• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Ulgaria, Adventures in a Grim World

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

swarmlord1231

Dalkenshir, despite being the city of hope, was nearly always surrounded by a pale gloom. The buildings in the entertainment districts were nearly always filled with lights though, that shone upon the street. Outside a seedy bar a beggar, covered in layers and layers in rags had his thin hand out, begging for any spare change through chocking gasps, meanwhile fliers advertised acts at the Dalkenshir Theater of Arts, mostly amazing performances from Madame Teriza, the grand illusionist. Merchants constantly tried to sell their wares, claiming magic cure-alls and rune empowered weapons.

In the middle of this strange district stood Dalkenshir University, it was a large building, built and rebuilt many times over, it was practically a large stone block that stretches in all cardinal directions. The garden outside had trees that bloomed and swayed in the warm wind that blew from the east. Ornate structures decorated the outside, statues of godlike beings looking down on those who entered and the courtyard was covered in busts of some of the greatest minds - be they philosopher, writer or mathematician - who had ever graced Ulgaria. The main bustle was inside one of the student rooms, where the famous Professor Gardon, was holding a lecture, an open door one where anyone may enter.

The good Professor was in the middle of the large oval classroom, he walked left to right, bouncing from different subject to different subject, from cooking, to mathematics. Though of course the topic that had the most interest was his many adventures "And so, there I was, kneeling in the mud before the Ogre warlord, he looked down at me with his disgusting smile, his teeth a disgusting mix of yellow, black and a putrid green. He said how he respected the strength I had shown, but how it had not been enough. And just as he was about to hit me I well.." The Professor gave a cough and looked to the side "..Kicked him where the sun don't shine." He gave a small chuckle at that "Let it be said, that I do now have good relations with the Ogres anymore. Shame, their kind, despite their might makes right culture and brutish personalities, could have been good help in adventures."

As many people commented on the Professor and his stories, and teaching methods, the Professor look around at those who were left and gave a small smile looking at them "
Well, don't be shy! I am still here and ready to tell more grand tales, or if you want to know anything in particular, I will gladly provide you with any knowledge. As we should all know, knowledge is power!"

==============================

Well folk, every story needs to start somewhere, sorry if it's not as big or flashy as you expected, but I always find beginnings to be the hardest part to write for me.

Whoever posts first goes first, but the person who posts should let two others post after them, before they post again, basic etiquette

Vox Angelis Vox Angelis @animegirl20 November Witch November Witch Nellancholy Nellancholy BuggaBoo BuggaBoo

'Shanti' - The Pilot

Mage.jpg

Location: Hungover at a restaurant patio. In the Uni classroom by the end.
Mentions: The others in the classroom.
Interactions: swarmlord1231 swarmlord1231

At the Uni Campus...

Earlier on the Patio...

In one corner the laughter overflowed momentarily overtaking the percussion, strings and brass instruments of the performers on the stage. The raucous mirth settled down and the chanting overtook the atmosphere now. As she turned to look the drumming upon the tables commenced in time with the chants. Cutlery, glasses and all bottled condiments bounced up and down upon said tables piling on more sounds into the cacaphony. At the epicenter, a triple arm wrestling competition was the focus and main event.

Grunts, growls and groans sounded out amongst an musclebound trio of: ogre, troll and a part-squid, part-human person. From red, hot faces of those that had placed bets, eyes buldged out, larger than the screeches that erupted from their throats. Neck veins popped up as wild, testerone-induced encouragement was thrusted forcefully onto each ones hopeful contenstant. Well, it seemed that there was a lot on the line here and a victory would yield a grand payout no doubt.

In another corner, several bodies writhed, sweaty in hot, musty darkness, the sounds of whatever was taking place was best drowned out for such noises probably belonged behind closed bedroom doors afterall. Two floors up a fight was breaking out. The floor beneath that, several folks danced and hung over the balcony, singing their own made up words to the song played below.

