• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Tower: Upheaval [Arc 1]

Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
“Come closer, child.”

Lightning struck, illuminating the castle and its walls, as well as the sprawling town and farm lands within its shadow. The kingdom of Valice was centered there, in the central, land-locked city so named Valice as well. Though, landlocked might not adequately describe it, as three rivers ran along it, and through it, offering it sustaining water and another form of defense, as the castle and its walls were built behind the river Amaris.

Amaris the woman, blonde and tall, stood besides a black horse as she looked down from a hill back to the land she originated in, of no name and no repute, an orphan who played in the streets and made her living however she could.

She could not help but reflect on the twists of events that brought her back with a wry smile as the thunder boomed through the small encampment of her and her followers, so-called the Scions of the Storm. It was fitting that one was brewing now as she let her weight be taken a bit by the mare, who shifted under it.

---

“It’s mine.” Those were the words which left the petulant lips of the young orphan as she approached the woman, clutching tight a stick of skewered meats to her, as the chaos of a festival allowed her to take easily from distracted stalls.

The old woman allowed a wry smile to grace her lips, “I believe you. Come,” she crooked her fingers, and the child came to the stall with the crystal ball, the cards, all the superstitious things the Church would have them deny, claiming their miracles different from magic, their prophets superior to fortune tellers.

There was a silence between them, the child concerned with each word she could or could not say, and the woman, seeming to weigh the thoughts that possessed her. Finally, she took her deck into her hand, and held it out, “Place one hand over it. Close your eyes. Think.”

“Is this going to cost me?”

“No,” she chuckled.

“Don’t laugh – it’s good to be informed of decisions.”

“I’m sorry, child. Go on, this is free, something…,” a moment’s hesitation, but she did not elaborate, “I must see your future for myself.”

Intrigued at the thought, that someone thought she had a future besides herself, the child put her hand over the card, and closed her eyes. She thought of her future, thought of her grand schemes, until she felt the cards shift under her, pulling away. She opened her eyes, and drew closer to the table, as the woman shuffled the deck, her eyes seeming to grow distant, almost clouded, before she drew one card.

Only one.

No spread.

The image of a broken tower was laid between them.

---

“Amaris!”

The shout broke the reverie of thought, the vision of violet eyes widening leaving the memory of the woman. She shifted, pulling from the horse to look back over her shoulder at Dominick. He was a young man from another kingdom, who had been with her quite a while, ever since she turned up as his savior.

The Scions of the Storm were, after all, a group of vigilante enforcers – bounty hunters to some, mercenaries – in the end, the name did not matter. They saw to it that all sorts of crooks were dealt with, within and without Valice – in places where the aristocracy, or the church, or local guards, did not care to look, or taking care of problems that were ‘beneath’ them. As such, they’d gained quite the following, and swollen in numbers over the past year with more and more people who were upset with how things were run, with the uncaring class of nobles so high above them.

“Come on, your food is about to get cold,” the man said, his smile reaching his brown eyes, “I know you can’t wait to get home, but we won’t make it until tomorrow.”

‘I could make it sooner.’ She did not say as much, only offered her ever-begrudging smile and turned her horse from the horizon. “All right,” she fell in step soon with the man in his blue robes, attire that hardly fit him, or the area, but he used it well to make himself seem less.

People doubted the capabilities of him all too often, unaware of how his draping sleeves hid daggers, often poisoned. Yet, somehow, he was trusted with food.

“What is it we have today?”

“Not much,” Dominick confessed, “I sent some to get fish from the river, and I was able to gather some lemongrass to help flavor them, along with our supplies from our last stop. I was also able to find some wild squash, walnuts, and honey to pair with it, so it should be good!”

The noise of the camp was soon quite audible.

A group that hunted and killed for a living was rarely quiet. They weren’t assassins, after all. The noise could be irksome at times, but right then, it was a welcome sound. “You know, we could just tear through Valice.”

