• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Those Cursed Stars

thespacekid

children, children
Hi, so this is the pitch for my RP. The world is heavily inspired by The Bartimaeus Sequence, written by Jonathan Stroud, but diverges in quite a few ways. It also has an aesthetic similar to Shadowrun Hong Kong and other science-fantasy worlds. If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them below, I'll read them all

The World

An alternate Earth, one where magic pervades society to unimaginable lengths, from secretive exchanges in back alleys to the rise and fall of nations. In a world where magic can be learned, it is heavily cloaked in a web of lies and secrets, designed to keep as many people out of it's realm as possible. However, every once in a while, someone will come across it's secrets, and only those willing to let go of who they were, and their lives before that point and give themselves up completely to the craft are accepted into it's fold. The source of this magic is spirits, commonly called "demons" by magicians, though this term is considered highly offensive by spirits. Magicians can call upon spirits and bind their powers and draw upon them.

Summoning

The Other Place, a dimension running parallel to the magicians', where spirits roam and mingle freely, as a mass of colours and consciousness - essence, can be linked to ours. Magicians draw two pentacles, one for themselves, and one to summon the demon from. Here, names are of utmost value, and knowing someone's given name can give them immense power over them. Spirits are also controlled by knowing their true names, and thus disobeying magicians who know their true names and try to bind them will harm their essence. The magician calls out to the spirit, and the spirit must appear within 8 seconds, failing which it's essence will be damaged.

However, a spirit must be bound to this Earth in some way. Weaker spirits may be bound to objects, thus enchanting them and conferring power upon them. This manifests in the form of Talismans, Amulets, Scrying Orbs, Vigilance Spheres, and so on. More powerful spirits will break out of objects, and thus must be bound to stronger links, in almost every case, the body of the magician. This will allow the magician to tap into the powers of the spirits. Keep in mind, though, that spirits will always try and break free. In the case of objects, if an object is too heavily damaged, the spirit can break free. In the case of a spirit bound to the magician, as long as the magician is emotionally and mentally stable, the spirit will be under control. The moment this is disturbed, the spirits may be able to overcome the mind of the magician, and break free, causing additional harm on the way out. A spirit too powerful for the magician to control may instantly drive them crazy, or worse. Care is to be maintained.

Types of Demons

Imps

Barely worthy of classification, Imps have little power, although certain sub-types of them fulfill useful roles, such as acting as Search Spheres, Vigilance Spheres, or elemental abilities on weapons and so on. Imps are commonly used by magicians as messengers, sentries, or other minor roles. 

Foliots

Foliots are considerably less powerful than Djinn, and presumably other beings more powerful than Foliots, view them with some disdain. Capable enough demons, they can be bound to objects such as talismans, amulets, weapons by average to capable magicians, and provide enchantments such as illusions, basic levitation, poisoning, underwater breathing, and so on.

Djinn

Djinn are the third most powerful kind of demon; most demons summoned by good magicians tend to fall into this category. Djinn are also the first category of demons that must be bound to the body of a magician. Numerous and varied, each Djinn generally has a specialty. Weaker Djinn are mostly elemental in nature, but once Djinn get stronger they can use combinations of elements.

Afrits

Afrits are the second strongest conventional class of demon, and are seen much more often  than Marids. They are spirits that can be bound only by the most powerful of magicians, and very few have been known to successfully bind Afrits for long periods of time. Afrits provide access to advanced forms of magic, such as sensory magic, chronomancy, body enhancement and some rumours even say flight can be achieved.

Marid

Marids are the strongest form of classified summoned demon. Marids are so powerful that they leave behind traces of their powers that can be tracked, similar to the slime left behind by a snail. It is unwise to use this analogy in the presence of one though, for obvious reasons. Even a weak Marid usually takes two magicians to be summoned. Nobody has been known to ever bind a Marid, only force them to carry out a specific task before they escape back to the Other Place.

Artifacts

Even more secretive than the knowledge of magic is the knowledge of Magical Artifacts. Objects of incredible power, they are impossible to differentiate from normal objects unless people know exactly what the Artifacts are. Many ancient, many new, nobody really knows how Artifacts are created, and even if they do know, nobody tells. However, what magicians do know about Artifacts is that they contain incredibly powerful demons trapped inside them. To all known knowledge, it should be impossible to keep such demons captive in objects and not directly in the summoner's body, but Artifacts somehow defy the law and remain objects of incredible power. That is, of course, if the summoner can control the demon held within.