And there she was. On the ground floor, up on the stage, nearly half naked, trousers tied around her head, dancing away barefoot and singing along to "More Than You Know" a ragtime jaunt rising in popularity in the large urban areas. Her mates were on the dancefloor, some even more naked than she, spilling drinks this way and that, yet all the while, belting out the song off-key, spurning her on that much more--

"Excuse me, miss! Would you like some more coffee...?!"

The little green thing startled and nearly popped out of her seat. When she turned to face the waiter, her sunglasses lay askew, only one lens covered her eyes. She responded with a grumpy grumble. But hey, what did she expect? He was being all loud and up in her face because she was passing out on the patio table; he was just doing his job afterall.

"I said: 'would you like some more coffee?'" a twinkle of humour befell his brown eyes as she scrunched up her face, scratched her head and forced a smile.

"Uuuuuuughhhnnn... y-yeah. Yeah, ey that would be nice..."

The steam of the brown liquid wafted up and she took a deep inhale. "Rough night, eh...?"

"Rough...? Brother, you oughta seen what I woke up beside..."

"Hahahahahahah...! So mission accomplished then?" he placed her coffee cup back down gently upon the saucer.

"Welllll... let's just put it this way: any crash landing you can walk away from is always a good one, no?"

"Hahahahahah...! Touche, miss, touche. Ummm... here. Take a couple of these. It'll settle you down right. Go find an empty quiet classroom at the Uni. 15 min later you'll be golden again."

"Riiiiiight... how much?"

"On the house, of course...! But if you like them? I'm Danio. You know where to find me..." he smiled as he departed, brown eyes tossing her a wink.

She waved before readjusting her sunglasses and glancing downward. Twin yellowed pills bounced up and down in her hands,
"15 minutes, eh...?"

Her other hand deftly reached into her breast pocket and pulled out her tarnished, yet favourite pocket watch. Still early. Sugar was still en route. The little thing still had more than enough time to pop into the Uni for some quiet time.

Little green hand with fancy-assed painted rainbow nails lifted the coffee mug in salute. A quick shot of brown caffeinated liquid and the pills were gone.

Shanti couldn't help but grin a wide grin as she walked though the Uni campus. Today was a big, big day. She was supposed to meet her sister later today for the first time in months! It was always tough to co-ordinate Sugar's leaves with her own time, especially since she was normally up in The Prestidigitator flying around with her crew looking for their next score. But the stars aligned... and today was the day!!

Today's outfit made her definitely look as if she was not below the prestige of the esteemed place of higher learning. A dress! Yes, finally the little thing would be seen caught in a woman's dress proper! And a fancy yellow frilly one at that. And with a proper hat AND parasol to boot! Shoes of course were neatly shined and white stockings fresh and new. She didn't bother with the matching gloves for she wanted to flaunt her nails to her sister and any other onlooker for that matter. Normally wild and flowing cherry black hair was taut and rolled up In a proper bun, and she even splurged for flower decor. Face was made up nicely and she even bought a matching pair of tusk rings.

And of course, she wore a scarf. This one was knit of really soft and expensive wool. White and with pearlescent strands weaved between.

Yes she looked like a city woman proper ...save for the big brown, fur collared bomber jacket with the multiple worn yet cute and fancy patches stitched on them.
WingSlayer life, bitches! Hey she had to rep her crew!

But she didn't bless onlookers by wearing her loverly-loverly jacket. The diminutive female kept it clutched tight to her chest as she walked on, her parasol hooked in the crook of her arm. She didn't need the extra attention, she just needed a quiet classroom. But of course, that's not what she got.

She knew that voice. Loud, cheery and flowing, yet all the while, a bit self-indulged and pompous. Yes, Shanti talked a lot, but when it came to grandstanding, he took the cake. Oh she knew him alright. Gardon. Professor Gardon
something-something-else Moore.

As the students filed out, she politely nodded and waited by the side of the door to let them pass. When they finally emptied the classroom, she waltzed in daintily pointing in the big man's direction, ignorant to the fact that there was still stragglers seated at the tables.