Amaris shook her head, blue eyes dropping a bit, down to the armor she once could never afford, the leather and the chainmail, the sword…and smiled, “No,” she wanted them to see what was borne in their streets. She hoped Nathan still led the King’s Guards. “They need us. The realm needs us. The world needs us,” she reminded him, and looked back up, “We must.” After all, there was an illness to the land, a disease spreading and killing. It did not threaten only Valice, but so much more. The King had called for people to go and deal with it, rather than send his own army or military - of course, he would not do that. Not when he feared that weakening his land would allow for an attack by an enemy nation.

People were so petty, after all. And Valice seemed first threatened by this.

“We could save the world after.”

Amaris just shook her head once more, but did not add that she wanted the reward. The titles. The power. The money. It would be given over to her – it was promised to her, ages ago, by that old woman.

Wasn’t that how every good fairy tale went, anyway? The beautiful young woman of ill-birth who would inherit the world, and the wise old woman?

“You will change the world, child. Aye…I fear…you will change the world….”

Praw wasn't one of the loud ones. He preferred to be a silent killer, possibly pun intended. It wasn't that he didn't speak, he had no problem talking, bit from the time he was young every word Praw spoke was purposeful. He had had to learn to be that way. Or at least, it was the only way to thrive. Praw had always been more than a survivor. His father, or whatever the man was, had taught him that, whether he meant to or not.

Praw listened plenty though. He wasn't going to miss a word if he had anything to say about it. There was too much being said, even just around the dinner table. Praw thought people said the most important things while their guard was down, and nothing brought the guard down like food.

"You know what Praw means, don't you?" Dreza asked. She was known to be obsessed with meanings. It was her way to get through a chaotic world. If everything had meanings, even people's names, then there was nothing to be worried about. She just had to figure out how the meaning related to real life. Even before she killed someone she had to know their name.

"What?" Praw asked. He knew. People had been telling him for years. His father, who he only called that because there was no other name, had been telling him for years. Praw didn't think the meaning of names really mattered, but he was listening. Humoring. Letting her say all her assumptions about him so he could use those against her later. That was all there was to do.

"One. Are you an only child?"

"I have four siblings, and I wasn't even the first," Praw answered. It wasn't strictly true. He had four half-siblings in a world where half-siblings weren't common. He wasn't allowed to say as much though.

"Maybe he only has one ball," James said. He was always saying such things. He was a tall man, exotic looking, dark skinned, beautiful. But while he always seemed to be talking about sex, and had plenty of offers from the girls among the group, he never seemed to be having in. Praw wasn't sure if he was the only one who had noticed that.

"Don't be crass," Dreza said. No one saw how she could live an un-crass life, between her current path as an assassin and her military history, and yet she tried. But still, her curiosity got the better of her. "Do you?"

"Guess you'll have to check someday," Praw said, but he knew she wouldn't, and he didn't particularly want her to. It was just what he was expected to say. Anything else would bring notice to him. It wasn't that Dreza wasn't pretty. Long legs and curly hair made sure she was. But Praw was attracted to power, intelligence. Dreza was discipline, faith. They weren't meant to ever be together.

"And James, that means one who follows," Dreza said. "Maybe that's why you're not moving up the ranks faster. I know you're not a later sibling."

"Oldest," James answered. "But I'll have you know that's not why I'm not moving up the ranks."

"Oh? Then why do you think you're doing a shitty job?" Dreza didn't mind swearing as much as she minded talking about sex.

"I'm not doing a shitty job. Amaris likes promoting women," James said. Praw wasn't sure that was true. There were women in leadership, but there weren't only women in leadership. After all, Praw was pretty high up himself. But he was listening, not correcting. Besides, learning something that bothered the laypeople could come in handy.

"Praw, could you see what is taking so long?" A man shouted across camp. Praw stood. He wasn't going to go ask what was taking the food so long. That wouldn't make it come any faster. But he had done enough of listening to Dreza and James for one day. He thought it made him stupider. He may as well see if there was something to pick up from their leader. Amaris didn't concern him much. She may have a prophecy on her side, but she wasn't the only one that was going to go somewhere in life. In fact, Praw was pretty sure he was going to find a way to show her up.

