• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

To Outlive Death

furo

learn and let die
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Private 1x1 roleplay between Lord Zanicus and TheCreator.

Although hiro’s first period of his school day begun later than furo’s, she would usually wake after him in the morning, quite simply because she was a much heavier sleeper, so she’d only be peeled out of her slumber by the blaring electric guitar she was forced to set as her alarm. The brunette would make no effort to hold back the groan that would crawl out of her throat, drawled with sleep, and hug the pillow closer head, with her eyes tightly shut, as if hoping that alone would force time backwards to let her sleep in an hour or two longer. And she’d always awake to find an empty space next to her on the large double futon laid on the floor right in the middle of the bedroom, which she would without fail take advantage of, stretching out as far as her short limbs would go, so as to benefit from all the space left vacant.

This particular morning, though, was not the case. Furo awoke earlier than hiro; long before her alarm could even go off. Very smoothly, too. Not suddenly, nor in a very lethargic fashion, like when you’re actually awake for a few minutes but your brain still fails to
realize that you’re up, so you lose track of the time you’ve been awake. It was almost as if she’d decided, while in the realm of dreams, when to come to. A countdown.

3…

Now.

And her eyes drifted open.

That Monday night, a dispatch had been scheduled. She wasn’t sure if her brain would be too aware of this each time they’d been tasked a dispatch, but today her awakening matched the way in which she occasionally chose to eliminate her targets when she drearily found herself in rare moments of hesitation.

3…

Now. You die now.

Feeling this power, of counting down even the last few seconds of another human’s life, at so much as a finger’s motion, she did not know how to classify. She knew it’d take much too long to decide exactly where to tuck away this feeling once she’d determined precisely
what it was, and where it was supposed to go. Especially, since she was no one. She was nobody and she was a nobody. Yet, she’s given the power to establish when someone’s best chances were to be put to an end. So, naturally, furo wouldn’t understand. She’s much too young; too no one.

These reveries were ones furo had long left behind and neglected, so this Monday morning, she awakes before hiro, and makes nothing of it as she sits up and stretches her arms far above her head, allowing a small yawn to escape her lips.

She only spared hiro’s deep sleeping form a side glance, before her droopy eyes stared forward, and she rubbed them with the base of her palm slowly, then the back of her hand. A quiet sigh filtered out her nostrils, and she remained seated for a short while, shoulders hunching down and her arms droop limply upon her lap. Her eyelids threatened to close, but she caught herself.

She just wished she could go back to sleep. Maybe forever, but with snack breaks.

How many times does one dreamt of going over something they'd been doing when awake? Would such an experience be considered a nightmare or a dream? Would their slumber be peaceful or a lethargic one? Just what sort of activity or chores could lead one into dreaming about it? For Hiro, it was about his training. He'll have a series of the same events over and over again where in each time, the results would've been better.

It's all a dream...

Still, its as if he'd mentally reflect and analyse on what he'd done in the day. Especially after every despatch. Always thinking and wondering how he could improve his results. Always figuring out a way to acquire higher scores. It was mental exercise. A preparation for his physical self. It'd became a routine. A habit.

It's all a dream...

This night was no different. Hiro found himself standing over one of his targets he'd successfully slain in the past. His mind quickly going through the various methods of how best to dispose of the man. Asleep, they're very vulnerable. So weak and oblivious to the imminent danger. So careless. How many times have he envisioned this very scenario now? Five? Six? He couldn't recall.

It's all a dream...

Now, how or by what methods can he come up with for him to achieve a clean score? As he pondered, taking all the time in the world since he knew it was a dream, something scary came to thought. What if it was him in the man's position? What if an assassin was standing over him right that instant? Just as the notion arises, Hiro sensed he was being watched.

No! This feeling is not a dream...

Hiro's eyes fluttered open. A hand already reaching for his Glock 18 under the futon by his head. But he stopped when he realised who was already sitting up beside him. He sighed. Then his eyes drooped. A rare moment. Usually, Furo won't be awake until he's long gone.

“Did I overslept?” Hiro asked, groggily. “Or are you just excited for tonight?” he mumbled before yawning.

Not expecting a reply, he stretched and then rolled himself into a push-up position. With ease, he did a number of repetition, in his boxers and exposing myriads of scars across his back. He'd just awoken from a mental exercise, so now its time for a physical workout. They both must be balanced. As for his emotional state however, it was being encased by a cold and ruthless exterior. Very much like his demeanour. But it's a sight only a handful could see.

