Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

What I was trying to point out was forcing other to do stuff there character is rude... then it's not your character anymore I honesty don't care. Much more your long speech as it's the logic of seen used to suddenly rework old books and movies to make them "diverse"

I dodon't think diversity is all that important the good reasons for and against it don't really exist let people have there views and you have yours shoving your idea of how people should make there world's and character seems very controlling no?
Please stop. This has already been settled.

What I was trying to point out was forcing other to do stuff there character is rude... then it's not your character anymore I honesty don't care. Much more your long speech as it's the logic of seen used to suddenly rework old books and movies to make them "diverse"

I dodon't think diversity is all that important the good reasons for and against it don't really exist let people have there views and you have yours shoving your idea of how people should make there world's and character seems very controlling no?
As a writer who doesn’t want to compromise my story to talk about unrelated issues... I agree!

It's probably an unpopular opinion for me to say that I think character sheets are unnecessary except to explain a character concept to the GM or in a 1x1 rp. They're fun to read sometimes, but I also find that people almost always deviate from them anyways when they write them really in depth. It would be neat to see more group rps that let players just straightforwardly engage in the rp without having to extensively define everything about their character beforehand.
I like this even though I don’t entirely agree with it. Mostly because it’s a very compelling argument.

It's probably an unpopular opinion for me to say that I think character sheets are unnecessary except to explain a character concept to the GM or in a 1x1 rp. They're fun to read sometimes, but I also find that people almost always deviate from them anyways when they write them really in depth. It would be neat to see more group rps that let players just straightforwardly engage in the rp without having to extensively define everything about their character beforehand.

I think a good compromise here is elevator pitches. It’s what a group did way back in my Gaia days and what I do for most of my 1x1. The idea is you give an overview of your character that’s about one to three paragraphs long (it depends if they have like a special ability or magical powers you have to explain). It also has the basics (name, age,etc) but it’s not to meant to be a full autobiography.

Just the equivalent of a five minute conversation where you pitch your character to someone else.

it usually gets the overall feel out and also lets the GM know you understand the lore (which is the primary reason for CS in groups)

I hate whenever I try and make my character do something only for everyone to just ignore it. And it's not anything big either; they just say something and then everyone else just ignores him.

Honestly I think people need to stop using real life brands in role plays, especially in low fantasy. It's pretty jarring to be reading of this demon prince drinking Jack Daniels.

Neither do I...

Well, actually there was this one time but it was an accident and they wete really cute together okay!
okay but! valid!!! i've written a romance for the same reason, but it's so annoying to start forced into a romance rp and im like "do these characters mesh? does it matter?"

okay but! valid!!! i've written a romance for the same reason, but it's so annoying to start forced into a romance rp and im like "do these characters mesh? does it matter?"
I like writing romance... I just don't like romance RPs.
Providing an explanation... Romance RPs tend towards what you're describing here: romance is the center of the story, and the relationship is just about all that matters. It's the entirety of the overarching plot... I find these instances are very quick to turn stale. Some folks like them... I don't.

Romance is a really good spice to an ongoing story... It can be very endearing and a wonderful experience if natural and dealt with well. If it's an organic, naturally-occurring relationship, I'd rate it as one of the absolute best parts of a RP... but that's the thing. In my opinion, it needs something to break it up with, metaphorically. A plot going on in the foreground with action, mystery, darkness... Then it becomes less of a matter of "Look at these characters in love!" and more a matter of "How is this relationship going to fare while all of this is going on?", "Are these characters stronger together?" and "How far can I push this relationship by tweaking the environment?"

A true, unforced, tactful romance can be one of the best things RP has to offer as a whole... It's when a RP hyper-focuses on the romance that it starts to wander out of my interests.

Daisie Daisie amazingly well said my friend!!! i don't hate romance, and I think it's a very effective tool. but oh my goodness i just. I just don't understand how you could only write romance centric rps. like characters can have so many other dynamics. as someone who's lived my whole life with no romance and one crush, i promise you that i've made friends. i've had siblings, parents, enemies, mentors and mentees, and those were all really dynamic relationships. why can't my characters have those relationships too? without being forced to fall in love with whoever you want to forcibly smash them against as though they're barbie dolls?

that got ranty, but basically i dont write romance as a rule, unless it develops naturally within an rp setting.

Honestly I think people need to stop using real life brands in role plays, especially in low fantasy. It's pretty jarring to be reading of this demon prince drinking Jack Daniels.
I don't see the harm of it in a modern-set RP, where the opposite is more distracting.

I like writing romance... I just don't like romance RPs.
Providing an explanation... Romance RPs tend towards what you're describing here: romance is the center of the story, and the relationship is just about all that matters. It's the entirety of the overarching plot... I find these instances are very quick to turn stale. Some folks like them... I don't.

Romance is a really good spice to an ongoing story... It can be very endearing and a wonderful experience if natural and dealt with well. If it's an organic, naturally-occurring relationship, I'd rate it as one of the absolute best parts of a RP... but that's the thing. In my opinion, it needs something to break it up with, metaphorically. A plot going on in the foreground with action, mystery, darkness... Then it becomes less of a matter of "Look at these characters in love!" and more a matter of "How is this relationship going to fare while all of this is going on?", "Are these characters stronger together?" and "How far can I push this relationship by tweaking the environment?"

A true, unforced, tactful romance can be one of the best things RP has to offer as a whole... It's when a RP hyper-focuses on the romance that it starts to wander out of my interests.
Daisie Daisie amazingly well said my friend!!! i don't hate romance, and I think it's a very effective tool. but oh my goodness i just. I just don't understand how you could only write romance centric rps. like characters can have so many other dynamics. as someone who's lived my whole life with no romance and one crush, i promise you that i've made friends. i've had siblings, parents, enemies, mentors and mentees, and those were all really dynamic relationships. why can't my characters have those relationships too? without being forced to fall in love with whoever you want to forcibly smash them against as though they're barbie dolls?

that got ranty, but basically i dont write romance as a rule, unless it develops naturally within an rp setting.
F77D1A1F-8C70-4B46-8778-3FC0C4CE9E1C.jpeg
(Can't stand this character but when you need a reaction image...)

okay, so, fantasy roleplayers might not agree with this, but... elves are literally the most boring fantasy race there is. they're just humans with spiky ears and magic that live in the woods! i'm honestly tired to death of them 😭 i've seen a few good elf concepts, one where they were creepy ape-like beings and another where they were these weird plant-humanoid creatures, but other than that, i can't stand them.

and don't get me started on aliens... the reason i often avoid sci-fi is because for some reason, the aliens almost always look like funky humans with maybe four eyes. that, or an alien that looks exactly like a human woman but with green skin. thankfully i've avoided this so far during sci-fi roleplays on rpn, but i needed to get this off my chest lmao

But how? (No thinking emoji because I'm not a condescending jackass.)
in general i think rating systems are basically methods to quash unpopular ideas and raise up widely agreeable ones. moreover with rp, i've seen my share of people beating themselves up because they don't get enough ratings, aren't getting the most, aren't getting the kind they want, or whatever else, to the point where they either leave, ghost, disrupt or some combination of the three the involved rp. comparatively, shiny internet points don't serve much more of a point than spiking and very brief dopamine hit. i don't really think points offer much, if anything, especially when compared to harm that not getting them (especially when someone/everyone else is) can cause someone who's inclined towards being effected like that. i'm not really an expert on psychology so i'm not comfortable pointing out 'types' of people who might be effected in that way, but from experience i can definitely say that they exist.

i mean uh haha cookie stinky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back