He walked to Amaris. At least she wasn't an idiot leading them. He could care less about prophecy, but she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders. That was probably why she was someone worth writing prophecies about. He didn't think those were handed out all willy nilly.

He didn't speak immediately. Didn't see the need. She would speak to him if she had something to say. But he had a quiet way of making his presence known, of demanding updates. He liked to think he was trusted by her, and she would tell him if there was something worth saying. For now, he would stand and wait.

It wasn't that he was noticible for his beauty. Sandy blonde hair and gray eyes didn't draw much attention. He wasn't big, didn't have much physical prowess. But he had never left someone alive when he was meant to kill them, and when he wanted to tear someone down with words, he did it quickly and efficiently, always seeming to know exactly how to offend someone. He was dangerous to have on the team, and that danger made him respected.

Amaris had made a point to know everyone within the Scions of the Storm by name, by face, and so she knew Praw when she saw him. Of course, given that he’d also risen in the ranks, it was hard not to know him. He was among the few aware of the prophecy, as well – it was not something she tended to speak of, even if it was near and dear. The majority wouldn’t care, or wouldn’t believe, or they would find it silly. She assumed that was what Praw thought. He was not so talkative, a trait both good and bad.

The few who believed it were the ones that Amaris found to be…difficult. They usually shifted from seeing her as someone worthy of their trust to someone who was a threat to them. People feared greatness, feared destiny – change. They liked things as they were, even if they were loathed to admit it, or complained much about the way things were.

So few ever wanted to do anything about it.

She gave a nod to Praw, but it was Dominick who spoke up hastily, seeming to sense an error by the presence, “The food’s done! I just need to get it out – she’s the reason for the delay, wandering off to brood.” Dominick cast the blame easy, another in those high ranks, and Amaris rolled her eyes, but let a smile tug at her lips as she guided the black mare alongside.

“I’ll eat cold food, you know.”

“You shouldn’t. You might get sick. And we don’t need you sick before tomorrow.”

“Well if you can’t heal me so quick then you’d also end up without a job,” it was so casually said, and so sincerely meant, though whether Dominick knew it or not, she did not ask as he laughed it off. “I’ll take my food by the fire,” there were many, but she didn’t need to specify. There was always a ‘main’ one, centrally located, a hub of activity by position, and because many just accepted it that way, and so many gathered there.

“All right, I’ll see that we get the food out to the tables,” people would take what they wanted, but he could get the spread out now, and he hurried off, allowing Amaris a moment to pause before taking her horse back to its place with many of the others.

Praw wasn’t known to do anything senselessly, after all.

“Is there something you need, Praw?” She asked the other blonde, once Dominick had dismissed himself into the tent near the cooking fire, where no doubt his young apprentice Timothy was fretting over something.

Probably his dog. The dog that was probably going to trip Timothy when he helped to carry food out to the tables and win some meat for himself that way. It was more nuisance than anything, but it seemed to amuse the others, and kept Timothy happy, so she saw no reason to get rid of it. She saw no reason to keep it – but that wasn’t a reason to get rid of it.

Dominick would move on his own, ordering Timothy to start plating things to carry out on the platters so people could begin to feast. The young boy – for he was only fifteen – moved quickly, doing as instructed and balancing carefully to follow after the older man. Timothy stood taller than Dominick, but he was not so strong or poised just yet, in spite of his height and the fact he was more known as an actual melee fighter, compared to the black-haired man.

He was able to balance the platters though, and he followed after carefully, the dog so-called Benny ever at his heels, smelling the fish and clearly wanting some by the way he whimpered as he pressed into Timothy and tried to follow, or jolt ahead.

Timmy was getting better at stepping over, or avoiding it, and so the brunette boy for once did not stumble.

“Dinner’s ready!” Dominick called out once the first platter was set, knowing he’d fetch a few more, and make sure there was still plenty to drink – both alcohol, and water. Their crew carried the sorts who only seemed to want one or the other.

