• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy π•₯𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖'𝕀 𝕒 𝕀𝕑𝕠π•₯ π•šπ•Ÿ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕠𝕠𝕕𝕀... π•₯π•€π•¦π•žπ•¦ 𝕩 π•žπ•ͺ𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕠

tsumu

simp
01d7f6320e682bc3bd16312c3c2ec7c6.jpg

there's a spot in the woods where the
air is crisp and cold
the land meets the sea in a tense union,
a slow, crashing kiss
the water pummels the coast; crying,
screaming, demanding

sacrifice

π••π•’π•Ÿπ•šπ•–π• {π•˜π• π•• π•šπ•€ π•žπ•ͺ π•›π•¦π••π•˜π•–} π•–π•π•šπ•¦π•šπ•• {π•˜π• π•• π•šπ•€ π•˜π•£π•’π•Ÿπ••π•¦π•–π•£}
8f6ce03094d68db6d34c4bfc52950848.gif

daniel eliud | 18 | church of the deepwater lord

deep in the woods, there's a pristine little village.
oceanside is a quaint place with picket fence homes
and a gorgeous church with intricate stained glass
windows. it's a place plucked straight from californian
suburbs.

and it's crawling with monsters.

daniel is one such monster. along with his mother,
father, and sisters, daniel plays perfect member of
the church, living day in and day out unaware of the
outside world. all that exists is their little village, the
forest, and the sea.

his god is merciful and good, but he requires sacrifice.
the leaders of the deepwater church keep the grisly
practices of the church behind a thick curtain, allowing
their members to thrive and worship, blissfully unaware
of the slaughter that is required to keep the lord happy.

in his younger years, daniel questioned the church--
but that was met with swift discipline from both his
parents and the bishop. since then, his faith has been
strong, and his actions are guided by the lord.

Last edited:

CF2237D8-CB02-4691-A23A-6C8ABB792590.jpeg

Oliver Le | 19 | lone venturer

A lost boy, tired of society and the way life treats him. Leaves his home, exploring the states in hopes of finding a place to hide. Not as a wanted criminal, but as a runaway son who just wants to be alone from trouble.

Never worked out.

He left to Oregon, wanting to stay by the ocean and take in the peace. Not expecting any trouble to come his way, but the world doesnt work that way. Cause even if he did his best to isolate himself, he’ll never be alone.

Nor will he be safe.

The sounds of crunchy leaves and twigs breaking underneath your feet arent unfamiliar to Oliver anymore. Walking through the thick underbrush of the forest he found himself in, far far away from home. He never expected to get this far. He assumed after he left his shit home in Illinois, that hed make it to Texas or wherever. He never expected to make it to his actual destination, though he can’t remember why he chose this one.

Oregon. Right by the beach and forest. A place far from home. A place isolated from people yet has what he needs. Yeah maybe simple camps and boy scouts didnt teach him enough on how to survive in the wild, but he’ll figure it out. He’d even be happy if he dies here. As long as hes alone. He only wants to be alone.

The weather was nice, the sun setting. Oliver couldnt see the sun through the trees, nor could he see much. He didnt know where he was going. Perhaps a open area for a camp. Maybe just a cave. Just some place he can settle in for a bit. But even if he wonders around lost at night… he was always lost to begin with. Theres no backing down. And theres not regrets.

He glanced around the gloomy and peaceful forest, the sound of ocean waves heard in the far distance. It soothed him. Hes alone with the world. Which was exactly what he wanted. He felt at peace for once. Felt he can finally spend one of his birthdays in a place he felt safe in. He just hoped nothing bad would occur in just a few days, his birthday was so close yet the sense of danger always pricked at him. Who knows if he was actually alone.

He just wanted to forget everything.

He walked and walked, spotting an opening right as the sky started to darken. Yet, he saw something unfamiliar in a forest. A shed? A cabin? A house? A building? A… town? Why does it seem to be a full town in the middle of the forest?!

Out of curiosity he just ran, ran rowards it. Dodging branches and stumps as he held his hiking bag tightly. When he finally got onto the dirt path that lead into the neat village. It confused him. He saw or heard no one… yet it didnt seem abandoned. But, he wanted to be naive. And assumed it was. Just so he could feel safe in this strange place.

