Time Travel as a Plot Device

Does this seem good/cool to you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In either my novel or RP, whichever comes first, I plan to use time travel as a plot device to shape particularly one character, I might add more but I want to focus on a certain character. Those familiar with Ocarina of Time might catch on in the middle of the explanation.

In a scenario there are 3 characters. C and V1 and V2

C and V1 progress through the plot normally. They are good companions/friends/lovers.

At one point in time, C and V1 were caught in an ambush wherein the fate of V1 is not known but C assumes V1 is dead due to the high possibility presented to him. C presses through in V1's memory

C progresses through the plot normally, and finds another character, V2. C and V2 progress through the plot normally. V2 does things that would require a great amount of foresight and luck. V2 is a silent, nonchalant companion who strangely follows C for no reason at all besides wanting to keep him safe. C's other companions are suspicious of V2

C comes to a point where C can time travel. C goes to the point in time where V1 is presumed dead by his past self and saves V1, taking V1 to the future.

C tells V1 of his adventures in detail.

In the future, V1 experiences 'disharmony' from being in the wrong timeline (I'll find a way to make it more understandable). C happily offers to send V1 to the past to a location where C, in the future, intends to go, expecting to find V1 safe.

V2 offers to follow C to this safe place where V1 in the past has gone.

Now shift to V1's perspective as V1 goes to the past. V1 cannot stay idle, knowing the peril C faces. She dons a disguise as she knows that the C in her timeline knows she is dead, and shouldn't adversely affect the timeline. V1 changes her identity to V2 and adventures with C as a silent but loyal and dependable companion in hopes that she doesn't expose herself, and messing up the timeline in the process.

At the end of the story where both the timelines of V1/V2 and C meet at the house where V1 is supposed to stay in, C is distraught that V1/V2 isn't in the house. V2 reveals she is V1 all along, and they lived happily ever after. AND THEY MADE A BAJILLION DOLLARS.

Inspired by Stein's Gate and Ocarina of Time

Last edited by a moderator:
papachan said:
@LeonardPCollins
Sounds pretty interesting, though I think it would be difficult to execute. Seriously a wonderful idea though.
I agree here. Thus type of concept (time travel) needs a masterful touch to even present the illusion of playing off well. As for actually playing off well, I am yet to see a case that could resist that degrees of inspection.

However you only need the illusion. I think this idea needs a few less twists, and the rest will be about how you write it-do you have the skill to write timetravelling, something even pros struggle to do? I guess we'll see.

Idea said:
I agree here. Thus type of concept (time travel) needs a masterful touch to even present the illusion of playing off well. As for actually playing off well, I am yet to see a case that could resist that degrees of inspection.
However you only need the illusion. I think this idea needs a few less twists, and the rest will be about how you write it-do you have the skill to write timetravelling, something even pros struggle to do? I guess we'll see.
The twist is something I want to mindfuck my fellow roleplayers or readers if it comes to me publishing such an idea, that's the point of the twist. As for capability, it's all done by a machine. There's no 'ability to time-warp' per se, as it'd be too game breaking.

I said "twists", not twist. You have more than one that could, as you mentioned "mindfuck" roleplayers/readers.

However, if you plan on doing this "mindfuck", let me tell you, you aren't likely to get good advise. I (and I suspect the person who posted before me too) was thinking from a perspective of something that would take collaboration, either through roleplaying or reading. Something where you are supposed to be engaged in the story. What you're aiming at results in the opposite..

While this attempt to confuse the reader/ other rper is not bad PER SAY, I wouldn't advise it. You are excluding the factor of immersion, necessary to make a story enjoyable. A cahotic, meaningless plot, such as one designed with such intent, will usually result in the reader/ropers feeling like they have been wasting their time with you.

Now, there are people who enjoy it. The popularity if movies like "shutter island" is a testament to that. But, in average, those people are looking to be surprised for better effect, and hence getting proper advise for such an idea is simply impossible. Instead, I'd recommend you go and search for other works with similar concepts and goals and attempt yo construct your own, based on the "thriller" genre.

Idea said:
I said "twists", not twist. You have more than one that could, as you mentioned "mindfuck" roleplayers/readers.
However, if you plan on doing this "mindfuck", let me tell you, you aren't likely to get good advise. I (and I suspect the person who posted before me too) was thinking from a perspective of something that would take collaboration, either through roleplaying or reading. Something where you are supposed to be engaged in the story. What you're aiming at results in the opposite..

While this attempt to confuse the reader/ other rper is not bad PER SAY, I wouldn't advise it. You are excluding the factor of immersion, necessary to make a story enjoyable. A cahotic, meaningless plot, such as one designed with such intent, will usually result in the reader/ropers feeling like they have been wasting their time with you.

Now, there are people who enjoy it. The popularity if movies like "shutter island" is a testament to that. But, in average, those people are looking to be surprised for better effect, and hence getting proper advise for such an idea is simply impossible. Instead, I'd recommend you go and search for other works with similar concepts and goals and attempt yo construct your own, based on the "thriller" genre.
It isn't the plot, only something that takes place within the plot. Readers/ RPers are engaged in the plot, this is just something on the sidelines to potentially get the results I want. As much as I want to do a lot of research, all the time I can allot to researching can only go as far as me looking at the title and reading what it is about, as someone with a lot on his plate, it's something I find difficulty in doing. I'm not looking for a plot to thrill people plainly, it's just something on the side that may or may not reach the desired effects.

LeonardPCollins said:
It isn't the plot, only something that takes place within the plot. Readers/ RPers are engaged in the plot, this is just something on the sidelines to potentially get the results I want. As much as I want to do a lot of research, all the time I can allot to researching can only go as far as me looking at the title and reading what it is about, as someone with a lot on his plate, it's something I find difficulty in doing. I'm not looking for a plot to thrill people plainly, it's just something on the side that may or may not reach the desired effects.
My critic was directed at those "desired effects". The path to them (and the success in achieving them) will leave people allienated and annoyed, except for a few who have that particular inetrest, but those would be very unlikely to be able to provide proper advise.

Then in that case so be it, it isn't meant for everyone. It's just a sort of epilogue for C and V1. As long as the plot is enjoyable for everyone, it doesn't matter if this catches only a few eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back