Praw watched Dominick struggle over his words of when the food would be served. Praw could care less about when the food was ready. He got hungry just like everyone else, but he wasn't there yet. He was used to denying himself, even food and water, and he wasn't going to starve to wait an extra half an hour for food, and he doubted it would be that long.

He was still a bit annoyed about Dominick though. Why bother speaking if you couldnt speak well? Maybe not everyone was gifted in it, but then you could just keep your mouth shut. At least he was useful. Praw couldn't be liable for what he would do if he didn't have that going for him. Sometimes, when there was fighting within the assassins party, the inciting parties disappeared. It was a whole assassins party, so any of them could've gotten to them. Anyone at all.

"Thank you," Praw said, because it was what he was meant to say. Part of being smart with his words meant saying what was supposed to be said without wanting to. He considered himself wise enough to people skills as well. Sometimes he considered himself a bit too highly. He was good, but he knew it, which he didn't seem to realize was a detriment.

Praw heard Benny and grew even more annoyed, but with no outside signs of it. At least a horse had some purpose. He heard you could train dogs to do things, and people did pretty often on farms, but none of them were on a farm and Benny served no purpose. He was just in the way. But Praw knew better than to kill him. It was another part of his people skills.

"I thought I could eat with you," Praw said. "So you could inform me about what's happening tomorrow." He didn't let himself be kept out of the loop. He was high enough up to be told on a need-to-know basis, and it was another reason to be annoyed at Dominick that he knew and Praw didn't. That just didn't make since tactically. Not in Praw's mind anyway.

He noticed in the back of his vision that James was walking up to Dominick, but decided to stay focused. He probably just had a complaint about the food. If he even got to taste it yet. Praw realized all this annoyance was getting him no where, and yet it seemed practically unavoidable. He would have to find a way to figure it out sometime.

James walked up to Dominick and leaned down a bit, trying to hide his overbearing height, see Dominick face to face, show off some of his swagger. He wanted to impress the man, but mostly he wanted something from him. Was it so bad to have needs?

"Who does a man need to fuck to get some vodka around here?" he asked. He had a very specific pallet, and beer was the chosen alcohol in the area. It wasn't impossible to get vodka of course, it just wasn't provided by Dominick. James was going to find a way to change that.

He figured by starting by asking who to fuck he could work up to an agreement that everyone would be happy with. He just had an image to live up to. He didn't really know why to do that except he was used to it and now it would cause too much confusion in his friend group to change. He didn't want anyone to ask him why he wasn't so interested in fucking any longer. It was better to keep his language dirty.

Amaris hummed in acknowledgment of the request, and what that meant for her plans to eat out at the fire. It wasn’t that anything planned was terribly secret, but she understood that Praw may want to feel singled-out and informed, to be under the impression he had her time and attention, and her honesty, as well as the ability to ask anything at his leisure. There was a good reason to keep him in the loop, and allow him the space to do those things – he listened well, and he responded well to what he learned.

It was what made him a good ally. “Very well,” she agreed, “I will take Deluge back to her place, and then we can take the meal back to my tent. I can fill in the rest of the details.” It was no hardship, she would mingle mostly to hear more, and she could easily do so later, before retiring to sleep.

She shifted, hip bumping into Deluge, and the black horse turned her head briefly, before taking the silent command and turning to follow the direction to where many of the other horses were tied off.

She wouldn’t just leave Deluge like that, though. She made sure to remove the tack, and shouldered it to leave the horse bare for the night – she’d take those things back to her tent for the night, as well, and she would do that before going towards the table where she knew the food would be lain out, certain she’d catch Praw there, already with his food if he intended to eat.

She would. It was better to stay in good health and eat the food while it was warm. She didn’t have to live like an urchin any longer, but she certainly never forgot that she could – that these luxuries before her, even if not luxuries to some, were unnecessary. Of course, she only wanted more luxuries – but that did not mean she intended to forget how to do without, or to forget that it was all for naught if she let these things lead her astray.

