Other Unpopular Opinions

So is stuff like funk, soul or r'n'b and I don't see nearly as many people hating those. I think it's more that most people expect music to have a catchy tune you can wake up stuck with in your head. A lot of rap doesn't really deliver that.

I'd say a similar number of people (likely more) hate metal because "it's just noise" and that genre has fairly few people of colour in it, so I'm not sure we can pin this particular thing on racism, as tempting as it may be.
Fair enough I suppose.

So… there’s nothing musical about rhythm? Instrumentation? Composition? Lyrics? Hell, a lot of rap and hip hop literally samples other music. A lot of it incorporates singing. It might not be a style of musical expression that vibes with you, but it’s definitely music.
It's just sloppy poetry -- which also has rhythm, composition, and words.

In my equally hot take on this issue I'll say that a lot of the "rap is not real music" rhetoric is probably rooted in racism as rap is predominantly black.
Also, you're making assumptions based on nothing, as there are plenty of white rappers. Their music isn't any better.

Moreover, black people don't just make rap. They're in various genres of music, and to claim otherwise is pretty racist as well. Did I claim that I hate all music? Or are you insistent in making everyone a racist because you're bored as heck?

And another unpopular opinion: People hate popular music because they're not like other people and don't want to associate with anything mainstream. Never mind that there are plenty of mainstream songs from other genres, not to mention that pop music often has a lot of other forms of music mixed into the final product.

Pop music isn't soulless/heartless, it's just what tends to make it on radio stations because it knows how to get an audience. Western Pop, K-pop, J-pop, all of it.

Taylor Swift started out as a country singer. It's not as though her abilities completely died though, since her transition, every album has something else to it. Granted, some albums are worse than others -- but it's the same for every artist, and you could disagree, just as you have every right to be wrong.

Edgy people who must insist that anything that's got "popular" in the category name is nothing but popular and has no substance to it aren't going to know anything about the artists behind it, the genres that get mixed in, or what pop music can do for people.

Soul, Jazz, Rhythm & Blues, and Blues are great too, but let's not diss pop because it's that "white or asian" thing. It's not like there aren't POC musicians in pop. Michael Jackson, John Legend, Alicia Keys, Prince... but yeah, nah, totally a white thing and therefore totally something "I must ignore because l don't like white things and white girls that listen to their white ass music with their white people problems".

I mean, even in your retort, you conveniently excluded the obviously musical features of rap and hip hop that I mentioned.

On any given rap or hip hop song, there’s percussion, there’s a bass line, there’s vocals. Then you add any number of different instruments into the mix. That’s all music. Which is the argument I was making against the original “opinion” that was made.

And to say that all rap is just “sloppy” poetry... Obviously there are bad rappers and there are bad poets. There are bad lyricists in any genre of music. There are bad writers in any given medium. Fine. But I can also point you toward some rappers who write some of the best lyrics out of anybody in the world in the past few decades.

But again, as I said in my first response, you might not vibe with the music that’s being made. But it’s absolutely music. Point blank period.
It's just sloppy poetry -- which also has rhythm, composition, and words

I mean, even in your retort, you conveniently excluded the obviously musical features of rap and hip hop that I mentioned.

On any given rap or hip hop song, there’s percussion, there’s a bass line, there’s vocals. Then you add any number of different instruments into the mix. That’s all music. Which is the argument I was making against the original “opinion” that was made.

And to say that all rap is just “sloppy” poetry... Obviously there are bad rappers and there are bad poets. There are bad lyricists in any genre of music. There are bad writers in any given medium. Fine. But I can also point you toward some rappers who write some of the best lyrics out of anybody in the world in the past few decades.