"I'd like to know if it's true what they say about Ogres... is it really that big? I mean we get tales about how they just use it try to ram it down your throat or like how they just hold it over others before absolutely wrecking them with it. Oh but they swing it around as if it were a weapon itself, no? So tell me prof...

"Whose is bigger? Yours or the Ogres...?"

Blue gem-like eyes glinted with much humour. Yes, she had taken him up and read a recommended book he had written himself. Shanti even read some passages to her crew. The archaeological digs referred to in the book actually gave their Skycaptain an idea. Several weeks later they were victors to a long, lost spoils hidden for centuries yet revealed by the writings of a field researcher and University teacher. Thank you very much, Prof. Gardon Moore. Or as she knew him--

"Don-Don! Hey-hey-heeeeey! Relax, mate! I'm asking about how big are your EGOS...! Hahahahahahah!! What else would've I been referring to...? You should've seen the look upon your face... hahahah. So! Donnie-Boy has forgotten Shanti's barbs then, no? Well there, there, mate. She still has more for you! So!! How's a man doin' then? Very nice to sees ya, it is! Been a good minute, it has, eh Professor?"

Last edited:
Annastaria.png

Soft whispers danced in the shadows of the room's corners. There was no doubt about it, this artifact really was fueled with potent necromantic energies. Whether it was designed to be a cursed object or something that would provide the boon of eternal life, the Shadow Elf couldn't tell yet. It would be foolish of her to try just how powerful this sarcophagus really was. Ancient texts speak of people arising to the immortality of the gods after being buried inside a gold crested coffin, while other texts also claim that the gilded eternal rest cursed the greedy monarchs to a life of unrest, of undeath. There was little doubt in Annastaria's mind, she did manage to get her hands on the very object these texts refer to, from an ancient kingdom now long lost and buried into the sands.

Whether this wondrous item was actually a curse or a boon, she'll have to test it, as the sources describing this old object were conflicting with each other. The pale elf considered briefly the prospect of locking an actual live subject to test her theories. Nobody would miss a stray from the streets, but this could spell a lot of problems for her if things didn't go her way. That would jeopardize her studies of ancient artifacts in Dalkenshir.

With a snap of her fingers, a rush of howling winds slammed the coffin shut. The whispers were gone, and Annastaria's eyes returned to normal, her glowing eyes fading gently back to their natural green color, although her ghastly eyes looked far from normal to the humans or the ordinary elf. This was enough research for now. As much as it pained her to admit, she'll have to get a second opinion from someone else who would know about ancient magical objects. At the very least, this seemed like the safest course of action, considering the alternatives.

The darkened elf's gaunt fingers grabbed for her cloak by the door, swiftly donning the large piece of black cloth and slid up her hood. Time for a trip outside...

---------------------------------------

As expected from the entertainment district, it was noisy. Unsettling noisy. Why would scholars decide to build a university in the middle of a district full of lowlifes, debauchery and other sorts of loud individuals was beyond her. She probably would've spent more time in the respectable establishment if it wasn't for the hassle of crossing all those nosy folks on her way. Did they really thought she couldn't hear them, calling her things like 'strange', 'freaky', 'monstrous', nor did they think she couldn't feel their eyes full of suspicion and apprehension when they looked at her gaunt and tall figure, towering over most of the people she crossed. Just the more reasons to stay away from the mass of imbeciles...

It wouldn't be the first time the scholars of the university would see Annastaria in their halls though. While her visits were not frequent, she had come some times ever since she arrived in Dalkenshir to get her hands on research material, borrow a few books and such. She was known to keep mostly to herself though, with very few words to spare to others if they actually engaged in conversation.

