• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Winter of Our Discontent

Shireling

A Servant of King and Country
It is April, 2022. Not that it means anything. The only difference in April and December is that maybe, just maybe, the temperature will climb above 0°F today. As you steel yourself against the customary deep chill of the morning, you may be eating a meager meal of canned beans by the campstove, reading a book by the light of a flickering bulb, or merely huddling in a corner shivering and waiting to freeze to death.

It, of course, wasn't that long ago that the world seemed like it would boil rather than freeze. That time has passed. You're not sure who fired the first shots, but you know that God didn't bring this misery upon the human race, we brought it upon ourselves. 2018 was the year of nuclear armageddon. 2019 was the year of the famines. 2020 was the year of the frosts, and every year since has seen the building of the glaciers. Great swaths of the world now covered in snow and rarely feel the warmth of the sun, even in broadest daylight.

The medium-sized town of Thompson, Indiana is special to you, and that's because it is where you lived, perhaps happily and perhaps not, and where you are almost certain you will die. Why you haven't died yet is a mystery. Perhaps it's the fact that the town is sheltered from the wind between two mountains, or the people here a more conditioned to the cold. Whatever the case may be, this is your home for now. And there are others! Sometimes you've seen them waddling around in the snow. Sometimes you've seen lights in distant windows. Sometimes you hear the crack of a hunting rifle in the distance and know that it is someone. Up till now, you've been conflicted. Reveal yourself, or stay hidden?

Up until now, you've made it alone, or perhaps with a member or two of your family. You've survived exposure, you've managed to stay fed and hydrated. But you haven't thrived, oh no. You probably wake up each morning contemplating suicide. But perhaps, if you can band together with others, you can have a hope of a community and a future.

TLDR: There was a nuclear war in 2018 followed by a nuclear winter which has made the US a frozen wasteland. You are a survivor living in a town of roughly 60,000 (before the war) in Indiana. There are other survivors you can band together with or nah. The goal is survival.

Basically this is meant to be a simple, stock post-apocalypse with a casual pacing and a purposeful lack of details. Fill in the details, make your character how you want. As long as you write realistically, taking into account the threats of the cold, starvation, and social isolation you're golden. Additionally, if your character has a hunting rifle or some camping supplies, that's feasible. If they have a flamethrower and a pressure-sealed mobile home rated for arctic conditions, not feasible.

Try to network, focus on whatever plots you want to pursue. I will have a character(s) and will provide some general place-setting or write for groups of roaming bandits or something, but that's it. As long as you guys are willing to RP, I'm willing to oversee and write as necessary. If school and whatnot comes up, don't sweat it. We will work your characters out of logjams and you can reinsert them when you're done.

We'll see if this gets any takers.

I'm intrigued! I imagine my extensive research of the Donner Party incident may come in handy on this wintertime survival expedition. Winter is a bitch XD

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this one.

I'm intrigued! I imagine my extensive research of the Donner Party incident may come in handy on this wintertime survival expedition. Winter is a bitch XD

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this one.
I'm interested! Been craving an RP like this for a while.
Awesome. That's two takers. I suppose I'll start when I get around four besides myself. So five in total.

I love these kinds of roleplays, though I haven't gotten to do one in quite some time, not to mention wanting to do a winter one for months now. c': Definitely interested!

Did you have a posting length?
Probably like a solid paragraph.

I am very much interested! I would love to join.
The link is up there, bud.

I'm prolly gonna make a Discord server. Post the link when that's up. I'll post the intro post whenever I have at least three completed character sheets.

looks interesting to me and i’ll be making a sheet after i post this! but just a heads ups, i’m quite a busy person on the weekdays, and i’m not a fan of discord so if i could be kept in the loop by pm id appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back