Character Theory Tips For Writing an Overly Edgy Character?

GoldenSlime

"Is Satan a Beagle Puppy?!"
I have a character who's intended to be overly edgy so I'll often sneak in little things like;
"His edgyness was overwhelming."
"He was rated E for Edge."
"He was edgier than a knife."
"His unspoiled Grimdark was beautifully edgy."
"'Teenagers scare the living shit out of me, they could care less as long as someone'll bleed but YOU'LL be bleeding today!'"
"When you're around him, you feel like you're falling off a cliff or, shall I say, an EDGE."
"'I'm not a cookie cutter, I'm even edgier.'" (lol double meanings)
"He's so edgy, anyone who gazed upon them felt the searing pain of one thousand paper cuts." (by Sea Jay Sea Jay )
"He was like a pizza cutter. All edge, no point." (by The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect )
"His misery was immeasurable and his suffering was constant. With the pressure of the world and the weight of dread on his shoulders, he could only find solace on Deviantart and Wattpad: the two small specks of light in his purple (the cool kind, not the gay kind)-tinted life." (by Salt Lord Salt Lord )

All very lovely and edgy lines, but I really want to make sure there's no doubt that my character is intended to be OVERLY edgy and I'm not just a bad RPer. Any tips?

If you're writing a story with multiple characters, try to use other characters and the setting as a foil to make it more pronounced. Someone muttering about 'hatedeath' lands far more comedically if they're at the cotton candy stand. Further to this point, conflict the actions taken with the mentality of the character. They might monologue about the pointlessness of emotional attachment while volunteering at a dog shelter, making sure to begrudgingly give a treat to a poodle that he calls worthless meat. Keep it simple. The main comedy would be the contradiction between his edgelord mentality and his overly-unedgy behaviours.

The difference between bad roleplaying and deliberately making a ridiculous character is two fold

1. Have a sense of humor about your character. I've made a deliberately sue-ish character before that was over the top bananas. My core philosophy with her was always escalate. If challenged just get more and more outrageous. Have the character flat out lie if it helps. But be sure to keep it all in fun.

2. Keep an eye on your execution. See the thing about bad roleplaying is it involves dictating to other people how they have to respond to your character OR taking over the roleplay for your own needs. So basically if a player calls your character an childishly obnoxious idiot don't take it personally. This ties into having a sense of humor. Just laugh it off and move on. If a player happens to defeat your character / prove them wrong / make them look bad. LET IT STAND. I mean sure you can have your character lie to THEMSELVES that - ugh i totes meant to fall on my face and that normie totes didn't out edge me because I AM THE MOST EDGE. But like don't actually rewrite logic or someone else's post to make your character look better.

Hopefully that makes sense?

I have no tips, other than perhaps what the others above me said, but reading those quotes just made my entire week so thank you <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back