‘And tomorrow….’ Tomorrow felt like the first day off the path of distractions, in the guise of a homecoming. ‘A prophet is ever unwelcome in their home….’ As she knew she would be, and yet that thought did not bother her as she took a bit of the fish, and the squash, and water.

She drank on occasion, on celebrations when it was proper – but not that night, and certainly not in discussion with Praw when she had little intention of seeming off-guard.

~***~

Dominick certainly would have moved to gather another platter, were he not turned face to face with James, bearing over him. He was used to the other’s height by now, as he was used to many things, so he just cocked his head to the side as the other man asked his question about vodka. “Well, point of order – Amaris, myself, and Oriana, would be the ones to fuck to ensure you got vodka.”

Considering Amaris led them and could acquire things, or veto them, on a whim. This was no democracy.

Himself, of course, because he placed the food orders in towns, and the menu.

Oriana because they let her deal with most of the financial matters. She seemed a witch at times for how she seemed to find gold, but Dominick was fairly certain she was just good at sweet-talking. Or threatening. He had never quite seen her at work when dealing with their clientele, nor had he seen Amaris at that part when she felt the need to be personally involved, but they always got paid.

And well.

“Though I think it’d be far too tedious a task with Oriana,” he added as a joke, knowing how meticulous she could be about exchanges. “You’d spend half the night talking about what acts were fair to exchange for how much vodka.” He noted Amaris had come to the table, and opted not to throw her under the carriage, as it were, “As for me, well, I hardly know the value of vodka, but a good fuck is likely worth it.”

A single-shoulder shrug, he didn’t take much of James’s commentary seriously. He knew how many fawned over his appearance, and well, who could blame them? He fit the ‘tall, dark, and handsome’ to a T.

It’d be easy to get vodka from any of them for one-night, or more nights. He would get paid, rather than have to pay.

Praw watched her walk away with her horse. He thought she was rather too attached to it. It wasn't smart to be attached to anything. Who knew what could happen to it? Not that he was going to kill her horse, but someone could. Or something could happen to it. Maybe she didn't love it, but Praw didn't think she had a just-in-case horse trained like he did. Not many people did.

He grabbed his food before walking over to the tent. He knew he could've jumped to the front of the line. People did it as they moved up the ranks. No one was happy about it, but no one complained. At least, not in front of the higher ranking leaders. They could complain all they wanted amongst themselves, away from everyone.

He waited in the back of the line though. He needed even his inferiors to like him. And they did. He was known as one of the good ones, when it came to the leaders. He listened to what people had to say, let them air their complaints even if he didn't always fix it. People knew that what they said to him would never be repeated.

He got his food almost last with the way every rushed into line, but it didn't take long to get through, and Dominick did a good job of making sure there was enough. Praw never worried he wouldn't get anything even when he was hungry, even though he was normally last. He was lucky enough today that no one really tried to start a conversation, and he was able to get his food and go straight back to her tent.

He had gotten water himself. He drank rarely. There was no one he wanted to be that relaxed about. He was a lightweight, not that he had much chance to check that out. When others were drinking, he mixed it so that it was mostly water, but he didn't think he had to do that with her. She didn't generally drink while talking business.

He didn't say anything as she sat down, but looked up at her expectantly. She would start when she was ready. And if that didnt happen, he would push her later. But for now, let her get settled. He took a bite without looking at his plate. Chewed slow. Watched her. No need to move his eyes away.

James listened carefully, running a hand through his fluffy hair, darting a tongue over his lips. Every move was calculated, but it all came naturally. Flirting was second nature to James. Sometimes he didn't even mean to, but today he did. He was going to find a way to get vodka, no matter what it took.

He laughed a little when he talked Oriana. The sound was deep, throaty. The joke wasn't particaularly funny or unfunny, but wasn't what the laugh was about. The laugh was supposed to go straight to the crotch. He knew how most people liked that deep sound, the way his laugh filled a space and rumbled like thunder.

