• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Tale of the Fox and the Bat

I resisted the urge to bang my head against a nearby wall in frustration when Paigi wouldn't wake up. Out of all the times to take a nap, this is the time she decides to do it? Couldn't she have decided to pass out in a few minutes when we were out of this place- and potentially in a way more dangerous area, in the middle of nowhere?

Despite my frustration- I was not mad at her. I was annoyed, tired, angry, and quite frankly scared due to everything that happened. Trying to keep a level head in this situation was simply getting harder and harder, and I was cursing my luck. But I knew this wasn't her fault, and we wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for her.

The fact that escape seemed so close yet so far was another part of it- if any passerby came by and saw the two of us, I doubted any of them would be too forgiving. Hopefully they were all distracted by the mysterious fire that I had absolutely zero part in.

I was so wrapped up in trying to figure out what to do- I did not notice the girl come up behind me. Next thing I know- I heard someone fall on the floor, and I turned around to see the poor girl on all fours, eating up the glop like a dog. I would say it was animal-like, but I don't think I had any room to talk. I felt a bit guilty, having almost just wasted the food that looked to be that valuable to another. I wish I thought that through a bit more, I would have attempted to give her the food with a little more decency.

Judging by the looks of it though- I don't think it was her main concern.

It also made me realize that I might have to eat that disgusting glop soon enough. Depending on the food that would be at wherever any of us would end up. Somehow, I doubted there would be five star cuisine just laying around everywhere. Granted, if there was- it wouldn't surprise me. That wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen today.

When the girl tried to pick up Paigi, I gave a low growl before I realized what I was doing. In truth, I was feeling protective of Paigi- and for a second, I thought she was going to try something with her. Until I realized she probably wanted me to help carry her. I wondered if that was a good idea- what if the girl ended up harming her unintentionally, or attracted attention?

I quickly realized I had little to no other choice. The alternative of going back to the cage did not sound appealing. Surprisingly.

There was a bit of guilt associated with letting a child of all things assist us in this potentially deadly mission, but at the same time- she did volunteer. And on top of that- the desperation of the situation was loosening my usual morals.

Ignoring my own nerves, I helped the other carry Paigi into the disgusting sewer. It smelled horrible and I gagged multiple times, but thankfuly managed to keep my stomach down. I don't know why, but it probably had to do with I had no food in my stomach- it is hard to throw up nothing...

Thankfully, the other's warnings and the likes helped myself from bumping into a lot of crap. Litteraly and figuratively in this case. I started to feel exhausted as the hours ticked by, but I kept on forcing myself to push through. Better to suffer now then live life in eternal damnation.

When the poor girl wanted a break, I conceded. My arms were killing me, and resting for a few minutes sounded like a great idea. Placing Paigi on the ground- away from the potentially faded sunlights, I finally sat down and was about to relax for a bit-

...What was that noise?

Looking back- I saw the biggest damn rat in existence. You. Have. Got. To. Be. F***ing. Kidding me. What the actual hell is that thing? Why does it have to be here? My eyes darting around the area more- I noticed two other figures...

Really? Really? Who did I piss off to put me through all this crap?

I would have run right then and there if it wasn't for the two other girls by me- panicking, and doing the only thing I could think of- I pointed my hand in their direction-

"Status!"

I did not sound scared at all. Totally wasn't the case- this is all fine. Everything is fine- and we won't be killed. Nothing bad could happen, me, Paigi, and the poor girl won't be eaten alive by rats or sold into slavery. Paigi will wake up, Deus ex machina our way out of this situation, and we'll all live happily ever after...

How come the only person I'm unable to convince is myself?

Idea Idea

[class=surround] border-radius:25px; border:6px solid silver; background-image:url('https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/65/6e/f0656e1ecddff7f8221d05ed2db1d33e.gif'); background-attachment:fixed; width:97%; margin:0 auto; [/class] [class=mainpic] border-radius:50%; border:4px double gold; overflow:hidden; width:18%; float:left; [/class] [class=text] border-radius:25px; text-align:left; border:5px double darkgreen; width:70%; margin-left:8%; display:inline-block; background-color:rgba(162, 240, 201, 0.75); color:blue; padding:1%; [/class] [class=title] border:3px solid darkgreen; width:35%; margin-left:27%; display:inline-block; text-align:center; background-image:url('https://image.freepik.com/free-vector/leaves-pattern-design_1250-68.jpg'); background-size:10%; color:crimson; border-radius:25px; [/class] [class=Paigi] font-size:400%; display:inline-block; [/class] [class=Stratioti] display:inline-block; font-size:400%; [/class] [class=token] display:inline-block; width:21%; [/class] [class=Phonepic] border-radius:50%; margin:0 auto; border:5px double gold; width:50%; overflow:hidden; height:210px; [/class] [class=Phonetext] border-radius:25px; border:5px double darkgreen; width:85%; margin:0 auto; background-color:rgba(162, 240, 201, 0.75); color:blue; padding:1%; [/class] [class=GM] width:80%; border:8px double grey; color:red; background-color:white; border-radius:25px; margin:0 auto; padding:1%; [/class]

• [div class=surround][div class=title][div class=Paigi]Paigi[/div] [div class=token]
    token_1-png.538939
    [/div] [div class=Stratioti]Stratioti[/div]
    [/div][div class=mainpic]
    DJbIKWWVAAAizB9.jpg
    [/div]
    [div class=text]

N/A​

alice-chibi-render-2-jpg-png.538920
    [/div]

[/div]

Tag: Psyche Psyche

Looking at the stats, I resisted the urge to groan. This was not looking good. While me and those lovely looking creatures shared the same level, they simply seemed to have better overall stats. Except in the magic department- judging by the "Null" and the look of the creatures- I doubted they were able to cast anything.

Not that it would change too much when it can probably rip myself open and bury through my intestines with its claws or something. But hey- at least I don't have to worry about getting hit by a fireball or some crap.

