Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a tragedy xxxtentacion died, and i wish the best for his family and hope they get all the support they require / want. but, an abuser is an abuser and even in death, i cannot and will not support or respect the person he was.

He was severely racist as well. Mock hanging a child of a difference race? Just... who does that?

Another one (hidden behind spoiler tag due to the high controversy:
As a person who's currently living in the present and mixed with English, African American and Filipina. I NOR ANYONE ELSE in the present; owes Native Americans and African-Americans anything. I did not "steal" your land or "rape" your women. I also did not "enslave" or "take away rights". I'm so sick and tired of this mentality. Natives were stealing land and raping before "white man" came along. And I'm sure Africans held some level of prejudice against each other.

Love this thread by the way!

As a person who sees this constantly...saying you are of a certain race or mixed with it means nothing in these situations.

"I'm asian and I don't find this offensive"
"I'm black and I don't-"

Like, what does that even matter. If you thought you had a valid point, why bring your race into it as if it adds more validity? Say your opinion and move on. Don't expect to receive more support because you are of a certain race and have a different opinion. People like that always make me feel like they're looking for attention.

I hate when people act like they're tired of being blamed for racism, when they've probably never even experienced such a situation. I just can't imagine that all these people who claim they're tired of being blamed for something their ancestors did have actually been personally confronted and accused of being a racist. So, what they mean to say is that they're tired of not having any real problems of their own to complain about, so they'll complain about someone else's problems they saw on the internet. Like it's very doubtful anyone came up to you on the streets and just called you racist. These people aren't fooling anyone. Instead of involving yourself in something you weren't apart of, keep moving and let the people who actually have real experiences with this handle it. Too many people on the internet just want to feel like they're apart of everything and need to speak on everything. Like, everyone seems to have fun making up stories online these days rather than doing something productive.

Unpopular opinion:

1. Hate speech isn't a thing and I detest that we're at the stage where words are considered violence so it's okay for you to just haul off and punch someone if they hurt your feefees. People need to grow a spine and stop ruining people's lives because you don't like their words. (Calling their place of work and if person is famous or something, pressuring advertisers to ditch. Dragging them through the mud etc.) I honestly think it's strange that the people who scream 'bullying!' the loudest are usually the biggest bullies. At the end of the day words are words and they can hurt sure...but not enough to make THAT big of a deal out of. If I find myself getting mad at what someone has said to me, I take a breath and ask myself 'will this matter a couple weeks from now? A month? A year?'.

2. I am horrified the U.K. found Count Dankula guilty of 'being grossly offensive'. Regardless of what someone thinks of his 'nazi pug' video, the idea that a government is wasting tax dollars to trial and possibly imprison people because of a joke (that literally nobody reported) and context is thrown out the window, sets a VERY BAD precedent. The U.K. looks veeeery bad for this, especially with the infamous police who are concerned about offensive tweets more than anything else.

No offense, but I think your first comment makes very little sense. It's basically ignoring all proven research that words can have a great impact on the mind, especially in your younger years. People have a right to say what they want, that I firmly believe in. But, I find it hypocritical of you to claim people should stop trying to control what people say and how they feel about something, while simultaneously telling people how they can feel and react to something. Words don't really bother me, but to say that everyone should have the same indifference to words as us is just silly. People are different, and not everyone will be able to handle things the same as us. Again, I personally don't care if someone spouts their ignorance at me, but to claim words are just words when there is tons of research that has been done to prove that statement false, just seems like you want to ignore reality in favor of your opinion, and people like that make me roll my eyes. I like to stand by research and scientific evidence, not my feelings. I feel like researchers would know better than me. And to make such a bold claim that words can't hurt someone enough to a point where it is a very big deal to them, completely goes against not only proven research but history, as well.

No offense, but I think your first comment makes very little sense. It's basically ignoring all proven research that words can have a great impact on the mind, especially in your younger years. People have a right to say what they want, that I firmly believe in. But, I find it hypocritical of you to claim people should stop trying to control what people say and how they feel about something, while simultaneously telling people how they can feel and react to something. Words don't really bother me, but to say that everyone should have the same indifference to words as us is just silly. People are different, and not everyone will be able to handle things the same as us. Again, I personally don't care if someone spouts their ignorance at me, but to claim words are just words when there is tons of research that has been done to prove that statement false, just seems like you want to ignore reality in favor of your opinion, and people like that make me roll my eyes. I like to stand by research and scientific evidence, not my feelings. I feel like researchers would know better than me. And to make such a bold claim that words can't hurt someone enough to a point where it is a very big deal to them, completely goes against not only proven research but history, as well.

Sorry, but the only people who are relying on feelings and not evidence are people who claim words = violence. If you can't handle someone saying mean words at you then your life isn't going to be a very bright and enjoyable one. People are going to say things you don't like, deal with it. There is no real research or scientific evidence that backs up that words are equatable to real violence.