The Plot

The year 2028. Things in the world are more or less peaceful. Small conflicts happen here and there, but not much more. The most significant change to have happened is the rise of megacities. With population and globalisation rising, it was a matter of time before large multicultural cities across the world such as Hong Kong, New York, Mumbai, London, etc turned into city states in their own right. However, the story begins in a shady bar near Baghdad. In the backroom of a converted bomb shelter by the name Incognito, you meet with a certain man, known only to be enigmatic and impossibly wealthy. He has many names, but the one most people know him as is Asheriy Mathore, the owner of multinational corporations like HSO Industrial, Kenai Robotech, and AM Media Networks among others. The magic community, on the other hand, knows him as the powerful summoner, Redshift, and he has found a few runners worthy of running tasks for him.

industrial_city_by_madspartan013-d6eh9sp.jpg

The Baghdad Central Marketplace, Level 3

Through some means, be it passed notes, or quick whispers, you reached Incognito and asked for Redshift. From there, you were taken to the backroom after being frisked thoroughly by a few strongmen and seated around in comfortable room, albeit a little hazy with smoke. With the dull thumping of electronic music playing in the club not making the presence of Redshift hidden enough. As you think you've been stood up on another job by another flaky customer, he appears. Bursting through the door in a flowing white tunic and a deep red jacket-vest, followed by two bodyguards close behind, he walks in with his arms outstretched, as if greeting everyone. Little do you know how significantly this man will change your life in the time to come.

comission___cyberpunk_pub_by_brosa-d3bje45.jpgbar____edge__by_solarsouth-d9ot1q6.jpg

The Cast

At the bottom of every society are those who feed off of it, latching onto it for one sole purpose - money. Also known as Bounty Hunters, this is a profession popular among quite a few, considering how the most popular magician occupation is crime. The characters start off as casual bounty hunters, by chance looking for jobs at the local tavern downtown, and one particular job catches your collective eye. The pay is good and the job sounds like a breeze, you decide to work together to complete this bounty. 

imageproxy.jpe

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wave, @The Broken Mind, @Johannes, @Tedronai, @RatFlail, @Ambela

Hey guys! I apologise for having disappeared after putting up the interest check, but RL came in the way so much I didn't expect it. Anyway, here is a sightly more detailed interest check. Let me know if you're still interested!

I'm also looking for a Co-GM so if anyone wants to help out that'll be great. Possibly someone who has a good understanding of worldbuilding and maybe even combat in such a scenario.

Awesome! I can't wait. My notifications have been messed up recently. Please tag me when you begin. ;D

Gah, as much as I tried to stay away from this, I can't help myself from a good Shadowrun-inspired setting. Curse you for making such a tempting and appealing RP, I'll have to grace it with my presence to see that it's done right *^*

/sarcasm

Looks fantastic, definitely caught my interest with the plot as much as the enticing visuals. I haven't read the Bartimaeus Sequence, so if any knowledge of the RP is dependent on that, I'll have to look it up on a wiki or something, but I don't think it should be too much of an issue. What types of characters are acceptable to be played, if there are any exclusions? I assume that just about anyone can become a bounty hunter, are there any limitations or restrictions on what they can or cannot be before taking this job? Obviously each one is going to bring their unique skills to the table, I was just wondering at what level they were allowed to be skilled XD

Woo! That's enough interested to start off so I'll start making the hosted project right away. I'll tag you all once it's done! 

To answer your question, @Stickdom, no knowledge of the Bartimaeus Sequence is required. The concepts of demons and magic is inspired by it, but it's mostly an original universe. I'll be putting up additional lore so you guys can understand it better. 

The characters that you play can be anything. However to keep things on a level play field to start with, in terms of magic ability the players will be more or less average magicians who show promise. So say they can summon Djinn, the first conventional class body-bind demons, in addition to keeping a few Imps or Foliot bound to objects. Of course, there are many many types of Djinn and the powers vary.

Woo! That's enough interested to start off so I'll start making the hosted project right away. I'll tag you all once it's done! 

To answer your question, @Stickdom, no knowledge of the Bartimaeus Sequence is required. The concepts of demons and magic is inspired by it, but it's mostly an original universe. I'll be putting up additional lore so you guys can understand it better. 

The characters that you play can be anything. However to keep things on a level play field to start with, in terms of magic ability the players will be more or less average magicians who show promise. So say they can summon Djinn, the first conventional class body-bind demons, in addition to keeping a few Imps or Foliot bound to objects. Of course, there are many many types of Djinn and the powers vary.

Do they necessarily have to be magicians? I'm actually interested in making a character who is inept at magic proper, but makes up for it with other skills.

Do they necessarily have to be magicians? I'm actually interested in making a character who is inept at magic proper, but makes up for it with other skills.

That's an interesting doubt. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. So how do you suggest you would match up?

That's an interesting doubt. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. So how do you suggest you would match up?

I was going to attempt to make what is commonly known as a "counterfeit mage", someone with no real skill in magic but mimics it with other means so others believe they are a magician. In this case, since it's a sci-if futuristic setting, my character would be some form of "mad scientist" that uses hidden gadgets and technology to make it look like he knows magic. Your sword shoots fire out of it from the Imp you trapped inside? So does my wand - after I flip the hidden switch in my pocket connected to the tiny fuel tank for the flamethrower. Your Foliot-enchanted talisman creates illusions? Well, my amulet can make holograms - as long as I'm pressing the button and have some sunlight to reflect. 