Whoopee.

Oh also forgot another positive- we had the same Flying stat! Glad to know that whenever I sprout wings and fly, I could potentially outrun them...

Please tell me these rats can't fly- I'd have nightmares on that for weeks. I don't think they'd be able to- judging by the lack of well...wings or something. But what if they could? There was a bunch of illogical things in this world- why not throw giant, flying, monster rats on top of that?

...Kind of sounds like something I'd find in Australia.

I probably shouldn't stare at this for too long- I don't think interacting with the equivelant of an illusion is that helpful in this whole situation. That in mind, I took it down- just in time to see the poor girl's use of light against it-

...I really need to know her name or something. "Poor girl" sounds too derogatory. Maybe I should just refer to her as Annie? Wait. That would be more insulting considering "Little Orphan Annie"- or would it make it more fitting?

Okay- I probably shouldn't give a girl that name solely because they are an orphan. It wasn't my intent- but once I thought about it I simply could not ignore it.

Peggy. She is a Peggy until I figure out something better. Why Peggy? I have no idea. I should probably "Status" her after this..

It seemed that Peggy was able to harm the beast's in some way via light-

<Notice: Status Updated. Tutorial proceeding. Please state "info" verbally, and a status element to view further information on that element.>

Where the hell does that voice coming from?! Wait- that was the thing that told me about the Statuses in the first place. Glancing over at the menu, I saw a new addition and it made me pause. Does the weakness only show up once you discover it? It wasn't there before- but do the statuses change based on the amount of information you gather from them? When I saw it was weak to light- it stated that in the synopsis. So I'd assume so?

Regardless- that was the least of my worries.

I looked down at Peggy and felt worry in my chest, and I wondered if it would be potentially possible to just distract the rats and run the hell out of here. Maybe I can start a sewage fire- and call the guards back here. Great idea.

All I knew is that I wanted a way out for all three of us. I did not want to pull a "Heroic Sacrifice" and get torn apart by rats while the other two would escape. Partly because they probably wouldn't escape with Paigi being unconscious and all, and I simply like breathing.

I looked over to Paigi- hoping that in this time period a rat didn't come over and start gnawing on her when we were focusing on all of this. I felt relieved when I saw her finally come back to the land of the living- I needed to get her up and who knows, hopefully we might be able to take care of the rats together.

Maybe I can just kindly call a "time out" to Mr. Rat and hope he can be courteous and let me check up on my friend? Sadly, judging by the elves I doubted these people had any such manners. How the hell was I supposed to-

Oh wait. Light.

Remembering mine and Paigi's first meeting, I remembered the glow stick which one would call a hand. Despite the situation, I felt fondness at the memory. While it was stupidly sentimental- this was oddly enough my most worthwhile companionship.

...And I haven't even known her for a day and we haven't communicated at all. Wow, that's... sad once I think about it. My best relationship is with a vampire I can't even talk with. Way to go Solaris. Way to go.

"Illuminate!"

A familar light appeared in my hand- which I waved in front of the rats, wanting to keep them back while I helped Paigi up. I had no idea how long this amazing idea would be effective for, but that was clearly a "later" problem. Clearly. I quickly bent down and helped her up- using one of my hands to wave it in the direction of the rats.

"Thank god your here Paigi! So a fire started and distracted the guards- totally had nothing to do with that- but they left without saying a goodbye. How rude. But we're almost out of here! We just need to fight the rats or something and-"

I simply face palmed. In my excitement I forgot about the tiny issue of her not being able to understand me.

"...You have no idea what I'm saying."

I know I was talking a lot for the situation, but I tended to do that when I was a nervous wreck. Deciding to just point out the obvious in case she didn't get it due to passing out- I simply motioned my other free hand to the rats.

I don't think it required that much of an explanation.

Idea Idea

[class=surround] border-radius:25px; border:6px solid silver; background-image:url('https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/65/6e/f0656e1ecddff7f8221d05ed2db1d33e.gif'); background-attachment:fixed; width:97%; margin:0 auto; [/class] [class=mainpic] border-radius:50%; border:4px double gold; overflow:hidden; width:18%; float:left; [/class] [class=text] border-radius:25px; text-align:left; border:5px double darkgreen; width:70%; margin-left:8%; display:inline-block; background-color:rgba(162, 240, 201, 0.75); color:blue; padding:1%; [/class] [class=title] border:3px solid darkgreen; width:35%; margin-left:27%; display:inline-block; text-align:center; background-image:url('https://image.freepik.com/free-vector/leaves-pattern-design_1250-68.jpg'); background-size:10%; color:crimson; border-radius:25px; [/class] [class=Paigi] font-size:400%; display:inline-block; [/class] [class=Stratioti] display:inline-block; font-size:400%; [/class] [class=token] display:inline-block; width:21%; [/class] [class=Phonepic] border-radius:50%; margin:0 auto; border:5px double gold; width:50%; overflow:hidden; height:210px; [/class] [class=Phonetext] border-radius:25px; border:5px double darkgreen; width:85%; margin:0 auto; background-color:rgba(162, 240, 201, 0.75); color:blue; padding:1%; [/class] [class=GM] width:80%; border:8px double grey; color:red; background-color:white; border-radius:25px; margin:0 auto; padding:1%; [/class]

• [div class=surround][div class=title][div class=Paigi]Paigi[/div] [div class=token]
    token_1-png.538939
    DJbIKWWVAAAizB9.jpg
    [/div]
    [div class=text] I blinked a couple of times, focus returning to me as my eyes searched in the darkness, my body attempted to squint away from the bit of light coming from above by nudging itself ever so slightly to the right. I felt so... tired. My muscles were barely responding, it felt like shrugging was a herculean task. Even so, at least making my head fall to one shoulder after the other was something I could still pull off to take in the scene around me. There was that hungry little girl from earlier, illuminated as if by a spotlight and armed with a shard of glass, and Solaris, armed with nothing but a faint glow on her arm that lit up part of this...tunnel we were in. While it took a moment to get there, my muscles first responded on the reflex to cover my mouth and nose, the need to puke. My ears heard scratching and squeeing and hissing, so I traced Solari's and the little girl's gazes to a trio of enormous rats. They seemed angry.