But again, as I said in my first response, you might not vibe with the music that’s being made. But it’s absolutely music. Point blank period.
We're not talking about facts here, just opinions and perceptions though.
I do not perceive it as music based on my view of what music is. And I think simply throwing around terminology related to music does not have to make it music to me.
And it's not that there couldn't be good rappers and bad rappers, I know there are. I know if I absolutely had to listen to rap, I would probably choose certain categories of rap over others. This means even to me there is better and worse rap. It has nothing to do with whether I perceive it as music or not though.
Moreover, the lyrics without the rest of the music, are just text. When written out as it often is, it is structured essentially as most poems are structured with lines and verses. Just because the text is good, doesn't mean the whole song is good, and if we're only considering the text and nothing else in the background, should I really consider it based on how good it is as a song, when all the elements you mentioned, including the instruments, are excluded since your chosen rappers allegedly have "some of the best lyrics out of anybody in the world in the past few decades" with no mention to any other aspect of their music.
(Although, by all means, feel free to share any kind of examples of any kind of music. I'll at least give it a shot.)
I just still wouldn't consider it music based on my own admittedly quite convoluted perception of what music is.
Music is just a category, a form of entertainment, which in itself is a category and all those are based on definitions that can shift and change and be perceived differently by different people. To me, just simply having musical elements in it doesn't make it music.
A movie has instrumental sounds/OSTs in the background, but that doesn't make the movie music, the movie just has music in the background of it.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if something "is" or "isn't" music based on any arbitrary definition, some people will still like listening to it and others won't. Whether you call something "music I don't like", "bad music" or "not music" doesn't materially change anything. It's just one of those perennial conflicts that serve no real purpose other than to make everyone involved feel superior. That seems to be what a surprisingly large chunk of human discourse boils down to. But I think we can all agree I am the best.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if something "is" or "isn't" music based on any arbitrary definition, some people will still like listening to it and others won't. Whether you call something "music I don't like", "bad music" or "not music" doesn't materially change anything. It's just one of those perennial conflicts that serve no real purpose other than to make everyone involved feel superior. That seems to be what a surprisingly large chunk of human discourse boils down to. But I think we can all agree I am the best.
You are the best, Buttercup.

I hate sparkling water with a passion. Really anything with to much carbonation (soda) grinds my gears ⚙️
2nd opinion idk if this one is uncommon but anyone who doesn't like animals or 90% of animals is creepy to me

I hate sparkling water with a passion. Really anything with to much carbonation (soda) grinds my gears ⚙️
It's an acquired taste. I used to hate it too, but eventually came to like it.

Probably said this already, but Demon Slayer was pretty mediocre. At least what I watched of it.

I adore filler. Filler is great, I love getting to just see characters interact and having fun or hanging out without anything too important happening. I am completely down to just watch episodes or read chapters or whatever where nothing bad happens, there is no conflict, and its just characters acting like themselves. The need to focus on the plot and not have too much filler is why I don't like movies very much, and I never really feel like any story is 'bloated'. If I like characters in a story, I will never get tired of just getting to spend time with them, I'm way more likely to get upset about shows/books/RPs/whatever consistently having to make characters miserable or kill them off for drama.

now, I like having a plot around the filler. I really prefer comedy series that have some dramatic tone to them too. But I dont mind pretty much any quantity of fluffy filler as long as there is still something else in the story on some level.

I adore filler. Filler is great, I love getting to just see characters interact and having fun or hanging out without anything too important happening. I am completely down to just watch episodes or read chapters or whatever where nothing bad happens, there is no conflict, and its just characters acting like themselves. The need to focus on the plot and not have too much filler is why I don't like movies very much, and I never really feel like any story is 'bloated'. If I like characters in a story, I will never get tired of just getting to spend time with them, I'm way more likely to get upset about shows/books/RPs/whatever consistently having to make characters miserable or kill them off for drama.

now, I like having a plot around the filler. I really prefer comedy series that have some dramatic tone to them too. But I dont mind pretty much any quantity of fluffy filler as long as there is still something else in the story on some level.
Same! Well, sort of. I prefer it when the filler has to do with characters I am particularly fond of.

Black Clover is actually pretty good with filler, I find - generally it can add to arcs, characters, or even weight to a future scenario. Sure, it's inconsistent with art and sometimes the magic characters have, but when it isn't recaps, it tends to hit more than it tends to miss.

As for movies - I like movies, but it depends. I do prefer series -- I think more movies should do sequel series. How to Train Your Dragon had two great series (followed by a terrible one set in the future, but anyway), as did Disney's Tangled, and Kung Fu Panda, and I loved the Madagascar spin-off series "Penguins of Madagascar". I thought they added a lot to the stories without always needing some kind of world-ending scenario. Some things were more personal, and this variation in the types of conflict and resolutions, as well as the different interactions and development, and showing additional sides of the characters, created variety, it kept things interesting but also meant that the story went deeper than the movies, and allows side characters to shine more. Race to the Edge's Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Snotlout seemed superior to me as opposed to how they were portrayed by the movies -- though the movies were admittedly a gorgeous, funny, and well-enough rounded starting point from which the series could go on.