Normally, furo would swat her partner in the arm or upside the head for his wry commentary, but she was much too sleepy to execute such an endeavor. She instead settled for a breathy scoff of disdain, and forced herself to climb to her feet. She lethargically motioned towards the swivel chair by the closet, where her school uniform was neatly laid out. In one swift motion she swept her arm to grab it and headed to the bathroom to slip it on.

Once done, furo went for the kitchen to begin boiling some rice in the suihanki and prepare breakfast. She’d manage something with rice, fried mackerel and eggs, and whatever was left of orange juice to spare. Furo hated cooking, but she accepted that it was her duty once in a while as a living partner, and although she wasn’t exceptional, her results were surprisingly above the average.

It was a Monday; an onerous day was awaiting to drag on, and furo’s only choice was to go along humbly, and acknowledge that it would be so for hiro as well, so she would refrain from berating him so much for today. To top it off, they would conclude their day with an intricate dispatch, and they knew all too well that those took its toll, thus it meant they couldn’t count the night to come as a restful one.

A sleepless night it is.

Furo halted her procedure of jabbing and poking around the mackerel fillets on the pan as they fried, just to release a soft but prolonged sigh at the anticipation of having to bear with Yotsuya-san’s yapping for the first twenty minutes of the morning once the bell rang. Saying furo wasn’t fond of the homeroom teacher would be an understatement. She would clamp shut that whiny little voice with a gag and lock her in the supply room of the gym until she dies of suffocation.

But furo and hiro do not kill for need. They obey orders, for which they are rewarded.

Hiro’s short morning routine of exercise never ceased to aggravate furo. Despite her heavy sleeping condition, when one is dangling between the realm of dreams and dreary reality, every little sound is like thunder. His light huffing would become too loud, or the pounding of his back against the futon would hinder her beautiful rest. Furo has to grip her pillow tight to her head to block out the noise, but sometimes she would go so far as to beat repeatedly with her pillow until he gave out.

This morning, she was somewhat grateful to awaken at least a minute or two before he did, so she could leave him to his little number.

Hiro dropped himself down from the makeshift pull-up bar. Panting and stretching before he grabbed a towel and stepped into the bathroom. That concludes his morning workout. A couple of sets in pushups, sit-ups and pull ups before a shower.

With a hand resting against the tile-wall, he lowered his head and allow the shower to cascade down over his form. His eyes shut, breathing calmed and his focus returned to his mission. He wondered briefly of who their victim would be this time.

Soon, the young man emerged, fully dressed in his school uniform and ready for school. But before that, breakfast.

Sniff, sniff!

“Wah! What's the occasion?” Hiro asked with a smile. His expression suddenly lighted up. All cheerful and somewhat playful. Contradicting to his usual attitude before the shower. “Didn't think I could have a taste of your cooking in this lifetime! While you're at it, could you pack a bento for me?” it's an attitude Hiro always wore for his cover as a student of his school.

He sat down before the dinner table and rested his chin on his hand. Smiling and studying his roommate as she prepared breakfast.

“You know, it'll be nice to see this very scene every morning. It's somewhat refreshing! Almost gave the impression of a normal living environment!” he said before he chuckled.

Retrieving a thin frame with round glass spectacle from his pocket, he completed the transformation as he puts it on. Now, he appeared to look like a helpless nerd. One who seemed incapable of doing anything else than study.

Furo had yet to step into the bathroom to fix her hair into the usual presentable fashion she wore, but for now, while she cooked, her soft wisps of chocolate hair were frolicking about her head, like little party ghosts that chased her everywhere ‘til they were tamed down. She carefully deposited the fried mackerel fillets onto a white, rectangular plate, and along with it brought the rice cooker to the short table they have meals in. In a small ceramic bowl, she carried the four eggs she had boiled, and quickly returned to the kitchen to retrieve the egg slicer.

“You want this for bentō? If you don’t eat all of it, I’ll pack the leftovers for your lunch; I’m not hungry anyways,” furo declared, rising from her kneeling position by the table, and motioned once again towards the kitchen. She extracted the juicebox out of the refrigerator and delivered it to hiro, pouring a glass of the orange liquid for him.

Despite having lost the morning appetite, furo accompanied her partner at breakfast, sitting across from him at the table as he wolfed down his first meal, all the while her cheek rested on the heel of her palm, and her elbow splayed out on the table. Her eyelids were having an intense battle with themselves to stop from weighing down, so she distracted herself by speaking up.

“You know, although I have admitted that cute boys with big round glasses are kind of one of my weaknesses, I hate to be the one breaking it to you, but…” furo scrunched up her nose and cocked an eyebrow. She reached over the table and perched her fingers on the temples of his large spectacles; “It doesn’t suit you.” She pulled them off his face and discarded them aside upon the table, then sat back down.