Solaris noticed that I was waking up and started speaking rather energetically to me. Was she giving me instructions, maybe trying to explain the situation? If only I could actually understand her. Attempting to assess it myself...ow that was giving me such a mingraine, it felt like getting hammered in the head, trying to think... those rats probably attacked us. Solaris had somehow managed to sneak myself and that little girl past the guards, brought us all the way through to here, the whatever it was thing the guards were watching over. Crap, why did it have to smell so fetid? Then, at some point, the rats appeared, and Solaris and the little girl had to take them on, it was probably very recent to, because the girl was wielding that tiny shard of glass and Solaris was still using the light that I presumed was how she was orienting herself through the sewers. I needed to check on the situation.

"Status." I declared, using one open eye to focus on the rats.

token_1-png.609145
    Name: Common Giant Rat Level: 2
    Species: (monster) Rat- common giant rat
    Titles: N/A
    Stats:

Health: Higher
    Strength: Higher
    Spell Power: Null
    Mana Vein: Null
    Speed: Higher/Higher/Same
    Natural Armor: Higher

Communication: N/A;

Equipment: N/A

Known Statuses: N/A;

It seemed this monster at least wasn't stronger than us, at least not in terms of level. What was up with everyone seeming to have better stats than either me or Solaris? Well, I suppose it did make sense, we did just start out. Nonetheless, what an unfair world. Here we were weaker and left all alone to fend for ourselves without even having a bit of knowledge about this place. Newcomers in our former world at least had a mother to watch over them, often a father, sometimes even siblings- And with that thought I was reminded that that wasn't always the case there either.

"Status." With the new declaration, I looked at my status. There had to be something I could do, right? Solaris was using illuminiate, but seeing better probably wouldn't help. I hadn't the faintest idea what "innocence" was, even if it was supposedly my cheat skill. Conjure nourishment...the grey gue probably wouldn't be able to bribe the rats in the same way it had the girl. A little sad, in a way. But I would have time to be sad some other time, hopefully, maybe. Firebolt was the most promising answer, but I wasn't sure if I even had the strength for it, nor what kind of place this was, it seemed like stone, but what if there was actually gunpowder around here or something? Could I take that risk? No, maybe I had to, experimenting with a different skill was also a risk after all. The rats began shaking their heads as if snapping from the shock of being bathed in that light, but not willing to give up on newly found prey. The two rats from behind lept into the sewer waters, and hit their tails extremely hard into those, causing a small wave of very dirty water to drop down from above them. The bigger rat took the cue and began rushing towards Solaris, screeching like a lion would roar, baring its teeth like a lion would bare his fangs. AAAAAH, dammit! I needed to act fast!

"Life drain!" I declared to use that skill. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it sounded like it would, and if I was correct on what "drain" meant, I might even recover enough to make a bit of a smarter decisio next time. For now I was in a hurry, and risks were unavoidable. Not that I hated taking them any less because of it.

[/div]

[/div]

For once, something good happened. Paigi seemed relatively unharmed. Keyword, relatively. I doubted myself, Paigi, or Peggy was in an exceptional state. But hey, we aren't dead- and Paigi is awake- and seems to be functioning. No permanent damage. Probably? I have no medical degree, but other then looking on the weaker side, she seemed normal.

Another positive, my handy-dandy night light didn't seem to run out yet-

Wait.

...I'm an idiot.

Why did I wait till now to use this?! I could have used this skill while going through this place, and maybe avoided some of the multiple collisions or not rely on Peggy feeding me directions. We would've been able to avoid maneuvering in complete darkness...

Maybe I should cut myself some slack. After-all, it was a long day- and there was realistically too many things for me to recall accurately. Something was bound to slip my mind sooner or later, causing some sort of issue.

But regardless, I ignored that part. It frustrated me that I was too moronic to ignore the obvious implication of my skill before this.

Speaking of application of skills- what in the world am I supposed to do against this thing? Fireball was too... Well, I already used it twice and look where that got me. I barely singed a horse's coat and I committed arson. Good for me. Illuminate seemed usefulish- it distracted them, but did no damage. Illusion seemed even more useless. I doubted my "Conjure Nourishment" plan would work on these beasts like it did with badnana boy.

If he was here- we wouldn't be in this situation. We could have just sneaked past them with the master of stealth by our side.

Stealth and Sneak seemed just as useless considering how the group was looking right at us. Small Blade Proficiency would be nice if I...didn't have to get up close to the rat. I regret my lack of Natural Armor. Also- I kind of need a blade, which I previously had to discard due to having to carry Paigi and having no actual way of keeping it on myself.

Hypnosis? I doubted that would work. I had no idea how it even works, but would I need to look them in the eyes? Wouldn't they have to understand me first? It was too... uncertain of an idea to actually risk and put into play.

What is there to use-

Spirit Fire.

The name sounded wonderful! It was probably a powerful fighting ability, that could hopefully damage the rats. Then we can all get out of here- and hopefully get back to our own world- although, I highly doubted the latter. Something dreadful was telling me... we can't go back.

That's a can of worms to open at another time though.

When the rats finally charged at me- a few... colorful words came from my mouth. For once, I was thankful Peggy and Paigi couldn't understand me. Although with my luck those would be the only words they would understand.

I was to preoccupied with totally not being scared to realize what Paigi was doing.

"Spirit Fire!"

Flames flickered in my hands and... tail? I.. forgot I had that extra appendage if I'm being truthful. Why is there fire on it?! Why am I not burning?! Why are my hands not burning- why do I not feel pain from my tail being lit on fire?

