• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Witch Hunt (Lenaara x TucanSam)

Lenaara

Dreaming of honey cakes.
TucanSam TucanSam

The Brass Minotaur, the placard read as it hung above the door on rusting chains. The wind shook it, made it rattle its chains and hit the slated roof. The words were so washed out from the rain that only the figurine of a minotaur of dim brass was recognizable nailed to the plaque. Standing surrounded by uniform buildings in a various state of decay, the Minotaur took pride in the fact that it did not share its walls with the corpse like buildings around it. It stood out in its own way, as grey and dirty and damp as any other tavern in the city.

There was no particular reason to choose the Minotaur. It was as any other tavern in the city. Prices were decent, the ale was old and cheap and the food was as filling as anywhere else. A company for the evening could either be a whore from the streets or some rodent or another from the tavern’s cellar. It was an ugly wooden stub of a building, offering only one thing that kept the patrons going in and out often enough to continue its business – it had a mercenary board.

Many a service would be offered, all displayed on the notice board that hung on the tavern’s outer wall, hidden beneath the shadow of a slated roof, and displayed several miniature wooden plaques hanging off the protruding iron nails. Irene’s plaque was no different from the others. It only had a few words carved onto it – name, the length of her stay and what job she offered:

Irene Dalaklis

Until the month’s end

Bodyguard and guide

The words were carved with a steady hand, unlike so many others that looked to have been made in a hurry. The top plaques were the old job notices, old and rotting, with washed out from rain and wind words. Mould grew on some of them and others were covered in moss and dirt and streaks of rain. Irene had put hers at the bottom, where it’d be seen and possibly noticed by someone willing to pick it up and bring it to the inn keep to ask for her.

It had been five days since she’d run out of coin. Two weeks since the plaque was put up here and at another tavern, The Green Scroll, and she’d checked both daily to see if they’d been picked up. With almost a month since her last job the wait was becoming unbearable. It would’ve been unusual had Irene not known the reason for the sudden lack of interest.

It was easier to blame it on the change of season, on the flooded roads and expanding swamp, than accept the true reason for people’s fears in hiring someone named after a people cursed by witchcraft. It was her fault, she’d stayed in this town too long. She should’ve left with the last merchant caravan a week and a half ago but they were less than enthusiastic to hire someone who’d bring them trouble going west.

Thankfully, there were other ways to earn coin than swinging around a weapon.

A smile. A comment. A challenge. Some softly spoken words, masked under embarrassment and complete innocence, as if they rolled off the tongue by accident to keep the conversation going after it paused and the deep rolling voices of the tavern’s patrons subsided. This was all it took to get the tavern bursting with life, even if it was only a company of half a dozen men crammed into one seating area.

Irene propped her elbow on the table and rolled her shoulders. It was hot. The table was pushed closer towards the hearth and fire danced on the surfaces of goblets of ale and bowls of fruit, steaming meat and cold cheeses. More dishes came from the kitchen at the back, brought over by a plump girl in a cotton dress with a veil draped over her shoulders to fight off the cold wind coming through the door. The feast dwarfed in comparison to the still-life composition sewn onto an old tapestry that hung above the table – bejewelled silver goblets were filled to the brim with wine, large bowls were stacked with smooth and ripe fruit, and the dishes of meat and fish were mouth-watering. It was out of place, placed perhaps in a desperate attempt to decorate the otherwise naked walls.

A large clay mug was put down softly beside Irene and she thanked the serving girl with a nod over her shoulder. Just at that moment the man sitting across from her slammed his fist against the table. Mugs rattled, candlesticks swayed from side to side and almost toppled over, and the serving girl jumped away from the table with a soft squeal, hugging the basked of stale bread towards her chest. Even without seeing the poor serving girl’s face, Irene could safely guess that she was mortified by the mercenary on the other side of the table.

“Ha!” The mercenary roared in a deep voice. “I’d wager it is my win.” His words were slurred and his moustache was wet from drink.

He propped his arm on the table, leaned forward and pressed his curled into a fist tattooed hand against his side. He beamed at Irene with happiness, the grin lopsided and smug as he looked at his opponent with one good eye. He was a man of an unidentified age – he could have been thirty or fifty, the harsh scar slashed across his face distorting his features and making it hard to see the bright gleam in his eye that many youths shared in the prime of their life. Tall and strong, he was a mountain of a man clad in leather and chain, exposing his heavily tattooed muscular arms. A lapis lazuli gem on his mask, which covered half the man’s face, shone faintly in the dim candle light. The gem was shaped in a form of an eye, either to mock the mercenary’s missing eye or to make up for its loss, Irene didn’t know.

Malcolm jerked his chin at the table and reached towards the half empty horn at his side. “Lady luck can’t always favour you.”

“Would be a shame if she stopped on the day of my birth, no?” Irene reached towards the deck of cards that lay between them, her hand hovering over the spread deck for a moment before she took a card out at random. Without flipping it over, she slid it towards the row of cards laid neatly before her. “And,” Irene gathered the cards, looked at them, and with a grin laid them out facing the man, “she still favours me, it seems.”

Malcolm was taking a swig from the horn when he’d looked down at the cards and nearly chocked on his drink at the realization of his yet another loss. He put the drink down, placed his large hands flat on the table, and stared at the cards. They stared back at him, the faces grinning and frowning, laid out on top of his own set of cards.

“How—“ He lifted his eyes and frowned, leaned back and ran his hand through his dark dirty hair. “It’s all luck. No skill. A game of chance. You shouldn’t be so smug about it, Irene.”

Irene laughed softly and reached over the table towards the leather pouch they’d betted on earler that evening. She weighted the pouch in her hand, untied her own purse from the belt on her waist, and deposited the coin into it. It nearly fell out of her hand when a man sitting at her side had slammed his hand against her back, patting it harshly and muttering congratulations on her win.

Her back ached but it was a good ache. The feeling of having won was nauseating.

“Jealous of my fortune?” Irene propped her elbow on the table, rested her chin in her hand and chuckled. “You are the one who lost three times in a row.”

“It’s a card game, for fuck’s sake. Entertainment for superstitious women who believe in shit like guessing your husband’s name from a flower. Ton of bullshit, this.” Malcolm waved dismissively at the cards and knocked back his drink. “I bet you enchanted the cards with your Izmarian shamanistic voodoo crap. Them symbols on your clothes must give you some fake luck. Heresy, I say.”

Well, the man was not far from being wrong.

Irene’s clothes were very different than those the mercenaries – there were two others – at her table preferred to wear. For one, she was not wearing any sort of protective padding over the vital areas of her body and did not cover herself with chainmail and bits of metal. One look at the clothing of the men around her was enough to get the overall impression of them being mercenaries, a blade for hire. With Irene, it was different. She, like the others, possessed the hardened look of a warrior but her clothes were not close cut and skin tight; they were not heavy with iron or thick leather padding. Instead, her clothes were loose and made entirely of fabric and thin, light leather.

She wore a coat of thick deep purple fabric that reached down towards her knees and was set at the waist by a wide leather belt lined with rabbit fur on the edges; the sleeves were wide and ended just below her elbow. From underneath the sleeves the leather bracers of soft brown leather peeked out and covered her forearms. The dark brown pants were straight and wide, tucked into her knee length boots that have seen better days.

The symbols Malcolm called shamanistic, were simple embroidery. It weaved through the bottom of the wide sleeves in various patterns; the high collar was decorated in a similar style and was pulled tightly around her neck and secured with a bronze clasp. Similar clasps were visible along the middle of the coat, all closed to keep the fabric of the coat in place. The hem of her coat depicted more geometric symbols that changed at the back as the embroidery blended with the symbols woven on the back. The leather bracers and the wide belt were decorated as well, but not as heavily as the coat. The golden thread gleamed with each movement that the woman made, the fabric folding here and there and reflected the soft orange glow of the candlelight.

Everything about the woman screamed foreign. Deep purple, gold and bronze, these colours stood out among the grey mass of people in the tavern. She was a bright spot of colour in the group of darkly dressed men around her.

She had just turned twenty-eight but appeared to be older as the fine lines already fanned the corners of her eyes. Olive skinned and tall, she was athletically built beneath her foreign clothing. An ashy brown braid reached towards her hips, pulled tightly from her face, exposing it to the heat of the hearth. High cheekbones, refined jawline, almond shaped silver eyes, a straight nose – the woman’s features, skin colour, the colour of her clothes and broidery, everything indicated her country of origin, Izmar.

Broidery was a part of her culture and had it not been common knowledge, Irene would’ve chosen to go for a simpler attire to avoid the Church of the Blessed from dragging her to a nearby Cleansing Pyre. While they were not as bold as they were in Escus, where Pyres burnt often, they still looked unapprovingly at Irene. The symbols had no magic, only a belief that they could bring luck or prosperity or ward off the evil eye. Not that it stopped many from believing otherwise and spreading rumours of witchcraft worn on clothing. Silly superstitions.

The heat from the hearth made sweat trickle down her spine. And yet, Irene did not remove her coat. She could only imagine how hot the others must feel, trapped beneath all the leather and chainmail.

Irene lifted her hand and slid her calloused finger over one of the symbols woven at the sleeve her coat. “This is for luck. This,” her finger slid over a triangular shape, “is for prosperity.”

“Bunch of bullshit.” The man lifted his recently refilled horn and grumbled some words into the drink as he took a swig from it. It was hard to hear what he had said, but Irene got the general impression of him cursing the Izmarian voodoo crap.

“Alright.” Irene reached towards her own drink. Instead of wine or ale that her companions favoured, hers was water. “What do you call fair entertainment, then?”

“Fighting.” Malcolm shrugged, his lips curving into a lopsided smirk. His scar made the smirk look like a snarl.

“Swinging your axes at thugs armed with dull swords isn’t fighting, Malcolm.” Irene set down her mug and collected the cards.

“Neither is poking your enemies from afar with a giant toothpick.” Malcolm retorted.

“Still sore over that one incident?” The deck of cards was set between the two once again.

“You stabbed me.”

“No, I hit you. It was the dull end. All you got was a bruise and an empty stomach after you vomited your guts out. You walked into my spear, flailing your axes about like a drunken idiot. I would have won without my toothpick, anyway.”

“Care to back that up?” Malcolm got up, his hands braced on the table. He was swaying slightly from side to side, his eye looking down at Irene but not really focusing on her.

“What?”

“That you can beat me. Without your toothpick.

“You’re drunk. I’m not going to fight you.” Irene pressed her lips into a thin line.

“Arm-wrestling then.” Malcolm pushed back his bench, circled the table, and then pulled the bench towards the table’s end. There, he sat on one side, and jerked his chin at the direction of the bench before him. “And don’t give me I’m a woman excuse. I’ve seen you lift men up into the air. You ain’t fooling me.”

And so, Irene agreed.

She had won the first match between them, then the second. Malcom’s hand hit the table’s surface each time, his body leaning and twisting to the side along with his hand. He groaned in frustration, his muscles bulging beneath the tattoos, his forehead had turned red under the mask. Each time he lost a rematch was demanded and Irene obliged, if only to finally show Malcolm that no matter what he did he would lose. If there was coin on the line, he would have lost every single copper that he had to his name.

Several other patrons of the Minotaur gathered around the table, whispering bets to each other. After the third loss Malcolm had pushed his bench so far back it toppled over and fell on its side. He stormed from the table, his steps uneven and swaying and muttered all sorts of vulgar curses under his breath. A woman had beaten him in a match where strength mattered above all. Irene was not too surprised to see him react in such a way.

Two more men asked for a match and both of them were beaten. This time, however, Irene chose to bet her coin. It was merely another way to earn some more silver until she would be offered a job. If she was offered a job.

The thrill of winning was so nauseating that it dulled out the pain in her biceps and her hand. It was a good kind of pain.

Winning was easy enough. Malcolm had been drunk, his core unstable and swaying under the influence of the cheap ale. All she had to do was lean forward in the match and work his strength to her advantage. She would pull on the man’s hand towards her in order to force it away from his body. His leverage would be put out of balance even more and instead increase hers. The grip would slip, and she would move her own higher up on the mercenary’s hand. With others it was harder, but she changed her strategy accordingly. Their hand would be forced back, thus increasing her own power, and exposed their wrist by twisting her hand towards herself. Each man entered the match thinking they would win, and each left the match with less coin and a wounded pride.

“Anyone else?” Irene asked and leaned back, the knuckles of her left hand massaging the palm of her right. The coin wasn’t much but it’d be enough to last her a few more days.

Here’s hoping I don’t lose it all to a stupid bet.

Lenaara Lenaara

Rain began to splatter across the dirt road as they approached the town, soaking into their thick wool cloaks and causing large puddles of mud to form around them. Living far away from the cities and their paved roads was something I was accustomed to, but the small shivering form of the girl next to me was not. Hell, she wasn't used to much honestly, sheltered as she had been for much of her life. What parts of the fabric that weren't covered in water by now were caked in dirt, matching the thick film that also covered their shoes. How long had they been walking now? Five, six days since the last carriage crossed their paths? Despite being a popular place for soldiers and merchants to pass through, the lack of size often meant that their destination, a horrid little place called Hampstead, saw very little traffic with room to spare for two people. Torchlights flickered in the distance, marking the bounds of the town as it sat near the end of the road. Sound rose from the distance as the nightlife of the city roared on, a good indication of a bar or a pub. Nearly a month of travel, but we'd finally arrived.

A small hand from the child next to me reached towards my own, grasping at the tips of my metal covered fingers as she sought assurance. A wave of trepidation fell over me as well as we began to walk. The journey we had charted nearly a half year ago had been done in haste, but thought had been given to the fastest route we could achieve while avoiding the larger populated cities. But despite the travel we had already put in, Hampstead represented only the first third of our route being finished. Things were not going particularly smoothly, and they were only going to get worse as we moved in the countryside. My hand tightened around her hand, forcing me to bend slightly as I did as the light from the torches bathed over us. No guards stood watch against the nights darkness; they likely felt they didn't need it. Towns like these were nefarious for Bandits, but even outlaws knew not to bite the hand that fed it. Vagrants and defectors no doubt found easy work protecting caravans on their way through here, and if they couldn't there were always bands of thieves in the hillside to join. They wouldn't risk attacking their main source of recruitment.

