Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

Surely you two have better things to do then mock the low hanging, already beaten to death, fruit that is the Furry and Warrior Cat fandoms. Let them at it. If they are having fun, who am I to stop them?

Back on Topic, something that I have only really noticed on here is very over the top, complicated character sheets. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredibly talented coders here that have created beautiful works that display information clearly, but once I start having to click into 4 tabs just to see your characters history, and squint through extravagant light blue fonts, all while multiple gifs flash 2 second loops on the borders, it can get a bit much.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChefTony said:
Back on Topic, something that I have only really noticed on here is very over the top, complicated character sheets. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredibly talented coders here that have created beautiful works that display information clearly, but once I start having to click into 4 tabs just to see your characters history, and squint through extravagant light blue fonts, all while multiple gifs flash 2 second loops on the borders, it can get a bit much.
I prefer complexity in character sheets.

[QUOTE="Lord Shaxx]I prefer complexity in character sheets.

[/QUOTE]
But it IS annoying when the CS is like this or this or with a font that makes the CS invisible.

[QUOTE="An Unknown Person]But it IS annoying when the CS is like this or this or with a font that makes the CS invisible.

[/QUOTE]
I said complexity not stupidity, placing font below four generally doesn't help anything.

[QUOTE="Lord Shaxx]I said complexity not stupidity, placing font below four generally doesn't help anything.

[/QUOTE]
Oh, my mistake sir, should I just remove my stupidity off from this site?

[QUOTE="An Unknown Person]Oh, my mistake sir, should I just remove my stupidity off from this site?

[/QUOTE]
Did i say you were stupid?

[QUOTE="An Unknown Person]*Lung cancer cough part 2* Sarcasm, sir.

[/QUOTE]
But really, who thinks placing their font at 2 and the colour to near enough white is remotely helpful?

[QUOTE="Lord Shaxx]Furries are... sadly real.
Note: I am uneducated so i have no idea of what anthropomorphized means

[/QUOTE]
It means when you give human characteristics to non human creatures.

So basically when you make animals act like humans your anthromoporphizing them

[QUOTE="An Unknown Person]So Furry fandom in just 1, JUST 1 Website?

[/QUOTE]
They had other genres as well but yeah about half of the roleplays on the site where animal based.

[QUOTE="Lord Shaxx]But really, who thinks placing their font at 2 and the colour to near enough white is remotely helpful?

[/QUOTE]
The people that think they have the 'perfect' CS?

yinyang64 said:
Ditching. It always seems to happen so early on too.
I don't mind it so much as long as you let me know your leaving. Mostly because it happens to me all the time I'll realize me and my partner aren't compatible only after we get started. Or halfway through the planning process where we just want different things.

Usually I tell them though.

readingraebow said:
I don't mind it so much as long as you let me know your leaving. Mostly because it happens to me all the time I'll realize me and my partner aren't compatible only after we get started. Or halfway through the planning process where we just want different things.
Usually I tell them though.
Yeah, I mean moreso in the cases when they outright bail on you without even giving a warning.

Ech. Admittedly, ditching is a little bit of a bad habit of mine. Depression and anxiety are not your friends.

While they don't exactly annoy me, per se, the two types of roleplays I'm least fond of are slice-of-life and romance. Granted, I fricking love me some romance, give me that shit. But in the form of a subplot. I don't want some love story that's been done to death being the entire drive of my roleplay, or where all the drama comes from all the reasons they can't be together. Yawn. Give me something dynamic, a relationship that develops not because it drives the plot, but because the plot creates circumstances and development that causes them to possibly get together. Possibly. As far as slice-of-life goes, I'm not here to roleplay as somebody else in the same world I already live in. That just sounds so boring to me I could fall asleep thinking about it. Granted, I'm sure there are perfectly good roleplayers for both out there--it's just not for me.

Pet peeves are another story. Godmoding/metagaming I can forgive--it's the hard-headedness of people when you politely point out these errors that pisses me off, especially when they turn around and whine how no one wants to roleplay with them afterwards. Like hello?? Had this happen a few times, and it really makes me leery of roleplaying with less experienced roleplayers, which is unfair to those who actually want to learn.

On the other end of the spectrum, elitism. I CANNOT STAND, in any shape or form, roleplayers who act like they're "better" because they've been playing for X years or have studied some fandom or another to its bones. ESPECIALLY when those people try to act like someone can't play [insert character name/archetype here] because "they're the best at it, so they just won't roleplay with someone else playing that role." This was something I found more on Tumblr than anywhere else but it is such arrogant bullshit (to quote one person: "it really bothers me when I see people roleplaying X because honestly they're really not that good at it and they don't know X like I do"). Also when said elitists diss your roleplay ideas outright, regardless of how good or bad they are.