“Tell your classmates you got eye contacts.”

“Aww! But I like wearing them!” Hiro feint retaliation. “It helps me achieve the sort of persona I was going for!” he said before taking a drink at the juice. “And not suiting me is what it was meant for in the first place!” finishing his last few mouthful of meal, Hiro smirked. “But since you've asked so nicely, I shall willingly oblige!”

Hiro wasn't the sort to leave any leftovers during his meals. He'd left not even a scrap for even the pests to scavenge. Its somewhat his principle; to finish what you started. Just like he would at any given task. To leave no witnesses.

“Thanks for the meal!” he said as he stood. Grabbing his backpack, he winked at Furo, “And thanks for the compliment!”

Time for school.

“Don't be late for school! They wouldn't be pleased if your headmaster were to call them down!” he grinned. “I'll see you after school! Want me to pick you up? I'll wait for you at the main gate! Okay?” said Hiro as he slid open the door, put on his shoes and stood at the doorway, allowing Furo to respond before he would leave the house.

School. It wasn't something Hiro looked forward to but to further solidify his alibi on the role he's playing, he'd got to act as if it did. Ironically, for a ruthless assassin in the night, Hiro was branded as one of the top students. His circle of so-called “friends” at school consisted of nothing but nerds. All the cool kids picked on him, demanding he do their homework for them. Surprisingly, he managed, despite having to complete the occasional dispatch.

Oh, if only they knew what he's capable of.

The younger girl did start her first period earlier, but hiro’s school was much further away from the humble apartment complex, thus having him be punctual with public transport, while furo could simply walk to school and leave a bit later.

She still had around half an hour before leaving to begin her daily forty-minute walk to school. It was during this trudge that she usually stopped by a corner store and bought a small snack for breakfast, and she downed it before class with any drink from the vending machine once she arrived at the school building. Sometimes she didn’t. Of course, there wasn’t any adult around responsible for her who could make sure she got proper nutrition at the start of her day, so she would easily get away with it.

When furo was about to whack him upside the head after his wink and taunting comment, he had already shot away out of her reach. She just didn’t have the energy to chase him around, so she plopped back down onto her seat and sunk her cheek onto her palm with a prominent pout.

“I don’t mind you picking me up after school, but don’t go around waving and yelling my name like it’s my birthday like you always do! People are starting to get ideas,” furo warned him, scowling. “Just drop the act and play it low. You know it’s better if people don’t know much about our acquaintance.” She folded her arms across her chest.

Furo didn’t squeeze out any other farewell as he stepped out of the apartment, already too caught up in a ravel of very trouble thoughts she’d been striving to avoid. She liked to think she’d left behind and trampled over any fears when it came to her job, but at moments like these, where she falters, she feels ashamed of her fragility. She feels she’s falling behind, and that it simply roughs her shape—the shape one needs to be hitman.

The brunette was now checking their sources on ammunition; the ones they kept hidden in shoeboxes at the bottom of their closet. If they didn’t have a sufficient supply, they wouldn’t have enough time after school to obtain refills.

“Now, this task I’m going to give you for the beginning of next week is like nothing I’ve assigned to you before,” Jadeblade explained to his subordinates, who gave him their undivided attention. “And I don’t know whether or not you will react strongly to this, but I wouldn’t send you out to it if I wasn’t sure you were absolutely prepared to do it.”

This is when furo began to feel intrigued, but perhaps not in the best of ways.

“Your next target’s name is Taguchi Noboru (多口凌 ), a former kyodai of a yakuza clan. He has apparently been accused of having traitored the clan somehow, you don’t need much detail, but he’s wanted dead.” The contractor slid a sheet of paper with a printed timetable across the desk. “Taguchi is currently taking residence in an old storehouse in Chiba that used to serve as a customs agency and storage place for sea freight incomes from the harbor. It’s just two blocks down from the Ichihara Seaside Stadium, so it’ll be easy to find. The area’s been fenced for future construction plans, but the structure is empty, and it has little to no security systems. You’ll get through.”

On the paper sheet Jadeblade had set forth was a railway schedule table with two of the cells sloppily highlighted with bright yellow: ‘Shinagawa — 18:40’ and ‘Chiba — 19:10’.