My eyes scanned over the dilapidated buildings as we made our way to the center of town. A place like this could be both a curse and a blessing, depending on what kind of trouble you were looking for. We were not looking for any though, and hopefully none found us. Two men stood guard beneath a flapping sign that said something about a Minotaur, their eyes immediately fixing on the both of us as we approached. Worn leather armor and dull looking swords adorned them along with their steely glares and uninviting expressions. The small body of the girl at my side moved closer against me as I nodded a curt greeting to them both before leading us inside. It was about what I'd expected. Stone floors, wooden tables arranged to be near the fireplace. Large, drunken men harassing too-sober barmaids. If there were a definition of a cliche, small town bar this would have been it. A surly bartender glowered at us from behind his station, his hand slowly polishing a cup that was probably far too clean already. My travels didn't often take me into places like this, but they were all the same, including the wall of mercenaries that immediately greeted us upon entering. Dozens of names lined the pegs that had been hammered haphazardly into the wall, their names scrawled in a lazy, poor manner.

"Well," I released the girls hand from my own, pulling her hood a little more tightly over her head. "At least its dry" She nodded without looking at me, shivering before heading to the back of the room where a table sat along with a few more empty ones. Glancing back at the board quickly I followed. There'd be enough time later to peruse the names for someone who may be half trustworthy. A barmaid met us a few moments after we had sat down, placing two cups of water and a bowl of stale bread in front of us before asking for our orders. Refusing alcohol earned a frown from her, they clearly made their money off of intoxicated men, but the request for something warm and cheap offered her a reason to scurry away without another word. I allowed myself a sigh, a moment of letting my guard down for the first time in months as my hood fell around my shoulders. My hand reached out, doing the same to the girl beside me as she nibbled gently at the hard crusted bread. Strand of light brown hair stuck out in random directions, and I tried my best to smooth them before giving up entirely. From what i knew of her, she cared little for grooming. Such things had been the realm of the people who had primped and groomed her, putting her on display like she was some sort of doll. The ability to slack off on her appearance had seemed like a relief to her, and the few times we had been offered such niceties as a hair brush had been firmly turned down.

"How much further?" Her voice squeaked out between chunks of bread. I shook my head, rubbing the side of my temple gently.

"At this rate another six months, at least." A slump in her shoulders was the only response I got, and i tried to offer her some comfort in the form of a pat on the back. "Ig we can find a carriage that will speed things up greatly. It all depends on," My eyes traveled over the group of men, now formed into a ring around two people who seemed to be gambling. I sighed. "On who we can hire here."

Her head nodded gently as she looked across the room. A loud shout echoed through the building as the group began to cheer, throwing bags of coins at each other in an apparent attempt to make good on their bets.

"What... are they doing over there?" She asked, turning her head to me before quickly bringing her attention back to the group.

"Losing their money".

"Why?"

The words paused in my mouth as I thought best how to explain gambling to a 10 year old. "Because they're drunk, and have nothing better to do. And they sometimes win."

"Is it fun?" The bread made a noticeable clunk as she placed it down on the table, her focus given solely to the people arm wrestling in front of her. "It looks fun."

"To some people it is, I guess," I tried best to be vague, hoping she would drop the subject altogether. The barmaid appeared from the back kitchen, two bowls in her hands as she made her way over to us. I took them both from her gratefully, placing a couple coins near the edge of the table as her tip.

"Do you think... we could try it?"

"No." My voice came out sharp and low, causing the girl to shrink back into her seat and the barmaid to glare, taking her coins quickly and backing away from us. A sharp pang of guilt hit my stomach at the girls reaction. I had not meant to be harsh. Kids. I was never good with them. Steam rose from the bowl, filled with some sort of vegetable stew, as I spun my spoon into it nervously. My ward only sat next to me motionless, her head pointed to the ground as she tried to sink her way into the back of the stool. Dammit.

"Fine," my shoulders slumped down as I ran a gauntlet through my light black hair. "We can try it". A light filled her eyes, and her posture straightened as if someone had stuck her with a cattle prod. If one thing was universal about children, they were good at manipulating. "But not until after we finish eating. Agreed?"

TucanSam TucanSam

Another challenger, this time a man about the same age as me. He nudged his companion with his elbow, passed him the clay mug he was holding, and sat in opposite of me. A confident smile was offered and I smiled back, softly and tiredly, having shaken off the euphoria of multiple wins. Candlelight flickered as he dragged the bench closer to the table and took his time preparing to face me. It was silly to watch him roll his shoulders and crack his neck and roll back the sleeves of his cotton shirt. At the same time, I was grateful, for his ‘preparation’ allowed me a moment’s rest.

It also gave me a minute to look around.

It’s gotten rather crowded, with the tavern’s patrons shuffling towards our table, watching and cheering and betting on their friends or me. I could see them pass the leather satchels of coin in my peripheral but my attention was primarily focused on my opponent, so I cared little of what entertainment everyone was getting out of this display of strength. This little display paid well. It made me wonder why I did not think of this sooner.

Thankfully, everyone kept a short distance from me, though on occasion one or two would step closer, breaking the circle of people around the table, and patted me on the shoulder or arm or back, congratulating me with slurred and ale saturated words. I wouldn’t be surprised to find my clothes stinking of alcohol once I was up my box room I rented upstairs, and anyway, it was something I was used to. Their closeness did not make me uncomfortable, neither did the tremendous amount of attention I was given. Nothing out of the ordinary and, frankly, I enjoyed it. I grew up in it, with it. It was a part of my life as much as traveling was.

This was fun. Even the growing ache in my muscles wasn’t enough to stop me from enjoying this.

During one of such moments when another challenge was over and I was victorious, the crowd roared with laughter around me. Walls and floor shook, the table rocked on the floor as people pushed, reaching towards their coin purses and set down their drinks or picked them up instead. Someone plopped down on the bench beside me and lifted his arm, ready to drape it over my shoulders but decided to softly punch me on the shoulder instead. He missed, his knuckle grazing my arm only and he would have nearly toppled over the bench, drink with him, had his hand not caught on the side of the table. He slurred an apology, I think. I nodded in response and raised by eyes up to look over his shoulder.

Several more people entered the tavern, seating themselves at the tables quietly and sent quizzical (and/or annoyed) stares towards the commotion I was in the centre of. A smile was still curling my lips and a drop of sweat trickled down the side of my face as I settled my gaze on a man with a child at his side. His daughter, perhaps? They were drenched and tired, eating their food and I couldn’t tell if they spoke. It was hard to see, that side of the tavern not getting much light from the hearth as it was blocked by the crowd I’d, unconsciously, gathered.

Though it was strange to see a man and a child at a tavern as shabby as this, it was not what drew my attention to them. No, not them. Him. Or rather, what he wore. Metal of his gauntlets was visible, reflecting what minimal light crept between the bodies around me. My brow furrowed at the sight and the soft smile faltered. Not many could afford an armour in these parts of Riverside and those who did were the city guards or mercenaries. And he looked like neither of those.

“Bet is thirty silvers,” the man in front of me spoke, drawing my attention to him and from the man with a peculiar taste in clothing. I was one to talk. My purple robes surely raised more eyebrows than a metal pair of gauntlets would ever receive. “Alright—“ He propped his elbow on the table and I followed suit, inwardly wincing as it bore into my already scraped skin. It was an uncomfortable feeling, nothing more.

Just as our hands were about to touch, he pulled back, his eyes wide and a toothless smile spread across his face. I raised a brow and reached forward, eager to start the match.

“You did not win yet,” I said jokingly.

“Nay, not that.” He reached for the thirty silvers we’ve both put between us and dragged his coins back. That warranted another raised brow from me and I stared at him in confusion, as did the crowd around me. Someone asked what was the matter and the same question could be read in my eyes too. “Lets bet on somethin’ else. You a merc, nay?” He jerked his dusted by an uneven stubble chin towards the notice board. I glanced at it, my eyes skirting over the plaque I’ve put up in the corner, smooth and steadily carved. I couldn’t read my name from where I sat, but I knew it was mine. “A blade for hire. So then, how `bout we bet on yer service? Bandit attacks stripped me barn clean, you see. But there is little coin and I got mouths to feed. Guards won’t do nothin`. I ain’t skilled with a sword either, maybe only an axe and then only to chop some wood. So,” he leaned forward and propped his elbow on the table once more. I did not and instead pulled my hand back, knowing what he’s about to propose. “Scare `em off.”

“A pretty woman in front of you and you want her to kill some thugs?” A man behind me said loudly and laughed. The crowd joined in, snickering and chuckling; someone even offered to bet on whether I’d agree. The farmer in front of me, already red from drink, blushed deeply and his cheeks flushed a new hue of crimson. He continued smiling, however, though shyly and lifted a hand to brush through his straw-blond hair.

“No,” I said firmly, my smile disappearing perhaps for the first time that evening. I pulled my hand back and watched the farmer lean forward, both elbows on the table now.

“A guard then, no? I win, ye come guard me land. A week’s time.” Seeing my hesitation, he added quickly, “Allie can find ye a nice spot in the house to bunk at.”

I admit, his bet stunned me into silence for a moment but my answer remained the same no matter how he’d word it, no matter what he mentioned to make me pity him. I did and yet, I didn’t.

Instead of declining his offer this time, I leaned forward on my elbow, a silent agreement to a bet I knew he’d never win. We all needed coin, for we all had to eat and mouths to feed. And while I lacked a family to take care of, it did not mean that I could do the work I offered gratis. So, with my spare hand I pushed back the few stray stands of hair that escaped the tight braid at my back, brushed off beads of sweat that formed on my forehead and brow from hours sitting by the hearth, and readied myself for the match.

It was over quickly. Perhaps it was for the best to not give him hope that he’d win. The back of the farmer’s hand hit the table’s surface with a soft thunk and his body followed, the bench’s legs scraping against the floor as it was pushed back. He stared at it, his face red and dotted with miniature beads of sweat at the temples, and yanked it away once I let go. He stepped back in silence and I watched him take his drink from his friend and the two of them turned around and walked away from the table, his friend’s arm draped over his shoulder and they spoke in hushed grunts.

The sight made my chest clench in pity for a moment. Before an urge to be charitable took root in my mind, I picked up my mug with water and emptied half of it. The water turned warm and tasted earthy.

“Is there no man here strong enough to beat a woman?” Malcolm asked and it just occurred to me that he’d returned and stood some ways from me, arms crossed over his broad chest. Droplets of water dripped down from his clothes, his hair and face. Malcolm was drenched and the flush of a drunk man had disappeared from his cheeks. Not having seen where he’d left, it surprised me to see that he’d gone out into the rain to freshen up and clear his senses. Now, standing broad and tall and as much annoyed as he was when he’d left some short while ago, he avoided looking at me and turned on his heel to regard the other patrons that did not join the crowd around our table.

I remained silent, rubbing the palm of my right hand with the knuckles of my left.

“So? Don’t have to bet coin. Wusses, the lot of you,” Malcolm continued, his voice harsh and deep, a guttural sound.

More noise. Raucous laughter. Somewhere a bench fell over, clattering loudly against the stone floor. People everywhere, laughing and cheering as if wasting their money was the greatest thing in the world. I didn't belong here. Never in my life had I felt at ease in a large group of people, and the fact had not changed even as I gained a companion in my travels. My eyes drifted towards the small girl, the bowl of stew pushed firmly to the side, empty, as she sat transfixed by the group of people in front of us. From what little I had learned of her through our travels, interaction with people not seeking to use her had been few and far between. It was likely, in fact, that I had been the first person in her life to give her anything without expecting something in return. A tragic tale. One that made me want to spoil her with whatever she wanted.

Soft groaning of leather pulled my gaze from her towards my gauntlet, the fingers of my hand shaking slightly as I struggled to form them into a fist. A great axe had taken much of my hands ability to move, and though it had been nearly four months since the injury, and all that was left as proof was a scar, not much dexterity had returned. Maybe it never would. For an event like this, a feat of strength no normal man could have bested me at, the lack of strength in my hand would have proven a burden. But as I sat there, wondering how to not make a fool of myself, the solution crystallized in my head. Simple. Easy.

"Come on then," my armor groaned almost as much as my body wanted to as I stood. "A promise is a promise."

The girl nearly leapt from her seat, the fatigue and grime of the road shedding off of her like rain off canvas. Kids were nothing if not resilient.

Cheers and groans grew louder as we approached, the group of men parting with just a slight hesitation as I muscled our way through. I was sure under most circumstances an outsider trying to move his way into such an intimate circle of people who knew each other closely would be shunned, but upon closer look at my build, sneers seemed to turn into smirks, sometimes smiles. Far be it from me to call myself anything such as intimidating, but years of practice has hardened the edges of my body into some sort of respectable form. Mostly. As the last few men moved away from our path, the table that was the center of so much focus came into view. Old, wooden, frayed at the edges. Marks and names were chiseled into it, meaningful to someone somewhere, but by the looks of it they were long gone.

A slight woman sat at one end, rubbing the wounds suffered from several arm wrestling matches. The pit in my stomach sunk. Strong woman were not unheard of, at least not in the circles I had run in as a young man, but despite their own strength they had not completely shed the perception and desire of most men to protect them from danger. This group of men, far too drunk and belligerent for their own good, surely would not take kindly to a stranger one upping their own, even less so a woman. It caused me to pause for a moment before a small tug on the corner of my cloak brought me back to reality. A promise was a promise.

"Are strangers allowed to compete?" My voice was barely a whisper above the cacophony of voices around us. The large bearded man next to the woman took us in, first the child then me, before a confused look crossed his face. Children existed in every town, but out here at the dead of night, she must have been an odd sight indeed. Especially in a bar. A stroke of his beard and a shrug cleared the furrows from his brow.

"If you have the coin. 15's the minimum."

The folds of my cloak shook gently as a bag emerged from within. Worn leather with a simple drawstring, it jingled gently with the sound of metal. "I'll bet 30 then."

The bearded man sneered. caught the bag as I tossed it to him and set it on the edge of the table. "The money's yours to lose, bud. Take your seat."

Both corners of my mouth curved upwards in a smile as I dropped to one knee, taking the girls shoulders gently in my hands and turning her towards me. "Now you see," I whispered gently to her as men began to mutter around us. "This lady will grab the other persons hand, and the object is to force her arm to the table before she can force yours. Simple, right?"

She nodded, turning her eyes back to te woman at the table. "She looks strong." Her eyes turned back to me. "Will you win?"

I shook my head gently, scooping my hands underneath her arms. "No," I grunted, lifting her up and placing her on the stool. "But you might."

TucanSam TucanSam

The crowd parted around me, a ripple in the otherwise almost perfect circle of people. Thinking it was some other person joining to watch the competition – if it could even be called such a big word, given the location and the sobriety of my opponents – I focused on bringing some feeling in my otherwise sore muscles. An aching elbow and stiff fingers – a sacrifice I was willing to cope with so long as coin kept going in my purse.

Huh. Leon would roll in his grave if he knew what I was doing.

Where is your self-respect? I could almost hear his grumble and the memory of his voice made me remember his furrowed brows and tightly pressed lips that he’d given me each time I disappointed him.

