Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

WanderingJester said:
Dagnabit Jessica.
wpid-4731188_orig.jpg
You, sir. You are amazing.

I made a top 5 from my Book of Grievances.

5 - The roleplayer who suggests your next move. I'm capable of thinking for myself, thank you.

4 - The purple prose maniac. 50 pages of nosense that has no relevance to the story are unnecessary and often quite boring to read through.

3 - The pesky Godmoder, for when n°5 didn't work out as well as planned.

2 - The plothole. So how exactly did you suddenly traverse 3 kingdoms, two oceans and that loose stone in the road? Why is that ancient superweapon of massive awesomeness and glory in your pocket? How deep is that pocket, anyway? I have some bodies to dispose of.

1 - The ride-along who contributes nothing to the story, but will complain when he didn't enjoy the way it was going. Guess what you had to do, then. Just do it. Guess.

Roleplays where there is no logical way for my character to come in.

Example: Character A sat on the mountain looking over the horizon for companionship.

One word replies. Just one word.

sarc said:
Oh I got another one, when people use the conditional tense for clauses that aren't conditional
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. Is that a common occurrence that I've been fortunate enough to miss? Or did you just experience it recently? I'm curious about whether you have a specific example, since I'm having trouble picturing how someone would apply a conditional tense to a statement that wasn't conditional.

[QUOTE="Inner Power]Roleplays where there is no logical way for my character to come in.
Example: Character A sat on the mountain looking over the horizon for companionship.

One word replies. Just one word.

[/QUOTE]
Better yet, you open a rp with a logical place for a player to come in, but they put their character in a completely different location for no reason. (And then you have your character get some contrived reason for going to where the other character is, only to have the other player make their character go somewhere else in the next post.) That's happened more times than care to recall (>_>)

ApfelSeine said:
Better yet, you open a rp with a logical place for a player to come in, but they put their character in a completely different location for no reason. (And then you have your character get some contrived reason for going to where the other character is, only to have the other player make their character go somewhere else in the next post.) That's happened more times than care to recall (>_>)
Yes! So annoying.

ApfelSeine said:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. Is that a common occurrence that I've been fortunate enough to miss? Or did you just experience it recently? I'm curious about whether you have a specific example, since I'm having trouble picturing how someone would apply a conditional tense to a statement that wasn't conditional.
Simplest example I can think of:

"She would have brown hair."

That's the whole setence, with nothing preceding or following it to indicate what condition the color of her hair depends on.

Besides descriptions, I also see it with actions, such as "She would take a drink."

Again, with no condition provided that would make the sentence make sense.

I haven't seen anyone on this site do this (although I haven't been active here very long), but I see it constantly in other roleplaying communities.

sarc said:

That's the whole setence, with nothing preceding or following it to indicate what condition the color of her hair depends on.

Besides descriptions, I also see it with actions, such as "She would take a drink."

I haven't seen anyone on this site do this (although I haven't been active here very long), but I see it constantly in other roleplaying communities.
Ah yes I know exactly what you're talking about. I believe that's a way that some people actually RP. rather than it being in past tense or even present tense, they type it up like that. I really don't understand why but it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

sarc said:

I usually take that as the person isn't a native English speaker and their confusing tenses when translating their posts. So it doesn't actually bother me.

nerdyfangirl said:
I usually take that as the person isn't a native English speaker and their confusing tenses when translating their posts. So it doesn't actually bother me.
That's the thing, I only ever see this from native speakers; I can only assume they saw somebody else doing it and figured that's how you're supposed to write when you roleplay, and never bothered to check other sources, which just makes me wonder who the first person to write this way was, and why they decided to write that way

sarc said:

Those are so annoying!

sarc said:
That's the thing, I only ever see this from native speakers; I can only assume they saw somebody else doing it and figured that's how you're supposed to write when you roleplay, and never bothered to check other sources, which just makes me wonder who the first person to write this way was, and why they decided to write that way
It could just be younger players too. When people start out they tend not to notice the various kinds of writing tenses. If it bothers you I'd just point it out to them - whether they're native speakers or not - it's such a small issue that it's likely they just don't know any better. So your doing them a favor by asking them for clarification.