“You’ll take the Keikyu Line at Kannai Station at six forty, and arrive at Shinagawa Station at around seven. At seven ten, you take the Yokosuka line from there to Chiba, arriving at around fifteen to eight, and get down at Goi Station, to head straight down to Goichūōnishi. From there, a walk to the stadium will take around half an hour to forty minutes, but roughly twenty five minutes if you make a sprint. Once you reach the stadium’s parking lot, you’re going to call me, and I’ll lead you to the storehouse—it’s a tricky path from there.” All the while he explained, Jadeblade swiped carefully through a digital map on his tablet, as he spelled out the course to their dispatch destination. The missions these two hitmen had been assigned had never entailed such intricate paths to follow, but there was always a first time, and it was good practice for future ones. But it was the task on itself that was the trickiest.

“Well… you did your homework, Jadeblade,” furo, quite impressed, concluded after a deep breath, as she lay back on her chair, brows arched.

“Don’t I always.”

No promises!

Hiro's final smiling face for that morning seemed to express. To him, acting in such a way, even though it's quite embarrassing for Furo, might probably help with keeping their head together. Like a distraction to what was to come that night. To aid in easing off the tension. Something to lighten themselves with.

Besides, it'll give nobody any reason to suspect them. In the eyes of their “friends”, they might appear as a couple formed outside of school. To civilians, young kids and their puppy love. Just normal children being themselves, playful and mischievous.

Hiro exited the elevator last, holding the door open for a couple of elderly folks that lived just a floor above theirs. He greeted them and smiled. Just being the Hiro everyone in this life knew him to be. As he walked towards the bus stop, Hiro dropped by a grocery store and bought himself a lollipop. He began suckling on the candy while waiting for the bus.

The vehicle arrived right on time. Just as scheduled. Pretty much like clockwork similar to the life they're living in. He smiled as he boarded the bus. Exchanged a few more with the rest of the commuters as he walked down the aisle. The usual chores. Wearing the same old mask.

He sat by the window, ignoring the whispers and gleeful giggling from some female students as he stared out the window. His thoughts began to wander then. Just as it always had any other day.

Pattern of assignment have changed.

Hiro thought to himself. Given specific route to take as well as timings to follow, the young man couldn't help but suspect things were amissed. How would the conditions of these locations be like? They'd never been there before, have they? How likely were these site be a controlled territory? After all, their target were related to the Yakuza. It's not impossible for the man to have contacts and have loyal henchmen under his command. He could have his sources.

Intel have never been wrong...

Only that they sometimes fail to mention some pesky details. Like things that would complicate their work. Something unexpected which would end up risked compromising the mission.

Could it be another test?

But there was no need for that any more. They're both already an active field agents. There's no need for them to be tested.

Could it be a trap?

That would be unlikely. Of all the agents on the field, why would they be targeted. They're simply key pieces on the chess board. One that acted upon orders. What good would trapping them do?

“...don't think that'll be a good birthday gift for him! He's no longer a kid!” Hiro overheard the conversation between two girls on the seats in front of him.

“Do you know what's he into? His hobbies, maybe?”

“I'm not sure! He likes to collect cards, I think!”

“Cards?”

“Yes, baseball cards! But I don't remember which cards he have or doesn't have!”

“Hmm... I know! And I think this is way better than getting him cards!”

“What do you have in mind!”

“My uncle have bought some tickets for tonight's baseball game at
Goichūōnishi Stadium. Something came up in the last minute and he wasn't able to go. So he's looking for some buyers!”

“That will be an amazing gift for him!”

“I'll give you my uncle's number!”
the girl took out her mobile phone and showed it to her friend.

“Thank you! I'm sure my boyfriend will be very happy!”

Hiro stole a glimpse at the screen and then returned his attention outside the window. Time indeed flies whence one gets occupied with something. He'll reached his school soon.

The four tickets enclosed in the subway schedule sheet Jadeblade had given them remained tucked between the pages of a notepad inside furo’s schoolbag. Before stepping out to head to school, furo drew the sheet and tickets, and placed them upon the desk in their room, safely under their paperweight in the shape of a Pokéball.

Her hand enclosed the doorknob and lingered there for long moments and she stared at it, and breathed very deeply. She shut her eyes only for a moment, then forced herself forward and out of the apartment.

Just at the end of the block, she passed the front of Sasaki-san’s house; he was watering his plants and his whole pack of six large dogs all came huddling towards the gate, wagging their tails with excitement at the sight of furo, who offered to take them all out for a walk, since Sasaki-san’s condition due to old age hindered this endeavor. The old man amiably waved her good morning as he looked up from his plants, and fixed the pair of glasses upon his wrinkled nose, and furo corresponded.

“Good morning, Rei-kun!” Sasaki chirped.

“Good morning, Sasaki-san,” furo returned. She would’ve typically stopped to greet every and each of his dogs by name and pet them all, but she was way too over her head with what was to come in the evening, and wondering whether or not, unlike Jadeblade had claimed, she was actually prepared for such a task.