If you ask someone whether they would prefer you to call them a name or punch them in the nose...the name will come out on top every time.

Sorry, but the only people who are relying on feelings and not evidence are people who claim words = violence. If you can't handle someone saying mean words at you then your life isn't going to be a very bright and enjoyable one. People are going to say things you don't like, deal with it. There is no real research or scientific evidence that backs up that words are equatable to real violence.

If you ask someone whether they would prefer you to call them a name or punch them in the nose...the name will come out on top every time.

You said words aren't a big deal. Science disputes that, your personal feelings don't disprove scientific evidence. There's nothing more to it. You can continue to argue your feelings on the situation, but I was just passing through. Don't expect a response. As any claims you want to make against what has been said you can direct to the numerous researchers who have actual evidence to back up their claims.

Another unpopular opinion, though I'm not sure how unpopular it really is.

Just because you enjoy music from a certain era, doesn't mean life would be better if we could somehow go back to that time. I mean, maybe things aren't the best right now, but every era had its downfalls, no matter how much you want to romanticize a certain point in time.

You said words aren't a big deal. Science disputes that, your personal feelings don't disprove scientific evidence. There's nothing more to it. You can continue to argue your feelings on the situation, but I was just passing through. Don't expect a response. As any claims you want to make against what has been said you can direct to the numerous researchers who have actual evidence to back up their claims.

You keep claiming there's scientific evidence. Yet you've not backed that up. So yea, you're full of it.

You responding to me acting all superior is hurting my feefees, guess i can commit violence against you now if we're following your reasoning.

Avocado is flavorless snot butter

Classic rock is absolutely the worst.

We should give up our guns and bloated legal system in favor of carrying swords and beating the snot out of each other like rational, civilized beings.

1. The United Kingdom should become a Republic that is supported by a constitution in order to acquire a more efficient form of government and to ensure individual liberties are protected and maintained.
  2. The British Armed Forces should receive more funding, and individual discipline is an absolute must have for soldiers.
  3. Gun control laws should be loosened as a means of providing citizens with a form of self defence against criminals, as they are the great equaliser and an excellent deterrent for potential criminals.
  4. The police should and must enforce the law, regardless of whether people say it is discriminatory.
  5. The age of consent in Britain should be raised to 18 years.
  6. I personally believe that only the Actus Reus of a crime should play a part in sentencing a punishment, rather than both the Actus Reus and Mens Rea.

I don’t think that obese people have a right to complain about Health problems (mental illness , sickness related to health etc) when they can simply change if they change their diet and workout.

As a gay person, I respect the fact that some people are against the LGBT community since I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think screaming "HOMOPHOBE" isn't going to solve anything.
I would also work with homophobes, but don't be offended when I decide not to befriend you or to keep you out of my personal life. I respect your opinion, but I think one of the most important things in a relationship is respect. If you can't respect me for who I am, then I can't see you as an important part of my life.

Unpopular opinion about opinions in general:

The moment you say 'I'm offended', your opinion no longer matters.

Too many people act like being offended makes someone else's opinion less valid. Too many people act like being offended gets you something that no one else has.

In short, if you are offended by someone else's opinion when they've made no direct attempt to offend you, you do not belong in an adult conversation.

I think that to cope with cyberbullying and bullying in general schools should be teaching self-love and how to handle bullying, not trying to stop the bullies. Not many people I know like that opinion.. ^^''

I think that to cope with cyberbullying and bullying in general schools should be teaching self-love and how to handle bullying, not trying to stop the bullies. Not many people I know like that opinion.. ^^''

The only way to handle it is through violence. Bullies only understand violence, so that's what you have to give them. Schools should teach students how to stand up for themselves and know when violence is necessary, not to indulge in narcissism.

Our family has a zero tolerance bullying policy. Some kids need to have their asses kicked. When I was little, my dad told me "If they dont listen, punch em. I'll handle your teachers."

I am telling my kids the same thing. If all else fails, talking, walking away, extending an olive branch, whatever, just break his or her nose.

I wish there was a dislike button. Id put my fist through the keyboard, Id smash that button so fast.

Cyberbullying and bully cannot be fought with self love. Yes, mental health is important. But need to teach confidence and competence, kids need to be able to shut bullying down, not skirt around it. Turning the other cheek doesnt mean "*shrug* oh wellll hit me again I guessss Im so nicceee muhhh"

It means stand up for yourself.

Since there's all these debates that happen here, I thought it would be a good idea to hand this off to you gents and... lents..?

Enjoy, and use responsibly.

I wish there was a dislike button. Id put my fist through the keyboard, Id smash that button so fast.

Cyberbullying and bully cannot be fought with self love. Yes, mental health is important. But need to teach confidence and competence, kids need to be able to shut bullying down, not skirt around it. Turning the other cheek doesnt mean "*shrug* oh wellll hit me again I guessss Im so nicceee muhhh"

It means stand up for yourself.
violence does not solve every issue in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back