Which was quite strange of the pale mage to head towards the loudest classroom. Once she arrived, Annastaria removed her hood, eyes scanning the people in the room. She recognized a few faces from her previous visits, but her ghostly green eyes settled on a pair standing in the middle of the classroom. A tall middle-aged man everyone called "professor" and a petite green woman of mixed blood. She knew of the two. The man, she saw him a few times already here, probably the one person who didn't seem adverse to talk to her during her previous visits. The orcish elf girl of dwarven size, she was the one who actually acquired the object that was mainly her reason to come here today.

Such a strange coincidence...

"Professor Moore." Her voice was deep and quiet as a whisper. "If you have a moment to spare, I need your opinion on an artifact I recently acquired. Do you know anything about what is presently known as 'The Gilded Death?"

Straight to the point, she didn't like wasting words on small talk, but her eyes lowered to Shanti, somehow expecting the loud-mouthed girl to chip into the discussion. At least that's the impression she got from the time they had met.

"-and so, this new method of inscription allows for far higher concentrations of data to be transmitted through an etheric circuit-"

"-newly-unearthed manuscripts elucidating the rituals surrounding Dolorian worship-"

"-during the buildup to the Klavian Border War-"

"-did you hear about Jared? Heard he's seeing an ogre now-"

Boring. So utterly boring. Rose Gelbe had little use for books and those who kept their noses buried in them. If she wasn't moving, constantly getting involved in people's most lurid affairs, the animating force that drove her grew restless. Or maybe that was just the consequence of coming to life after more than a decade of stagnation, watching the world move around you.

But visiting the major establishments of Dalkenshir were an essential part of the life as well. The privileged, the "intellectual". All of them had loose lips when they thought themselves in safe company.

And every now and then they'd let something slip. Something worth stealing. Something that needed guarding. Something that everyone coveted. And when these things were heard by the little doll, she would move.

Today, however, Dalkenshir University yielded little. As it often did. But before she left...well, maybe there was one more contact to try. The man with more mass in his muscles and his brain than common sense.

A resin figure that appeared to be standing motionless on one of the shelves in the lecture hall wobbled and stretched, immediately breaking into a sprint with the acceleration of a crossbow bolt, flashing along the length of the shelf. A tiny potted plant wobbled and spun as she ran by it, briefly tipping over the edge, and then thinking better of it as it settled back into position.

She leapt off the shelf, pressed her legs together, and landed with a click on Gardon's desk.

"Da, if I didn't already know you I'd ask if you fight as good as you boast. But since I do, I'll just ask you: got any plans for next time you throw yourself into the fire for some dusty old artifact? You'll need a little friend to pull you back out when you get in over your head, Professor, and I am always available at my usual rate."

Maestra Marionna

Maestra was feeling just a little pent up in her little cottage. It had been a few days since she had stepped foot outside. Plus, she could use a few items to replenish her supplies. Some more fabric, sewing needles, thread, leather… Oh! And food! She’d also been out of that for almost 12 hours now. She could probably use some more of that. It was definitely secondary though. She’d leave Harmony to watch the house and take Symphony into town with her. She held the doll’s hand and skipped happily towards the town.

After some time, she’d made it inside. It wasn’t often she entered Dalkenshir, so like normal, she would get distracted by the other various shops and places that wanted her money. Symphony would pull her away though, and make sure the girl stayed on track… Well, mostly… The girl would end up near the university this time, and wondered if they had any books on different sewing techniques, fashion, or anything along the lines of those subjects. So, she would venture inside.

Although, while attempting to find the library, she would stumble upon an odd scene! A lecture was seemingly being interrupted by a strange group of people. Maestra was put off a little bit, and nervous seeing the classroom setting, and a group of people. Having a socially awkward past that had bullying within it brought forward uncomfortable memories and her subconscious related settings like these to those feelings… It made her quite nervous.

But it all vanished once she saw an all too familiar sight. A living doll! One she’d only seen once or twice in the past. Totally looking past other faces that may also be familiar, she ran forward and scooped the small doll up in her hands.

