• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Village - Mafia/Werewolf Game

Taj

Too many ideas
Nestled peacefully in an out-of-the-way corner of the world, the happy little town of Grimsby is the last place anyone would look for a horror story. But the good old days have just ended. An evil organization known only as The Clan is slowly infiltrating villages and towns throughout the countryside. Many go quietly. However, the innocent villagers of Grimsby will do anything to protect what's theirs, even if it means turning on each other until evil is rooted out.

Many of you already know this game. It typically goes by the name of "Mafia" or "Werewolf," depending on what form the evil team takes, but for the sake of setting I've renamed it as the "Clan." Since the game is going to be role played out in the open, some rules and roles have to be tweaked to make everything work, so please have a look at the Game Mechanics and Rules.

Overview

Mafia is popularly described as "an informed minority vs. an uninformed majority." This means the good guys don't know anything but their own identity while the bad guys know about themselves and all the other bad guys and everything the good guys are eventually able to figure out. What this looks like in gameplay is this: everyone will role play in an open thread, being careful to make themselves look innocent, and all the bad guys will discuss their evil plans and make jokes about the good guys in a super secret group PM. In the open thread, everyone investigates and throws accusations and eventually votes on a person to lynch each IC day in hopes they are a member of the Clan. In the PM, the baddies choose who gets to be their next victim.

Note: This role play is going to be a combination of IC and OOC...but it'll all be IC. Anything you put in your post, other players can use against you. So if you're a clan member and you killed a guy last night, you don't mention that in your post. You don't think about it. You don't let your eyes get shifty. The moment you let anything slip, other characters are going to smell it. Metagaming: NOT against the rules.

Moving on. The game progresses in rounds which consist of two phases: Day and Night. Day = role play and group discussion about who the baddies are. Night = a lot of PMs where people carry out secret actions that I, as the moderator, will apply during the following Day. That brings us to the last thing, which is roles. Many people (not everyone) have a secret role that will be randomly generated when the game begins. I will PM each individual their role along with instructions, and you're welcome to ask questions as well. Most roles are able to carry out a single secret action per night by sending me a PM detailing those actions. Some of these things will remain secret, some will have a clear result, and some will end up with someone dead.

Rules

General
1. There is no OOC discussion about the game itself. The OOC thread can be used to talk about character history, casually chat about things that have already happened, etc. Remember that OOC isn't a safe zone here, so be careful not to say anything in OOC that could have an IC affect no matter how small. No defending your innocence. If you have a question about something that could hint one way or another about your identity, PM me instead.
2. Do not PM other players about anything game related. This can easily result in the accidental spilling of beans.
3. Do not post screenshots or any kind of proof of your role/innocence/whatever. This will get you immediately banned from the game.
4. Be respectful. This role play toes the line between IC and OOC so be mature about it.
5. Roles may change depending on number of players.
6. Don't ask me for a specific role. Everything is random.
7. This whole thing is pretty experimental. Feel free to provide helpful critique and suggestions. Things may be added, removed, or adjusted.

Posting & Characters
1. Posts should be in third person, past tense, and with good grammar.
2. Posts should be a minimum of one solid paragraph.
3. Be active at least once a round. If you miss an entire round without notifying me, you die. Keep in mind, the quiet ones are often the first to die. More importantly, your team is depending on you.
4. While you're allowed to be as detailed with your character as you please, you won't be required to fill out as lengthy a form as you would in most roleplays.

Game Play
1. Each day will last two weeks. This will be adjusted according to the group's pace.
2. Each night will last two days. When a night begins I will post a deadline for PMing me about secret actions.
3. Clan members may discuss who they want to kill via the group PM at any time. They will select 1 victim as well as the individual who will make the hit. This should be sent in a separate message to me as soon as Night begins.
4. No posting in IC during the night.
5. Every Day each villager will vote in the poll on whoever they want to lynch. Votes cannot be changed during Night.
6. The beginning and end of each night and day, along with all information about what happened during the night, will be posted in the "Other" thread so keep an eye on it. No posting there.

Villagers

Villages don't function without people going to work every day. Players can choose from unique villager jobs such as Butcher, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Bard, Baker, Trader, Innkeeper, and anything else you can think of that would keep a small society going round (these are for story purposes only and do not give unique actions or abilities). It is encouraged to form families and relationships with each other's characters. This role play is about storytelling, not lengthy character development. All of this will be decided in an OOC thread once enough players have signed up.

Roles

Good Roles
Vanilla – Just tryin’ to stay alive. No special ability. Includes everyone who didn't get a special role.
Vigilante – May kill two villagers of their choosing, only one per day.
X2 Seer – Once each night may choose one villager and see their role.
Doctor – May choose a villager to watch over each night. If that villager is attacked, the doctor is able to heal them. Healed villagers may reveal the identity of their attacker.
Sorcerer – May resurrect one villager at any point during the game. May choose whether to officially reveal their role, but this can only be done at the time of resurrection.
Bodyguard – May choose one person at night to protect. If that person is attacked, the bodyguard dies instead.

Clan Roles
X2 Hitman – There to do the dirty work. No special ability.
Harbinger – Once each night may choose one villager and see their role.
Alchemist – May give a sleeping potion to one villager each night, making them incapable of carrying out any actions. May not choose the same player twice in a row.
Trickster – Frames a single villager as a clan member each night. May not share the identity of this person with the Clan, because the trickster doesn’t know when to stop tricking. Seers will see the chosen villager as whatever the trickster chooses.

Last note - It's been a while since I've run one of these games, and I've never done it RP style before, so I apologize if I've left anything out. Please ask questions or offer suggestions if you have any. If this generates enough interest to actually happen, I will be posting much more detailed and linear game instructions with the official thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back