Was kinda upset he still had to deal with the traces of humans, but what did he expect?

He was glancing around the town, it reminding him of those wild wild west dessert villages just in a forest. They were small houses yet… he knew theyd be cozy if he had what he needed. But what even was that? A fire? His phone? Or perhaps… a person?

Suddenly Oliver tensed at a slight sound coming from a building he can now identify as a church. Assuming it was a rat or squirrel, he silently walked towards it. His heart picking up pace as if he was gonna be caught by surprise. He put his ear to the door slowly, fully expecting to hear nothing yet still checking.

He let his guard down a while ago, in the past states. So he wasnt aware of anyone or anything nearby…

{1} d a n i e l
oceanside was so charming when it was empty. the pristine streets were devoid of people, and porches sat empty, their rocking chairs rocking gently by the breeze. daniel paced the sidewalk slowly, hands sunk deep into the pockets of his pants. it wasn't often that he had the town to himself-- he could think of only one other instance: as a young boy, his family had forgotten their church offering at home and they sent daniel to go retrieve it. he recalled that day, and even then, as a young and devoted boy, he remembered thinking that oceanside was much prettier when it was empty.

night had just begun to kiss the sky when daniel had exited his home in order to head to church. he'd spent the afternoon and evening waiting on his mother who had come down with a stomach bug; he fetched her buckets, rags, and drinks all day long until finally, she'd gone a whole hour without emptying the contents of her stomach. much to his chagrin, she eventually sent him away to join the congregation.

the entirety of oceanside gathered at the church at 5 p.m. every sunday. the bishop opened the service with casual talk; sunday worship began as more of a community discussion than anything. slowly but surely, as the evening progressed, the sermon turned more toward the lord and everything surrounding him. this would last until late into the night, at which time the majority of the congregation would be sent home. a select few men stayed with the bishop-- one of them being his father-- and while nobody outside that small group knew what they did after worship was over, it was rumored amongst the young members that they headed down to the beach to convene with the lord.

but who was to say.

daniel was entering late, and oh how he loathed that. all eyes in the auditorium would turn toward him, and his father would squint his eyes even though he'd known well what daniel had been up to. nobody had expressly told daniel to stay home with his mother, but nobody had protested either. to his father, missing church was a hefty sin, no matter the reason.

he savored his time outside in the fresh air; it was chilly but his cloak was thick and he had a few layers of clothing to keep him warm. it smelled of saltwater, and by the time he rounded the corner to the church path, he felt at peace.

that was, until he saw a figure standing outside the church.

the people of oceanside had a distinct look to them. nobody was seen out in public in casual clothes; everyone took great pains to appear very put together every day. the man standing outside the church with his ear pressed to the door was not... put together. whereas daniel wore a quality dark cloak fastened with a gold chain, atop some of his finest church clothes.

daniel was careful not to say a word. he moved swiftly toward the man, keeping his steps light so as to retain the element of surprise. somehow, he wasn't noticed, even as he closed the distance between them practically entirely. he went entirely unnoticed, in fact, until his hand shot out to grab the back of the man's jacket and pull him close, slapping his other hand tightly over his mouth.

why the deepwater lord had willed an outsider into the community, daniel did not know. what he did know was that should he be discovered, he would never be seen again. the bishop had a very, very strict policy on interaction with the outside world. everyone out there was corrupt and evil; the only people that could be trusted were those that put their faith in the lord.

he did not know why, but he loathed the idea of this man falling into the hands of the bishop-- perhaps it was selfish curiosity, or maybe the lord was giving him a chance to prove his worth... in some way.

"do not scream," daniel commanded, "if you want to live," he said, knowing full well that he would be entirely powerless if this stranger decided to fight back. it was worth a try, though. he didn't want the congregation to discover this man. he looked to be around daniel's age, in fact...

just how in the world had he ended up here?

Oliver didnt expect to see anything of this sort. Not a town. Not a shed. Not even a left over campfire. He thought hed be fully alone. No signs of human presence. Guess he was wrong.

