• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Twisted Interest Check

PaddieCake

The Piggie Lord

newcreate.php

Introduction
The night air was cool as a strange figure walks along the tall, damp grass. Its shape cannot be made out, only the bland silhouette created by the intense darkness. Two green eyes watched the stranger carefully. It wasn't often they got visitors.

The stranger seemed to have heard something, turning around the figure spotted the curious green eyes and walked over.

"Where am I?" The stranger asked the observer, confusion and fear on his face, for now the observer could see it was indeed a 'he'. The observer's green eyes sparkled with amusement and delight, a sly grin sprawling across his face.

The stranger looked at him, swallowing nervously. "I...I didn't mean to bother you, I just woke up here... I'm a little...confused..." His voice tapered off, the grin making him uncomfortable.

The green-eyed observer merely smiled on. "Well, my friend, that is up to you." He said, adjusting something atop his head. "Just be warned, many a creature will find you absolutely....delicious." he grinned, disappearing into the darkness and leaving the stranger more confused, and afraid, than before.

Plot
You are either a "nightmare'" or a "dreamer". Most Nightmares are inherent to the strange world known as "Twisted". This is name given to the strange dream-like realm by the first person to enter it. Dreamers are those who stumble upon the strange world of Twisted, usually in their sleep. The main goal of the Dreamers is to escape back to their world, some choose to stay and eventually become Nightmares, while others stay and seek to create a safe haven for the Dreamers who won't, or can't, leave Twisted. Dreamers gain abilities when they first enter Twisted, while Nightmares are born with them.

More will be explained below!
Rules

✧First and foremost read everything there is a lot of information that I have built up over previous incarnations of this RP, and while I may end up altering things as I get a clearer picture of everything it is. Regardless it is imperative that you read everything. I am willing to answer any and all questions you might have of course, but make sure they haven't already been answered.

✧ No godmodding, you are not allowed to control other users characters without express permission from them.

✧ No power playing- The powers in this RP can be incredibly powerful, do not abuse them, there is always going to be someone stronger than you.

✧ Please do not ignore other characters/people, everyone should be included.

✧ Keep everything PG-13, cursing, gore, romance, etc... are all acceptable but keep it appropriate for the site.

✧If you do not wish to, or cannot, continue with this RP let me know so we can decide what to do with your character(s). If you do not respond to the RP so as to make it hard, or impossible, for someone to respond, and you do not respond to messages from me, I will allow the character to be removed however I, and the people you're interacting with, see fit. There is not a specified amount of time for this, it just has to be long enough to stall the RP.

✧If you are going to be away temporarily, let us know so we can work around your character while you're away! (we'll keep you up to date, no worries! :3)

✧I prefer at least one paragraph of five-seven sentences/lines, two-three would be ideal.

✧ I can refuse characters (though more than likely will try to help you fix them), I can also edit, change, bend, and break these rules as I see fit.

✧ Also, be as creative as you want, this is a fantastical world with fantastical creatures there aren't many limits to what you can RP as.
Twisted

Twisted is an odd world. It isn't quite a dream, but it's most definitely too strange to be real. It is a fantastical world with thick forests and all kinds of strange plants and animals, each more dangerous than the next. There are a few small towns that serve food and drink, for both Dreamers and Nightmares. The owners of these small shops tend to be the most friendly and kind people in Twisted.

There is no money, only a bartering system, or if one is feeling generous things are free. Shops include butchers, bakers, basically anything you can find in the normal world, but different. The meats are different, the drinks are different, they look and smell and taste different.

The inhabitants of Twisted have been called Nightmares, though not everyone in the strange world is a Nightmare, and not all Nightmares started out as such.

Nightmares
Nightmares are, generally, born and raised (or rather created and strengthened) in Twisted. There is also the possibility of a dreamer, having spent a long time in Twisted, slowly becoming "feral" and turning into a Nightmare. Their physical appearance changes, as well as their personality. Their powers do tend to change and warp to better fit their becoming Nightmares. This is rather rare, most dreamers do not become nightmares, and those that do are completely indistinguishable from those born to Twisted so as to be an almost pointless distinction.