Focus Solaris. Not the time to be having an existential crisis.

Not knowing what else to do- I sent the flames directly towards the rats, hoping for the best.

Idea Idea

token_1-png.538939
    DJbIKWWVAAAizB9.jpg
    [/div]
    [div class=text] Like a mirage, a vague semi-transparent image of my fingers appear to move out of them, leaving behind an extended form of itself, as if my very soul was my being pulled out of my hand as I used my ability. As it wrapped around my hand, I witnessed it attaining a light-green fluorescent hue, then suddenly it extended in a long beam made from a quadrule self-wrapped spiral of a weak glow. When beam reached the rat's neck, it was like a small ethereal hurricane, with no force and no sound, other than the angered squeals of the creature. My breathing began to calm, and my muscles felt less sore. Whether by the ability's doing or the fear of those pupil-less eyes that'd locked onto me (probably a combination of both), I was able to start pulling myself up with all the strength my legs could muster, though I had to drag my back on the wall behind me and wouldn't be surprised to have made some tears in that dress I woke up in. Just remembering the fact I was wearing a dress like that made me recall what a crazy day his had been. The feeling of the silk on my back, the sight of those enormous rats and the heavy breathing of the little girl next to me, not to mention the girl with fox appendages preparing to do something in front of me, were all proof those memories were no dream. Escaping a jail cell and running through marching troops of inhuman and human slaves was no dream. The uphill medievalesque city was no dream. Being captured by the stealthiest person alive and the most friendly mage ever, after they so gracefully rescued us from an overgrown horse was no dream. Waking up as a vampire next to a kitsune I couldn't speak with was no dream..

Me dying was no dream.

The rats cowered and hissed at what was about to happen, seeing Solaris suddenly turn ablaze. It wasn't as though they were unable to deal with flames, but there was something pure yet unerving about them, and in that amount of fire, was the fox girl trying to commit suicide, resorting to such tactics in order to allow her companions to escape? She did seem quite kind to me. But it was a little too soon. Perhaps the ever growing settling of our situation was affecting her as well. No doubt her circumstances were not that different from mine.

Without a thought all of the rats lept into the water as Solaris hurled the flames in their direction, one the rats pushing down the smallest one as if to drown it while they themselves also sank into the water, but the bigger one grabbed that one from underneath and threw them over themselves and in the way of the fire. The smallest rat's eyes widened as it screeched from the flames that etched onto its body, burning...without a shred of pain or damage. The creature plopped onto the floor, rolling across it before hitting the wall. There wasn't even smoke or a smell, nothing. Honestly the impact from the fall and hitting the wall hurt it more than the fire did. The rats stood still, just looking around and sniffing themselves, trying to wrap their heads around the confusing results of Solari's attack.

To be perfectly honest, me and the little girl (well, at this point we were both little girls, at least if the body was the metric to judge it by) were just as confused. Was this intentional? Or was it a mistake? The fire seemed pretty serious, until the last second. Oh, right it was probably a distraction! Yes, that had to be it! The fox girl wouldn't do something so useless...probably. Should we run then? Solaris herself didn't seem to be running yet. The remaining rats began cautiously emerging from the water. The bigger one snarled at the one that it had thrown as a meat shield to protect itself from Solari's ...unnusual attack. Hearing, that rat in turn began to turn around itself and growled at the betrayer. There was a moment of stillness, two rats simply staring each other down, before the bigger one turned its head and appeared to scoff, placing its paws on the edge of the river of waste to pull itself out.

At that moment, the smallest rat pounced on the largest.

[/div]

[/div]

When the fire leapt at the rats, I had to admit- I was expecting them to go down in some sort of blazing glory, while trumpets played in the background announcing my triumphant victory. It would be perfect I tell you- the rats would die, I would be some sort of overpowered savior, and we can whisk ourselves off to freedom!

Why did the whole universe seem to be screaming "Screw you!"?

The initial reaction of the rats is what I was expecting, them screaming in terror or fear. I had no clue- I couldn't understand the humans, or well, humanoids. How would I speak rat? If I could speak rat, I would drown myself right now. How useless of a power would that be? I can't even speak to my companion, but I can understand some murderous monsters. What would they even say? "Ahhh! Stop burning me alive?"

...That was actually pretty morbid.

I watched with morbid fascination as one of them sacrificed the other. What the hell would that accomplish anyways? Was the bigger rat hoping to sacrifice the youngest born to the god of a being they were facing against? I know. A level two kitsune- terrifying. While the other two were drowning, I was half expecting the other rat to burn in flames and die-

What?

Why the hell is nothing happening? Why isn't it dead or injured? The rat seemed more confused if anything. Why didn't the flames do some sort of damage? Why is it not squealing in pain? I'd never thought I'd see the day where I was hoping to burn a rat alive, but here we are.

...It took me a moment to realize the Spirit Fire was useless. What sort of asshole made that attack?! Really, they give it a cool name, give it an amazing look, but it does jack shit?! What was it,"Kick the Dead Horse That is now my Self Confidence Day"?

I felt the familiar claws of fear grasp at my mind- we are going to die. I'm going to be the cause of Peggy and Paigi's death since I couldn't do squat to kill the monsters. The rats are going to pounce on us, claw our eyes out and eat our corpse. We got this far for absolutely no reason, just for me to screw up at the last minute and have absolutely no solution for this impossible equation.

Despite the situation I felt bitterness rise up in my chest.

How come I get this crappy luck? First- I die due to some bullshit politics, then I wake up in some kind of fantasy world with my fellow bullet buddy. Just to discover that the whole world wants to destroy us, with monsters on one side, and people with a superiority complex on the others. We get captured, get launched into a beautiful place- well, it would be without the slavery and the elves that made me consider homicide.

Why can't I get over the elves? They were just so extra- this was not the time to be lamenting about this.