Even as he waited for a sound from the church, he still felt there was something here even if he could hear nothing. He squinted his eyes slightly, only being able to hear the ocean sounds mixed with the leaves rustling. He eventually came with the conclusion it was a false alarm, reeling back his head from the door just as a grip was felt on his jacket.

His eyes widened in less then a second, his mouth open to about to make a sound to show his shock and slight fear. But a warm hand was now on his mouth, along with the feeling of a body behind him. Someone grabbed him.. someones here? Who? Why? Shit!

His eyes couldnt quite get a look at the other yet, his chest heaving quickly. His hands gripped onto the strangers arm, as if trying to pull his arm away so he can scream. But of course that desire faded by his words, saying he shouldn’t make a peep if he wants ti live. He just got here, of course he wants some time.

He turned his head finally to get a glance at the person holding him, not expecting to see someone so young. He immediately looked away, trembling slowly and trying to tap out to show hes fine and wont be loud.

When The stranger with the black cloak finally trusted him enough, he let Oliver breath. Yet he wouldnt make a sound as the other lead them into the forest he just escaped from. He was anxious and confused, debating what to say or do. One thing he did know was that he was not just gonna leave and go somewhere else. He needs to hide. Hes practically on the run. Not that anyone would really look for him…

Once they stood behind a tree away from sight of the town, Oliver stepped back to examine the other. Why was this well put young adult here? What the hell did he get himself into?

β€œWho the hell are you? What.. did i get myself into?” It was obvious he didnt know what to ask or say, cause in this situation he just couldnt think straight.

So as the other explained the rules of their town, his heart stopped for a split second. β€œTrespassing- since when did you own tis forest? God I cant even- Youre gonna kill me? Just like that?” He waa the type to fight when scared, the actual fear and despair coming in later. He narrowed his eyes. β€œDont think im gonna leave- I havent slept or eaten in days I aint just leavin now!” He was desperate for a sign of kindness, though he felt the strange vibe coming from this area.

daniel stood face to face with an outsider in the forest, and he was scared. he kept his expression even, but his thoughts were racing like predator after prey. is he dangerous? he looks dangerous. outsiders are scum; nonbelievers are sinners. what will father think? will he praise me if i bring him in? will he curse me for missing church for this? could i just drop him back into town and pretend this never happened?

the stranger was acting a tad bit unhinged-- although daniel supposed the situation warranted it. he was confused, daniel could understand and forgive that... but he was refusing to leave?

"you... aren't leaving?" daniel mused aloud, more to himself than the stranger.
"you must be very unwise then. you're trespassing. we do own the forest; it was gifted to us," he explained in an even tone, scanning for weapons and gauging his hostility. not that he'd be able to recognize it if he saw it... daniel was no fighter.

"if it is food or a bed you seek, you've come to the wrong place. where did you come from? outsiders are not allowed here. unless you too are a believer?"

β€œi can search for those on my own; i need a place to be free. god, what's with the questions-- i don't need to tell you anything! and a believer? of what?"β€œ

daniel wasn't sure he liked this stranger. he was trying to be patient, but why was the man being so difficult? if daniel had been told he was trespassing, he'd gladly and apologetically make his exit.

he stepped closer in an attempt to boost his intimidation factor, and scowled. "you should watch your tone, nonbeliever."

daniel debated for a second: should he tell the stranger why he was being interrogated and treated with hostility? technically he didn't owe him anything, but he also felt that he would be more compliant if he knew why he was being treated this way.

"you're in the domain of the deepwater lord. we, his people, don't condone the presence of outsiders in his realm. i don't know if i can let you leave now,"

β€œthe… lord? what? so i walked into some sort of cult town?! don't say you’re gonna sacrifice me to some fake god!”

daniel's scowl deepened. the audacity-- although... he had also immediately made assumptions about the stranger.

"well that's awfully pretentious of you to say. we're neither a cult, nor is our god fake. but we just might sacrifice you to him if you don't comply..." daniel said, a very clear threat. it was empty though. he didn't even know exactly how to sacrifice people to the lord.

what did he want from the man? maybe he did want to sacrifice him... he'd just have to show him to his father and he was sure he'd never be heard from again. alternatively... he could keep him there; learn about the outside world. he'd never been permitted to growing up, after all.