Nightmares are generally humanoid, but tend to look odd, their skin may be an odd color, they may have strange eyes or teeth. They could have odd markings, or strange added limbs like tails and wings.

Nightmares require other living things to feed off of, though they do not often eat the way dreamers do, and in fact often require Dreamers to feed, but can also feed off the strange animals and plants that thrive there.

You will choose a 'food' (life, emotion, etc...), and where they get this from (plants, animals, Dreamers).

✧Life- The essence of a creature, if the creature breathes, the Nightmare feels it. This will kill plants that the Nightmare feeds off of and can kill smaller animals. Large animals will not die, usually, and Dreamers will not die at all, though they will get faint and dizzy.

✧Blood- Not necessarily literally (though that depends on the Nightmare). This is, basically, a Nightmare feeding off something by eating it. Plants and animals are what are most often fed on, though it's not unheard of for Nightmare's to hunt down Dreamers for feeding.

✧Emotion- Obvious, the stronger the emotion the more nutrients the Nightmare gets. Anger, love, and fear tend to be the most common emotions, however any extreme emotion can be used. Can only be taken from Dreamers and animals. You may also choose what emotion your Nightmare feeds off of.

✧Thoughts- Nightmares will feed off the creativity of a person, any idea or thought that passes through a person's mind. Again, animals or Dreamers only.

Powers:

All Nightmares have enhanced senses, speed, and agility. They also have some form of telepathic abilities, though they aren’t all mind-reading. Nightmares also have a second, more ‘physical’ power that are specifically unique to a Nightmare.

Their individual powers tend to be based off their telepathic ones. They tend to be incredibly creative, destroying or creating things, they can manipulate their own bodies, their surroundings, or even create things that weren’t there. These powers can have a couple of ‘parts’, but no more than two or three usually, and all of them are connected to each other. Almost anything goes when it comes to these powers however if I feel that your character is too overpowered I will let you know.

Remember controlling other RPC's is against the rules without permission! Empathy, mind reading, and similar abilities are common amongst all Nightmares, just be wary, it's not cool to control other characters outright, unless they're your own ;) .

Dreamers
Dreamers are normal humans like you and me. They have somehow stumbled into Twisted. They were sleeping in their beds when a strange door appeared to them in their dreams. They opened the door and found themselves in Twisted, not that they knew what it was. They are likely to be greeted by a man who calls himself Joker.

Once they have entered Twisted, their clothes change into whatever the Dreamer wants to look like. It could just be their normal clothes, or clothes that they wished they could wear but don't/can't for whatever reason.

Powers:

These tend to be elemental based, the creation, maintaining, and control of various elements. If they are new, they would not be well versed in elemental control, Dreamers who have been there longer are, obviously, more well versed in the control of elements, and are much stronger.

Each character can only have one element. They can either control the ‘main’ element (Fire, Water, Earth, whatever) or control one of the ‘sub-elements’ (heat, ice, plants).

If a Dreamer has been in Twisted for a long time then they can slowly gain control over the other categories of an element. So if someone started out with ice powers, they can, eventually, if there long enough, learn to control water.

Water Manipulation: In its liquid form only.

[/i][/center]

• Sub-Elements:

Ice

Gas

Fire Manipulation: Flames itself, creating and/or manipulation of previously created flames.

• Sub-Elements:

Smoke/Gas

Heat

Earth Manipulation: The creation and/or manipulation of rocks, dirt, and various forms of earth.

• Sub-Elements:

Plant-life-

Animals- Manipulating animals to do your bidding, (low-levels would be animals being drawn to them)

Metal

Poison Manipulation: Come from plants and animals nearby, is a combination of water/gas and plant-manipulation, the older the Dreamer the more potent the poison. May also lead to a better awareness for safe or dangerous foods.

Air: The creation and/or manipulation of winds, higher levels may learn to levitate and/or fly.

Light: The creation and/or manipulation of light and light sources

Darkness: The removal of light, or the creation and/or manipulation of shade/shadows.

Flora and Fauna

The plants and animals in Twisted are strange to say the least. While they have the same basic shape as most plants and animals we know there are differences ranging from color to their limbs, teeth, and personality that are vastly different, and more dangerous, then one would be used to.