But no. The best part? We manage to escape after I commit arson. Whoopee. We get far into the cave with an alive Paigi, and finally- we're almost able to defeat three monsters! Who knew- maybe after this I would be able to start anew with Peggy and Paigi. Well- if they wanted to at least.

I wasn't too sure how they felt about adventuring with some fox-chick who had pyromaniac tendencies. But what other options were there? Venture alone and get killed? I think there is more strength in numbers- and they both seemed to tolerate me.

Granted, I was Paigi's only option.

Chosen by default! Woohoo!

I seemed to regain control of my limbs, that was paralyzed in something that was totally not fear, and saw the rats fighting each other all of the sudden. I paused momentarily, and snapped out of it. I couldn't help but chastise myself for being idiotic.

What the hell did fear ever do anyways? Why was I just standing there in terror? Fear was a useless emotion. Well- somewhat. It was useful for sensing danger and caution, but in a circumstance like this? It was pointless. All it did was cause issues. If the rats weren't fighting and were currently focused on us, they would pounce on the frozen idiot and get the sweet taste of human flesh-

Would I taste like human or a fox? Both? Focus!

I found myself looking at Paigi and Peggy- whose name I still don't actually knew. I thought near-death experiences were supposed to bring people together? How does that work if I don't even know her name? Regardless, the surprise was obvious to me.

In that moment- I decided on something. I... was not going to make this situation any worse by furthering any panic. For all intents and purposes, I meant to do that. The situation is under control. Everything is fine- we can run now! Besides, someone had to keep spirits up. What would freaking everybody out and implying the only reason we're alive is due to pure luck do? Absolutely nothing.

I meant to do all of that clearly.

I flashed the two a slight smirk, that was confident to everyone but myself as the rats fought. I know we couldn't talk, but I wanted to convey the message that... everything would be okay. Besides, these two needed guidance- and I was an adult!

...I ignored the part of myself that seemed to chime in that I was mentally only sixteen, and in a... younger body? I had no idea how old I was. From the mirror- I gauged nine to twelve? Screw it. I'm just going to go with ten.

...Am I really a ten year old on top of all this crap? Dammit! Seriously!? Why did I not realize the implications of this earlier?! Probably the whole "scared for my life" ordeal, but still! I was about to take driving lessons too-

On the bright side- it doesn't seem like they have cars here. So... wouldn't have to worry about getting a license to get around? And I don't have to worry about memorizing all the road signs either. Yay. Today is getting better and better!

But for the love of god- ten? Who knows- maybe if I'm lucky I am completely wrong, and in reality am just a... really, really short adult. Yes, that's the case. Clearly. Nothing else! I am not a child now- I am not a defenseless child!

Ignoring my own crisis, I made a "Follow me" motion with my hand- gently grabbing Paigi's hand in one, and Peggy's in the other. Without another thought, I started leading the other two out of there with me- not being slow with it either.

Wait.

I made sure to say
"Illuminate" as softly as possible, not wanting our second escape to be stopped short by walking into a wall by accident. How anti-climatic would that be?

Idea Idea

Last edited:

token_1-png.538939
    DJbIKWWVAAAizB9.jpg
    [/div]
    [div class=text] Seeing how the rats attacked one another, biting and screeching like authentic beasts of nightmare, truly gave a new meaning to the phrase hunger games in my head. Whether to flee or to fight, this seemed like it would be the perfect timing for us three to make our move: If we attacked now, we could take the weakned rats by surprise, who knew, maybe even have a chance to defeat them. On the other hand, escaping the rats wouldn't leave us prone to a potential enemy from the shadows, and they wouldn't give immediate chase. It was the safest option, so I was glad that Solaris seemed to take it before I had to move myself. The fox girl gestured for me and the little girl to follow her while the enormous rats continued their bout.

Just as Solari's position was starting to become hard to track, she decided to use her skill to light the way ahead. It would appear she realized she didn't have to declare her skills, but could instead simply whisper or mutter them. For us escapees, this would no doubt be invaluable. Wait, what was I saying? As if I knew...but somehow, I starting to ever so slowly become used to the craziness around us. The little girl coming with us also seemed to start recovering from her shock with the rats, looking around the passages and calling out to Solaris in words that were incomprehensible to me, then looking over her shoulder each and every time and more, as the rats were left behind but could start chasing us at any moment. In fact, there could be more! Just the thought sent shivers down my body. How was Solaris so calm about this? Maybe it was just the adrenaline? And yet she was being like a true leader, almost as if it was in her nature to command. When she followed me earlier, we only got into more messes, and we collapsed...I wonder what would have happened if we had been separated from the beginning?

Screee, crrriik rreee! A loud screech emanated behind us, followed by another higher pitched one. The crawling sound of those paws like huge talons scratching against the floor as the rats lept towards us once turn at a time. They weren't immediately behind us though. How could they even tolerate this insufferable smell, and still track us through it! I myself wasn't only tired, my back was bent from how much my body was reflexively attempting to expel what little contents my stomach might have. ARRIIIK riek crrikk! As the sounds grew closer, and louder, and more numerous, the little girl began giving me little shoves from which stomach acid was occasionally poured out of my mouth, and she began not just speaking to Solaris, but also gesturing directions at her and pratically shouting whatever she was trying to say, her eyes widened entirely and her body trembling and almost tripping from the bundle of multitasking she was making out of herself.

We passed by rotting bones and boxes with papers and even a bit of jewelry. We passed by a tunnel which had a small light coming the darkness ahead, but the little girl insisted with her pushing that we go elsewhere. More rats appeared and jumped us, but with my 'Illuminate' skill I was able to catch them by surprise enough for us to continue making an escape. Other sounds were now mixing in our ears. Clashing metal, screams, tumbling man and horses, or monsters resembling those for all I knew. The noise was muffled somewhat by the walls of the sewers, but this became less so little by little.