“Now, you both know I’d rather have the two of you staying away from this whole yakuza deal, because it’s really far from your concern. But listen: there’s something I do need you to keep in mind;” Jadeblade’s medallion eyes bore deeply into his two subordinates across from him, as if his gaze alone was attempting to convey the seriousness of the situation ahead. “The Yakuza clan are very serious businesses. They have a much higher level than the Dispatch Guild, and their rapid flow of communication is a very dangerous factor. You need to watch out for what you’re going to come across.”

This is when furo became noticeably jittery in her seat, and that’s saying something.

“It is likely that Noboru has many contacts in his favor, and that perhaps he’s not even alone in that storehouse. In case that he was, he would be quick to call for back up, and they would easily outnumber you. These folks are highly trained in many styles of combat, so you need to stay sharp on your senses and remember to work together. I can almost tell you or a fact that he will not be the only target you’ll end up facing, so you’re allowed to take down whoever shows up to hinder the dispatch. And please keep this in mind for right when you arrive at the premises: think ahead. Once your foes are all taken down, there will surely be more on their way afterwards, so you must find a place to ready and use as a hiding spot, to wait it out until they leave. You’re both clever enough to figure that out on your own, because that’s out of my hands already. You’re most likely not going to have time to clean up after yourselves, so make su—”

A vehicle honked and came to a abrupt halt right in front of the uniformed brunette; she had been too absorbed in her recollections that she’d jaywalked past many blocks, but wasn’t too lucky with this one. She’d walked one step too far off the curb and nearly came to a nasty end, but the blaring of the klaxon yanked her off her thoughts soon enough that she could catch herself and back off.

This is when she realized she’d been overthinking too much for her own good, and decided she’d have to do with the distractions of her school days to keep her mind off the subject.

“Hiro-san! Hiro-san!” a familiar voice suddenly called out to him just as he hopped down from the bus. “It's you isn't it, Hiro-san? I can hardly recognise you without your glasses!” a taller but more feminine looking male approached him.

“Hahaha! Yes, it's me, Akage-senpai! I'd just got contacts!”

“Now, now, Hiro-san!”
the senior student feint a sulk with pouted lips. “What did I say you should call me by?”

“Ah, I'm sorry! I forgot!”
Hiro awkwardly smiled, shying his body slightly away while scratching his head. “Akane-chan!”

“That's more like it!”
said Akage before he spontaneously linked an arm with Hiro. “Now, did the boys from the Kendo curriculum bother you again? You come to me if they do, okay?”

“I will, Akane-chan!”
Hiro replied as he walked awkwardly together with his senior friend.

Though Akage may seem tall and scrawny as well as somewhat of a softy, he was also a renowned wrestler who'd represent for the school in numerous tournaments. Being in the wrestler's company not only minimise the number of bullies that would bug him, it also helps in planting doubts in the mind of the girls as to Hiro's very own preference.

From a perspective, it helps prevent further complications to his already complicated as well as discreet life. While on the other, he'd to live with the reputation others have come to know him by. Still, despite being under such circumstances, there were times when his good looks would attract unwanted attention.

“Hey, Akane-chan!” a female student called out from the school's main gate.

“Oh, hey Sizuka-chan!” Akage answered with a wave.

“Have you heard? There's a sale today at Takashiyama! The others and I planned on going there after school! You want to tag along?”

“Really? Of course I would! Oh, I've been wanting to get myself this new purse I'd seen on e-bay!”

“Hahaha! The one you'd shown me countless of times?”

“Yes! That exact same one!”

“By the way, Akane-chan, aren't you going to introduce me to your boyfriend?”

“Who? Hiro-san? Hahaha! Hiro-san is not my boyfriend!”
Akage told the girl before turning to Hiro. “Hiro-san, this is Sizuka-chan!”

“Umm, hi! Hahaha!”
Hiro waved and smiled shyly.

“You've got to excuse him! He's a little shy!”

“Hi! You could come with us too if you want, Hiro-san! We can go to the arcade afterwards!”

“Ah, I'm afraid I already have plans for after school!”

“Aww! That's too bad! Maybe next time, then?”

“Maybe..”

On that particular day, things were slightly different from before. The number of bullies hadn't change but the tone and their demands seemed to have multiplied. Hiro could only blame the sudden attention he'd been getting from the girls in his school. They'd never behave in such a flirty way towards him before.

Perhaps its the spectacle. With it, he'd not had this problem before. Now, things almost appear to be getting out of hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back