"you want food, a place to sleep? i'll give you that. but not for free," he said triumphantly. he'd made up his mind.

the people of oceanside were all the same. deep down, daniel was weary of the community they'd built. everyone was so outwardly pleasant and perfect; mistakes meant becoming a social pariah (or worse). everyone cared only about serving the lord, and while daniel did believe... life was dull.

and this stranger was not.

Oliver couldnt sense any fear from the other, he himself was too overwhelmed and distraught to notice anything the other was doing. He didnt know what his own plan was… if he was gonna do what they say so he can hide here, or run away from them as well to avoid more. Why cant he escape from anything? Not even in the middle of a forest?

He was a fighter yes… but not for himself. Only for others. Yeah he hates people, hates everyone he has met in his life so far. But he still protects the ones he sees as alright… people, animals, nature. Anything that was good in his eyes. He’d protect.

He scoffed softly at his words, tho he held his arms tight and his stance stable just in case. But he didnt like being seen as someone who was tresspassing a place they didnt rightfully own.
β€œi can search for those on my own; i need a place to be free. god, what's with the questions-- i don't need to tell you anything! and a believer? of what?"β€œ

This taller man didnt seem to stop, which did make him feel slightly better. Why? Cause its the fact hes still willing to talk it out with him and not kill him on the spot. Showed some kind of mercy. Even if they spoke about a deepwater lord.

β€œthe… lord? what? so i walked into some sort of cult town?! don't say you’re gonna sacrifice me to some fake god!”

He blurted it out. His eyes widening slightly at how he spoke without thinking of the consequences. He hoped he could find shelter and safety withtin these trees and gloomy surroundings. To hide from whatever he may be involved in now.

Eventually Olivers gaze softened, knowing he wasnt helping and only made himself seem hostile.
β€œβ€¦not for free? So, what do you want? I dont have much, not a single dollar nor anything of value! I know im being hostile, but you seem to be the same age as I am you think im here to do harm?!”

β€œyou will stay with me, do as i say. i’ll teach you about the lord, and you can teach me about the… outside world. and you know, age does not determine ability,” he paused before taking another step forward to take hold of the collar of the stranger’s jacket. β€œwhat should i call you?”

He furrowed his brows. Teach him? Of their god? How is he supposed to obey if he doesnt believe in such thing?! He didnt have a choice, he’ll listen for now. Just for now..

He gulped and held back the urge to pull away from the strangers grasp, β€œStay with you- ah… er, alright then. The outside world you say.. guess you arent very free either.” He ignored the last thing about age and ability, but for him it wasnt like that. The older you were the more authority you had. Simple.

β€œMy names Oliver. Whats yours? Do you have a normal name or is it like Jesus?” Again, he speaks without thinking.

he smiled a bit β€œokay, Oliver. Jesus is a funny name, never heard that before. my name is daniel.”

Oliver didnt know why he felt a bit calmer when the other let a smile slip, yet it helped. β€œMhm, Daniel. Alright.” He gave back a small smile as well.

β€”

At the end of their conversation, Daniel explained he needed Oliver to stay here. Hidden away in the underbrush. He didnt complain, nor did he care he was practically threatened. He just obeyed and stayed put, sitting down against a tree as the air around him washed away his anxiety. This was rather odd, but he was just grateful he was alone again. Even for a second. So now, he waited.

daniel had tried for years to force himself to enjoy the sunday gathering. there'd been periods in his life, primarily in his youth and late adolescence where he'd been able to lend himself fully to the church, but ever since he reached adulthood, attending sunday had become a chore. there was only so much that could be said about the lord, daniel reasoned, and in all his 18 years, he was sure he'd heard it all. his preacher claimed that the deepwater lord was "forever unchanging" and a "constant in a world of great uncertainty and fear."

if that was the case, then how did he manage to find a message to preach each sunday?

but daniel was skilled at hiding his apathy during the sermon. usually.

this time around, it was a bit more difficult. daniel was antsy; there was something exciting waiting for him when church was over. his dad kept shooting him looks: commandments to pay attention, behave, listen. daniel tried his best to oblige.

it had long turned dark outside by the time daniel was dismissed, and he was far, far too eager to leave. his father must've sensed his urgency, and pulled him aside before daniel could slip away.

he was an imposing man, standing a few inches talled than daniel with salt and pepper hair, dressed sharply with a thick, ornate cloak fastened around him.