He took a step in to Dominick. He leaned his neck down a little, so his mouth was only centimeters away from the other man's. Their body's touched ever so slightly, as if by accident, just enough for electricity to run through them. His eyes met Dominick's and didn't leave them, looking straight into his soul.

"And what would you do with your night?" His voice wasn't quite a whisper, but it wasn't completely aloud either. His voice dripped seduction, and a tiny, wry smile played on the lips that weren't quite kissing his.

He knew he was taking a risk assuming Dominick liked men, but there were rumors. Besides, if he was wrong he did no harm. Dominick would tell him off, and he wouldn't try again. At least, not right away. James knew he had a tendency to grow on people.

He wasn't actually looking to fuck for vodka. He was hoping he could flirt enough that the fucking wasn't necessary. But if he did have to, so be it. He doubted it would be hard to please Dominick. He figured he could make quick work of the man, then get his drink. Besides, if he did a good job he could probably get vodka more than once.

Praw was at the tent, and with a nod, Amaris would greet him, and allow him in before her, though she would take her seat first. The tent was sparse, as it ought to be in these times. A desk that was on a cart when moved, along with an actual bed rather than a bed roll, were the only truly notable items. She did not decorate it with items from any home, or of any importance.

There were books in the drawers of the desk, a rare enough acquisition, and clothes within her trunk. Armor, swords – the useful things. She liked little of her personality to be revealed in these ways, where so many others kept keepsakes.

The Scions of the Storm was all Amaris needed to show who she was.

She did start to eat a bit, once she took her seat, but after a few bites in silence, she finally addressed Praw. “There was a courier that showed up after our last job in Della.” Everyone knew that. They moved right from Della to here, after all, after cleaning up a problem with a wolf pack that had become rather ferocious maneaters. It was…rather unusual, in truth.

Oriana tried to dub them “dire wolves”. They had been large, but dire? Honestly….

“It arrived from King Valorum,” his seal, his mark, that part went unsaid. It was not mentioned that he’d asked for them directly, only that there was a king’s quest, and they would answer it. The promises within, besides the promise of pay and land, were also kept from the others. They needn’t know she’d been promised peerage, and the Scions of the Storm would have an official place within the army, just yet.

“He sought us out himself to see about a problem upon the western side of the Kingdom,” Della, amusingly enough, was the Western side, “he believes it may be the Cannes are preparing an attack from that front, by first using magic to poison the land.” Whether or not it was true, was debateable. The Cannes followed a different religion, and anything different was usually maligned as demon-born or magical in nature.

There were plenty of rumors about what the Cannes did with their so-called magic. “This is more of an investigative mission to find out why the lands out West are decaying. What His Grace failed to notice was that it is also poisoning Canne lands,” a sip of water, “it may still be the Cannes if they do not care, yet I think it is something else well worth looking in to for our own gain – but the promise of a King’s ransom and a King’s debt make it all the more appealing.” She allowed a touch of a smirk on her lips, “Wouldn’t you agree?”

At least on the part of having nobility indebt, she was certain he would. Investigating something that caused land to decay likely didn’t seem so profitable, especially given they may have had a taste of what it was doing in those vicious wolves just outside of Della – and if Praw had taken notice, in the dying trees, the reeking land, and the smoky sky – all of which, even by those in Della, had been blamed on the Cannes.

~***~

‘Oh.’ There was a moment of surprise that even passed over the features on Dominick, in stark contrast to James. Their similarity rested, perhaps, in their dark hair. Otherwise, Dominick exhibited the features of the nobility where he was from – the porcelain skin, the silvery eyes, the smaller frame. It was easy for James to step forward and for his presence to be felt at every nerve. Not even the clothe could stop Dominick from registering the slight pressure where their bodies met, and as he looked up at the other, he did wonder again if he’d been mistaken in assuming it was only a joke or a real offer.

The question was certainly not one that ought to be answered out loud, in a public space such as this, and it sent a flame into Dominick’s face as he let the surprise fade into a smirk, almost amused to be caught off guard, by James of all people. He should expect such from him.