So, all in all, he'd be along for the ride trying to disguise the fact that he's not actually a magician, bluffing and sneaking his way around in search of loot to loot and treasure to swipe. The other mages would be able to tell he's not an actual magician if he slips up, so he's more of a rogue type character in order to keep himself undercover. He won't have access to the more powerful abilities of the higher-level spirits, but he can generate the lower powers from his devices at will rather than having to rely on a fickle outsider creature to do his bidding. That would give him the ability to mimic up to Foliot-level powers, since those are bound to objects, and unless he starts building gadgets into his own body, he won't be able to reproduce the effects of djinni or afrits believably to the other mages.

If you are into tabletop roleplaying at all, this is the Pathfinder archetype I got the inspiration from, with some setting modifications made to fit into your story, of course:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/counterfeit-mage

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested! 

There was once a series I read called "The magician's guild" and this has such a nice similar ring to it, i love it!

I was going to attempt to make what is commonly known as a "counterfeit mage", someone with no real skill in magic but mimics it with other means so others believe they are a magician. In this case, since it's a sci-if futuristic setting, my character would be some form of "mad scientist" that uses hidden gadgets and technology to make it look like he knows magic. Your sword shoots fire out of it from the Imp you trapped inside? So does my wand - after I flip the hidden switch in my pocket connected to the tiny fuel tank for the flamethrower. Your Foliot-enchanted talisman creates illusions? Well, my amulet can make holograms - as long as I'm pressing the button and have some sunlight to reflect. 

So, all in all, he'd be along for the ride trying to disguise the fact that he's not actually a magician, bluffing and sneaking his way around in search of loot to loot and treasure to swipe. The other mages would be able to tell he's not an actual magician if he slips up, so he's more of a rogue type character in order to keep himself undercover. He won't have access to the more powerful abilities of the higher-level spirits, but he can generate the lower powers from his devices at will rather than having to rely on a fickle outsider creature to do his bidding. That would give him the ability to mimic up to Foliot-level powers, since those are bound to objects, and unless he starts building gadgets into his own body, he won't be able to reproduce the effects of djinni or afrits believably to the other mages.

If you are into tabletop roleplaying at all, this is the Pathfinder archetype I got the inspiration from, with some setting modifications made to fit into your story, of course:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/counterfeit-mage

Wow, I would love for a character like that! Totally in for it! If you want, we could figure out how to bump you up to the power level of the other players, or if you'd like, you could stay at a respectable disadvantage so there's scope for more character growth!

Wow, I would love for a character like that! Totally in for it! If you want, we could figure out how to bump you up to the power level of the other players, or if you'd like, you could stay at a respectable disadvantage so there's scope for more character growth!

Actually, I kinda like the idea of him being slightly less powerful than the actual mages, that gives him a little room to grow, but it also balances it out, since the actual mages have to summon a set number of spirits to use their abilities, where he just has to put together a device from whatever scraps he finds lying around. He's kind of a "quantity over quality" kinda guy, sometimes his gadgets don't work right, but he's got enough to cover his weak spots at least. He's already on the power level of an average mage, and as they get more advanced and powerful with the stronger spirits, he'll have to keep up with stronger and more intricate devices, possibly digging as deep as body modifications to emulate the higher level spirits.

You know what they say: " [COLOR= rgb(37, 37, 37)]Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's Third Law[/COLOR]

Actually, I kinda like the idea of him being slightly less powerful than the actual mages, that gives him a little room to grow, but it also balances it out, since the actual mages have to summon a set number of spirits to use their abilities, where he just has to put together a device from whatever scraps he finds lying around. He's kind of a "quantity over quality" kinda guy, sometimes his gadgets don't work right, but he's got enough to cover his weak spots at least. He's already on the power level of an average mage, and as they get more advanced and powerful with the stronger spirits, he'll have to keep up with stronger and more intricate devices, possibly digging as deep as body modifications to emulate the higher level spirits.

You know what they say: " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's Third Law

Clarke's Law is exactly the law I use as inspiration for all of my RPs! I try to have a healthy confusion between magic and technology. This RP, however turns out leans too heavily on magic.

I am really looking forward to your character! Go ahead and submit the app, I'll put my oc up soon too, just a bit busy with college right now.

Clarke's Law is exactly the law I use as inspiration for all of my RPs! I try to have a healthy confusion between magic and technology. This RP, however turns out leans too heavily on magic.

I am really looking forward to your character! Go ahead and submit the app, I'll put my oc up soon too, just a bit busy with college right now.

I noticed it was surprisingly magical for a futuristic setting, so that also helped spark the idea of my technomancer character. Who knows, maybe he'll actually pick up some real magic along the way by mimicking it so often, he might accidentally draw a real magic circle and surprise! he's got a real spirit to deal with XD Working on my CS shortly, I understand the college business, I just got done with that last week or so, so I'm still sore from being rough ridden over XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back