Brrr... I don't really care for killing off characters - especially my favourites. Especially "to redeem them" because the creators couldn't think of a better redemption arc, or to create cheap sympathy.

I love plot, but I also love the other things that go along with a good story. Including the wholesome or relaxing moments in between all the tension and the angst that provide levity or depth, or allow us to see characters in different settings doing different things from the norm.

Same! Well, sort of. I prefer it when the filler has to do with characters I am particularly fond of.

Black Clover is actually pretty good with filler, I find - generally it can add to arcs, characters, or even weight to a future scenario. Sure, it's inconsistent with art and sometimes the magic characters have, but when it isn't recaps, it tends to hit more than it tends to miss.

As for movies - I like movies, but it depends. I do prefer series -- I think more movies should do sequel series. How to Train Your Dragon had two great series (followed by a terrible one set in the future, but anyway), as did Disney's Tangled, and Kung Fu Panda, and I loved the Madagascar spin-off series "Penguins of Madagascar". I thought they added a lot to the stories without always needing some kind of world-ending scenario. Some things were more personal, and this variation in the types of conflict and resolutions, as well as the different interactions and development, and showing additional sides of the characters, created variety, it kept things interesting but also meant that the story went deeper than the movies, and allows side characters to shine more. Race to the Edge's Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Snotlout seemed superior to me as opposed to how they were portrayed by the movies -- though the movies were admittedly a gorgeous, funny, and well-enough rounded starting point from which the series could go on.

Brrr... I don't really care for killing off characters - especially my favourites. Especially "to redeem them" because the creators couldn't think of a better redemption arc, or to create cheap sympathy.

I love plot, but I also love the other things that go along with a good story. Including the wholesome or relaxing moments in between all the tension and the angst that provide levity or depth, or allow us to see characters in different settings doing different things from the norm.
I think movies as part of a series (either in the middle or as the start of a franchise which then has series as a continuation) is a great idea! A perfect opportunity to lower the stakes while still having that big significant event in the story.

Alot of characters killed off to 'redeem' them, I really cant imagine them surviving 'redeemed'. like it would just be incredibly awkward all around for some genocidal conqueror to go around being all nice now, ya know? Killing them feels like a lazy cop-out to avoid that whole issue. Honestly I think redemption in general is kinda overdone, not that I'm opposed in principle but it ends up being very half-baked a majority of the time I feel.

I find that filler is most satisfying when it exists in between or alongside plot. Having lulls where characters can just be happy is a nice way to show how characters changed after previous, harsh conditions.

I will say as much as I love filler I dont actually like stories that are 'exclusively' filler, I find. When I read comedy series or whatever, I tend to find myself hoping that there ends up being some kind of actual plot progression and a serious undertone to it. Thats ideal to me, I like being able to take things seriously and have dramatic moments even in series that are mostly comedic or fluffy in nature.

On a separate note: does anyone else also often prefer the side characters over the main characters in series and movies? (Especially with Shounen.) It usually seems like the main character is the beloved one. And for various movies and series, this can be true. But there are so many series and movies - and especially Shounen - where I find the side characters to be much more interesting.

coming back to this with a positive take. the saw movies are Good, actually.

coming back to this with a positive take. the saw movies are Good, actually.
I actually agree. The character of Jigsaw intrigues me. The first movie in particular is a horror masterpiece.

I actually agree. The character of Jigsaw intrigues me. The first movie in particular is a horror masterpiece.

i especially loved amanda's character and her development in III. the initial trilogy are among my favorites.

Gurren Lagann was just okay. We get it, manly = good, but the characters were genuinely boring. Kill la Kill, though? Unironic masterpiece, along with Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

JoJo Part 2 is soooooo good. Yeah Harmon mayyyyyy not be as interesting as stands. But Joseph Joestar is an enjoyable character and sells the experience. And the fact he doesn't really stop the main bad is such a break of cliche (tho I love cliche too)

On a separate note: does anyone else also often prefer the side characters over the main characters in series and movies? (Especially with Shounen.) It usually seems like the main character is the beloved one. And for various movies and series, this can be true. But there are so many series and movies - and especially Shounen - where I find the side characters to be much more interesting.
Raises hand.

My avatar is a background character from Princess Nine and my user title was something an even less important character said about her that got mocked because she misspoke and said "sprinkler" instead of "sprinter".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back