MiracleKa said:
Granted, I fricking love me some romance, give me that shit. But in the form of a subplot. I don't want some love story that's been done to death being the entire drive of my roleplay, or where all the drama comes from all the reasons they can't be together. Yawn. Give me something dynamic, a relationship that develops not because it drives the plot, but because the plot creates circumstances and development that causes them to possibly get together. Possibly.
This. Just.... this. This is my problem with most romance rps. I want there to be this big grand plot with war, betrayal, intrigue, fighting scenes and heavy subject matters. Then it just turns into this sappy romance that I desperately am trying to divert back to the main plot. No. Our characters will not be acting all lovey dovey right now, they are in the middle of a war! They may feel something for each other, but they are not making kissy faces at each other. Keep the romance as a subplot and we will be fine.

This. Just.... this. This is my problem with most romance rps. I want there to be this big grand plot with war, betrayal, intrigue, fighting scenes and heavy subject matters. Then it just turns into this sappy romance that I desperately am trying to divert back to the main plot. No. Our characters will not be acting all lovey dovey right now, they are in the middle of a war! They may feel something for each other, but they are not making kissy faces at each other. Keep the romance as a subplot and we will be fine.
CanIpleaselikethismultipletimes

Oh look, it's an interest check for that fandom that you like. That really light hearted thing. Excitement rising.

Days pass. Seems like it'll be a pleasant experience.

Topic goes up. Someone immediately rushes in and forces their brooding OP teenager with a billion powers and abilities despite having no real formal training or reason for them. Or even the time alive required to learn all of that. Yet hey, accepted. Because people don't even bother to reject applications and a lot of the time I doubt they even read them. Which begs the question; why bother?

Touched on quite a few things in here that a lot of people have issues with but the main one that's bugging me right now is that people need to keep in the spirit of source material. I don't mean exactly, there's room for everyone's own input or twist on an existing franchise. That's perfectly fair. Just not when it completely betrays everything it stands for just because some people can't understand that there are more types of characters than "brooding edgelord seeking revenge" and "brooding edgelord battling their inner darkness because whatever I dunno man".

Edit: Glad to see this was mentioned a few pages back. I needed to vent, I'm salty right now.

Everyone's going to kill me for this, but people who treat one-liners like the worst thing in the world. Sure, you can't get much out of a one-liner, but I'm never in the mood to write and read a giant (10+ lines) wall of text either.

Scylla said:
Everyone's going to kill me for this, but people who treat one-liners like the worst thing in the world. Sure, you can't get much out of a one-liner, but I'm never in the mood to write and read a giant (10+ lines) wall of text either.
I agree. Sometimes it is a simple plot that can move forward with one liners. I just hate it when something important or very dramatic is happening and they can only add. "John sighed.". That is just me though. And if you disagree with me, you are dumb because my opinions have more value than yours. Just kidding :P .

Scylla said:
I also agree with you. There are many people who need to learn that length does not equal quality. Sure, one liners aren't usually amazing posts, but I'd rather get one paragraph that progresses the story than a five paragraph post where virtually nothing happens at all.

True that. Once had someone reply with roughly five hundred words. 497 were nothing but thoughts. The other three? "No," she said.

Having said that, I do find it a little annoying when the RP starts out with posts in which a lot happens and my RP partner slowly starts posting less and less; if you have a response, some though and something the other person can work with, it's actually quite hard to have only one sentence in my experience. Though I suppose that's also largely personal preference.

The things I hate in role-plays are usually to do with the characters, there are a few things about the role-players and the way role-plays are laid out though.

• Characters who "forgive" instantly. If two characters are arguing, it is the worst thing in the world for me if one of them turns around and goes "yeah, you're right" without any explanation. Obviously, if it fits the characters personality and the way the plot is developing, go ahead. But if you write that your character has a had time forgiving people and then a few posts later in the role-play you forgive someone after your character is given a crap excuse for said argument (or whatever). Drives me crazy.
  • Similar to the point above - people who don't stick to the character's personality. I've seen a lot of people on various RP websites who make decisions in the role-play based on their own moral compass and not their characters.
  • I hate it when people write out 500 words and then expect you to do the same. Fair enough, you need something to work with, but as @MiracleKa said, depression and anxiety/other mental health disorders are crap to work with and sometimes I just can't fathom opening my laptop for a week, let alone writing out three paragraphs. If this happens, I'll always let you know, but don't get bitchy because I take a while to reply - sometimes I'll have a paragraph or two in the making over the course of a day or two before I post my reply.
  • People who use so much colour and effects in their role-plays. I personally prefer the simple font, easy to read font size and the generic plot, character sheet and any other relevant information. I don't want 10 tabs that takes me to the economy and politics of the world we are roleplaying in.

I think I'm done.

@Karaleigh yeah I find frustrating when people just resolve the conflict of the roleplay in like a post and then get confused when your angry.

Like wait but I won so we don't have to fight / work on the mystery / do whatever we were supposed to do.

I'm like yes that's fantastic for you but NOW WE CAN'T ROLEPLAY.

because there is nothing for our characters to DO.

Like I do not understand people who think you can win at roleplaying in general. It's typically seen more in fantasy or superhero roleplays but it's like.

Roleplaying isn't like getting into a fight at recess.

You don't get a medal for beating all the bad guys.

Just you get shunned because you have effectively left no one else with anything to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back