• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Through Sweat and Steam: Victorian Steampunk European Nation Builder

Rosavelt

OFFICIAL OOC

Through Sweat and Steam
C_amFN8WsAAUk2V.jpg

Set in an alternate reality where the great minds of Nicola Tesla, Thomas Edison, and Isaac Newton were all born in the year 1300 A.D. Together they were able to improve the technological capabilities of European powers at a fast and unique speed. By 1450 A.D steam and gas technologies have turned the world into a Victorian era steampunk. Repeating rifles and new artillery pieces are the latest technology for European militaries. As for their navies, steam and gas powered ships push the possibilities in terms of trade and exploration.

A big part of the game will be using a scribble map. Once accepted you will have access to edit the scribble map. Scribble map allows you to zoom in, easily outline areas & fill in, as well as see the geography.

The map will be an important part of the game as terrain and other features will be taken into consideration. Players will use the map to: strategize, customize their nation, use as a reference, and negotiate with other players. Battle will also unfold on the map giving players freedom in how they want to fight and move their armies.

Role-playing will also be an important feature in how the administration of your faction develops and leads. Personalities can develop, positive or negative depending on how your character is created. The development of your faction will also depend on role-play as well as politics. Trad deals can be made, military agreements, pretty much anything between players is a green light.

Politics and war are part of the game. More will be disclosed later but the game will be split into turns that will span a few months. Players are free to make whatever moves they wish during these turns with other players. Battle/war will have set stages which will be:

Preparations.
Strategize.
Battle (If the battle is not decided it goes onto the “Later Stages”
Mid-battle moves + Regular Total World Politics (As long as needed)
Results.

Battles and wars will ultimately be decided on:
*The three bolded ones are most important

1. How good was your strategy?
2. How prepared was your army? Think in terms of supplies, skill, moral, energy, and positioning. Also think about unit diversity. An army just made up of foot soldiers will be not fair well attacking defensive steampunk machines with artillery support.
3. How did your opponent fight you and how big was their army?

4. How well did your forces work together?
5. How well did you use your special units (i.e artillery, steampunk machines)?
6. How well you kept them supplied.

This map here will be used for reference.
Reference Map
Please note the following before opening:

1. This is just a starting reference to give you an idea of the political landscape of the area.
2. The scripple map is the main map we will be using.
3. It has some slight changes:
a. The Kingdom of Romania has been added.
b. The Prussian Confederation has been added removing most of the minor and small Germanic states and kingdoms.
c. The Kingdom of Portugal has been added. The Kingdom of Portugal is the only European country with colonies.
Besides these slight changes everything is very similar. Feel free to get creative as long as it somewhat follows the reference map.
Players can choose any nation they want.

This is just an image of the main area (inside red square) and 3 pre-existing countries at the start of the game. Players can choose to play these countries.
This is a view of the scribble maps. Please keep in mind this is just a view of the map. Once given access you can zoom in and see much more detail. The area in the red square are the active zones.
Starting Map.png

For rifle technology the Springfield Model 1861 is the rifle most commonly used. Rifle technology can advance through research and design. Repeating technology is even starting to be used.

Artillery is advancing the most. With oil and steam technology artillery is firing with power and precision. Field guns are at a 1890-1905 technology level but through creative design using steampunk technology players can develop world war 1 type artillery technology.

Basic steampunk machines are starting to hit the field. The development and designs, as well as efficiency, are up to the players.
0f4fcabc5539fc67fee1080246cac936.jpg

I want to take this interest check and see if there are people willing to partake in this epic role play game. When there is enough people interested, looking for at least 5, I will go ahead and finalize the world and share it with members. There will also be a discord server for easy communication and organization of info. If you are interested at all please leave a reply here. Any questions or comments feel free to leave as well. If you are really interested and want to join feel free to leave a basic application to reserve your country spot. Once an official OOC post is made an official character sheet will be made.