Animals from the regular human world can end up in Twisted, and will immediately transform into their Twisted counter-parts.

Everything in Twisted is edible, even if they are venomous/poisonous (as long as it's prepared properly) and there are several small villages run by Nightmares that are dispersed throughout Twisted and it isn't unusual to stumble upon a house in the middle of the jungle, or in a tree way up high.

FAQ

✧ Q:Is the Dreamer's body within Twisted the same as that of their real world's, or is it a duplicate body that they get upon coming into Twisted, and their real body is still 'asleep'. If it's the latter, what happens to it if someone becomes a Nightmare?

✧ A:Basically, once they open the door to Twisted their "dream" body and real one sort of get sucked in. There are real world implications, of course, and a lot of the disappearances result in cold missing persons cases, however it is possible to escape Twisted, in which case they would end up back to where ever they fell asleep, all memories would remain.

Side Note: After thinking about things, if (only if, this is not what happens, just what could have happened), I assume the person would be in a perma-coma until they escaped or became a Nightmare. If they became a Nightmare they would have died... If they escaped they would just wake up.

✧ Q:Do Nightmares have to be close when feeding? Or can they do it from far away? Do they just absorb the energy they need or do they have to make contact with their prey?

✧ A:Both, or rather it depends on the Nightmare's preference. It's the strength of the emotion that's important, more than how close the Nightmare is to their prey. If the emotion is rather weak, then the closer the Nightmare is the better. However, a Nightmare can feed off of any minute emotion regardless of how close they are, how much they get from it depends on emotion strength. Of course, for ‘blood’, a Nightmare needs to physically eat the plant/animal/Dreamer.

Emotions are probably the most tricky of the nutrients that a Nightmare can get because you can't be sure exactly how a person is going to react to what you're doing. A Nightmare feeds off of love, but as the Nightmare tries to get an animal to feel comfortable and trusting, the animal just gets scared, or a Nightmare tries to scare a Dreamer with illusion-made bats, but the Dreamer happens to love them and gets super excited, rather than afraid. A Nightmare just can't predict how their prey is going to react or feel.

When it comes to things like Thoughts, it is much easier to just feed off of whatever is around, and rarely does a Nightmare need to even come in contact with a Dreamer/animal.

✧ Q:Do nightmares have "parents"? Or do they just spawn into the world someday? Can nightmares reproduce?

✧ A:They spawn, the Nightmares themselves don't really know how or why, but it's sort of a culmination of various dreams and nightmares (from humans) taking a physical form. Basically a dream world that has manifested itself into a fully functional alternate universe of sorts. Some Nightmares also were once Dreamers who went 'feral', and are basically impossible to tell the difference between them.

I have to think about the reproducing thing, it's not a concept I had considered ^^;. Some Nightmares do live together, but not quite sure if they would reproduce...

✧ Q:Do nightmares know that the "dreamers" come from another world, and that Twisted is seen as a "dream" to the dreamers?

✧ A:Yes, they're aware of the fact that Dreamers are from a different 'world'. They do know that Twisted is considered a 'dream', and they themselves would probably consider our world a 'dream'.

✧ Q:Likewise, do nightmares dream? Do they find it strange that they refer to themselves as "nightmares", something that isn't real?

✧ A:Nightmares can dream, but it has no baring on their world, or 'our' world, or any other world for that matter. Nightmares can sleep, Joker loves a good nap ^-^.

The term Nightmare actually caught on because the first Dreamers referred to the strange monsters they saw as such. In tern, Nightmares adopted the word Dreamer to refer to those who considered Twisted a 'Dream'. A lot of the terminology, including the name of the place itself, was adopted from those who aren't actually indigenous to Twisted.

✧ Q:What do nightmares do for a living? Do they just wander around hunting? Are there enough food sources that there are no fights for food? What did they do for food before dreamers came, in the case of the Emotion-eaters that primarily rely on dreamers?