“Rosy! There you are! It’s been ages since you said you’d come visit and you haven’t! I’m not done studying you yet!”

She said, oblivious to the interruption she may or may not be causing. Also due to the fact that she may or may not have remembered things wrong… She looked around with the doll still scooped up in her hands, only now realizing what she had done. She looked embarrassed but offered a greeting to those she recognized, and hugged the small figure against her chest, similar to how a young girl would hold a teddy bear.

“Wait, it’s not just Rosy… I know alot of you.”

Symphony, her life-sized living doll, just face palmed.

Nellancholy Nellancholy

The good professor smiled as he looked at the people surrounding him. He jumped a bit hearing Shantis voice. Turning around and taking a young at the young orc lady. Adjusting his glasses a bit and looking at her as she spoke. His face turning red at her comments before she cut him off. "Very amusing, Shanti, how very amusing. Almost as funny as the time I had my head cutoff by a trap while exploring a temple." He would say with a soft scoff as he turned around. "But yes indeed it has been a while. The Artifact we recovered together was quite peculiar if I may say so. Quite an exciting trip that one. I don't think my poor back has ever healed properly." He would say the last part with some venom in his voice, rubbing the place where his back supposedly hurt.

The professor jumped a bit as a new voice addressed him, turning towards a pale elf. "
Ah it's you! I thought I recognized someone." He would say with a warm grandfather like smile giving a small bow. "Always an honor to be in the company of an elf! Though I hear the Shadow Elves haven't been doing great recently." Before he could continue on his tangent he was interrupted by her question "Ah yes the Gilded Death. Strange thing really, I myself and some of my colleagues took a good look at it. From what I can tell it's old. Very old, perhaps used by the Faceless even."

He could feel eyes on him. As if he was the only one who knew what that was and sighed. "
The Faceless were a race created by the Titans. During the war with the Old Ones, the Faceless were the Titans researchers on all things magical." It was said with such quick ease that he had to stop himself for a moment. "From what me and my colleagues can gather, nearly everything the mortal races know of magic was taught to them by the Facaless, or at least stolen from them. The art of necromancy itself was a completely unique creation by one of these entities, though I have heard conflicting reports that it was a Titan who created necromancy." He let the words hang in the air. He quickly turned around and looked through some papers. "The artifact is strange, the mages can feel the magic from it. But it doesn't seem to be a weapon or tool. It seems almost like.. a piece. A piece to some.. larger mechanism almost."

The professor, again, nearly leaped out of his skin as he felt something fast approaching him, hearing it land on his desk. He looked at the strange little.. human? Dwarf? Well, he could figure it out later. "
Ah yes. I could always use some help! Though I will pay you perhaps, AFTER, we are done with the mission and it yields something. And--" The conversation was quickly interrupted by a girl who addressed the lady that landed on his desk, he saw a large doll following the girl and his eyes widened. "Fascinating! Quite well crafted if I do say so myself. As a lover of golemancy and other crafting artifices this is quite brilliant! A work of yours I presume?" Gardon asks turning towards Maestra.

"
Well since you all seem so eager. I do have a proposition for you to help me!" He would say. Oblivious to any conversations going on around him.

-------

He had told the group to follow him into his study room. Around said room countless books scattered around, hundreds of sheets of paper were scattered on the tables, desks and even floors. Alchemical vials stood on the table too, long complicated tubes dripping slowly into them, creating weird mixtures that varied in color. The wall was covered in books too, thousands of them almost like a library, they were tied to many subjects mainly zoology, paleontology, geography and archeology.

Gardon pulled out a large map of the city and coughed to draw everyones attention. "
Let me explain. So this is Dalkenshir, our dear city, jewel of Ulgaria. As we know it's divided into the richer districts, the smaller poorer districts and the quarantined districts. Now, what my colleagues recently discovered is that..." He waited a moment before dropping the news "There is indeed something under the sewers. Apparently there are remnants of old buildings that seem of Titan make. A city underneath a city if you will, hidden deep under the cities sewers. Now I assume nobody here wants to go through the sewers, me included, so I asked for alternatives."