The memory brought my own lips into a tight line and a slightly furrow creased my brow. To think this was how I spent my evenings, arm wrestling for some coin. Even playing cards was better. There, I did not use the strength and training that was given to me by a man who was so against training a woman how to fight.

Placing my hands flat on the table, I pushed myself up and took a breath, ready to raise my voice to be heard over the gathered crowd.

“This is eno—“ I began but my breath caught in my throat at the sight of my next opponent being put onto the bench.

Put onto the bench. It was no farmer or mercenary or even the inn keep, who’d been eyeing me for quite some time now, perhaps considering to come over and join or demand that we stopped the ruckus. It was not even that man in armour, though he certainly was in front of me when I set my gaze on the girl he was putting onto the stool. It was a young girl.

She couldn’t have had more than ten or eleven years past her brow. Young and energetic and dirty from the rain outside. Her bangs stuck at odd angles and her clothes were not yet dry. Her appearance stunned me, made me hover above my seat for a good couple of seconds before I sat back down.

Is this a joke? I wanted to ask, to demand, and gave a quizzical look to Malcolm, who looked as perplexed as I was. He shrugged and uncrossed his hands to flick the little coin pouch at the edge of the table.

“Easy win, eh?” Malcolm chuckled and stepped closer to nudge my biceps with his elbow.

“Dalaklis’ found herself one terrifying opponent,” a mercenary chimed in and loudly burped, earning a string of deep laughter.

“Lad’s smart, no? Put a kid, bet some coin. Women always go easy on kids,” added another.

“Not me wife. Beats the kids if they eat more than their fill. Terrifying woman.”

More laughter, more comments. I tuned them out after having looked disapprovingly at the crowd around me from over my shoulder.

To win and earn my coin, taking it from a child as easy as it would’ve to grab a piece of candy from their little hand. Or to lose and with it, my room and food. I’ve earned quite a bit of coin but it’d last me a day, no more. Enough for one day and then, either leave earlier than I intended to or start another pointless competition and see who falls for it.

And earn Leon’s scornful glare from the Mountain.

Decision made, I propped my elbow on the table and moved closer than I’d usually would.

“I won’t go easy on you,” I said, a serious note to my voice though I was smiling at the little girl. Little wasn’t the right word though. She was almost a woman, a few years short of womanhood. Just like I was back then, when Leon was at my side the same way this girl’s companion was.

It was not her father, I guessed. They did not share any features, though the careful way he handled her was noted.

Honestly, a pang of jealousy rang deep in my chest. Leon was never like this with me. I wasn’t sure if I longed for his affection as a parent or not. It didn’t matter now.

A small hand curled around mine, smooth skin against the callouses of my palm and fingers. It was fragile and small and when Malcolm roared to begin in his deep baritone, it clenched with all the strength the little girl could muster. It did move my arm an inch. Then it moved, down, slowly threatening to dip it all the way towards the rough wood with each passing second. A few inches from the table top the direction changed, now going the opposite way, angling my arm for the first time that evening towards the losing side. I let it, having stopped resisting and let the girl push my arm all the way down, though I did put up a sliver of resistance for a moment before the back of my hand grazed the wood.

Men around us objected, some laughed and shook their heads, having made their own bets on whether I’d let the girl win.

Leon would approve, I thought as I uncurled my hand from the girl’s and sat back. While he was not lenient with me, the others with whom we travelled were. It was a simpler life, when having a girl pretend she had already reached adulthood was enough to make her happy. That was why I let the child win and did not make it an easy victory either. There was nothing worse for a child than to be pointed out they were one. A fast victory was as shameful as a loss.

Malcolm tossed a coin pouch towards the armoured man, congratulating him with an annoyed grunt and tossed me instead a glare that I was equally determined to ignore.

This was not the end. There was still a way to get my coin back, this time without having to lose on purpose to make a child happy for the evening.

“Sit,” I said as my eyes were fixed on the girl’s companion. A stranger, his name I did not know though I’ve spent most of my evenings at the Minotaur. A traveller then, few locals came here. “Let me win my dignity back. Thirty silvers.”

This time, I let my right hand rest on my thigh and I positioned my left elbow on the table instead. Perks of wielding a spear – both my arms were equally strong, trained in wielding a weapon where balance was paramount. On top of that, it was fair this way. The way this man hid his right hand, its refusal to be formed into a fist, did not escape my notice. It was pure speculation, a guess that I couldn’t back up unless I watched his movements more closely. That armour was far from just for show, as worn as it was, and if my guess was correct and his sword arm was injured, his left was the non-dominant one, just like mine. Unlike mine, I doubted it was as strong. In a way, I evened out the playing field.

“Do you want to change the bet?” Malcolm asked, looking at the armoured stranger, his arm outstretched impatiently to take the coin.

The girls arms raised in victory, her back arching and her voice raising in a small shout that nearly rivaled the sound of the men around her groaning. Weird thing, kids. So excited about mundane things. Still, it had been nice of the woman to let her win, though any half decent person would have done the same. Half decent people were hard to find in the world though, and I offered the girl a warm smile as congratulations. With a quick motion betrayed only slightly by my shaking fingers, I fastened the pouch of coins to her belt, smiling again as she jiggled it slightly to hear the coins rattle around inside. A trifling amount of money, though more than she had probably seen in her life.

“Let me win my dignity back. Thirty silvers.”

My attention was pulled from the joyful playing of my companion to the woman and the bearded man, their eyes focused on me and the rest of my coins. Annoying. Pitiful. If money had been so important to them, they should have just beaten the girl and kept it. A rational person would have gone for the easy money. A smart person. "No thanks," I held my left hand up, waving them away as I steered the girl towards the door. "I think we've both had enough excitement, and its far past somebodies bed time". I glanced down at the still smiling girl, trying to play up the doting Father role as much as possible. In a lot of ways it was sort of true; this event had never been about money. Much of what I did was not, at least not after I had become what I currently was. Being a Knight of the gods offered some special privileges, and cheaper arms and food at most places where I asserted my name and authority was one of them. No, this had been about the girl, and showing her something fun for one of the first times in her life.

A sharp grab of my shoulder held us in place as we turned to leave, a wholly intoxicated man shaking a coin purse clearly emptied after a night of ill advised gambling.

"See this mate?" Alcohol rolled off his breath like his entire body was made of the stuff, his words slurred and his stance unsteady. "You cost me a good deal of penny pulling that stunt with your girl there. Least you can do is let me earn it back."

I reached up, brushing his hand off my shoulder, only to find another hand replace it as more of the drunks in the bar saw an opportunity to try and win back their money. Angry faces peered at me from the edges of the crowd, and the slight body of the girl at my side pressed into me, the joy of her victory vanished as quickly as it had come. Small hands clasped the bag of coins close to her chest, her eyes gazing at me uncertainly. This is how it is then, I thought to myself, shaking off the other mans hand and turning back to the table. Fine then. The corners of my eyes constricted, my gaze turning into a cold glare as the whites around my pupils nearly disappeared. A bit of fun was all I wanted. Were these people so petty that money meant this much to them?

"Stay close to me," I whispered down to the girl, ushering us slowly back towards the table. "This won't take long.

The bench groaned beneath my weight, the quality of its build clearly not intended to support someone wearing so much metal. "Nice group you have here. Though don't know what I expected from a backwater pub like this." My words earned a sharp glare from the bartender, and angry muttering echoed around the room as I spoke. Good. Let the bastards get mad.

"
I don't come nearly as cheap as the girl," Fabric rustled as I parted my cloak to the side, a smaller coin purse appearing in my hand. "And I'm a betting man myself. Five gold is the bet. Win and I'll throw in the girls coins as well."

An inch suddenly separated the two of us as the gril shrank back, clearly worried about losing her hard earned coin. I chuckled, giving her a reassuring wink. "In return, I expect your coin, that man to your sides coin," My chin tilted towards the bearded man sharply. "And your coat. Girl needs something warmer."

My elbow thudded sharply on the table as I offered my right hand. "No handicaps. Do we have a bet?"

Last edited:
TucanSam TucanSam

“Blame the alcohol, not the setting,” I softly sighed as I spoke and lifted a shoulder in a half shrug. “People get angry in royal palaces just as much.” There, it seemed to lessen the tension, though not completely. My back straightened, muscles tight and shoulders squared.

The situation had taken a sharp turn in the wrong direction and it unsettled me, though not because I feared for my own safety. I did as much as anyone would, surrounded by drunken men ready to pounce at the opportunity to get their coin back. It was the safety of the child that worried me though not as much as it would someone who loved children unconditionally. This girl was defenceless without her guardian and I knew well how that felt, to rely on someone strong.

Even strong men fall to a crowd of drunks.

I let my gaze drift towards the girl for a moment, taking note that she remained close to her companion though also dangerously close to the drunken crowd around us. A table separated us but I was confident I could jump to the child’s defence if needed. It was me who started this arm wrestling competition after all, and I had to take responsibility for not stopping it sooner. It started out as a bet between two acquaintances and grew out of proportion, beyond my control. The atmosphere changed. It was tense and saturated with hatred, turning air thick. Laughter ceased and while my words calmed some, it was not enough to lift the negativity.

Though as the man spoke and I listened, I realized that it was impossible to turn this into another friendly bout between strangers.

“No,” my voice was stern and crisp, a sharp contrast to the slurring words grunted by our audience. “I refuse this bet.”

Oh, the bet was tempting. Five gold with some thirty silver on top of it. It was enough to last more than a day in this tavern and enough to prepare provisions for my journey westward, as I planned originally. It was enough to mend my clothes and buy some new ones, to replace the worn boots and fur hood that I’d left upstairs in my room. My stomach whined in delight at the food I could afford and prepare, not having to resort to hunting for scrawny rabbits whilst traveling.

Tempting and stupid, that’s what the bet was. And humiliating.

The crowd around us groaned in protest. Someone’s hand was a dead weight on my shoulder, keeping me in place as I pushed myself off the bench. It was Malcolm’s and when I looked up at him, about to demand him to release me, I saw that he was not looking at me at all. He was looking at the stranger, a sudden clarity to his only good eye. I shrugged off his hand and pushed off the bench, leaving the seat and my opponent.

No one was in my way as I stepped towards the hearth, though if there was enough space for one to occupy, being wedged between the hearth and the table, I was sure there’d be someone. But my slight frame fit here, my back to the table and arms crossed over my chest. A string of profanities directed at my person rippled through the crowd as it grunted in dissatisfaction. It was better, I supposed, than having them be more vocal in their opinions of me had I lost. Had I won…well, it was doubtful that heavy coin purse would’ve left the tavern intact and with its owner.

Same as they won’t let this stranger leave.

Mountain damn him for having betted anything more than a gold.

Someone pushed aside the bench roughly and it protested with a scrape. A heavy thunk made me look curiously over my shoulder. Malcolm had plopped himself where my spot was moments before and his elbow was propped up on the table, his beefy hand reaching for the stranger’s.

“Me, then,” he grunted and angled his head to regard the little girl behind his opponent. “Not yer kid, is she? I’d wager not. Such an angelic face.” There was a hint of glee to his voice that almost made me shudder in disgust. “Let the lasses hide. No need to play pretend now, eh? Men should always lose to women in show of strength. Builds their confidence, I was told. Dalaklis needs to tone hers down, eh, lass?” Malcolm turned to look at me and I regarded him with a blank stare, lips pressed tightly into a thin line. He awaited a response and I offered none except for a slight shrug.

“Do this, then. Five gold plus the kid’s, against five and a half of mine.” Perhaps feeling the stranger’s refusal, Malcolm leaned forward and a toothless grin dotted with silver teeth spread across his face, distorted by the scar and his mask. “Ah, don’t leave, friend. There’s more. There is a mare, see. A great horse at the tavern’s stables. Pure bred and strong. Let’s bet on that, eh? You win, my gold and horse is yours. But,” he leaned back, a fist on his waist as he regarded the stranger confidently, “I win, you give me your coin and your armour.”

Hands clasped tightly and they began as someone from the crowd signalled with a short and loud, “Go!”. Everyone cheered for Malcolm and made their own bets. Most were in Malcolm’s favour but there were some who put coin on the stranger, perhaps motivated by their original losses when they betted against me.

The tavern was lit dimly as they all were. Between a handful of tables there were perhaps six candlesticks to spare, most of them as short as the morals the men around them provided. No one had noticed me move from the hearth and navigate my way around the table towards the notice board. Just as I grabbed my plaque, biting my cheek and gulping down my hesitation, Malcolm roared. A wall of people prevented me from seeing much of what was happening at the table but many stepped back as Malcolm rose to his feet so quickly and suddenly that the bench fell backwards and rocked on its side.

“How?!” Malcolm demanded and hit his hands loudly against the table top. If he could, I was sure he’d flip it over to eliminate the last obstacle between him and the armoured stranger.

Thankfully, there was no table between me and the stranger. Only a crowd that was dissipating, moving, angry or sad or in fits of hysterical laughter. It was not hard to reach the girl and her companion, for I avoided the men as water slipped between rocks; it was getting the two of them out that could prove to be problematic.

Leaning towards the girl, I whispered loud enough for her to hear, “Follow me.” I reached towards her but it was not my hand that grabbed her first. It was one of the mercenaries and he was about to push the girl nonchalantly to the side to get to the stranger. Before he could, I grabbed his little finger and pulled to the side. It was a little-known fact that wherever that finger went, the arm had to follow, otherwise something broke along the way. The mercenary - Ulric, his name appeared in my memory – did not resist, or at least stopped after his features twisted in pain and he grabbed his biceps after I let go and pushed the girl behind me as gently as I could, a silent command to stay close.

I looked up to see Malcolm’s face twisted in fury, his eye ablaze with anger and malice and his nostrils flaring as he struggled to breathe.

“Calm down, Malcolm,” I told him, my voice barely audible above the crowd’s roaring. They were still distracted but soon their shenanigans would cease and the small window of opportunity for the stranger and the little girl to escape would close.

“Calm down?!” Malcolm roared in response, his eye looking at me for a fraction of a second before focusing on the armoured man once more. “This fucker can’t make a fist, for fuck’s sake. I lost my mare—“ His words were cut short as ale splashed into his face and a goblet rolled on the table as I dropped it.

“Follow me. Now.” I leaned towards the stranger and whispered the words quickly and as loudly as I could into his ear.

Unable to wait any longer, I turned and unconsciously pushed the girl in front of me as I made way through the crowd. Strange how something like this, protecting someone, was a habit. I did not have to will my hands to hold onto the girl tightly but carefully, for my body moved of its own volition, used to these movements just like it was used to wielding a weapon.