There were likely some in the camp who didn’t like the idea of relationships between those of the same gender. Those who believed, still, in the teachings of the Church. Dominick wasn’t one of those, nor had he ever been ashamed of it, which was likely why there were rumors. “You mean, besides wholly enjoy myself and the beauty with me?” His own voice lowered, both in volume and tone, as he moved one hand up, intending to place it behind James’s neck as he turned his own head so that when he lifted himself up on his toes he could actually whisper in the other’s ear.

“Perhaps find out whether said beauty prefers silk, or rope burns, and what other sensations might have them at my mercy, wax or ice, scented oils or cool lotions…,” Dominick let it trail, before almost suddenly dropping back and stepping back, “but you know what they say of Doms,” he laughed it off, knowing Dreza might hear and want to make some comment on names and meanings.

Dominick wasn’t wholly any one way or other – he just liked reactions and sensations and bringing them forth, and in most of his relationships, however short, that tended to mean he led them, though he rarely pursued. It had always been something his partners thought to comment on – that they had expected him to be less forthcoming, less involved.

Especially when he flickered as he did now, like someone shy at the approach and quick to dance away from the pursuer, as if he was only kidding. Of course, he was also aware that James was out to ‘buy’ something from him. Vodka. It’d be a ridiculously easy acquisition – really, he could have just asked – but Dominick would take what he could get.

Praw looked around her tent as he entered. It was as he expected. She didn't have many pieces that suggested family or wealth. He knew she was wealthy, there was no question there, but he also knew she was striving, constantly striving for more. She wouldn't rest, wouldn't enjoy her wealth, until she enjoyed the fruit of her prophecy. It was time to be patient, wait until she had truly completed her mission, then she could bask in her wealth and in her glory.

He watched the way her mouth changed from food to words. As if both were completely natural. And Amaris was good with her words. She could be trusted to be a leader, at least for now. Maybe the prophecy was that she was going to do great things, but that didn't guarentee that she was going to live with those great things forever. Maybe just the rest of her life.

He listened carefully thought when she began speaking. The wolves had been strange, but Praw had already decided they were just that. Strange. He had heard whispered rumors from some of the more gullible, creative types. He didn't buy them for a second. Strange wolves. But even if they were dire wolves? Well, Praw wasn't worried. He thought he could handle those just fine too. After all, they had so far.

The king wanting their help, that was interesting as well. Praw knew a bit about the king. He didn't ask just anyone for help, and Praw had an idea that he hadn't this time either. It would be dangerous to put out a general request to help. He could owe a favor to absolutely anyone. It was true that it wasn't smart to owe a favor to a band of assassins, but an enemy you knew was better than one you didn't. Praw thought the king and all his advisors knew that.

Praw knew others were worried about war. After all, people were killed during wars, weren't they? Praw thought maybe the population could afford to be thinned a bit. Besides, the chaos of war provided good business opportunities. He wanted a good war in his lifetime. He would find a way to have one if necessary.

But that didn't change the fact that it would be smart to help the king. He didn't care about the reward. Money didn't matter much when power was on the line, and if a favor from the king was on the line, so was power. Praw wanted to find a way to get closer to it all. He needed to be more involved in the leadership, in everything, even if Amaris didn't believe in bringing many people into her inner circle.

"Amaris, we know each other well now." It wasn't true. Neither of them brought others close, but neither would say it. "Surely you've noticed I have a way with my words. When this business is done, let me go to the king. I will collect our reward, and I will make it clear just how much we have done for him. He will not soon forget us. I do not ask for anything, so grant me this."

James saw the moment of surprise and knew he had won. He was really a fairly predictable man, at least in the way he talked. When he could say something so simple, something so straightforward, and still shock someone, he knew they were thinking about his words, guessing what he was going to say next. More than thinking about his words. Thinking about him. And, in this case, as in most, James thought imagining him, probably in all sorts of compromising positions.