He pointed at a place on the map. It was located right in the Quarantined districts, famed for being monster, plague, curse and every other kind of haunted on can imagine. Entry tere was illegal by all accounts except for Dalkenshir officials or those who could somehow be allowed to enter. "
Here. From what my contacts tell me, in this place we will still go into the sewers, but instead of walking through muck we will get close to the edge of the sewer system from here. From there we would, and need, to climb down into the dark depths of this underground forgotten city." Gardon sighed. "It will be dangerous, think of the knowledge we will learn! Think of the secrets we will uncover!" His enthusiasm dropped as he saw the disinterested faces everyone wore, and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "...And yes... there will be treasure and money to earn. Probably.. Maybe.."

"Blyat-" Rose definitely sensed the presence coming up behind her, having made no effort to conceal herself. It wasn't some kind of special ability, just the natural vigilance that came from her line of work.

She could have hopped out of Maestra's path easily the moment her arms moved, but somehow...she let it happen. Just like that, she was swept up in the dollmaker's grip, held close to her. It wasn't a bad sensation, but...

"Ah, we meet again, kosechka." If she could sigh, she would. She rarely saw someone's face more than twice: once to negotiate payment, and once to claim it. Even so... "I told you what happens if you call me that again, hm?" In a blur, a tiny, perfectly-scaled revolver appeared in Rose's hand, pointed up at Maestra.

Really, a bullet to the jaw would barely be a deterrent to her acting the way she did. Rose aimed a little to the side, aiming at Symphony. She cocked the hammer, holding it just long enough to make Maestra uncomfortable before pulling her thumb back slowly, releasing it without firing. "I'll let you off this time. Maybe you remember next time." Of course, she was showing her receptiveness to there being a "next time" to begin with.

As Gardon led the group into the study, Rose let Maestra continue carrying her, if she was so inclined to.

Despite her general indifference towards academia, Rose couldn't help looking around and taking the sight in. Having a collection of something was indeed proof of one's success - to be able to take what you wanted and hold it.

As Gardon laid out his plan, she let out a little scoff. "Raiding tomb not enough for you, professor? I should have known you planned on doing something under guard's nose. Of course, you need lady with good aim and better looks who cannot get sick. I am in, and I'll make sure to take my payment after, one way or other."

swarmlord1231 swarmlord1231 November Witch November Witch

Maestra Marionna

Maestra didn’t seem phased by the threat the small doll threw her way whatsoever. It seemed less likely that she didn’t take it seriously and more like she just didn’t really hear or fully understand the full weight of the words behind what Rose was saying. There was a clear air of day dreamy, care free-ness about her. Like something one would expect a child to have. She tilted her head at the doll, accidentally cutting off the line of sight for Rose to see her doll.

“That you’ll shoot my other eye out?”

She questioned, as if she genuinely couldn’t remember what Rose had said.

“Who’s Kosechka? Oh, is that a nickname for me? We must already be such good friends then!”

Maestra was too caught up in her conversion with Rose to even hear Gardon speaking to her. She didn’t hear a word he said to her. But it seemed her life-sized doll had, and it would nod at his question, answering in the affirmative.

“Hmm? Remember what?”

Maestra asked the doll. She’d been jumping all over the place with how she responded to the doll, but that was how she did things. She’d continue to hug Rose to her chest with both arms around her, but if Rosy tried to get free, she would likely be able to after some struggling.

“Help you?”

Maestra turned to Gardon and acknowledged him for the first time.

She would listen intently to Gardon explain his plan and nod at the end, seemingly satisfied with what she heard. Albeit a little apprehensive and nervous. But not about the mission.