✧ A:There are towns and stores and 'cities', but there isn't any real form of currency, particularly since a lot of Nightmares don't require physical sustenance. Most of the cities sprouted because of Dreamers, not all Nightmares are particularly mean-spirited, and are willing to help Dreamers out, especially when it comes to food. What a Nightmare does is entirely up to them, like I said, some do live together, some prefer to just 'hunt' once in awhile as opposed to wandering, but some like to wander.

As for those that feed on emotion, they can feed off the emotions of animals too, so it wouldn't be a huge issue. But there is fighting, even if there were enough food sources there would be fighting, particularly amongst the more challenge oriented, and proud Nightmares. Luckily, there wasn't much of a gap between when Twisted became a fully fledged 'world', and the first Dreamer to enter it, Twisted sort of evolved and adapted to "feed" off of our world.

✧ Q:When nightmares feed on emotion, does that emotion disappear?

✧ A:Temporarily, though it mostly leaves them a bit dazed. If they feed too much the Dreamer can pass out, if they only feed a little then the Dreamer might not even feel dazed.

✧ Q:What happens if a nightmare tries to use another food source that they usually don't use? For example, if Wren, a pain-eating nightmare, decided to eat vegetables or something. Would they get sick?

✧ A:If an emotion-feeder eats a plant/animal they wouldn't get sick. However someone who feeds off emotions wouldn't physically be able to feed off thought, or life, but anyone can eat the wildlife, it just doesn't really do anything for them. Also someone who does eat plants/animals, wouldn't be able to feed off emotion or something.

✧ Q:Would a nightmare be able to feed off another nightmare?

✧ A: Yes, though it would probably be more difficult, a Nightmare wouldn't get so easily frazzled or injured. Also if a Dreamer has been around long enough it might be harder to get the right emotions out of them so 'fresh 'meat' tends to be favored.

✧ Q: Do Dreamers age?

✧ A: No, when they are in Twisted they don't age, meaning if they escape they will look exactly as they did when they entered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very interested in this! It sounds like something just up my alley! I'm getting all excited just thinking about it...hope it gets lots of people! Can I start making up a Nightmare now, just in case?

~Wyvern

✧ Q: Do Dreamers age?

✧ A: No, when they are in Twisted they don't age, meaning if they escape they will look exactly as they did when they entered.
Interested. Does this mean someone who spent ten or twenty years in Twisted and escape will still be as youthful even if the other world has changed?

[QUOTE="Scarlet Wyvern]I am very interested in this! It sounds like something just up my alley! I'm getting all excited just thinking about it...hope it gets lots of people! Can I start making up a Nightmare now, just in case?
~Wyvern

[/QUOTE]
You can absolutely start :) I hope it does too! (It's already getting more responses in a shorter amount of time than I foresaw ^^)

Milus said:
Interested. Does this mean someone who spent ten or twenty years in Twisted and escape will still be as youthful even if the other world has changed?
That is exactly what it means, and that also means they would have a full life ahead of them if they escaped, the only signs of time passage would be weight gain/loss, scars, etc...

Extremely interested! Though is there going to be a character age limit? This would be a rather odd place to see 5 and 10 year olds...

Honestly when I originally wrote this I didn't have an age limit, especially since it wouldn't be that strange for a ten year old to find themselves in this world (at least the way I envisioned it)... But I can probably include one, for at least the Dreamers...

PaddieCake said:
Honestly when I originally wrote this I didn't have an age limit, especially since it wouldn't be that strange for a ten year old to find themselves in this world (at least the way I envisioned it)... But I can probably include one, for at least the Dreamers...
Alright, just curious.

YanaAi said:
Please count me in! ^-^
It'll be great to have you! :D

I've got a pretty busy day work wise today, but I'll be working on an actual thread for this on and off the rest of the day, and I'll link it here when it's up :D .

PaddieCake said:
It'll be great to have you! :D
I've got a pretty busy day work wise today, but I'll be working on an actual thread for this on and off the rest of the day, and I'll link it here when it's up :D .
Thank you so much! This is really exciting. :D

PaddieCake said:
Marie Annette.

Speaking of which, in the case of Dreamer turned Nightmare, would they suddenly have the possibility of aging, or are they stuck ageless due to their once-Dreamer status? In case I ever feel like redeeming Annette and/or letting her age.

