time.

All suggestions appreciated, and discussion commences . . . now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back