• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

To purge the chaos you must seek the Grancrest![Grancrest]

Ixacise

Pull my devil trigger
Yeah I got bored and decided to run something so I'm making some int checks. I like to run obscure type games so here's one that fits that bill

What the hell is Grancrest?

Grancrest is a Japanese pen and paper role-playing game set in a fantasy world besieged by the forces of Chaos. This is obviously very bad as Chaos has the nasty habit of warping reality and the area it's physically situated once the concentration of chaos gets too high.But the worst part of Chaos is that once it concentrates it has the nasty habit of either becoming some sort of hell hole and or it starts spawning monsters which range from mildly dangerous and possibly mindless to very dangerous creatures like dragons which can be sapient and unfortunately the nice beings are rare and even their motives are a mystery. However those bearing Crests with powers were able to lower the levels of Chaos to much more livable levels. These people are called Lords as now they are the ruling class and every settlement has a Lord who's power allows people to live relatively normal lives. This crest can increase with power and with such power comes prestige. Crest power levels either come from experience over time or by fighting other lords and taking their crest power away. It is rumored that the ultimate Crest, The Grancrest will appear and when it does it will have the power to purge Chaos from all the lands permanently. This rumor has driven Lords to build up armies to fight other nation's Lords to get their power and bring forth the Grancrest but so far nothing has happened yet.

The setting is penned by the Guy who did Lodoss War which might ring a bell to those old enough or who like classic fantasy anime.

You can grab a fantranslation here: Grancrest RPG Rulebook 1.pdf

How it plays

The game is focused around two aspects that support each other. The first one is your regular adventuring which then gives you rewards to help build up your nation's resources which in turn lets you amass an army to fight big armies of Chaos critters or other nations in big climactic battles. The game uses a grid system for fighting and the mass combat and regular and both combats operate in roughly the same way which makes mass combat simple but also lets you do fun things like upscale your abilities to affect armies.

Who do you play as

Much like D&D has classes so does Grancrest and there's three classes which have several sub-classes called "Styles" to differentiate focuses in what they do. You go Lords, Mages, and Artists. Mages are pretty self-explanatory they're the magic users and they manipulate Chaos to do magical effects. Mage styles are: Healer, Elementalist, Prophet.

Healer does healing and status ailments, Elementalist nukes shit with elemental magic, and Prophet is a hybrid of Healer's support and Elementalist's nuking with a bunch of off effects like being able to Ask the GM for OOC knowledge in IC.

Artists are those who got infected with Chaos, survived and got rad powers. This chaos infection makes itself known to others by a tatoo somewhere on their body. Normal people tend to be wary of them as Artists because of that Chaos infection thing. They're offensively oriented and they got 4 styles. Shooter, Undead, Lycanthrope, and Shadow.

Shooter is ranged guy with different powers around that gimmick, Undead is tanky as hell and has some vampiric healing powers, Shadow is the closet you'll get to a rogue but more over the top with a Shadow manipulation gimmick,. Lycanthrope has like an animal mutation theme which makes them the most offense oriented of the Artist class.

Finally there's Lords who have a special place in the setting stuff with all that aforementioned stuff I'm not gonna repeat. They got Saber, Paladin, and Ruler as their styles. Gameplay-wise they're akin to 4e D&D's Leader role. Saber is offensively oriented but only good with melee (Sorry guys wanting to be a ranged guy) and their skills are either devastating attack moves or support magic to help others fight. Paladin is all about that Defense, and the Ruler is the most support oriented of the Class.

Players wanted

3+

This sounds really cool. I'd be willing to give it a stab if you'll have me.

I''m more focused on wanting desire to run a game as well have enough people to run it with than, than my tolerance or rather lack of it towards you if that's what you're getting at.

Compared to my other game, Meikyuu Kingdom, Grancrest while not super complex as the other stuff being ran has more stuff going that I don't think doing a hilariously undermanned game or doubling up would be too fun or feasible.

Could be wrong since it's my first time running it, but the abilities especially the mage spells have more stuff to keep track off e that it seems it would be a pain to keep track off if doubling up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not specifically, but it's convenient to have confirmation, I suppose.

Shouldn't be a struggle to find three players.

You mean two. If you're playing and two others pop I'll be able to run this.

Anyway I'll give fair warning now to declare I'll be loosely using the baked in setting and there will be some homebrewed material mainly in the monsters to use as the book's bestiary is a little slim but the rules encourage and make it easy to create them which is nice and also perhaps guns and gun troops to get later.

Hello there.

If you got friends please bring some and lets get this going.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool. Get two more and we got the minimum.

Alternatively you can join the other game I'm doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back