• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom To be an Explorer (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)

Kylesar1

This is my loudest bork
To Be an Explorer (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)

Hello, all. Call my Kyles (my last name). I'm not gonna bother with all the fancy BBCoding.

I love Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, so let's RP it. What I was initially thinking was a dangerous mission to begin and it branching out from there. We're all part of a Guild name Green Forest, taking place in a town called Casim. Some young Pokemon are out playing on a beach and they inadvertently stumble into the Sea Temple which, if you keep up with Pokemon Lore from other universes (aka the anime), it's a temple that moves along the sea. With many teams out doing missions of their own, that leaves only the young trainees to go accomplish the mission and save their friends

From there, it branches out with potentially an overarching plot (if there is interest) and the entire RP involves things in the Pokemon Universe well beyond the bound of the Mystery Dungeon world. Think of it as a Pokemon universe crossover.........just without humans.

With that in mind, while it does remain at its core a PMD RP, it would be kinda loose with the mechanics. For example, the 4 move rule would be done away with since it doesn't make sense in anything other than for game balance.

Environments will come into play, giving Pokemon access to things and effects that aren't really in the games. For example, if you're flying in the air, cloud placement would matter. If you're below the cloud and the enemy is above it, you'll have low accuracy targeting them. Darkness lowers accuracy and if you're trying to be stealthy, making noise or flashing light would attract enemies. Things like that. There are so so many examples that I feel can make things more interesting and encourage players to think beyond "He's this type and I'm this type. I should charge/stay back."

Abilities will of course be a thing and they may potentially affect personality, along with Pokedex entires. For example, Piplup has a Defiance ability and a Prideful nature in the Pokedex. Their personality may be affected by it, leading to something like an undertone of arrogance.

There's quite a bit to it and I sought to make it as much a thing of Pokemon Nature World as possible instead of like a Pokemon GAME world. In the game world, there are set mechanics and if type alignments match, a victory or loss is almost unavoidable. PMD subverts that a lot as it is, but I want to continue that subversion.

A lot of this was fleshed out in a few 1x1 PMD RPs with a ton of input and feedback from the partners and I want to take this to the group level.

If this gains enough interest, I can launch a full RP with it, full of the cheesy platonic affection and messages of friendship Pokemon (at least the anime) is known for. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask either here or you can drop me a PM. If I can build a bigger world than this, I want to develop it as much as possible and there is SO MUCH that you could shed some light on.

Well, this sounds fantastic! I've been hankering for some Mystery Dungeon content, especially with the new game coming out. Mark me down as very interested! I love the idea of all the real world considerations being brought in.

Are you going to restrict the kinds of Pokemon we can pick? Is it going to be in any particular (canon) region, or a separate one?

Well, this sounds fantastic! I've been hankering for some Mystery Dungeon content, especially with the new game coming out. Mark me down as very interested! I love the idea of all the real world considerations being brought in.

Are you going to restrict the kinds of Pokemon we can pick? Is it going to be in any particular (canon) region, or a separate one?
Official Pokemon only- If the Pokemon hasn't been officially released yet, it is not allowed

For the purposes of a CS:
  • No Megas*
  • No Dynamaxing*
  • No Legendaries
  • No Mythicals
  • No Psuedos**
Most current gen logic and not restricted by region.

*These may be used for plot purposes.
**This includes the entire evo line

All of these will make an appearance, but those restricted from players will be an NPC, thus only temporary control only.

Otherwise, you'll have free reign

How would what moves our characters are able to use be determined? In the game some are learned at specific levels, others can be taught, etc.
Also what effective level would our characters be at in terms of determining power/when they evolve?
I'm planning on playing as a Gastly if that's alright.

How would what moves our characters are able to use be determined? In the game some are learned at specific levels, others can be taught, etc.
We'll have a starting level, though levels aren't gonna be all that important. For continuity purposes. At that level chosen, Pokemon will know EVERY move they can learn by leveling. Obviously the starting level will be low. I'm thinking 10-20 with 20 the absolute max for starting. I'm still debating on it

So the moves will go as follows
  • EVERY move learned by leveling up to the starting level. If you can learn 10 moves by level 15, then you have 10 moves
  • Every Egg move that can be learned with particular parents. Say I'm a Sneasel and my parent is an Alolan Ninetails. I get every move that comes with having an Alolan Ninetails parent
  • TMs and Move Tutor moves will be learned in the RP. No starting with them
Of course, continuity and legality will be checked and enforced because every move they know will be listed.

Also what effective level would our characters be at in terms of determining power/when they evolve?
That's a hard thing to pinpoint. The evolution levels for Pokemon are different and we certainly can't have powerhouses running around early on. For balancing purposes, it can be a rank thing, where Evolution becomes a thing as they rank up in the guild. I would imagine that with increased responsibility and leadership, it would show a maturity level enough for evolution.

They can level up, but they can't evolve until they reach a certain rank in the guild. That's kind of what I'm thinking.

It's very hard to regulate since the variance is so high between Pokemon

That's a hard thing to pinpoint. The evolution levels for Pokemon are different and we certainly can't have powerhouses running around early on. For balancing purposes, it can be a rank thing, where Evolution becomes a thing as they rank up in the guild. I would imagine that with increased responsibility and leadership, it would show a maturity level enough for evolution.

They can level up, but they can't evolve until they reach a certain rank in the guild. That's kind of what I'm thinking.

It's very hard to regulate since the variance is so high between Pokemon
Wait what if we keep a Pokemon from Evolving then, isn't Pokemon Evolution something that is optional, that sounds like a loophole towards this.

A level 100 Tepig, their is a example of what im saying.
A loophole.
I said the starting level will be between 10 and 20. I'm leaning at 15.

Levels pretty much aren't gonna matter for real in the actual RP anyways. It's just a starting gauge to ensure everyone is on a relatively level playing field in terms of moves and general power level.

interested! I love the mystery dungeon series!
Looks interesting!
Semi interested.
This is enough people for an RP.
I will get a thread up later on. Got army stuff to do all day, so at the latest it'll be up tonight

If any of you have any more questions, comments, concerns, or memes, please submit them and I will answer them. Memes better be dank though

interested! I love the mystery dungeon series!
Looks interesting!
Semi interested.

oh cool. So i can just make any pokemon and join in whenever?
On the character page, there are rules to character creation. So long as it falls within those bounds, you're good. Tag me when you make your character so I can set up an entrance point for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back