A gasp parted my lips and my body jerked backwards, the back of my head flaring in burning pain. Loss of balance was momentary, my body already mid-turn and a fist raised to strike at the smashed-looking nose of my assailant. He let go of my braid to grasp at his nose, blood bursting through his fingers and coating his clothes a labyrinth of bloody rivulets. Out of habit, I ran a hand over my braid, taking comfort in its coarseness, and with my other I pointed up the stairs. Behind me the inn keep left his post at the bar and went to restrain Malcolm.

“Up,” I commanded the child and went up the short and worn staircase myself. The relative safety of my room was the only place I could think to hide the child and her companion until Malcolm’s anger died out. It was doubtful it would but there the two of these strangers could catch their breath and leave without a crowd barring their way.

With a push against her back I herded the child towards my room. It was the third door on the left, made of roughly nailed wooden boards as the rest of them were. It flew open and I lead the child inside, waiting at the threshold for her companion. In my peripheral, my box room suddenly appeared extremely small. It only had a bed, a large basin to wash yourself with and a short stool. My short-spear was sheathed and leaned against the corner where I’d left it, a traveling bag beside it, packed and the flap closed.

“Take the collar,” I told the child and nodded at the fur leather collar casually draped over the foot of the bed. “Put it on. You must be cold.”

Chaos erupted around me nearly as soon as the mans fist hit the table, gasps of anger and disbelief filling the room as people realized they had once again backed the wrong bet. I didn't blame them for being astonished; until the man had grasped my hand there was no real way for me to know how this would have gone. Arm wrestling was a past time I had no interest in, and still didn't honestly, before now, and how exactly it worked or what strategies people used had been far beyond my own comprehension. If it had been a matter of grip strength, there was a slight chance that the bearded man may have triumphed but, as I had guessed, sheer strength was far more important. The large man simply did not have enough of it in the end.

Movement behind me caught my attention as I turned, in time to see somebody push aside the small girl with me. anger flared in my throat and without hesitation my hand reached for my sword, fumbling a bit as it tried to pull it from its sheath in a motion that normally should be fluid. Something sharp in close quarters could be dangerous despite my inability to wield it with anything approaching skill, but only now did the thought occur to me that refusing to draw it out of fear of embarassing myself had been a supreme mistake over the last few months. Dropping the idea in frustration, my hand cocked back ,ready to smash a hole in the mans face, only to see him backing away, nursing his arm. And the girl gone. Focus shifting over the bodies in the room I caught a glimpse of her being led away. By that woman. Cold ran through my veins, and I pushed through the crowd, throwing elbows as needed to clear the rabble out of my way. Among the confusion and anger, something had been whispered to me about following her. It did not take a ton of investigative power to imagine what it was she wanted.

Behind me, angry chaos erupted into fighting as those who were not quite drunk tried to restrain the ones that were, but my focus was only on the woman before me, and the child she was leading upstairs. Boards creeked as I flew up them after her, my feet skipping steps as I willed myself to move only a little bit faster. Kidnappings had been a fear of mine ever since the girl had come into my life, but until now I had been fortunate enough to not have to deal with them. In this situation though, in this place...

Should have just left, my conscience chided me. money wasn't even worth it.

That wasn't the point of the bet I had made though. There was no point in lying to myself. I'd wanted to show off to these bumpkins, to crush their spirits in the hopes they would leave us alone. And also in the hopes of hitting somebody. My thoughts poked my honesty once more as I reached the top of the stairs. Transporting the girl had been so far... boring. Not much in my life could be called exciting to most people. For large parts I was a merchant, others a vagabond and simple poor traveler. Fighting though, that was a constant in my life from the beginning. And one I had grown to enjoy. Serendipity had given me strength to win most of them, but age and position had largely forbidden me from seeking them out. A frustrating balance had been struck, and this was an easy way for me to vent some frustration. Not in this way though.

Normal men would have tried to immediately take the girl when I was alone, allowing me to deal with them in private. Robbing us on the road as we left town was also another popular tactic, something easily explainable to the girl without making it seem that I was a giant asshole. This was something different though. Something I did not have the patience for.

The edges of their cloaks disappeared near the end of the hall on the second floor, and I followed suit, pausing briefly at the door to grip my sword and pull it free with some effort. Spilling blood had been something I tried my best to avoid in front of the girl but, just like in every other instance, it was not always avoidable.

"If coin is that valuable to you miss," I said as I rounded the corner into the room. "You sure as hell picked the wrong guy to try to get it from."

TucanSam TucanSam

Pounding steps alerted me to his presence. Stairs shuddered so violently the floor boards vibrated under the soles of my boots. Metal clanked, chainmail rustled. I was aware of the man’s arrival well before he rounded the corner to face me. Steel whispered as a sword was pulled free and a pit formed in my stomach, my mind alerting me to step away from the threshold and into the relative safety of my room. I did no such thing, well aware of the fact that my room was the least safe place in the entire tavern safe for the ground floor where men yelled and furniture scraped and the inn keep tried to regain some form of peace.

Three steps. Such a short distance separated me from my weapon. Little good it did to me here, anyway. My short-spear was six odd feet and the ceiling was only seven feet up. The width of my room was about eight, barely enough for the straw bed and the basin at the back. There was little space for two people to rest, let alone two people to fight.

So, my spear remained in its spot, long and worn and safely sheathed.

The stranger’s voice sounded to my right and I angled my head to look at him and his pulled free weapon, ready to cut me in two if he so wished.

Great.

“Coin?” I asked, surprised at his choice of words. Slowly, not to provoke a premature attack, I stepped from the threshold and side-stepped to reveal the girl behind me, unharmed except maybe for a possibly blooming bruise from where that man grabbed her. “Put your weapon down. Your coin is of no interest to me. It is to them, however.” I tapped my heel on the floorboard. The sound disappeared in the angry voices and harsh scraping coming from downstairs.

Hands raised to indicate that I was unarmed, I watched the man and, moreover, his sword. Bodies had a way of showing what their owner was about to do. Knees bent before one was about to jump, feet shuffled in footwork to allow an attack to take form. I looked out for these signs, these tells, ready to spring towards my spear myself, though I hoped that the owner of the body before me was not stupid. A fight in the close confinements of my room, and the hallway, was disadvantageous for both of us. My weapon was a mid-range one and the dagger in my boot would do little good against chainmail and plate. Between the two of us, the stranger was at a bigger advantage with his one-handed sword and brute strength.

There was the girl too, far too close to me and far too small to protect herself.

The calloused fingers spread widely as I held them for a moment in mid-air and reached gently down the pocket of my coat and revealed, after a momentary pause as my finger hooked the wood, the plaque with my name.

“Come inside and take this,” I said, my eyes fixed on those of the stranger’s, cool and silver and devoid of ill intent. “Bring this to the inn keep tomorrow and leave with me. He’d assume you stayed the night. Let Malcolm’s fury stew. He will calm down eventually. Tomorrow I will lead the two of you out. They will assume you hired me. And most know well enough not to cross me.”

I let that information sink in, hoping it would lower his sword hand instead of raising it to cut my hand off and be done with me.

“Leave now if you wish. There is an angry, starving and drunk mob down there. Your coin, armour and sword, and,” I could see the girl with my peripheral, “the child will feed them and their families. I am leaving tomorrow and you can come with. Leave now and I will not help. Your sword-hand, I’d wager, will not cooperate either.”

It was foolish of me to involve myself in the matters of these two. Yet I did, foolishly or maybe inspired by how the little girl reminded me of myself, and it was only fair that I did. The angry crowd downstairs was of my doing. If I was allowed to help, that is. If not, this stranger would face the consequences of his own recklessness and stupidity, either overconfident or severely underestimating what an angry drunken mob was capable of, led by a mercenary that was humiliated not once but twice in one evening, no less.

"Put your weapon down."

A puff of breath burst out of my nose as she said that. Did criminals really think that ever worked? Maybe when the they clearly had the upper hand, but the woman was clearly unarmed, save for a spear in a corner of the room, and even if she had some sort of knife hidden on her, she had to know that the armor I was wearing would give me enough protection during a fight to take her out. Anger blotted my senses, blocking out whatever she was saying in order to focus my skills and reaction time in order to kill her as quickly as possible. Whatever her demands were, whatever she wanted in return, I wasn't giving to her anyway.

"Save your breath, scum. The only thing you're getting is the end of my sword through your-"

"Nathan, stop it." The high pitched voice of the girl broke through my anger, pulling me slowly back to the realm of sane men. "I don't like it when you fight."

My eyes refocused on the room around me, taking in my surroundings until they fell on the girl. a fur collar hung around her shoulders as she tried to nestle deeper into it, cherishing the warmth it provided. A massive upgrade over the thin cloak we had been able to get for her on the road. Nobody else seemed to be in immediate sight, and the size of the room left nowhere for somebody to hide. If this was a trick or an ambush, it was one far better than I was able to detect.

"Are you hurt?" I asked her, my anger turning into curiosity over what exactly was happening. The girl shrugged gently, pointing an arm lazily at the woman in front of me.

"She pushed me a lot. I didn't like that."

I chuckled a bit, letting my sword lower in my hand until the tip scraped softly against the flooring. She wasn't in danger at the moment, but that didn't mean that everything was alright. Basing my opinion on what had happened below, nobody in this town was trustworthy, let alone a con man.

"You're a mercenary then," I remarked as my eyes rolled over the wooden plaque. A simple way for people to put their names out there and hopefully gain work. Not nearly as elegant as the organized services that would recommend somebody based on what you needed, but there was little hope of such guilds ever making it this far out of a major city. Still, there were likely more trustworthy names below, men who did not frequent such places except to find work. Men. The word stuck in my mind for a moment as I considered the person before me. In a lot of circumstances women were strong, even more than capable in others. In others they were not though, and gambling on the spear of a woman you did not know the mettle of was a risky venture at best.

"You expect me to hire and pay you without knowing your destination, your skills or whether you are trustworthy at all?" My head shook as I entered the room, closing the door behind me before quickly putting myself between the woman and the girl. "I am not so crippled that I am unable to kill a few drunken men, nor do I need the pity of somebody who wins contests of strength through cheap tricks. Still," Again my gaze wandered to the girl as she yawned, climbing slowly onto the bed and laying on her side.

"She is safe for now, which means you are not a complete waste of human life. I suppose. That's not enough of an endorsement for me to hire you in any capacity, even if it is only to leave the city. Where exactly are you headed, and why?"

TucanSam TucanSam

"Save your breath, scum.”

Just like that whatever similarities between the stranger and Leon I’d seen – or, perhaps, imagined – vanished. Now that there was no crowd watching us and my senses were clear, not blurred by alcohol stinking breath and nauseating heat of bodies, I could focus my attention solely on this man, this stranger clad in armour and chainmail and wielding a sword with well-hidden difficulty. There was a restrained strength to him that I could see and this was what made me see Leon in him before. Not anymore.

Their features were so similar it made my stomach sink and my heart clench in long forgotten affection. Both tan and tall, looking at me with the same pair of brown eyes. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, maybe I’d gotten drunk from smelling the ale for hours or maybe I was just losing my sanity. Or maybe I just wanted to see Leon, a wish I’d buried long ago with my tears and sadness and heartache.

But his stranger was not Leon. I knew that and his words, angry and untrusting, brought me back to reality. Leon and this man – Nathan, the girl called him – shared their height and skin and strength, but that was where the similarities ended.

Leon saw through people’s true nature, he saw reason. There was not one instance where I’d heard him say anything disrespectful to anyone. His silence was enough to provoke.

Even as Nathan lowered his sword I did not move, did not even let out the breath I found myself holding. An unsheathed weapon was dangerous no matter how you held it.

With a furrowed brow I regarded the man with confusion. Had he not understood what I was saying? While my voice was laced with a slight accent – this language was being one of many that I knew – I knew I spoke fluently and with clear intention. A step was taken back and I took care not to step onto the low straw bed that was nothing more than a mat, now occupied by the girl who’d quickly fallen asleep. With the door closed, only some light crept into the room, some stripes of candlelight from the hallway and the dim moonlight from outside. Nathan rounded me and I let him, keeping a safe distance from him, my movement slight and silent.

“You misunderstood,” I said, my voice low on purpose not to wake the girl and attract unnecessary attention to my room. Someone’s door creaked in the hallway and angry grumbling followed. “I am not asking you to hire me. Malcolm will be waiting for you, to rob you or kill you or both. If you value your life, you must leave as soon as it is light. Tomorrow at dawn I leave town. Our interests align only in the time of our departure, nothing more. Whether you wish to follow me, or hire me, is up to you. I offer you my help, for free, if you want it. If not,” I began to lower my hands, “I will not try to convince you.”

There was little space for me to choose a safe spot, so I settled for the next best option. The far corner of the room, close to my spear and travel pack. I kept both near the door, paranoia and experience teaching me long ago that it is best to be ready to flee than not.

“Most here know of who I am, what I am capable of. I’ve bested Malcolm in combat before and will again. You might, too. However, tomorrow those men will not be drunk; neither will Malcolm. There is a child in your care. Think about her first, not your pride. Your emotions, your pride, will be your downfall.” Despite my words, I did not sound condescending. My voice was level and calm, as it always was. Like water, it was once described. That comparison made me laugh at the time.

It was true that I meant to convince this man to agree to my offer even if I kept telling myself that I shouldn’t get involved in his matters. I never got involved in anyone’s matters, really. What changed? Perhaps I truly was losing my sanity over the years, hit over the head one too many times, and saw myself and Leon in this man and little girl.

Between the two of us, emotions were most likely to cause my downfall.

I gave no reaction to his insult and ignored it just as I ignored the assertive look he’d given me. Many would’ve insulted him back and demanded the two of them to leave. Not me. I let him waltz right in, sword at the ready; let his child stay on the too small for two people straw mat. My patience was great, as was tolerance for people whose tongues couldn’t stop an array of insults.

“I am currently headed westward, then – who knows? The next town is a week on foot. Unless I am hired in one of the villages I stay during my journey, west remains my destination. My occupation is of a bodyguard and a guide. In the end, it is up to my charge where we go.”

The wooden plaque was deposited back into the pocket of my coat, and I wished it ended up in the pocket of the inn-keep instead. Winter was a harsh time in Riverside and without any coin to my name, there was little I could do. West was my destination for another reason, a personal one, and it was no one’s business to know.

Tavern’s door slammed and gravel rustled beneath someone’s feet. The wind carried angry voices away, muffling them and through the thick glass window of my room I couldn’t understand a word. The inn-keeper’s voice came from downstairs as he snapped at those who’d just left the tavern. Sudden quiet downstairs pointed to who it was that left and, as I angled my head to look through the window, I could see a small group of people dispersing at the gate leading to the tavern.

At my side, the girl’s silhouette was small and dark in the dim light. My fur collar was big for her, enough to be used as a short cloak, in fact.