“Well, I guess I can help… I’m just not used to being around so many people…”

Maestra was already the farthest away from the group. And as she spoke, and more people turned to look at her, she took another nervous step back… If Rose was still in her grasp, she’d hug the small doll tighter in an attempt to calm herself. Her living doll would stand beside her and place a hand on Maestra’s shoulder. It seemed to ease her some, but she still seemed nervous…

Nellancholy Nellancholy swarmlord1231 swarmlord1231

1712880133083.png

The Shadow Elf pondered in silence, taking in the information Gardon revealed about the Gilded Death while he was swarmed with the others. So this was indeed an artifact dating back from the Titans' Era. Her face didn't reveal it, but she was fascinated in her own detached way by the knowledge of studying something this ancient. It would seems like her trip to this city was worth it after all. Sometimes, it pays to heed rumors.

Annastaria took a few step backs to leave the noisy fellows have their way with the professor and each other. She wasn't much of a crowd person. Actually, she was quite upset by how loud some of them were. She was actually just about the leave to group in their musings before the professor called out for the group to join him in his study. Quietly, she nodded and followed in tow.

She walked around the study, eyeing the various research materials spread across the room. While the books were of no subject that mattered much to her, the tall pale elf took interest in the alchemical mixtures dripping from the complex tubes into vials on the table. And while she studied the room, her winged snake's eyes seemed interested at the action around the table, with the maps and the professor explaining his plans for a new venture.

Sewers... from what she heard, it surely couldn't be as bad as the putrid swamps of the Shadowlands. She wasn't intimidated by the prospect of getting dirty. She was raised in the tribal clans. They spent their days with knees and hands in the mud looking for the bones of the restless souls. It sure was a far cry from the haughty but reasonably dignified spellbinder she was today, with robes befit of an Archon.

Either way, the prospect of finding more information about the Titans was of great interest to Annastaria. If she was lucky, maybe she could learn more about the Faceless, their magics, their artifacts. She could even find some answered about this Gilded Death. What they would find during this expedition was surely worth more than said payment, but she wouldn't refuse any sum of money either. She could put it to good use later on. Investment, the humans loved to talk about.

"I shall accompany you on your next venture."

'Shanti' - The Pilot

Mage.jpg

In the classroom...

Big blue eyes crossed as small full lips pouted. Was that an attitude she just received from the good prof?

The little thing plucked the hat off her head and held it by the brim at her waist. Her other hand reached up to her scalp and scratched as she thought of a quick retort. But instead the good prof turned his back on her. A breathe she took before laying into him but immediately he cut her off and began spouting off about how the last excursion had done something or other to his back. Shanti grinned, her tusk rings glinting almost as bright as the mischievous look in her eyes,
"Well now, Don-Don that's on you, love. You know better than to lift with your back. Why you would ever want to ever have tried to pick her up is beyond me. My sister is a bigger than a Teluvian ox, no? Hahahahahha--"

Just then she felt the heaviness of expectant eyes fall upon her. A lone dark brow raised as she eyed the onlooker up and down with a catty look upon her face. And to make eye contact with such a thing she did have to look up. Way up. Anastaria stood more than 3 heads taller than she. A moment longer she held the disdaining look directed at the tall female then burst out into laughter, the fabric of her yellow dress moving up and down with her mirth. The elf was always so serious that she just had to annoy her. It was alll in good fun.

"Stari...! Love, you do not recognize me? It's me. Shanti..." the little thing took in another look up and down at the elf, this time with a generous amount eyeballing. A lower lips she bit, "...because wow... I sure do recognize you..."

Another bout of laughter she let out as the pair completely ignored her. It was par for the course. Up and onto the top of a desk she scambled and sat down, short legs dangling over the edge and kicking gently. The words Gardon spoke were going over her head. Not because she was not paying attention. No, a hungover mercenary had little by the way of comprehension so early in the day. But she ended up shrugging and following along with the others into the study anyways.