Suddenly, I felt something cutting me on the back. I could hear the sound of dress ripping by the shoulder, even though it was barely a scratch, now my shoulder had a small gap in it pouring out blood. One of my eyes closed, wincing from the pain, as my hands took to try covering the wound. It should recover soon, and either way I couldn't afford to stop running. Despite my motivation, I felt something extremely heavy pushing me down and throwing me ahead. I heard another screech behind me, and hurried to getting back up as fast as I could, barely dodging another falling rat, and turned the corner, seeing the tunnel for the first time illuminated. I stumbled then and rolled foward into the light, while the rats jusy stayed back and screeched behind us, not daring to enter the brightened area. What was the source of that light? Well, it was no less than the exit of the sewers, and the city, to our left.

"We're....This is... We have a chance!" I proclaimed! Throwing my arms up in joy and dropping on the floor. Fortunately I didn't pass out this time, but the exhaustion was unbearable. I didn't even bother cleaning out those tiny tears in my eyes.

Suddenly, a wave of heat and light engulfed us, going so far as to push back the metallic bars of the sewage exit with the force. I was already on the ground, so other than my hair smelling a little ashen, and the tears now mixing with sweat from the heat, I was mostly unnafected. Nonetheless, the event got me to immediately jump to my feet, witnessing how the battlefield was like parted waters, soldiers on either side of a black crater of burnt grass and corpses with little bits still ablaze here and there. The soldiers were looking at one another with looks of confusion, those that didn't get trapped in the enemy side and were still forced to spar that is. Still, even if the scene was horrifying, it wasn't all that unfamiliar to me: An explosion had taken place. The soldiers were not used to it. This was our perfect chance to escape. Once again, I took Solaris arm, and gestured ahead, to the forest on the other side of the crater from where we were standing.

From there, it was a mad sprint. The rats weren't giving us chase anymore because of the light, and our sudden appearance did not help the soldier's confusion at all. Nonetheless, we had to run, and run faster and faster, especially when some of them recovered, began to panic and attempt to attack us, be it with charges or arrows, some of which hit the charging warriors.

We mixed with the trees. Me, Solaris...and not the little girl that had accompanied us through the sewers.

[/div]

[/div]

My grip on their hands were tight, but I felt a lack of actual strength behind it. My hands were clenched around there's, partly to try to comfort- but well, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also out of stress. My eyes darted from side to side at the screeching noise, and I looked back at my two companions, making sure a rat-mutant didn't lead to anyone's untimely demise.

...I just realized how pathetic of a second death it would be. I mean really, my first one had some finesse to it- I need to keep my standards up! "Death by Rats" seemed so lackluster in comparison. Maybe if I decided to go out with some self-sacrificial duty...

Back on topic. My two companions looked like they've seen better days. Although, same could be said for me I suppose. Paigi looked like she was about to throw up- can she at this point? I think I saw her do it a few times earlier. I tried to shove down the fear I felt, wondering how much longer she could go on like this. Anger- definitely not anger or self loathing did not show up, since I was completely useful in this situation.

Well- as useful as Peggy's warning. I get it, there are rats coming. What do you want me to do besides move forwards? Use my amazing spirit fire? I can only do so much carrying with my broken skills. It felt a lot easier to focus on that rather then the tell-tale signs of undernourishment, the totally not obvious francticness of her tone, and the weight of guilt that seems to pool into my stomach-

Yup. Focusing on her reminder of the rats seems like a better idea.

I lead the way through the tunnels, trying desperately to hold onto my new-found confidence and save my rag-tag group of an orphan, a vampire, and a kitsune. This sounds like a set-up for a crappy joke, that I might have found humorous in any other sort of situation-

For a second, I felt my mind blank-out at the mention of "orphan". Surprise, shame, and... sadness went through my mind. How could I not have thought of literally anyone besides myself? I wish the reality of the situation hit me at a better time as I wondered how my parents, and dare I say friends- maybe acquaintances- reacted to my death. Did they get the news? How much time has passed? Was there a funeral going on that I am blissfully unaware about?

How many people actually shed a tear? Who showed up? Who- Am I forgotten?

It felt so... odd to legitimately think about your death and how it may impact others. While I'm sure other people considered it a few times, it was hard to comprehend that I just... don't exist there anymore. While I freely admit that my relationship with my parents are far from perfect, I do love them- and there was a lot of good that almost outweighed the bad.

There would be no ready-made meals when I managed to drag myself out of bed. No more press-conferences that were practically every other day. No more feelings of safety- who am I kidding with that one. The feeling of safety does nothing- and for once, I can't chalk that up to myself being dismissive. I literally died to come here.

Is it still paranoia if people are actually out to get you? Psh, what am I saying? Me? Paranoid? Never!

...Does it make me a horrible person since I am somewhat glad to be here? I didn't want to come here, but now that I actually am the feeling of longing is gradually replaced by excitement. Well, excitement mixed with fear, disbelief, questioning of sanity and morals- but hey, the excitement still exists!

I snapped back to reality at the light that caught the corner of my eye, and I swiveled my head just in time to see Paigi ward off a rat. Do these creatures hate light that much? Are they... that dim to not realize it can't hurt them? If this is all it took to deal with them, I'm half surprised natural selection didn't kill them off by now.

Then again, these things probably bred like rabbits.

On the bright side, noise that wasn't the sound of rats screeching started to fill my ears. On the down side, it sounded like people were dying instead. Whoopee. Wonder what it is this time? Maybe the bandanna man came back to reinstate his reign of terror? Maybe a mystical dragon from outer space came down and started wreaking havok?

...Why does that sound somewhat plausible at this point?

I was so focussed on the thought of freedom, I hardly missed the rat that jumped from the ceiling, ready to claw my face off. Sadly, Paigi wasn't as lucky as when I came to, I saw blood starting to soak her shirt. It did amaze me how she managed to run despite all of this, and I sprinted after Paigi.

The light! I see the light!