“She can keep the collar. Another one can be made quickly, anyway.” I looked back at the man. “Will you put your sword away now? I mean no harm to either of you.”

This woman was a puzzle. One that I did not intend or have the desire to unravel. Had I misconstrued things? It was true that I mistook things people said, seeing the worst in them whether they had meant it that way or not. A failure of my upbringing for sure, but a valuable lesson for anyone to learn in the big bad world. People were not kind, this much was true. A mans compassion only went so far as it would go without inconveniencing himself. Not that I was free of such delusions myself; my reason for wanting to help the girl were selfish in their own right. Very few people did anything without some benefit to themselves. As the woman went to the corner, setting herself up in the corner where her weapon could be reached easily. For all her preaching of trust and true intentions, I imagined she would not be adverse to spilling my blood if need be. Typical, then.

Walking myself next to the mat the girl was sleeping on, I set myself down next to it slowly, stripping off layers of my outer clothing as I did. The cloak was thin and rough, with a few holes worn through it. Beneath lay a thicker tabard of wool, emblazoned with the image of a winged beast burdened with packs and bags. Revealing the image in smarter company would not be entirely advisable, but here in the heart of the continent it was pretty safe to flash around. It even sometimes worked as a conversation starter. Plus the damn thing was hot enough without a cloak over top of it.

"Whether you mean us harm is largely irrelevant. There are others that might, and I'm not foolish enough to put her life in the hands of a stranger no matter her intentions." THough more bravado than anything, it was largely true I'd gotten very little sleep during the journey. No sentry could be trusted as much as my own eyes, and for some reason I had found myself putting the girls safety far above my own. A departure from my natural personality. I still wasn't sure what to make of it. The air in the room had taken a more amicable tone, in my mind at least, though her depiction of me caring about my pride over the girl certainly raise the hairs on the back of my neck. Women in large part knew just how to push my buttons. I didn't like it.

"I doubt a fur collar will do her well where we are headed. How far west are you headed?" My aversions to her "morals" and her "good intentions" were not far removed, but someone willing to work for free was generally either stupid, or planning an ambush. I could deal with both, and knowing the lands around us may prove useful before I had to kill her. If I had to. "If you have horse or carrige, I'll pay you for as far as you will take us. But my "pride" won't accept the generosity of a mere gambling con man. She's dealt with enough as it is," I glanced at her sleeping form quickly. "But the road doesn't get easier from here just because you want the world to be a better place. Though if she does not have to walk, that's preferable. I don't think "Malcolm" is going to pay up with his horse."

TucanSam TucanSam

Tension released my muscles, letting my shoulders fall and knees straighten, no longer ready to jump towards my spear. With the man sitting on the floor, stripping the outer layer of his clothing, there was no need for me to be cautious. Not as cautious. There were others who were dangerous, who wished the three of us harm. One of them had left the tavern’s premises but it was still uncertain if he’d be back, perhaps only kicked out by the inn-keep until his anger calmed. Malcolm did not come across to me as vengeful, not that I knew him well, having only met him once before. I had defeated him, that was not a lie, and his friendly demeanour surprised me when he’d approached me earlier this evening, laughing and joking about that short-lived fight.

It was best not to let our guards down until we’ve left the tavern. No one knew where I’d stayed, here or at The Green Scroll where my plaque still hung untouched, and I paid the inn-keep good coin to keep it so. My room remained my little haven for the time being.

“Up to Escus,” I said. “Dark rumours surround those parts. I wish to avoid it if possible.”

Rustling outside pulled my attention to the door and I watched the hallway through the cracks. Soft candlelight slashed across my face, lit my furrowed brows as I squinted, trying to see. Clothes rustled and a woman giggled in a high-pitched voice; her voice drowned in a serious of wet smacking. Then a door creaked as it opened and closed, leaving the hallway in silence except for an occasional creak of a floorboard.

“There is no carriage,” I said as I crouched down to pick up a short candle I purloined from downstairs. With the stub of wax in my hand I straightened and reached for the door. “It is not hard to acquire, however. I will be back.”

Checking the stables occurred to me as I held my candle above a torch in the hallway, waiting for the fire to catch on. One of those horses was sure to be Malcolm’s but finding it would result in a guessing game. He’d said it was a purebred mare but its colour and age was a mystery. There was no sound of hooves against gravel at any point after the inn-keep kicked Malcolm and the crowd out into the cold rain, so the horse must still be inside, ready to be claimed by Nathan as his prize. Not that Malcolm was likely to pay up, however, on that Nathan and I could agree.

With a hand in front of the flame, I carried the candle back into my room and closed the door behind me with the heel of my boot. It shut silently, closing off the bright light from the hallway and leaving us in darkness until I sat down cross-legged on the floor in front of Nathan. The candle was placed between us, closer to the wall, and lit the two of us in a soft orange glow. It rolled over the golden broidery of my thick coat that I did not remove even as Nathan stripped off his cloak.

In the dim darkness, I did not see the symbol sewn into his tabard but now, with less than a foot between us – sitting close to him was not intentional but there was little choice – I could see the winged beast burdened with packs clearly. It prodded at my memory; something about it was familiar.

“Gambling con man?” A smile ghosted my lips as I looked up from the symbol, amused at the way he called me. The winged beast was none of my business and there would be time to ask about it later, anyway. “No, nothing like that. It started out as a bout between acquaintances. Others chose to make a betting game out of it. Any smart man would wonder why I’d won against those twice my size. They were curious, I suppose. Gambling isn’t in my nature. Lying isn’t one of my strong suits, either. Yet, I fooled you into believing I was a con man. Perhaps I should consider this a line of work upon retirement.”

Leaning back, I let my fingers fumble with the ties on the flap of my traveling bag. The knot was undone, the flap pushed open, and I took out a folded parchment.

“Malcolm’s horse remains in the stables, if you wish to claim it,” I said as I straightened and unfolded the parchment to lay it between the two of us. It was a large map, commissioned a long time ago from a cartographer I met in Vellanmar. It cost a pretty penny and took some time to make, but it was worth it.

An extremely detailed map of Riverside and its outskirts lay between us. Names of villages, towns and cities were depicted in perfect calligraphic writing. Patches of forests were made of miniature trees, hiding the pools of lakes, some named and others not. Hills and mountains to the east of Riverside sloped up and down in elegant ink. The river, Sidra, on which Riverside was built, was dotted with small boats on the way to the harbours of Anderfell and Vellanmar.

The map was creased at the folds and its edges were frayed from years of use. Had parchment not been of superb quality, it would’ve fallen apart long ago. Yet it didn’t and I held it as one of my most prized possessions. It was also written in Izmarian, a precaution I’ve taken to keep the map in my possession.

“We are here,” my finger traced Hampstead written above a small circle of houses. We were in the centre of Riverside, a week’s journey from Sidra. I slid my finger over the rough parchment to the left until it stopped over a small city named Escus. It, unlike the other main cities of Riverside, lacked a wall surrounding it and was built on Sidra’s source.

“This is how far I am willing to go. It is a month’s journey from here on horseback.” It was not a long distance from Hampstead, however between Escus and Hampstead was a patch of empty land labelled as swamp. “There are two ways to reach it. First, to go north and go along Sidra. Second, to go south and circle the swamps.” I traced each route with my index finger, tapping Escus each time it reached the word. “Unless a boat is taken to shorten your journey, swamps and forests must be avoided with care. The safest is the route to the south; the shortest is to rent a boat.”

I leaned away from the map and pushed back my thick braid that had fallen over my shoulder. “A week’s time from now I will be in Greenlaw, searching for a job. Unless you wish to hire me in a guide’s capacity, Greenlaw is as far as I will take you. Otherwise, the choice of a route is yours and I charge ten silver a day. Thrice that if you require protection. And I will remain with you during your journey until my services are no longer required.”

My voice was low in a whisper and I had to pause for a moment as someone’s door in the hallway opened and the muffled voices and laughter to vanished into the distance. This pause allowed me to look at the man closer, checking for any belongings that he might’ve brought into the room under the cloak. There was a small bag that I could see but nothing else. The girl didn’t seem to have had any packs on her person either.

“In the morrow, I will leave to prepare supplies. Do not be alarmed if I am gone when you wake. Decide now if my horse and company is all you require. Ah, and,” I extended my hand towards the man, “my name is Irene Dalaklis. Not a gambling con man, even if I came off as one.”

"A bit much don't you think?" My brows raised at her prices. A simple soldier cost far less than that and, despite her cockiness in her own abilities, there was nothing save for the arm wrestling to suggest she was anything other than average. "Not to disparage your.... ability, but you do not even have armor." The knuckles of my right hand racked gently against my chain mail, causing it to jingle gently. Air left my chest in a long yawn as weariness began to take me over. Weeks of inadequate sleep were beginning to catch up to me, and the lodgings we had found were not exactly as secure as I had been hoping to find. Staying up the entire night may be a task to big for me.

"If the journey is a week at least, perhaps you can prove your worth then," I leaned forward in the light, straining my eyes to see the map. Strange symbols and letts appeared all over it, a dialect I had probably seen before but could not place. Travel as often as I might, the world was too big to remember everything, and this clearly was not an often used language. "From the outskirts somewhere, huh? Would make sense out of your coat," My hand gestured lazily at her dressings as I allowed familiar landmarks and masses to lead my eyes over the map. I'd never been to Greenlaw before, but there was a good chance it was a hole in the wall much the same as Hampstead was. The bigger cities lay further out, as did our chances of trying to secure some form of comfortable, discreet travel.

The area of swamp was of the most concern going forward though. People could be dealt with, nature could be not, and i had never had the occasion nor reason to try and travel through a landscape such as that. Neither had I ever ridden a boat, nor did I want to. "Have you been through there before then?" My hand tapped at the swamp slowly as I tried to imagine what would be needed for the trip. Would horses run in a swamp? How deep would it be? Were the roads well maintained? Enough to pass through without difficulty and without being seen when we didn't want to be? Steppes, plains and mountains I knew, even those I had not been to. Once you experienced a part of mother nature, you quickly learned how to deal with it, or else. If it had been just me trying to make it through that area quickly and silently, I could probably manage. But the girl?

I glanced at her on the mat, her legs curled up and the coat wrapped around her like a swaddle. If I could get the both of us through, it would not be easy. Nor fast, and we had wasted enough time on this trip as it was.

"Should the occasion come in a weeks time, and I was to hire you..." I paused slowly, trying to consider what it was that I was saying. Hours before now, the idea of hiring this average woma n with a knack for cheating men out of their money would have been nonsense. Now? Having made enemies of most of the men downstairs, and a name for myself even if I had not mad enemies of some of them? Coming into this town with the hopes of finding a capable fighter to guide us even part of the way had been dashed. Unless I hoped to find somebody in the next village, this woman may be it. A sobering though. "How much do you know of the north?"

My hand traced somewhere further up above the swamps, stopping short of our true destination, but going high enough to make it clear that we were doing more than a routine trip across a few cities. "This trip will not be short, and the reason for it follows us close behind. We need to move fast. How fast can you get us there?"

Haste was an issue, but so was money. The faster we could make the trip, the less it would cost us. I'd made a big deal of flashing some gold around to impress the local bumpkins, but my reserves were not limitless. More than half a years trip would run me dry before we ever got to where we were headed. Not that she needed to know that, though.

TucanSam TucanSam

Not one for introductions, then. My hand remained between us for a moment longer and I pulled it back, unfazed by Nathan’s lack of manners. Inwardly, however, I was glad the girl had addressed her companion by name, otherwise Nathan would have remained as the man or stranger in my mind.

A shrug was my response to his remark about the price I charged for my services and I said, “Armour slows me down. It is a personal preference. It confuses me how you can walk in yours. Too heavy, too loud.” It truly baffled me how anyone could wear such heavy metals on their person, restricting their freedom of movement. On top of that, he was wearing a cloak. It was much more efficient to roll into a blanket and ask someone to tie it with twine – results would be the same. A blanket and twine was cheaper, too.

Tired and worn from the day’s events, I stifled a yawn myself with the back of my hand. Not that I have done much. Sitting still made me anxious and only remained cooped up in the tavern during evenings and nights. The rest of the day was filled with walking around the city or training in a clearing I’ve found outside a farm. It was boring. It wasn’t hard to find entertainment within Hampstead but most of it revolved around getting intoxicated, which wasn’t something I did, anyway.

“There is only my name and reputation to show you. I am no performer; there won’t be trouble sought to prove my skill,” I told Nathan and watched him stare at my map, squinting at it in the dim light. “Hopefully, there will be no need to fight.” As he gestured at my coat, its purple and gold a stark contrast to his dark metals, I snorted. “Yes, outskirts. Slightly farther to the west.” Only on the other end of the continent, months’ journey from Riverside.

A sharp gust of wind hit the window, made raindrops splatter against the glass with rough force. Above us the rain tapped on the roof and I hoped the thatch would hold and there would be no leaks. The weather matched my mood as I let my gaze wander over the map where spots of swamps were dark blots of ink.

“Yes,” I answered. “Both as a young warrior and later as a seasoned traveller. It is not a place to visit. There is nothing but decay. It is best avoided, if possible. Less dangers on the roads than there.”

Some might argue with me on the dangers of swamps. Actually, most would. People settled around the swamps, built their villages and lived there for decades, never traveling broader than the nearest stone’s-throw village. Not the most ideal area for farmlands but it had other perks that people learned to take advantage of. It was even beautiful, if open marshland areas with an occasional grove or copse and brambles were to your liking. But the swamps held dangers beyond the most obvious ones. They were hidden deep within, dark and decaying, rotting away. The memory alone was enough to made me shudder.

I leaned closer to the map to look at the area he’d pointed to. The far edge of my map, north west of Riverside, where forests were aplenty before changing to a rocky scenery of mountains. I nodded, my memory searching the names for familiar places.

“Enough to know the area. Been there before, stayed for a while and worked.” His words troubled me. They were being followed? By whom? Why? None of this was my business to ask and I did not want to, even if my curiosity shone brightly in my eyes. Everyone who hired me as a bodyguard always had a reason behind it. Someone was always in danger, always in trouble, and I was but a bodyguard who could help those in need but never for free. These two hidden in my room were an exception. A moment of weakness driven by a memory of long passed events.

Then, if they required my services, this would be no different from my old jobs. But it was much easier to not get involved in the affairs of sleazy merchants than in affairs of two people that were so similar to Leon and I in the past that I would’ve thought them to be mirages sent to mock me.

