• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Title TBD] - Origins and Magic System Brainstorm

Do we wanna draw the list up now? That'd probably be a good idea, I think.
Actually, we should probably leave it here for Now. We've been going pretty fast on our own, we don't want to decide a bunch of stuff and leave everyone else behind without being able to add their own input.

Good morning, everyone! Can’t wait to do some more work today, though I won’t be available until 8 pm my time (I’m on PST), but feel free to discuss amongst yourselves and move forward without me!

Hi Guys! I really enjoyed reading the stuff you already came up with and would love to contribute to your brainstorming session. ^^
So I really like the idea of different magical frequencies. I think it's really creative. It also reminded of an article on dimensional theory I read a while ago.
Keep in mind I'm really not at all qualified to be explaining anything regarding a complex subject like that to anyone, but I'll try my best anyway.

So apparently, Beings that exist in one dimension are capable of perceiving everything residing in a dimension below their own, but not the other way around. For example, Humans exist in a 3-dimensional plane. Therefore, we're capable of perceiving 2-dimensional things like, for example, shadows. At the same time, we're unable to perceive or even imagine what any 4-dimensional object would look like. Hypothetically speaking, the same would apply to any creatures residing in a 4-dimensional plane. They'd be able to see us and our surroundings, while at the same time unable to perceive anything 5-dimensional.
So I've been thinking, maybe you could correlate that concept with the concept of different magical frequencies? So if human's and other creature's "base frequency" would be the first one, beings residing in higher dimensional planes would have higher frequencies as their most readily accessable one.

Does that make sense? ^^;

Last edited:
Oh and just to clarify, It would of course also be easier for beings of higher planes to tune themselves to lower frequencies. ^^

Dude that's actually really cool. They're so much applications for that. Whatever world is created, having it exist within several layers would be amazing.

In fact that reminds me of a scene from regular show where Mordecai and Rigby had a sugar rush moment, and kept passing through different planes of existence. I think the higher the plane, the slower everything else around them were perceived. The others could barely feel their presences though, as they appeared almost like The Flash in terms of movement.

In the case of magic though, having thirteen different "frequencies" that can be utilized by successfully matching them...

Last edited:
What about the races of this world? Are there only humans or are there other races like: elves, dwarfs, orcs, halflings, beast folk, and etc. Sort of like a modern fantasy world.

So I've been thinking, maybe you could correlate that concept with the concept of different magical frequencies? So if human's and other creature's "base frequency" would be the first one, beings residing in higher dimensional planes would have higher frequencies as their most readily accessable one.

Does that make sense? ^^;
I can imagine normal human are merely able to perceive the lowest frequency, while being(s) in highest dimensional plane would have the power to manipulate, well, everything as they'd have access to every layers of frequency. In some way, frequency would also works as the measurement of power level. This could potentially get really insane the further we go, but I like the idea in general since i like insane stuff anyway.

Also, I'm into having magical creatures exists in this world simply because I can imagine mythology being an actual record of people with access to higher frequency doing their stuffs. (e.g. Hercules being a real person with frequency related to superhuman strength, Sun Wukong being some random monkey who happen to possess a really high frequency that allows him to do crazy tasks, etc.)

What about the races of this world? Are there only humans or are there other races like: elves, dwarfs, orcs, halflings, beast folk, and etc. Sort of like a modern fantasy world.
I would suggest using the Tolkein (Lord of the Rings) Method.

You have a small number of Major Races, Major races meaning they're populous enough across the land to have distinctly different cultures even just within their own race. (In LotD these would be the Humans, Elves, Dwarvess, Goblins/Orcs)

Then you have a number of Minor races, which have a sizable domain of influence, but they only really stay in their one corner of the world. (Like the Hobbits, or the Ents)

After that you sprinkle in a multitude of different mystical races/creatures just kind of living between everything else. (Giant Eagles, Worgs, Olyphonts, Stone Giants, ghosts/spirits, Giant SPiders, etc.)

Thats sort of the Idea, but there'd be many other races and sub races like: vampires, lycanthropes, demons, half-breeds, and draws. Hell there would be even an modernized Underdark kingdom for the dark elves.

I prefer how The Magicians did it, where it was Humans with a few magical beings and monsters mixed in. Otherwise we run into the Bright problem.

Gonna toss in my two cents here:

-Not a fan of frequency=dimension, nor do I like the resulting hierarchy. I like the idea of frequencies being categories, not ranks. A different frequency is just a different frequency, not necessarily above or below (more powerful or less powerful than) any other. You can still have rankings, but they would be within each frequency. You could even “harmonize” two frequencies together and do a kind of fusion magic.
-If we keep the hierarchy anyway, I don’t see why humans are bottom of the barrel
-Think about how many different species of animals exist, my dude. Think about how big the planet is, not to mention if we have other worlds included. In my mind, any and all mythological creatures would exist. Frequencies could be like biological class or order. Skinwalkers, kitsune, and selkies would all “resonate” in the “illusion vibe”, so they’re prone to shapeshifting magic. I also think that creatures can learn to tap into other vibrations, it’s just harder. (Like, people with ectomorph body types don’t naturally put on muscle, but that doesn’t make it impossible, it just makes it harder.)

If it ain't broke... we could just do it with a few modifications and use OCs.
I didn’t make this RP for that, so if your contributions are only going to revolve around that source material, I would really recommend you make a Brakebills RP! You’d probably have a lot more fun

I didn’t make this RP for that, so if your contributions are only going to revolve around that source material, I would really recommend you make a Brakebills RP! You’d probably have a lot more fun
Then why even mention it in the interest check?
Either it's going to end up being similar to The Magicians, you're going to end up with a world not resembling ours, or you're going to run into the Bright problem. The second would run into the problem of not being modern and the third you said you wanted to avoid.

Then why even mention it in the interest check?
Either it's going to end up being similar to The Magicians, you're going to end up with a world not resembling ours, or you're going to run into the Bright problem. The second would run into the problem of not being modern and the third you said you wanted to avoid.
Calm down, bud. I mentioned The Magicians and Harry Potter when I said “I’ve been watching/reading this stuff and it made me crave magic, let’s make an urban fantasy world”. I didn’t say it was going to be based on that, nor did I say any inspiration would be drawn from it.

“Urban fantasy” doesn’t have to resemble our world. “Urban” just means “city”. It could easily be a city that runs on magic publicly with magical street gangs and image magic replacing Facetime.

Anyhow, you’re being aggressive and this is your warning. Chill out and get on board with an original brand-new world or leave.

Alright, so I think I'm caught up on whats going one but I can't remember if a time zone was decided on. Like is it going to be set in modern time with up to date inventions or in the past with no cars and such?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back