I poked my head out, just enough to get a view, and I had to admit- the place was beautiful. The sky was a lovely blue, with a lack of sewer stench to it. There was fresh grass on the floor, and a lack of any man-eating rats. It was a paradise!

If one ignored the carnage going on that is. Why is it so cold all of the sudden? Why are my hands shaking? Come on Sol, tear your eyes away from the... from the corpses that are lying on the ground. Don't focus on the-

On the... small guy surrounded by a group of warriors. Huh, what is he doing? What is that... triangle? Wait, what is he doing-

I barely had enough time to cover my eyes as the blast threw me to the floor, but not enough to stop my skull from slamming into the surface. Black spots danced in my vision, and I hoped that wetness I felt behind my head was water. It hurt, I didn't want to get up... Why can't I just lay on this very comfy floor? Just... close my eyes for a few minutes...

What's the worst that could happen?

Before I could totally not give up, the scent of... something burning filled my nostrils, and I shot up, trying to ignore the feeling of vertigo. I wanted to lie back down, and ignore the... images that won't haunt me for the rest of my short life, but Paigi got me out of it by grabbing me.

...How many times has she saved me now? I lost count.

I ran by her side, trying to keep up despite my blurring vision and pounding head. I glanced back, and grit my teeth as I saw them start to come to and attack. Really? Don't they have anything better to do? Can't they go back to brutally slaughtering each other, and just let the two damn children run away? Why not investigate the suicide bomber instead? Why are they attacking litteraly, two defenseless kids instead of doing anything else, weren't they in the middle of a war?

...Is it wrong I still hate those elves more?

Did an archer really just strike down a warrior? How shit do you have to be at aiming to-

I continued running, half being dragged along by Paigi. For a second, I felt a sharp pain hit my shoulder, but I ignored it. Other things to focus on. Like not becoming a slave- but I think that's the best case scenario if we are caught. It's either being a slave or murdered-

...If that was the case, is being a slave really the better option?

I continued running till my legs were sore, and when we stopped- I almost blacked out, and fell on the grass. Once the adrenaline started to recede, I realized just how much my shoulder ached- no, ache was a... different feeling. It felt like a stabbing pain-

News flash. The archers weren't completely as incompetent as the elves social skills. Considering an arrow was lodged into my shoulder-

An arrow was in my shoulder.

WhatthehelldoIdoohmygodtakeitouttakeitout-

Deep breaths Sol. Deep breaths. Don't freak Paigi and Peggy out-

Where is Peggy? Where is she- didn't I grab her hand when we were heading out? Wait, did she follow us? I don't see her anywhere. Where did she go? Ignoring the pounding headache, and well, arrow, I sprung up.

Where is she? I need to find her. I can't fail now! We got so far- I...

I didn't even know her name. We dragged a little girl into this mess, she took us to the sewer, saved our lives, and I don't even know her name. For the first time, I made no effort to hide the francticness on my face as I looked around the area like a mad-woman.

Or mad-fox? Fox-girl?

What's that noise? More... foot-steps? Great. They found us! Absolutely lovely. They found us, and Peggy is nowhere to be found. Is she dead? Can the footsteps stop getting closer? Can't this world wait a single moment? I need to find-

The footsteps soon were accomapnied by voices, but I realized something. All of this would be for naught if me and Paigi end up dying. Do we... stay and look for Peggy, end up getting slaughtered, and waste our new chance?

...After enough hesitation, I grabbed Paigi's hand, and started to drag her along - again - as I picked a direction that was not the battleground, and ran. The footsteps picked up, and they started getting closer and closer-

And of course, since luck was on my side all day, I managed to trip on one of the bushes, sending myself and Paigi sprawling towards the floor. I let out a hissing nois as I felt the arrow deepen, but I tried- and failed- to push it to the back of my mind. My face was pressed flat against the floor from my own clumsiness.

My vision blacked out for a minute, and I heard new voices speak in languages I didn't recognize.

Regardless, I wobbily stood up in front of Paigi, and did something I never thought I'd do before. I bared my teeth, almost like an animal and gave a warning growl. Although, my actions lagged behind my sight as I saw two people loom over me and Paigi, the knight-looking one holding a sword pointed in our direction.
1573295557533.png

1573295126710.png

I think I was a sight to see. A half dead fox-girl, with an arrow stuck in her shoulder, trying to protect a half dead vampire. Against two... stronger-looking warriors. I tried to back up, but my legs were shaking too much and I ended up falling to the ground, again- but this time having the grace to land on my bottom.

Biting back a cry, I tried to find my voice, but found it lacking. What was there to do? Barter? Beg? Threaten? The female nudged her companion, and said something I could not recognize. He did not lower the weapon, thankfully since I would have destroyed both of them in a one sided battle. He looked to the two of us, almost as if deciding who to acknowledge.

In his defense, if I had to pick between a feral looking fox-child, and an adorable vampire- I probably would have picked the vampire too.

He started speaking to- wait, speaking? How the hell could he speak vampire? Well, I assumed he was at least- it sounded almost like Paigi's. Was he a fellow vampire? Actually, that would be stupid if one had to be a vampire to understand the language- I doubt that fat little man from earlier had vampire blood in him. Maybe a dwarf's?

...Not the time Sol. Not the time.

The female looked exasperated, and raised her voice towards the other. What was going on? Why was I being left out of this- what were they saying to Paigi? The girl knelt down, and another growl left my throat.

What in the world is wrong with me today? Actually. That's a very loaded question- but that grabbed the attention of the guy.
"Be quiet Foxy- can't you tell we are trying to help you two?"

Help? Wait, what? He can understand me- he can speak to me?

"You can understand me- and help? That sword doesn't look very safe- and we were doing just fine before you came along! I- we need to turn back, you guys side-tracked us from finding our friend-"

"Is that why you were in the middle of a battlefield? Sorry kid. If she isn't with you right now, I reckon she got shot down or blown to bits by that dwarf idiot."