My index finger traced a road from Greenlaw, up to Escus, and then around the river’s source where it forked, towards the point Nathan marked with his hand. “Two months if roads are clear and the weather doesn’t turn for worse. Winter is close. Once snow falls, a sleigh would be more beneficial than a carriage. Snowstorms aren’t a problem in Riverside until mid-winter. However, north is a different matter.” It was hard to predict the weather by the mountains, especially two months from now. “Let me ask the merchants and seasonal workers when the time comes. Right now, two months’ journey is my prediction. With what is happening in Escus, it could take longer.”

I had planned to avoid that area of Riverside. It was unstable, hunger and disease driving people to madness. A madness used well by the Church of the Blessed, who had taken root deep within the city. Whoever my companions were (we would be traveling together for a week, after all), I doubted they had anything to fear from the Head Priest and his nonsense of magic. Me, on the other hand? With my Mark a black stamp on my chest, saturated with magic? The Head Priest would have a field day.

Not that my companions needed to know of the danger I posed. No one knew of my Mark and it would remain so.

The map was folded and I got up to put it back into my travel bag. “Rest. Tomorrow I will see about a carriage.”

~

For the first time in perhaps a month, I felt like luck was truly on my side. When the other evening Malcolm blamed by wins in cards on Lady Luck, I thought it to be silly. It was only cards. Easy to win, especially when your opponent was easy to read. Malcolm was like an open book. At least, that is what I thought, but his friendliness unnerved me still and I felt like something was off. As I left my room at sunup, I expected an axe flying my way or at least a party of men to ambush me on my way out. But nothing of the sort happened and my paranoia left me feeling idiotic.

So, was it luck to find the stables empty the next morning?

Was it luck to not have anyone follow me as I made my way through the town, stopping here and there to purchase an item or another?

It was certainly luck to find my horse still at the stables, untouched, and my neck intact after I’d insulted Malcolm the other night.

The streets were as calm as you’d expect them to be in early morning. Shops were opening all around me; merchants prepared their wares in the market tents and women lined the streets, all sorts of produce laid before them as they sat down on low benches. Sun shone bleakly above, a lone disc in a pale blue sky barren of clouds. It was a good sign. Some warmth on the road would be nice and by noon I was sure the temperature would rise.

Lucky, I thought.

Uncertain if Nathan and the girl would remain at the tavern for long with me gone, I tried to hurry back. Nothing was told to Nathan before I left, for I decided to let him sleep longer, and I went about my day as quietly as I could not to disturb either of them. The basin in the corner of my room was quickly refilled with clean water from the well that, usually, I’d use to wash myself before traveling, but with two strangers in my room I opted for the next best thing – washing my face and arms. The basin was left there for either of them to use without me present.

Nothing was left in the room to indicate I was coming back. My spear was with me, resting over my shoulder, and my bag hung leisurely at my side, full and plump with wares I’d acquired. Pressed between my forearm and side was a set of clothes wrapped in twine. Made of thick wool that was harsh and rough to touch, the clothes were dark and made for an adult, a male. If the girl refused to have this, it wouldn’t take me long to sew them into something my size. Not my colours, but when it’s cold, it matters not what colour a blanket is.

When I left, there were three horses at the stables, one of them my own. Upon my return, only mine remained. This made my heart skip a beat and I asked the stable boy about a mare that might have been picked up by a mercenary. It was, “By a man in a mask,” he said. It couldn’t have been more than an hour since I’d left and either it was a coincidence that Malcolm avoided bumping into me or he waited until it was clear to pick up his horse.

With the leftover coin, I paid the inn-keep for the room and went upstairs, carrying the wrapped-up gift for the girl in my hands.

“Malcolm’s horse is gone,” I said as I entered the room and closed the door behind me. My spear found its spot in the corner but the travel pack remained on me. “I haven’t seen him either. It is best not to let our guards down, still. Your gold and armour is enough a reason to rob you. Regaining his pride is but a bonus.”

The pack with folded clothes was put down onto the straw mat and blade gleamed in the dim morning light as it swiftly cut through the binding twine. As I deposited the dagger back into its sheathe in my boot, I said to the girl, “These are for you. Size can be adjusted if it’s too big. They are warm, however.”

With the gift out of my hands, I stood up and looked at Nathan, my lips pressing tightly to form a line at the sight of his armour. Hardly inconspicuous. Neither of us were. At least, a cloak hid his chainmail, whereas I remained gold and purple, a bright patch of colour. It was never an issue. Izmarian mercenaries were not rare, though each wore different colours. Never purple, though. Perhaps I should reconsider my stance on cloaks just this once and wear one to pass through Malcolm’s fingers in case he was setting up an ambush.

The thought made me chuckle inwardly. My tell-tale olive skin and long braid was a rarity in these parts of the continent, this deep into the territory of Riverside. Had I wished to hide, I’d have to pull a hood deep over my face and deal with limited vision as well as a weight over my shoulders and pulling fabric nagging at my shins.

I hated cloaks, if that wasn’t obvious.

“There is no carriage,” I broke the news with a soft sigh. “One was being sold for a gold coin by its owner but its wheels were a wreck. We’d have to mend them mid-journey. I was told of a merchant caravan passing through these parts not too long ago. If we are lucky, they are in the area and require extra protection. It is good coin and company. We might have better luck finding a carriage in a village, anyway.”

I reached for my spear and let its smooth lacquered shaft rest against my shoulder, my thumb tracing over the dents in the wood. “Are you ready to leave? The horse is dressed to ride.”

Rays of morning sunlight filtered in through the window, playing painful red marks across my vision as I tried to roll away from them. Somewhere in the night I had managed to curl myself up near the foot of the bed, and apparently I had not moved from that spot until the woman had returned. Sleeping in was something I almost never did, but apparently the trip had taken far more of a toll on myself than I thought. My eyes glared hazily at the woman as she spoke, my mind taking a moment to register just what exactly was happening. The sounds of a town waking up, the uncomfortable mat beneath me, the girl happily rubbing the fabric of the clothes between her hands. This was weird. I did not like it.

"That's to be expected," my voice was a rasp from dehydration over the night. "Men in towns like this don't pay up on anything that doesn't benefit them." Slowly my body arced itself to a sitting position, my temples beating hard as if it had been I who had been drinking the night before. Another weeks rest is probably but i needed, but I'd push on through it, as always. Sleep could wait for when I was finally dead. "I'm surprised you managed to con any coin out of them at all, to be honest."

Though its wheels were apparently damaged, the thought of buying the wagon if only to save some walking was awfully tempting. But if it meant having to slow down on the road and give people behind them a chance to make up any of the ground between therm, I was not sure if it would be worth it. But damn, was it tempting. Growling from my stomach let me know I should have awoken earlier and gotten something to eat, but the real worry was the girl. Physical exertment was not something she.... excelled at, and the walk here had been a test in patience. Asking her to do so on an empty stomach? I shook my head.

"Perhaps a break to eat and wake up would be in order. Unless you have something easy to eat on the road?" What exactly she planned to do according to the travel plans was something I hadn't much thought about. The easiest choice would to simply be to have the girl ride and save for the horse in case we really needed it, but there was no way of knowing how she would react to riding on top of one; Hell, I wasn't sure if she had ever even seen one in person before. Riding would likely be as uncomfortable as walking on her, but at least it might be a tad bit faster.

"Otherwise, I'm ready to get out of this shithole." The hirl shot me a look over her shoulder. "Hell hole, I mean."

TucanSam TucanSam

“They are not all bad, the men,” I said and let out a long sigh out of my nose. The two of them had just woken up, neither ready to get up and head out yet. Perhaps it was a bad idea to let them sleep in. Daylight was limited, especially this late into the year, and I did not want to lose it. With Malcolm breathing down I necks – Mountain, I hope he’d let the events of last evening go – it was best to leave at sunup. “Though I am as surprised as you are. Gaining coin from arm wrestling was...interesting.”

Slowly, I set myself down cross-legged onto the floor. My spear was still in my hand though I angled it, let its bottom counterweight crape against the floorboards, and spared a hand to pull against the strap of my traveling bag to set it by the wall. There was little point to standing still and waiting for my companions to get ready. It would only unnerve them, staring and waiting and impatiently glancing out the window, counting remaining hours of daylight in my mind.

With my spear rested over my lap, I lifted it to take off the leather scabbard, revealing an elongated triangle blade secured at its base by metal clasps to the polished lacquered wood. The blade was in a good condition, its edges sharp and dented here and there from years of use, and it gleamed brightly as I twirled the weapon in my hand, turning the blade this side up and that, inspecting it for signs of rust.

“Eat and get ready, we have the time.” We really didn’t but I couldn’t well tell them to hurry up. It was but a slight delay. As long as Malcolm did not show up, delaying us further, we’d be half-way to the next village by nightfall. “I do have food, yes.” My hand paused and my lips flattened as I hesitated to tell Nathan that the provisions I’ve prepared weren’t for him and the child. “Eat now. It’s best not to take breaks on the road. Take this to the inn-keep when you go down to get breakfast.” My hand slipped into the pocket of my coat and I handed the wooden plaque with my name to Nathan. “Ask him for some cheese and bread to take for the road, too. Just in case.”

Traveling accompanied by someone wasn’t that out of the ordinary. It never slowed the journey down by much and it provided a certain sense of safety, comfort. A piece of civilization to keep you company as you travelled down a dirt path with nothing but nature to keep you company. This, however, felt different. It felt…troublesome.

Was it selfish to not share something as basic as food? Perhaps. I did not want to tell Nathan that the food I’d bought earlier in the morning was for me, not us. It was not bought with half a payment I demanded up front from my charge to prepare for the journey, for both of us. My companion was always prepared for the journey and we shared provisions gladly, both contributing rather than leeching off the other.

Truthfully, I did not know what to do in this situation. Telling him that what I had was mine felt wrong. It felt wrong not to share. Not that he did not have the coin to buy some food, either. It was common sense, was it not, to be ready for the journey and not rely on the charity of others so readily?

For a moment, I was silent. Trust was hard to come by and I didn’t trust Nathan as much as he didn’t seem to trust me. Wishing to keep my Mark hidden was not the only reason I slept dressed in my coat and boots. His words the other night unnerved me and, had I not know how to fall asleep instantaneously, I was sure I’d have been kept up half the night by paranoid thoughts. The symbol on his chest haunted me; it kept prodding at my memory, demanding to be remembered and recognized. Maybe it could point me to who he was and if he meant harm. Maybe the tabard was stolen. Maybe I was thinking too much into his actions.

He just felt wrong. Both of them did.

My paranoia lifted as I watched the silent reprimand the girl had given Nathan, meanwhile sliding my hand wrapped in oiled cloth over the spear tip.

“It is nice out today. Maybe some sunlight will change your opinion about this hell hole. Next village is two days’ journey. Trees and fields is all you will see for a while. Do both of you want to wash before we leave?” I nodded at the water basin at my side. “I can wait downstairs for when you are ready.”

My attention wandered from her as she began to polish her spear, not bothering the time it would take to wonder if this was her sort of way of saying that she was dangerous. Through my life I'd met my fair share of spearmen. I was not impressed. A cumbersome weapon that became a liability up close. Sure, for taking down mounted soldier or for killing horses, it had it's uses, and let us not disparage the popular sport of jousting. But in a practical fight? It was just another negative against her in my evaluation of her skills. The wood plaque was cool to the touch as I took it from her, leaving the two of them behind to do whatever primping it was they needed to. Hygiene was something that the girl had been used to before she had met up with me, and surely it was something she had missed during our travels on the road. My inability to provide any sort of bathing for her save for the odd inn we may stop at must have been far from the norm, but if she had ever missed it she hadn't said so. The woman? I had no idea what her daily rituals were and did not much care. All experience I had with woman had been of the fight first, bathe later category. I still was not sure she fit into it.

Wood softly thumped as the door closed behind me, the hallway empty and dimly lit as the suns rays filtered in through the window. Whatever commotion had been happening last night, it seemed that most of the patrons had not bothered to pay for a room. Likely they were all local then, with their own places to go at the end of the night. My suspicions had been correct then; the woman cheating them out of some silver was something they tolerated only because they knew her. If I'd bothered to try to leave last night, it was likely they would have tried to stop me. Stairs creaked as they struggled against the weight of my armor, something I hadn't bothered to take off before sleeping. Uncomfortable to say the least, but comfort was not something I'd been afforded much in my life anyway.

Disheveled chairs and overturned tables had been righted, put back into place and washed. A few maids went about dusting the shelves and windowsills, and the smell of cooking meat and vegetables again permeated from the kitchen, but save for the workers and the owner behind the bar, the place was completely empty, and likely would be until at least noon. Hopefully we would be gone by then. A rough grunt was the only greeting I got as i approached the bar, the man behind it clearly not too happy to see that I was still there. I plopped the plaque onto the counter wordlessly, my eyes turning to the kitchen as he put it below the bar.

"What do you have cooking this morning?"

The barkeep spit to the side quickly. "Eggs and beef. Five silver a plate."

My hand slapped enough coin down for three plates, I wasn't a complete asshole, and the man waved a hand to one of the maids to fetch some.

"Do you have any provisions for the road? Steamed potatoes, Apples?"

Another flick of his hand motioned towards a basket near the end of the bar. Woven from reeds, it held several small bags, each tied tightly and cinched with a rope below a sign that said "10 silver per". I reached for two of them, groping the edges of their contents as I tried to guess what was in them.

"Bread and cheese. Some dried beef as well," The barkeep answered my silent question, his hand motioning for my money. "They'll keep for a week or two before they go bad. Best you'll get without making one yourself."

I nodded my head slowly, producing 20 more silver as the bartender did his best to milk me dry. In a place like this, i was sure those bags sold well, and he was clearly trying to take advantage of travelers who did not want to take the time to go shopping for their own food. If they were worth more than 5 silver each I would have eaten my own gloves, but the woman had brought back a small enough bag to make me doubt she had given us much thought, and I did not savor the thought of going shopping in whatever this place passed off as a market. I'd pay for the convenience.

A moment of awkward silence later and the maid brought out a platter, 3 plates with small slices of beeg and an egg each sitting on top of it. Gathering what I'd paid for I thanked the woman before turning to go back to the room.

"A warning, pal," the barkeeps voice stopped me at the edge of the stairs. "Malcolm isn't the type to let things go. He'll be waiting fer ya."

I did my best impression of the mans grunt before continuing up the stairs. A bear shit in the woods too, but that news wasn't any more surprising than what he had told me. Based on how they had acted last night, a little bloodshed was to be expected. Hopefully it didn't take too long.

Kicking the door open as I returned caused the girl to twirl from the window, her new clothes donned and ill fitting. Still, a smile crossed her face as she spied the food, and she quickly took a plate before taking a spot on the mat. I placed the rest of the platter down before taking my own, sitting next to the girl as we ate.

"Once we're done eating we can go," I said through a mouthful of food. "Didn't know if you wanted any or not."