nerdyfangirl said:
It could just be younger players too. When people start out they tend not to notice the various kinds of writing tenses. If it bothers you I'd just point it out to them - whether they're native speakers or not - it's such a small issue that it's likely they just don't know any better. So your doing them a favor by asking them for clarification.
I mean you're right, it IS totally a small thing, I just think it's weird; and I'd honestly feel like a jerk even bringing it up, especially since it doesn't actually hurt my ability to have fun writing with that person.

On the other hand, if they're doing it out of ignorance, maybe I should tell them? I dunno

sarc said:
I mean you're right, it IS totally a small thing, I just think it's weird; and I'd honestly feel like a jerk even bringing it up, especially since it doesn't actually hurt my ability to have fun writing with that person.
On the other hand, if they're doing it out of ignorance, maybe I should tell them? I dunno
Well it's a matter of judging their maturity level to a certain extent. Some people welcome positive feedback because they genuinely want to improve their writing and some people get horribly offended by anything approaching a negative reaction.

So I'd consider their general personality and then just start with a question. Not saying - this is wrong for XXX reasons. Just I'm sorry but could you maybe clarify this system a little bit. When you say her hair would be black - do you mean it's not black now or she's changing it or what?

That way your giving them a kind of back-handed heads up that it might be confusing without being a jerk about it.

Overuse of ellipses. Not necessarily in terms of frequency, depending on the situation, but how long some players like to make them. Just use three dots, please. It can also be a tad annoying to see them break apart each word or two in a sentence. Maybe it's just a minor nitpick of mine, but I thought I'd add it in here.

[QUOTE="Sibylline Oracle]Overuse of ellipses. Not necessarily in terms of frequency, depending on the situation, but how long some players like to make them. Just use three dots, please. It can also be a tad annoying to see them break apart each word or two in a sentence. Maybe it's just a minor nitpick of mine, but I thought I'd add it in here.

[/QUOTE]I can see why that would be aggravating but imo it helps to indicate the length of the pause (if, in fact, they're using it to indicate a pause rather than trailing off). For example, I read "Um... I guess" as having maybe a second-long pause, whereas "Um...... I guess" reads as quite a bit longer, possibly with some awkward fidgeting in there too. Idk, maybe it's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ItsCursorBby said:
I can see why that would be aggravating but imo it helps to indicate the length of the pause (if, in fact, they're using it to indicate a pause rather than trailing off). For example, I read "Um... I guess" as having maybe a second-long pause, whereas "Um...... I guess" reads as quite a bit longer, possibly with some awkward fidgeting in there too. Idk, maybe it's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If it is used like that than it is acceptable in my book. For a longer sentence I believe if someone does this "I'll... Get.... You... Grrrrr... Fool..." then it will kind of look strange. It'd be better to break it up into something like "I'll... Get..." he stopped for a moment to catch his breath "You... Fool..." before he slowly made his advance to whoever. Detailing what happens in between can help to clarify the situation and now he has reason to use more ellipses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the thing I hate the most.. well maybe not HATE but it really annoys me, is when I work really hard on a reply, and then the other person will just completely do a 180 from where we were.

Like, if say we were in the middle of fighting or something, the next time they'll post it's all the sudden "let's go cook or have sex or something"

melliex said:
I think the thing I hate the most.. well maybe not HATE but it really annoys me, is when I work really hard on a reply, and then the other person will just completely do a 180 from where we were.
Like, if say we were in the middle of fighting or something, the next time they'll post it's all the sudden "let's go cook or have sex or something"
Highly annoying. I can relate. One time I wrote with someone on a thread where one of my characters, the beastly antagonist, engaged the party in battle. I mean it was the start of it in the middle of the night. Next thing I know that person made it morning in their post AND said my character the antagonist, who was a pivotal part of story had died.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back