"i'm glad you made it," he said in his deep, gravelly voice. daniel had a hard time believing him, though.
"me too, father. mom seems to be doing better; she managed to keep a whole piece of toast down," he explained with a small smile, and his father mirrored him.

"i couldn't help but noticed you seemed distracted, though," his father continued.
daniel's mouth popped open, silent for a second; "yeah... i'm worried about her. things around the home and community will suffer if she is ill very long... too, i have a lot on my plate with my studies and all... i apologize."

his dad studied him for a couple heartbeats before acquiescing. daniel silently congratulated himself: he had played his role well.

"all is well, daniel. are you going straight home?"

"yes, father."

~ ~ ~

daniel padded his way carefully through the forest, flashlight illuminating the way in front of him. rationally, he knew he would not be followed, but he still kept his steps quiet. it was not difficult to find his way back to the place where he'd left oliver; it was a place he'd frequented with friends and by himself. he went on guard as he approached, just in case the stranger decided that he was not going to become daniel's voluntary prisoner and instead mug him or kill him or something.

"hey!" he called out, voice timid although he was yelling.
"i'm back. i brought, uh... a snack."

Even as Oliver waited, thinking of reasons on why the other would want to keep him to ask questions about real life, he thought if this was a trap. But.. Has he really never seen it? Seen the horrible world? The world that hides the good things and twists it into something horrific? Does he not understand that Oliver is trying to escape from the world he knows. He ran away for fuck sake! The world isnt all great. And people are to blame for that.

Oliver shivered slightly, the wind picking up to move the cold breeze around. He was usually never cold, but he assumed its cause of the ocean that was nearby. Bringing in colder air that made his skin cold.

β€”

He was practically half asleep against a tree, kinda forgetting what was happening before he heard yelling. Jerking slightly and blinking to wake up, β€œeh… oh.” He yawned and rubbed his eyes, groaning as he stood up. He grabbed his bag and walked toward him, obviously still waking up. β€œSnack? Like what?” He grumbled, looking at him for a moment.

He then sighed, β€œYou seem on edge, you think I was gonna jump you or something? β€œ he had to stop making jokes but he couldn’t help it. His eye eventually looked down to see what Daniel was holding for the snack. He snorted, β€œCrackers? Welp, better then canned food.” It wasnt but he was still thankful.

Oliver waited for the other to slightly move forward the water, just so he didnt get to close and startle him. But he grabbed the water and chugged it, then tilted his head when he wiped the water from his lips. The water luckily was slightly cold due to the temperature outside, so he tried to offer a smile.

β€œThank you… where are we going?” He asked as they began walking through the dark woods. How could they even see? Oliver was slow and cautious just so he didnt trip and embarrass himself in this god forsaken place.

β€œmyβ€” uh. you’re gonna have to hide there, ok? if you’re found you won’t be treated kindly. and… i won’t help you”

Oliver raised a brow, so this was the treatmenr hed get? Okay… fair.

β€œDamn, no help? Okay okay, what if… I rat you out?” He joked but immediately shook his head after. β€œNah I could never, but just so you know I didnt run away to a fuckin forest to be caught and abused again Daniel. I dont know why I stayed here but, what do I have to lose? So im hidin im a shed like your secret pet?”

β€œha. yeah kinda. you can… go in the forest if you want but there’s always a risk. people here leave sometimes, and you especially don’t want to meet them.”

He sighed, annoyed, scared, and ready to breakdown when hes alone again. He was never able to process things. If anything bad happened to him he assumed he deserved it and that it was normal, so he didn’t know how to feel right now. He keeps trying to label his emotions as fear but… honestly, he doesnt feel much.

β€œWhos- them? You guys have a cult so of course theres some bad people roaming, suppose I should be careful. Better not force your religious bullshit on me, Daniel. Im- tired of it.” He mumbled, cautiously walking behind Daniel. He stayed out of sight, his hood up as they quickly snuck in to the back towards the shed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back