TucanSam TucanSam

There was no need for me to move to give the girl some space as she washed. I kept to my corner of the room, my spear still in my hands, its blade wrapped in oiled cloth. It was nothing more than a part of my daily routine. Caring for one’s weapon was expected from a mercenary of high calibre, something I did not think of myself as but others did, and a rusty, dull blade spoke volumes of its wielder. To me, at least.

It was also a way to boast when I was younger. A young woman wielding a weapon as big and heavy as a spear? Oh, I was proud. So, proud I polished the blade with an audience if I could find one. It was stupid, of course now I realized that. Over the years, I’ve come to a realization that only country ninnies gaped in awe at anything more elegant than a cleaver and others, people with coin who hired me, only cared of my skills. They wanted to see what I could do, how many people I could kill. In the end, their opinion did not matter to me, either.

The clothes I’d given the girl were too big for her and I’d made a mental note to give her a sewing hit to fix them. Though one look at her hands – I couldn’t help it, I looked at people and assessed what they could and couldn’t do out of habit – was enough to know that she’d probably never held a needle in her life. Her small hands were too fragile, too smooth and pale. Like that of a noble’s daughter.

My brows furrowed slightly in thought. Who were these two? The man was obviously rich enough to afford chainmail armour and two swords. He looked nothing like the girl. A guard, then? Tasked to take the girl somewhere safe? Pursuers made sense. Had these two not been on friendly terms with one another, I’d have thought the girl to have been kidnapped.

The door being kicked open pulled me away from my thoughts and I looked up at Nathan only when he spoke, sitting across from me, eating. The third plate he’d brought surprised me and I looked at it in slight confusion, not expecting an act of kindness and charity from him.

“No,” I said, shaking my head as I looked back at my spear. “I’d already eaten. Thank you.” It may have been polite to eat what he’d brought even when I was full, but one look at the too-thin girl stopped me from eating for the sake of etiquette. “Eat, do not worry about me.”

Leather scabbard slid on the blade easily and I put the oiled cloth back into my traveling pack, which I’d slung over my head as I got to my feet. “I will go down to the stables. Come when you’re ready,” I said and left, the door closing softly behind me.

The inn-keep had given me a stare on my way down the stairs and, as I raised my hand in a goodbye, he’d waved me away impatiently. The stable boy, on the other hand, appeared to be more amiable and helped me ready my horse. My travel bag and a blanket were strapped to its saddle, its leather dark and worn.

“She’s fed,” the stable boy told me. He couldn’t be more than fifteen, his sun-kissed skin freckled and his straw blond hair cut short. He patted the neck of my horse gently, brushed its black mane with his fingers and watched me as I adjusted the straps of the saddle. “Good horse but stubborn. Refused to move at all, strange thing, until you came over.”

“Doesn’t like strangers,” I told him.

We chatted as I waited for Nathan and the child to come down. The stable boy was looking at me and the horse with awe, as if we’d stepped from the pages of some legend he’d heard as a child. There was nothing extraordinary about either of us, my horse a common breed in Riverside, and I was but a bodyguard from a land very far from here. But to a boy who’d probably never left the area of Hampstead, anyone foreign was a rare occurrence.

When Nathan and the girl arrived at the stables, the boy hurried off to busy himself with other tasks. I lead the horse outside into the small courtyard in front of the inn and held onto its reigns as I glanced down at the child before looking up at Nathan.

“The girl can ride with me. My horse rarely likes strangers. A fickle thing, that one.” I patted my mare’s neck, smiling. “Don’t worry, no harm will come to the child.” There was a short pause as I considered my options. I’d never ridden with someone on the same horse as me, not since I was but a child.

Having decided what to do, I rested my spear against a nearby wall. With it out of my hands, I reached down for the child and effortlessly picked her up, inwardly wincing at how light and small she was, and put her on the saddle. Then, I climbed onto the horse myself in one smooth, fluid motion, one hand braced on the saddle and the other reached for my spear to take it once more. The horse stood as still as a statue at first and once I was mounted it shook its head, its ears fluttering. It took some wary steps as I made myself comfortable, pressing my chest against the girl’s back more for her comfort and safety than my own. Mare’s hooves kicked up the rubble and it snorted loudly beneath me.

“Hush,” I said softly to it, my hand patting its neck gently as it held onto the reins.

A carriage would have made our journey much easier but even if the wheels of the carriage offered to me earlier today weren’t in a shabby state, I’d have refused to purchase it. Malcolm was still an unknown and if he was planning an ambush, it’d be easier avoiding it without a carriage strapped to my horse, slowing it down on muddy roads. But there was no carriage, and only two people at a time could ride on my horse, and one of them wouldn’t be Nathan. Even if I allowed it, I doubted my horse would. It was not a lie that it didn’t like strangers.

“Are you comfortable?” I asked the girl and pressed onto the mare’s sides to will it into a slow walk.

A small nod from the girl was the only response she gave as her small hands trembled against the skin of the animal. Eyes wide, legs pressed tight to its side, I'm sure the animal was as uncomfortable as the girl was given the way the woman had described its temperament. As I had thought, she had never been on a horse. Typical for little girls, especially in this part of the world. Horse riding was essential as a skill for a man to learn, I myself had been riding since I was only ten years old. For women it was different, and Irene surely turned some heads every once in a while when men saw her mount. It was the way the world was. With a last check to make sure the girl was at least semi alright, I took off towards the exit to town, sure the others would follow me. A town this size had one main road running down the center of it, and even I was able to find my way out.

Shouting stall keepers and chatting families walked by us with little notice as we made our way out, the sun still an hour or two away from being at its zenith. The woman had said it would take something like a week to get there but, depending on how good she actually was at her job, I was hoping it would be something less than that. The people following us were not the type to take a lot of breaks and, despite the head start we had gotten and the pace at which I had tried to push us, they must be making up ground; slowly but surely. If the time came when they caught us, I was not sure there was anybody in the world that could stop them from taking the girl. At least one of the adults in the party would be willing to try though.

Minutes of awkward silence went by as I walked us down the road, my attention diverted jointly between the hills and tress we passed and the girl riding on the horse. The earlier fear she had shown had been shoved down below a layer of curiosity and excitement as she rubbed at the horses neck, running its rough hair between her fingers and marveling at the muscles in its neck as it plodded along. Interesting creatures for sure. I was curious to see how exciting she'd find them when the saddle began to wear on her.

"Took you long enough," A voice interrupted my internal musings. I turned slowly to regard Malcolm, his face covered in some sort of mask and his meager armor adorned on his body. Three men flanked him, dressed similarly, weapons brandished. Could say the same thing to you, I muttered slowly under my breath. We were a good few miles outside of town now, and it wasn't like there was a city guard out here to mess with anybody. If they had wanted to try to "ambush" us, they could have done the service of doing it closer to town and getting it over with.

"What exactly do you want now," My voice came out as a small yell over the distance between us. "Have you come to deliver my horse?"

The corners of his face pulled upwards in a pitying smile. "If you like. Though you aren't likely to get much use out of her if you're dead. Hand over your gold." He pointed a hand at me, then the two on the horse. "You too Irene. Knowing each other only carries you so far. Iffin you're with this guy, You must be in service to him. That means you're a target too. No hard feelings."

Two of the men laughed as they took a step forward, emboldened by the confidence Malcolm was showing in the situation.

"And if I refuse?"

Malcolm smirked again, pulling his helmet a little bit tighter over his eyes. "I don't reckon you want to do that, friend."

TucanSam TucanSam

The dirt path was wet from the rains of the past week. Puddles dotted it here and there, my mare’s hooves kicked up the dirt beneath me and snorted loudly from time to time, seemingly agitated at having to go at such a slow pace or at the weight on its back. Had there not been two companions with me, I’d have sent the horse into a gallop until it heaved heavily and stopped only to let the horse rest. Most horses in the area weren’t trained and those that were, were sent to the estate of knights and their vassals, impossibly to buy for someone like me. Acquiring my mare was luck more so than coin and I got it for one reason – it was strong; it could run without tiring for a long time.

But the good weather made the slow walk bearable. Sun kissed us with rays of warm light and not a cloud was in the sky. Once we’ve passed the gates of Hampstead and entered the outskirts, where villages were clusters seen at the horizon, the open areas of farmlands went on for miles on either side of the road we were taking. The ground was still dark and wet, the harvest not ready till spring. It would be beautiful here then, with the grasses tall and green, rippling in the wind like the waves of the sea. Now, it was but a bleak dark land where an occasional house could be seen in the distance.

There was little cover here, with an occasional copse here and there. It was usually a peaceful area, for thugs and bandits preferred a more closed space, something nearer a forest. Still, I didn’t let my guard down and looked around for signs of pursuit.

I’d noticed Malcolm well before he spoke.

Idiot, I thought. What was the point of an ambush of he was going to introduce himself and voice his demands? He could’ve done this back at the tavern and saved us all the trouble. Not that either Nathan or I were going to comply to his demands. Not that I had any coin to give to him.

I pulled the reins back and my horse stopped obediently, and, feeling the frustration of her rider, snorted and fidgeted beneath me. I could feel its strong muscles tense at the sight of weapons drawn but it remained still as I willed it to.

Precious time was being wasted and I still needed to get the child away from this, from Malcolm. A quick glance around the area was enough to know that there was little to run to. Just a farm in the distance, a sole thatch cottage that could have been abandoned for all I knew. Then, a copse of trees, too far and too small to hide in. The forest was too far away, visible only in the distance with its dark emerald peaks.

“Listen to me,” I bent forward to the girl, my voice loud enough for Nathan to hear but not Malcolm. I made a show that I was looking for something in the saddlebag to fool Malcolm into thinking I was going to give him the coin. “See that house there? In the distance? Run there and—“

“Hey, no fuckin` voodoo magic, you got it?” Malcolm snapped, his voice a low guttural growl. Beneath his helmet and mask, I could see his eyes turn to slits. “Watchin` you. Get off the horse.”

I did no such thing. “Want your coin or not?” I snapped back at Malcolm and as his men started to circle us, I spoke quickly to the girl. “Run there as fast as you can. Don’t stop.”

It took little effort to hook a hand under the girl’s arms and pull her off the horse. It was too high up to put her on her feet, so I had to let her slide off my arm and land on her own. The mare’s massive frame protected her from any arrows, though I hadn’t seen any of Malcolm’s men with a bow. “Go,” I commanded the child and turned the horse just as one of Malcolm’s men ran towards me, an expression of confusion and anger twisting his face into a grimace. He was going to go after the weakest one of us, the child, and I had to press against the stomach of my mare to command it forward and turn, cutting off the way to the girl.

The man stumbled backwards, his feet slipping on the mud and before he could recover I acted, my spear already mid swing, its length allowing me to strike against the side of the man’s neck with its shaft. He crumbled to the ground, still alive but knocked out.

Malcolm remained on his horse as I did. It allowed us an advantage, a higher ground, and I doubted the child could have ridden the horse to the farm had I been the one to climb off. She shivered like a leaf as we rode out the inn, her hands gripping for anything to hold. Better to have her run through open fields than stumble off the horse.

With one man down, Malcolm was furious. Had I didn’t know better, had I not seen him mad with anger last evening, I’d have blamed the sun for playing tricks on me and colouring Malcolm’s face red.

“I don’t know which one of ya I want dead.” His eyes shadowed, I couldn’t see where he was looking, but I got the impression that he assessed me and Nathan individually, and, as Malcolm kicked the horse into a gallop in my direction, it was evident whom he’d chosen. Unsurprising.

Malcolm snapped his gloved fingers at the two remaining men with him and waved at Nathan, barking an order as his horse galloped past them. They started to circle Nathan, swords drawn. A skilled warrior had troubles handling more than one opponent, and my companion had issues holding a sword, struggling to keep his uncooperating hand hidden. I’d seen it last night, I heard how slowly his weapon was drawn. I only hoped that Nathan had the common sense to stay out of underfoot and go after his ward instead.

But he was armoured, he wore two swords. All I could do was hope he’d ward off his opponents as I dealt with Malcolm. So, I willed my horse into motion, turning it around and galloping away from Malcolm instead of towards him.

A glance was thrown at Malcolm and his mare, and, having made sure I was far enough, I turned my horse around and headed straight at him. I’d never jousted – it was not a sport for women and I couldn’t stand in all that heavy plate, let alone ride a horse in it. But I’d seen tournaments many times, I watched the knights ready themselves, prepare their lances. My hands mirrored their movements, turned my horse and positioned my spear just so, aiming for Malcolm’s ribcage. He wielded a broadsword, his sheer strength allowing him to hold it with one hand while on horseback. His hand was cocked back, his body ready to strike my spear away. But my horse was faster and he was burdened by the weight of his armour and heavy weapon to react quickly.

Tip of my still sheathed spear dug into Malcolm’s ribcage, throwing him off balance and saving the head of my horse by a hair from being struck at by blade. Air left my opponent’s lungs suddenly and he gasped, let go of the reins of his horse and stumbled off his horse and onto the ground. His mare ran without its rider for a good twenty feet without stopping, confused and alarmed. By that time, I was already on the ground, spear pointed at Malcolm’s throat. It was still sheathed. Malcolm wheezed and his hand grabbed at the mud, searching for his sword, which I’d hooked under my foot and kicked away.

“This is the second time I spare you,” I told Malcolm as he stared at me with all rage he could muster. “Don’t risk another.” My spear turned swiftly and its counterweight smashed against his windpipe with an unpleasant crack. He was still breathing, albeit with difficulty, when I turned my attention to Nathan and his opponents.

Confused and frightened by all of the sudden movement, the girls muscles seized up as the Irene and Malcolm began to fight. Blood drained from her face, and her small hands reached up quickly to cover her eyes. Exactly as I had taught her. Growing up in a secluded town, pampered by those around her and only allowed visitors who had paid an unholy amount of coin, there was much of the world the girl had not experienced. Death and bloodshed was one of them, though the chances for spoiling her innocence had been growing as we traveled. Covering her eyes until the worst of it was over, until I had guided her somewhere she would be unable to see the blood and carnage was the best I had been able to do so far. It worked, and she had the good sense to know when to do it, and to not stop until I said so.

A swift swipe of a blade was enough to pull my gaze from her though, convinced enough that she was safe for now. In the moments the other men had taken to circle around me, the spearwoman had already dispatched their leader. Though he still seemed to be alive. Foolish. I'd have to fix that later. Gravel kicked up into the air as the blade whizzed past me, striking the ground where I had stood a moment before. My foot rose to meet his leg, kicking his knee in a way it was not supposed to bend and sending him to the ground screaming. The other charged at the same time, clumsily flailing his sword at me as I stepped to the side again, bringing an arm up and around his neck, clasping it tight as his momentum finally stopped. Limbs flailing, the man fought against my arm as his breath left him before finally lying still. My arm clasped tighter for a moment, just to be sure, before I dropped him to the ground in a lump of flesh.