Also, will you be including character/member limits, or will it be open season? :orly: I miss ms smilies...

Kore said:
Marie Annette.
Speaking of which, in the case of Dreamer turned Nightmare, would they suddenly have the possibility of aging, or are they stuck ageless due to their once-Dreamer status? In case I ever feel like redeeming Annette and/or letting her age.

Also, will you be including character/member limits, or will it be open season? :orly: I miss ms smilies...
Exactly x3.

No, nothing really ages on Twisted, not even Nightmares (I think it says somewhere they sort of just...spawn into existence as they are. Things mature mentally (well except Joker), but physically things remain the same since it is, at its core, a dream like world. So unfortunately no, aging again wouldn't be possible.

Though now I have ideas rumbling in my head semi-related to this but I need to make sure it's within 'canon' first XDXD (or at least I'll have to edit things to make it work because I do like the idea a bit x3)

Also I will not be having character/user limits, Twisted is a world that grows continuously and I will not be the one to try and stop that x3 (yes it has taken a life of its own .__. ;) I miss the MS smileys too... not that I stopped going there of course x3.

PADDIE YES.

I don't want to use Yukiya again, maybe I'll change it up! But hi, I'm interested!

HI! :D Yas! That's fine :D I'm working on the thread now (though I probably won't be finishing it particularly soon since I do want to check over the FAQ and update it as needed >_>)

But you can use whoever you want! :D

Hello! I'm putting my interest out for this incredible RP idea. Hope you wouldn't mind if I invite a friend over too ^^

Thank you! :D I was wondering what your preferences in face claims are? Realistic, drawing, anime, etc.

@WhosJack Remember old fur in sass? Think it's time to bring em' back :PPP

Ohgosh you give your characters weird nick names too <3

You can use whatever kind of pictures you want, or you don't have to use any. It's entirely up to you, I honestly don't care what kind of images you use for your character.

I'd really like to be a part of this. When you get a chance, could i talk to you about a character? just to make sure he fits

@StoneWolf18 That is an excellent question! And it happens to be an idea I've been tinkering with so I don't have a definitive answer for that just yet.

Also, as a general FYI, there are a few ideas in my head that I do want to be revealed in the RP itself, so while I generally have an answer for questions, I might deny answering them (though that does end up sort of giving away my intentions anyway... but still x3).

@bottlecap Absolutely, I have to leave soon, but you can PM me and I can let you know when I get back. I don't know what you're planning at the moment but for starters, Nightmares do not need to be entirely humanoid, and in previous incarnations there were more 'alien' or even 'animal' esque Nightmares with still a basic humanoid shape, extra limbs, wings, tails, facial features. I'll still gladly look at what you're intending to use but this might help a little before I can get back to you :3.

PaddieCake said:
@StoneWolf18 That is an excellent question! And it happens to be an idea I've been tinkering with so I don't have a definitive answer for that just yet.
Also, as a general FYI, there are a few ideas in my head that I do want to be revealed in the RP itself, so while I generally have an answer for questions, I might deny answering them (though that does end up sort of giving away my intentions anyway... but still x3).

@bottlecap Absolutely, I have to leave soon, but you can PM me and I can let you know when I get back. I don't know what you're planning at the moment but for starters, Nightmares do not need to be entirely humanoid, and in previous incarnations there were more 'alien' or even 'animal' esque Nightmares with still a basic humanoid shape, extra limbs, wings, tails, facial features. I'll still gladly look at what you're intending to use but this might help a little before I can get back to you :3.
-Braces for plot twists- :3

x3 I've had this idea for a few years now and has had about two other incarnations, I just have a bunch of information scattered around that I need to organize better, so yeah x3.

PaddieCake said:
x3 I've had this idea for a few years now and has had about two other incarnations, I just have a bunch of information scattered around that I need to organize better, so yeah x3.
Ah, but I'm the a bit confused...if that was possible for a nightmare to escape, it's stated that their body dies. Unless it's being medically sustained and or they get resurrected.

Gah, I guess we'll have to wait an see. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back