"Wh-what? That isn't true- we need to go back then-!" A sword poked at my chest. "Crazy or suicidal? That place is a death trap Foxy, you aren't going over there."

"What's going to stop me?" A chuckle came from his lips as that weapon pressed downward. Not enough to cause pain, but a clear warning. "What- aren't you supposed to be a savior? You seem to be pretty great at it-"

Now, I know it probably wasn't a smart idea to antagonize the guy that would... probably be able to deal with a half-dead child. But well, I always did have a problem with my mouth running when I was... totally not petrified. Nor guilt-ridden. What is guilt anyways? Always heard legends of that and a thing called "De-Nile"- wasn't it a place in Egypt? But between that, and the pounding headache, and sharp pain in my shoulder- my filter was damaged.

"So, I am going to have to very... politely decline your help-"

Besides, these people didn't seem too friendly- they... the other humans wanted to enslave and kill us. I'd be stupid to trust these two- and we had to find Peggy! I can't leave Paigi here, since well, what are there intents? Why exactly would these two people want to help runaway slaves? Did they have an agenda? Of course they did.

Who didn't?

I was just about to get up, maybe contemplate if it was possible to run out of here, but his next words stopped me cold.

"I never said it was optional."

What the berserker was saying: "What are you doing this far out of city bounds? You two look too weak to be in battle. Speak truthfully, or else I will cut you down!" "Be quiet imbessile! You're scaring la petite enfant!" The druid would kneel down, and offer her hand to Paigi to assist her in getting up. "Bonjour! My name is Fleur Bellefieulle, and ze sour looking one iz Arzur! Do not fear- we bring no harm to toi."

While her words were understandable, she somehow managed to have a thick, French accent.

"Letz go, mon petit vampire, we muzt save you and ze little... renarde from thiz dangerouz plaze! Please mon cher, come with uz- we can heal toi. You and ze petit fox are damaged. We can help if neither of toi decide to fight us, hm? And surely, it would be more zuitable if something could protect you from ze scary monsteurs, non? Zhey are very plentiful here cherie! You don't vant to go back zhere, zhe army vill have your head!"

Idea Idea

token_1-png.538939
    DJbIKWWVAAAizB9.jpg
    [/div]
    [div class=text] We rushed through the bushes, sprinting for our lives. It truly felt as though we were trying to escape the grasp of the grim reaper, with those sounds of metal clashing metal being like ghastly screeches, the stench of dead man, woman and their blood coming together to never again be told it belonged to either. We kept running even after half-tumbles against bushes, the impact of trees and loose branches hitting my arms and legs, tiny cuts running across my face, the arrow lodged on Solari's back- wait- and arrow on her back?!

"SOLARIS!" I yelled with a panicked look, my eyes now fixated on the ornate stick that seemed to ermerge from my new...friend's (?) ribs like an oversized splinter. In fact, my gaze was so fixated upon it that I barely managed to react when she suddenly stopped and I slammed right into a tree (damn you inertia!). My body suddenly felt much heavier, as if my wrists and lower legs were being pulled to the ground with magnets, as it believed it was finally time to take a breather, but nope! Instead the kitsune grabbed that wrist of mine just as I was about to warn her about the arrow on her back, and unbothered by the magnetic force just pulled me along like I had been pulling her along, only for us to stumble and plant face first past the bush.

Naturally, my first thoughts before looking up were me questioning why I wanted to do something so stupid as warn her about the arrow on her back. My first thoughts AFTER looking up were <we're dead, aren't we?>.

To my surprise, we weren't stabbed, maimed, quartered, skinned, not even manacled, chained or caged. A sword was pointed at us, more precisely Solaris, who was trying to threaten these people with her growls. Honestly I doubted that a fully armored person, and another with about the amount of clothing one might normally expected of a woman in a fantasy land like this one, would be frightened by the tiny, beaten-up foxgirl, but nonetheless I couldn't smell but smile weakly with appreciation. It might backfire, get us both killed, but she was there for us, trying to keep us safe. All three of us, myself included.

Then the armored man spoke, followed by the woman that accompanied him, who was trying to...protect us? That wasn't just incredulity, it was legitimately difficult to understand what she was saying with that thick-as-hell accent, but as an international student, err, former international student, I had an edge in picking up weird accents. Nonetheless, I still blinked a couple of times in silence, otherwise completely still, all my brain power being used to process what he said, then what she said, and the fact that they seemed to not mean us harm.

Truly a first today. Other than Solaris... hopefully other than Solaris. Speaking of whom, now she had the sword pointed at her, while the french girl bent down next to me, and reached out a hand. I had more important things to worry about now than standing though.

"Please stop! I, we are grateful for your help, please forgive her!" How much should I tell them? I had no ideas how the laws were in this place, but judging by the army of slaves marching down a city, I couldn't imagine it was particularly 'illegal' in this place. We escaped potential slavery, but what if they thought this was a breach in itsefl? No, stop, if I hesitated too much they would think we wanted to deceive them (wouldn't not too far off the mark, to be honest) and we'd be dead. Plus, by the french woman's words, it appeared as if they intended on helping us. I took a hand to my chest and spoke. "M-my name is Paigi! We got lost and ended up caught up in this uh...conflict? By accident. We just wanted to escape! We're not very strong so-"

Was that ok to tell them? No, wait, that much was clear to see. Even that guy had said it. Then, a sudden realization hit me like thunder, and I stood, looking frantically around me to every side of the forest.

"Monsters?! There are more monsters here? Like that horse or those enormous rats?" I woke up with the rats already there earlier, I wonder how terrifying they must have been when they first appeared... and to think this forest was crawling with them! Part of me was more and more convinced we had been sent to this place just to die again. I attempted to tug on the female human's clothes, lips pulled up with agony and my eyes swirling with despair. "Please you have to help us! We don't wanna die, I don't wanna die! Can you please keep us safe? Please!"

[/div]

[/div]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back