"Typical," I kicked one of their boots gently. "Giving a man a sword doesn't make him a warrior. It just makes him an idiot with something sharp."

Metal hissed gently as I drew my sword, my arm struggling to get it all the way out before finally unsheathing it. Pebbles jumped from the ground as the tip sank in slowly, my arm unable to support the weight for long periods of time. In a real fight I may have been in trouble. Had they been real swordsman, running may have been my only recourse but, in this part of the country, where hicks could buy rusted pieces of scrap and pretend like they were bandits I might as well not even carry it around. It sure did make things like this easier though.

"You shouldn't go easy on them," I chided the woman angrily as I approached her and the man on the ground. "If your horse had stumbled, you'd be dead and I'd be left to try and clean up the mess." I stopped a foot from them both, lifting my sword into the air. The muscles in my arm strained, and it shook unsteadily as I held it there, glaring at the woman and the man in turn. "I care not for what skill you have with that spear," I nodded at her weapon. "If you can't finish the job," My arm dropped, sinking the edge of the blade into the mans neck and sending spurts of blood spilling in every direction, "Then what good are you to anybody in a fight?"

I yanked the blade free, wiping it against the side of my cloak before putting it slowly away. "Be merciful if you want," My hand gripped her shoulder gently as I passed her, whispering the words into her ear. "But do it on your own time and with your own life at risk. Or leave now altogether. A killer unwilling to kill is worthless to me," I pointed gently in the direction of the girl, her eyes still covered by her hands. "And worthless to her."

A deep sigh left my lips as I released her shoulder from my grip, walking gently over to the girl. Shakes still racked her body as she tried to sort out what was happening, her eyes still covered with her hands. "It's okay now," I reassured her, sweeping an arm underneath her legs and picking her up gently. "Keep your eyes covered for a little while longer. We're safe now." She gulped back a cry roughly, nodding into my shoulder as she buried her head against me. I gave her back a gentle pat before turning down the road. This was how the world really was, I thought to myself as we passed the bodies. Heroes either died early or lived long enough to regret how they had lived their lives. The woman would learn this soon enough.

TucanSam TucanSam

Disrespectful. Anger and disgust fluttered in my stomach as I watched the men fall to the ground, one still screaming for help and asking his Gods to save him, and the other limp, perhaps dead. I’d seen my fair share of death, both by my hands and others’ but it always made my stomach fold over at seeing the dead disrespected. Seeing anyone disrespected when they were down, helpless.

Still, I said nothing and remained quiet even as the tip of Nathan’s blade sunk into Malcolm’s throat. He wheezed, his body shook and he clawed at his damaged throat. Seconds ticked by in silence interrupted by wet gurgling and then, there was nothing. Just like that, he died. Though my expression remained neutral, my eyes were cold steel and I hoped Nathan felt it as I looked at him as he whispered in my ear, his hand a heavy weight on my shoulder.

Disgusting. It was disgusting to feel him touch me, speak to me the way he did, chide me. Though I wanted to, I did not shake his hand off and waited for him to finish, to let go of me and walk towards the child that did not run as I commanded it to.

There were moments when my charges refused to continue being under my protection after seeing me in action, though their reactions were always different. They were pale in the face or green with sickness, about to vomit their guts out at having seen and heard my opponent’s bones break. They thought I was doing too much, that it would’ve been more merciful to kill with one clean wound. As if life was this easy. As if in a battle, you had a choice of how the fight ended, how someone died.

A bitter aftertaste in my mouth made me sick and anger pooled in my chest as I breathed evenly but deeply, the rush of adrenaline fading and leaving me with a dull ache in my arm from having pushed Malcolm’s massive body off his horse. It was no easy feat – momentum helped, but my spear was no lance and it might’ve broke had I not been careful. I ignored the pain and headed for my horse, refusing to look at Malcolm’s body or the man he’d brought with who kept moaning behind me in pain, grabbing at his ruined leg.

I got onto my horse easily and wordlessly and commanded it into a gallop down the road, where Malcolm’s horse stood motionless. It allowed me to take it by the reins and followed obediently as I lead it still on horseback to Nathan.

“You forget who we are to one another,” I told Nathan coolly as I handed him the reins. There were saddlebags strapped to the horse and I assumed there’d be provisions and clothing ready for the road there. If he wished to strip Malcolm and the others of their belongings he could, but the thought of going through a dead man’s pockets made bile rise in my throat. “Neither of you are my charges. Neither am I a child in your care to lecture me. I stayed true to my promise and helped you with Malcolm. Killing a man unable to stand is your choice, be proud of it if you must. Perhaps you should finish what you’d started and rid those two of further pain.” I jerked my chin at the two men Malcolm had brought with him. One remained still on the ground and the other could only moan weakly as life bled out of his knee. “Saves you and her future trouble.”

Anger was fading slowly and by the time I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and breathed out hard, there was no more ice in my silver eyes. If asked, I would’ve had troubles telling why I was angry. Because Nathan had killed someone I knew? No, Malcolm was scarcely a friend. Because he’d killed so easily, without so much as a second thought? Perhaps, but I’d been the same once. It was not the childish lecture, either; wouldn’t be the first time when someone judged me for my actions, Mountain knows not everyone agreed with me.

Maybe I was…frustrated. Frustrated with him, with the child, at seeing the little girl close her eyes not to see bloodshed and stay still like a target ready to be killed. But this child was not my ward so I let it go.

“The horse is yours if you want it,” I told Nathan. “I am not a killer; however, I am able to lift my weapon to defend my wards if required.” I looked at his hand, remembering how he struggled to pull it out, how it sunk into the ground, unable to be lifted for long. “Had Malcolm gone after you first, had I not been here, it’s doubtful you’d have remained victorious. If there is somewhere you wish me to lead you, I will. Otherwise, Greenlaw remains my destination. Come with, if you wish.”

"There's nothing to be proud of," I lifted the girl onto the horse gently, having given the beast almost no thought after the fight had ended. Being able to find a ride, even if I had earned or won it was such a foreign thought i'd been more than ready to let the beast simply go. Though it technically was mine, after all. When she seemed comfortable I climbed up behind her, letting her small body melt into my own before urging the beast forward. "A man such as him, coming with intent to kill. Does he deserve to live? Would you give the same sympathy to a wolf if it attacks you?Somebody seeking to harm others for an ignoble reason is no better than an animal."

Dust kicked up behind us as I urged the horse faster, the trees and hills turning into blurs of green and brown as we sped down the road. no, I had not forgotten our roles. What she had said of her promise was true, and even what she had said of my hand, though given with more snark than necessary was true. If I'd been alone, I may not have been able to win an outright fight. Though if I'd been alone, the first strike I'd made would have been to kill the man as well. When presented with a group, killing the leader in intimidating fashion was usually good enough to send the underlings scattering. A small group like this? Downing the man alive only served to rage their fuel, not discourage them from fighting. A huff from the horse, and a soft flinch from the girl let me know I was pushing both of them too hard. Pulling back on the reins caused the horse to slow to a gait, and I turned back to see if the woman had kept pace. Her horse had seemed eager to run before, but who knew how its rider felt.

"Leaving the other two there was of no consequence. Nor was it mercy." Sparing the girl from the details, I let the sentence end there. A seasoned warrior knew how brutal injuries to the knees were, and I had kicked the man hard enough in his that he'd have trouble walking if he did not bleed out first. The other? I'd done my best to make sure he would not wake up, but short of snapping his neck I couldn't be technically sure of it. The way his body had slumped to the ground gave me a pretty good idea that he wasn't getting back up again though. "And as you made so painfully clear," I lifted my damaged arm up, shaking it at her gently. "Going the extra mile isn't always worth it, or possible."

I could feels the girls shoulders lump at the mention of my arm, and I made sure the other wrapped around her waist gently, giving her a reassuring pat on the side. My injury was not unknown to her, her abilities made that impossible to hide. The fact that she was unable to do anything about it though had been a wedge in our relationship that had not gone completely away. There was nothing she could do, nothing either of us could do, but the guilt was still there. For how it happened, why it happened, and the inability to forget it had happened. Ignoring and hiding it had been the best I could do to try to spare her some grief, but apparently this woman was not as sensitive to the subject as I was.

"I'll pay you your bodyguard fair to lead us to the next town if that will ease your stomach and conscience. Otherwise there's nothing more I can do for you."

TucanSam TucanSam

There was nothing to say to Nathan, no response I could offer that wouldn’t start an argument or a debate about life and death, about the value of someone’s life, about the stupidity of those who refused to take a life for the sheer purpose of remaining pure or something or other. I’d heard it all.

So, I remained silent, even as my horse caught up to Nathan’s easily, eager and happy to run. I held onto the reins with one hand, my spear still held tightly with the other, pressed to my side. It was easy to ride on horseback, even as my horse sped up and the wind threatened to push me off the saddle. The skirts of my coat billowed around my thighs, my braid slapped against my back and I had to let go of the reins momentarily to brush a few stray strands of hair from my face as my horse walked alongside Nathan’s.

The short sprint shook off the remaining tendrils of anger off my mind, though my brows did furrow slightly at my companion and I glanced at him, wondering if he was hiring me to shut me up, more so than in need of my services. But coin was coin and if he wanted me to accompany and protect them, I would do just that.

“Very well,” I said to him. “A week’s time, then.”

Though it wouldn’t ease my conscience.

The main road stretched out into the horizon, weaving through the farmland, dipping into a copse of trees or a small estate that was nothing more than a few thatch cottages built around a well. Several people passed us by, all going east towards Hampstead, and looked at the three of us quizzically. More than one wary glance was thrown at Nathan and the girl and I told him to bundle up in his cloak tightly.

“Hide the armour,” I told him.

By noon the sun was in its zenith and washed over us with weak warmth of mid-autumn sunlight. It warmed my face and hands and I let myself enjoy it while I could, knowing that in a few hours it would be gone. And though by the early evening the sky had turned into a bleak colour of grey and the gusts of wind became stronger and colder, we remained on the road even as we passed another small settlement of houses and entered the outskirts of the forest. It would’ve been better to ask for lodgings at the estate but Nathan’s words of pursuers kept us on the road until I thought it the time to stop and rest for the night.

It was still light when I led our little procession into the trees, following a dirt path until the sound of water caught my attention and I turned my horse towards it. A stream was nearby and we followed it until we were far enough from the main road. Most trees had lost their colours and the fallen leaves softened the sound of our horses advancing through the forest. Birds sang above us faintly and by our side the stream rolled over the rocks, lively and clear, glittering in the rays of sunlight peeking through the canopy of thin dark branches above.

We’ve stopped once a small clearing was reached at the stream’s bank. It was a dry area, sheltered by trees that still had their leaves, golden and flame-red rustling all above us, with ripe chestnuts all over the ground.

“We will camp here for the night,” I said as I got off my horse and led it towards the water to let it drink, and then drank from the water myself before refilling a flask strapped to the saddlebag.

As my horse rested, I took off the traveling bag from its back and unstrapped a blanket, laying it on the ground by the trees and put my bag beside it.

“Make yourselves comfortable. Wash yourselves if you like. I will go get some firewood,” I added, gesturing at the blanket with one hand and stepped into the trees.

It didn’t take me long to gather a stack of dry twigs and branches. This area was dry and warm, covered in soft moss and shrubbery and fallen golden and russet brown leaves. While gone, I’d also built a couple of simple traps in case luck was truly on our side and a rabbit would pass by the area. Hunting was never my forte; a bow and I were never good friends and I missed more shots than I landed, scaring off my prey and ending up with an empty stomach for the night. So, I never carried one with me, choosing traps and simple provisions instead.

When I came back and started a small campfire in the middle of the clearing, I gathered and roasted a handful of chestnuts that I gave to Nathan and the girl. Then, having finished my tasks, sat down on the ground and reached for my traveling bag to take out the map. By then, it was dark and the firelight illuminated us and the nearby stream; an island of orange in a sea of darkness. There was rustling all around us as the wind blew through the thin birches and shook the shrubbery. I kept my spear beside me, just in case, and kept a close watch of the shadows. Forests unnerved me. I’d have slept on a tree had it been possible.

The map was open on my lap and I traced a finger down the lines of roads and paths that we’d taken from Hampstead and then went down, my finger hovering over the land as I planned the best route to our destination. In my mind, I counted the days it’d take us. Malcolm’s ambush didn’t cost us much, it was but a momentary delay, and we had two horses now, shortening our journey by at least two days.

“Tomorrow we leave at sunup,” I told Nathan as I lifted my eyes from the map. We scarcely talked on the road and I was fine with it, having kept quiet the entire evening myself. It wasn’t awkward, not for me at least. “We can stay overnight at the village of Larnwick. It is a safe area.”

The swamps nearby deterred bandits from staying long in these areas. It wasn’t the most popular route for merchants and travellers alike to take, for the path north was shorter and led straight to the river.

“As you’d hired me,” However strange the reason, “there is one thing I have to discuss with you.” The fire crackled between us as I prodded the firewood with a long branch, sending sparks drifting to the ground. It sent shadows dancing on the girl’s sleeping figure and I watched her for a moment before turning my attention back to Nathan. It still didn’t sit well with me how she simply stood, eyes covered, as we fought Malcolm and his men. “When working, my charge and I agree on a backup plan in case of separation. In case we are attacked, and I know I cannot defend you, you must run. Run south until the nearest village. Stay there for two days and wait. If I do not show up in time, you are no longer my charge and owe me no coin. Do not stay back to help. I am your bodyguard, it is my job to protect you. If you, or your ward, stay underfoot, it is only problematic. It puts all of us in danger. So, when I say run, you run.” I’d forgotten how many times I’d said these exact words to my charges. My gaze shifted to the sleeping child. “She didn’t when I told her to. Perhaps she’d listen to you.”

My hand reached up to push a leather fur collar closer to my neck. It was a spare one I carried with me in my bag, old and worn and made by me. Still, it served its purpose and kept me warm even as the evening got colder and the wind turned my cheeks and nose numb.

“You are the first Knight I see in Riverside,” I said after a moment, my eyes skirting over the symbol on his tabard. “Not many worship your gods here.”

That symbol was haunting my thoughts for a good half a day before I remembered it from a memory that was hazy and old. I’d been but a child when I passed through the parts where that symbol was common, worn by people on their accessories or clothes. It meant so little to me, though I knew it had been explained to me once before, and I guessed its meaning from the few words that I could remember. For some reason, these memories didn’t sit well with me. There was something about that symbol that I didn’t like, that made me want to forget its meaning as a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back