He called him a beauty. He was interested in men then. Maybe both. James was used to being called all sorts of things, and beauty was one of them. He would have to show Dominick just how beautiful he could be. But for now it would be best to take it slow, allow Dominick more time to imagine. Whether something happened or not Dominick could have a rich imaginative life. If he could talk him off simply by discussing vodka, Dominick could remember that every time he bought vodka for him. That would probably be enough to get him plenty.

Sensation play. It didn't sound particularly dark or heavy. He would have no problem handling it if it came to that. James had dealt with a much heavier hand to get what he wanted. He found he could always deal with what happened to get what he wanted. He wasn't sure if he saw it as particularly pleasant, but he didn't think of it as unpleasant either. Who knew, maybe Dominick would even try something new with him. James craved the new.

James liked scenarios where the person in charge was clear. Dominick probably wanted to lead if he wanted to tie him up. James had no problem with that. In fact, that was what he preferred. But being up for anything meant sometimes he led as well. If that ended up being what Dominick wanted then he would do that too. He really wanted vodka.

He liked that Dominick was confident enough to wrap his arms around his neck. That meant he was interested. James let one hand trail ever so lightly over Dominick ass, like a breath of air, another accident. It was all for Dominick's pleasure rather than his own, but he thought he had done a good job in providing Dominick with what he wanted. Now he just needed to get what he wanted out of this. Which meant playing the game a little longer.

"Do you think I'd moan or swear?" he asked, letting his lips brush against Dominick's neck. "Or maybe I'd do both." It was best to let Dominick imagine what he wished. That way he could have the perfect experience. Besides, with the way he talked, James thought this wasnt the first time he imagined him. He thought he'd have to ask him sometime. After he got his vodka.

Amaris did not lower her cup, nor her attention, when Praw made his request. She had little intention of granting it. However, she did not intend to say ‘no’ outright. This was not a matter she was even going to entrust to Oriana, and the woman was practically magic when it came to funds.

No, this went above Oriana’s head.

Praw wasn’t even in her thoughts so far as people she’d send to negotiate for funds. He’d never shown an interest in such a thing before, “It is a curious request, Praw,” obviously so, “Why do you want this job?” That would tell more what he was trying to do with it.

Perhaps he was only trying to earn favor with Amaris. However, given this was negotiations with a king, she doubted it. Even he had to understand such a thing wouldn’t be given over to anyone, particularly someone who didn’t usually handle such things.

Perhaps in learning what he wanted, she could find a way to utilize it, instead. Or compromise. She never liked to lose members of the Storm, but it did happen. Usually they ended up dead, that day, or a little later. No one ever really questioned it.

This was a group of killers, after all.

~***~

With the hand that moved over his back, over his ass, Dominick hadn’t been able to step back as planned, but was kept there to allow James to ask another question, letting his imagination run with the thoughts. Moan or swear? Ideally both, but with how crass James tended to be, it only allowed for one real thought in any imaginings: “Swear,” spoken after that shiver ran through him from the touch, “though of course, both is just as nice.”

Moaning, swearing, screaming, gasping – Dominick knew why death and sex were often compared to each other, so much so that some called the pinnacle of the latter a ‘little death’. Dominick wasn’t sure which he’d experienced more of at this point.

Something, unhappily, suggested it was death. “I suppose I would not know unless I had the pleasure of finding out, or the unfortunate position of sleeping near when you were with a good partner,” as happened sometimes in the camp, discretion not everyone’s highest priority when they were able to find another, from within the group or outside it.

With the hand still around the other’s neck, though starting to slip away, he did let his fingers reach to up to play with other’s hair, as his fingertips slid over the side of his neck, dropping him away as he lowered from his tiptoes, “You must be quite desperate for that vodka, considering you could literally just buy some in town tomorrow,” or perhaps he found having someone else buy it for him to be better.

Perhaps his money went to other pursuits.

Or maybe he’d already spent all their earnings from the last job.

Dominick never cared to keep up with how others used their wealth. His personal wealth always went to more plants or poisons, dried herbs or other ingredients for his experiments and tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back