Here it was much more quiet. There was no doubt she woud touch and handle all the most interesting things here, talking off anyone's ear with all her comments and asking all her inane questions. But no, instead she sat there, eyes half-closed, head lolling as she barely registered a word the prof said. Several times her head slowly descended and fell upon Annastaria only to have her whip back, pushed away hard or not. Blue eyes would snap open then she would shake her head and smile.
Several nods she would give as if she was paying attention only drift off again.

Soft little snores escaped her then she sat bolt upright chortling and flailing, "
I'm up! I'm up! We are still on course, cap'n...! We are headed due south, ETA--"

Her voice cut off as she became aware of her immediate surroundings. Big blue eyes blinked several times. A sheeish smile parted her lips as she gave her head a shake. Then once more she perked up as she heard a few others talking. It was a vague jumble in her ears yet she had made out that Annastaria had accepted some kind of offer? Suddenly she raised her hand, "Oh oh oh oh...! If Stari is in, then so am I...! I'll have to meet with my sister today for drinks, but after that I am sooooo in...!"

She had no clue what she had just agreed upon, but a confident nod she gave the elf beside her and for good measure a wink and soft grin too. A pleased look sprouted upon her face as she turned to Gardon. One leg crossed over the other and she placed her hands upon her knees as she leaned in,
"Soooooo Donnie, where we going again...?"

Gardon had sighed at Shanties question. The walk to the quarantined districts was a quiet one. The fog hung over the city even more seemingly as the Professor had led them to a break in the wall and simply said "This is the only way inside.. citizens like us aren't really allowed inside so don't stick close to the walls. Or the guards will have... questions. I do not need a fight with the council."

To say the Quarantined District was strange was an understatement. It was crowded with buildings, most so tightly packed next to each other that they seemingly blended together. The light they had brought, lanterns provided by the professor, that had shined brightly before now seemed more dull and pale, almost washed out. The architecture of the place was sickening, angles seemed off, if only slightly, roads sloped to one side subtly, so subtly one would not notice it, but staring at the buildings only made one somewhat queasy.

But the worst part, was the silence. Each step seemingly echoed through the entire district which itself was nearly the size of half the city. The silence and the washed out light seemed to play on ones mind. Gardon constantly looked around, staring at seemingly random points on walls or open windows as if he had seen something before shaking his head. "
Blasted place." He muttered looking around nervously. He stared at a map of the Quarantined district, he would sometimes let others look at the map, the map was standard though some of the sections were covered in bright red ink, with words like "Danger" and "Do Not Go There"

Gardon looked at the group, as they apparently were arriving closer to their destination "
Stay close together." He would say, looking around before adding something else "And beware the alleyways. One of them around here has a nasty habit of letting people in, but not letting them out." He would say with a shiver as he seemingly was searching for the right place before he found it. A simple marker manhole cover, he called the group over and took a deep breath.

------------------

The sewers were disgusting, the smell made one retch from the moment it hit ones face. It didn't help that the water was filled with excrement, dead rats and a few human (or at least humanoid) body parts floating around. The sewer tunnels were extremely wide, some were clearly more modern, built in the last decade at least, their stones while dirty not as tainted as the older ones. Speaking of the older tunnels they were wider, some leading to large circular chambers, others seemingly leading to smaller tunnels that became smaller and until it seemed even the water could barely pass through them. Dalkenshir, especially in these Quarantined places, had such quirks.

Gardon moved closer to the edge as he stared at the map, stopping near the blackness, waiting for the others to come.

The sewage system seemingly connected to this one point, as there was a dark abyss leading down, a waterfall of foul sludge falling down, the smell so disgusting Gardon pinched his nose as he looked down, taking out some gear for hiking, looking into the pit and turning around to the group. "
Alright, I led us all here, but I think it's time for one of you to be brave!" He says pointing at the group and looking down at the pit, he points behind himself with a smirk "Who's the lucky person that's climbing down there first! Come on I know one of you wants to do it!" He says with a chuckle, he would look at Shanti with a smirk. "What about you Shanti? You are already foul-mouthed, you won't mind climbing down into a shallow lake of filth right?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back