Basic application.
Forum Name:
Time zone:
Faction:

Last edited:
Forum Name: SpazTheButcher
Time zone:US Eastern Standard time
Faction: Kingdom of England
Two questions, will discord be required? And can you make a .JPG? I cannot view things on Imgur

Last edited:
Oh, a steampunk RP! I’m down to join. :)

Edit;; I forgot to fill out the form. OTL

Forum Name: Ingenue
Time zone: EST
Faction: Kingdom of France

Also a question, how will the mechanics of the battles and wars work? I’m imagining this to be like Risk or have some form of dice elements.

Also a question, how will the mechanics of the battles and wars work? I’m imagining this to be like Risk or have some form of dice elements.

I can't go to in-depth, but the basics is that there will be some form of dice elements but odds will be depending on various factors (terrain, strategy, positioning, army units, ect..) So in a sense, how you play affects your odds when it comes to war events.

I can't go to in-depth, but the basics is that there will be some form of dice elements but odds will be depending on various factors (terrain, strategy, positioning, army units, ect..) So in a sense, how you play affects your odds when it comes to war events.

Okay. I think I understand. For example, good terrain results in higher crop yields which feeds more more economic growth due to trading. That all sounds great to me!

Thanks for clarifying! Feel free to correct me, if I’m misinterpreting it. :)

Okay. I think I understand. For example, good terrain results in higher crop yields which feeds more more economic growth due to trading. That all sounds great to me!

Thanks for clarifying! Feel free to correct me, if I’m misinterpreting it. :)
That's pretty much correct.

Also in combat to. If one players has better terrain, (high ground, defending river, ect.) they'll have higher defensive odds.

That's pretty much correct.

Also in combat to. If one players has better terrain, (high ground, defending river, ect.) they'll have higher defensive odds.
You've covered rifles and artillery, but what's the general technological advancement of ships and society in general?

If Thomas Edison existed in the past, does that mean America does too? Does Europe have much knowledge of the outside world at all beyond Africa?

You've covered rifles and artillery, but what's the general technological advancement of ships and society in general?

If Thomas Edison existed in the past, does that mean America does too? Does Europe have much knowledge of the outside world at all beyond Africa?
Thank you for your questions. I do plan on creating an informative thread once there is enough interest to start a game which will probably explain and answer a lot more. In the meantime hopefully my short explanations will help answer your questions.

America does not yet exist. It was not specifically Thomas Edison who already lived but a "Mind of Thomas Edison". Over all just the presence of a genius innovator, along with three others, has pushed the world forward in technology. Pretty much the main point.

Europe has knowledge of the "old world" (Europe, Africa, Asia, Some Oceania) but the "new world" (North and South America) has yet been discovered. Mainly, players will be given the chance to be the first global explorer, colonizers, merchants, and empires. At the start of the game it is only Portugal that has some small colonies in West Africa.

I have a tech tree I plan on adding once an official thread is made but in short, societal technology is at an early Victorian level, so picture 1830s. Steam and coal powered factories are a new thing in society.

Naval technology is at a also at an early Victorian level but early steam powered ships will be introduced at the start.

With the tech tree players have the possibility to push their factions technology to a steam punk fashion of WW1 society and military. But, this will all unfold as the game grows.

Been looking for a nation builder, this one interests me. I have a question though. Historically the Kingdom of Naples was a vassalage Aragon. Will that be the case in this?

Been looking for a nation builder, this one interests me. I have a question though. Historically the Kingdom of Naples was a vassalage Aragon. Will that be the case in this?
The Kingdom of Naples will be an independent faction and not related to Aragon. Thanks for asking!

Rosavelt Rosavelt btw once we take control of a nation is a change of the nations government possible? Like for instance a monarchy to something else?

Rosavelt Rosavelt can I get a little info about the knights of Rhodes I am interested in them are they an option?
The reference map of Europe is an accurate map of the world in 1500A.D.

Historically I don't know a whole lot about the Knights of Rhodes. For the game they can be an option but to be honest we'd have to tweak it a little so you are not just a few tiny islands.

The reference map of Europe is an accurate map of the world in 1500A.D.

Historically I don't know a whole lot about the Knights of Rhodes. For the game they can be an option but to be honest we'd have to tweak it a little so you are not just a few tiny islands.
didn't know they were a real thing but the placement and idea of a smaller island nation seemed interesting if its too much trouble too implement I can try to pick something they just caught my eye on first glance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back