• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Taken

Miriam looked around. "Hey there's jewels on this one! Is that a sign of wealth?" She asked, holding up a pair with little beads on the back pockets. "I like it. I hope it doesn't make people look at my bottom though." She frowned.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sylvie laughed, "No, the jewels aren't real. It isn't a sign of wealth, it's a sign of fashion." Sylvie chuckled, sure that Miriam wouldn't know what fashion meant, then again, back in England during Miriam's time, wealthy woman definitely engaged in trends and fashion, so maybe she would. Sylvie looked a new pair of jean shorts with the red stripes on the side and white and blue stars on the opposite pocket. Sylvie smiled, "Ooo." she said as she held it up to her waist, "Festive." Hearing Miriam's last question, she answered as she hung the size 1 jeans back up, "These clothes are made to fit to your skin. I cannot guarantee people won't look. If you're bottom looks nice in those jeans, people may look. Although, you can't live your life based off of what response you want or don't want from others." Sylvie found a blank tank top with galaxy like colors splashed on it, "Definitely." she said as she picked it up, "5 dollars. Yes."

Miriam frowned. "We were taught to cover ourselves so men wouldn't try to hurt us. Is that not how women are now?" She asked. "That sounds...freeing. I want these." She grabbed the jeans and a few more pairs, one with big rips down the legs. "I'm not sure why one would buy ripped pants but I like how they look. Oooh..." She wandered to where a V neck blouse with flowers on it was. It was black with clusters of gardenias patterned on it. "I like this." She grabbed it as well. She saw a sign for skinny jeans. "What are skinny jeans? Am I skinny enough for them? Is that a requirement?" She asked, holding up a pair.

"There are some woman with thought back asswards idea." Sylvie said, "But the way I see it, and many other people feminist or not see it, is that a woman shouldn't have to monitor her dress and behavior simply because a man can't control his thoughts. Men are not animals, they're people, too, and if they act on primal behavior it is their decision, their fault, and they are held accountable and punished, not the woman. Men can dress freely without fear and so should we." Sylvie went on her little speech as she followed Miriam through the clothes racks. She giggled at Miriam's confusion of skinny jeans, "No... not because you're skinny... but because the jeans are skinny. They're skin tight. I am not a fan of them, I think they're a little restrictive, but they look nice." Sylvie said.

Miriam shrugged and put a pair in the cart to try on. "Can't hurt to try it on right? So what are men like now? Do they still hold open doors? Are they gentlemen or has that changed too? Also, what is feminism? Obviously it's a female thing but what exactly does it entail?" She asked, perusing a few sundresses and selecting one. She looked at the shorts. "Perhaps I could try a pair..." She selected three of varying length to see what she would be comfortable in. She also selected a few t shirts of bright colors and patterns, mainly V neck.

Sylvie looked overwhelmed by all of the questions she was getting as she followed Miriam around and let her have her little rant. It really was amazing how excited Miriam was about everything, how accepting. Her time must have truly been awful for her to be so ready to leave it behind, 'I thought life in the new world was sought after by so many British citizens.' Sylvie thought as she began to answer, "The good ones do yes." she listened to the next question, "Feminism is a movement for equal rights and treatment of women in society. So the right to own property, voting rights, right to make decisions about their own bodies, right to be sexual crusaders, right to be equal pay in the work place. Things like that. No discrimination basically." She smiled at the shorts Miriam held up, "Sure, go ahead and try it all on. Dressing room's over here. Oh and you'll need a bathing suit. We will be going swimming at some point. I'll grab one for you." Sylvie figured it was best to get Miriam a one piece.

Miriam nodded in agreement. "I want to be a feminist. What do I have to do?" She asked as she headed toward the rooms with her choices.

"To be a feminist, I guess you don't have to really do anything." Sylvie followed her to the room and then stood outside with the cart, "I guess all you have to do is just have the feminist beliefs. Now if you want to become an activist, that's a different story." Sylvie explained.

Miriam frowned. "An activist?" She tried the skinny jeans on first. "Um are these supposed to be like this? She asked, walking out to where Sylvie was. she wore the flowered shirt as well.

"Ridiculously tight, Yes." Sylvie said as she sat at a chair next to the dressing room Miriam was in. She played with her phone, scrolling through a web page of photographer's work that had been posted. She looked up from her phone to see Miriam's style, "Very nice... kind of vintage chic." Sylvie commented, "I like vintage. I'm a fan." she realized this meant nothing to Miriam, "What I mean is that you look good, and you'll fit right in."

Miriam looked really confused for a second but then nodded as Sylvie explained. "Okay. I'll keep them." She went back inside and tried on the sundress. It was red with white daisies all over it. The neck was scoopy with extra fabric. "I like this!" She came out, excited. "Does it look okay? I can save it for special occasions." Miriam loved flowers. Her mother used to take her out to pick them when they had extra time.

"Beautiful!" Sylvie cheered for her, "Who said anything about special occasions. Wear what you want when you want! It's your body!" Sylvie said rebelliously crossing her arms and legs where she sat, holding her phone in one hand. While she wasn't like most teenagers her age, she still had her identifiers.

Miriam smiled brightly. She went back inside, trying on the ripped jeans and a baggy shirt that kept sliding off her shoulder. "This is so comfortable!!!" She squealed, running out. "Oh....I need a bodice or something." She realized her breasts were moving too much for her comfort.

"Oh! Oh gosh a bra!" Sylvie laughed, "yeah, the dress you were wearing had one built in... Hmm. Just a sec." Sylvie walked off to the underwear section and brought back a 6 pack of women's underwear and two lacey flowery bras. Sylvie had noticed Miriam's interest in floral patterns, the bras were 36 C, "Hopefully these fit you." She handed Mirian the bras and threw the underwear pack in the shopping cart.

Miriam went back to the room to try one on. "That's much better. Yeah they fit." She called, walking out. "This is a little odd feeling but I can get used to it. Better than the alternative."

"I think it's more supportive than a bodice, too." Sylvie said hoping she was using the correct terminology, "there's a metal wire in it to support... Them." Sylvie danced around the word, "Got what you want? My dad said about 4 or 5 outfits."

Miriam nodded. "Yep! Got a couple shorts and jeans and some shirts plus my dress. So 5." She smiled. "I can't thank you and your father enough for your help. I don't know how I will ever be able to repay you."

Sylvie smiled, "Don't worry about it... We just want to help. I don't know what you'd do if we didn't help. You'd have no where to go. Come on, let's go get my Dad and Danny."

Miriam nodded and quickly followed to go see the boys. She was excited to wear her new clothes and fit in.

Sylvie caught up to Danny and Eugene. They had finished clothes shopping. Sylvie took Miriam's clothes and put them in Danny's basket, consolidating the two and leaving one cart on the side of an aisle, "So do you like your clothes?" she asked,

Danny nodded, "I suppose. They are very comfortable and not too warm or sticky... I feel as if the clothes are starting to fall off, but they don't. I suppose I will adapt. They are practically the same as the clothing people wore in my time except the material."

"Glad to hear." Sylvie said thinking how uncomfortable and hot it must have been to wear wool pants in the summer, "So time to go over to the grocery side of the store?"

Eugene nodded, "Let's grab some snacks and some fruit and maybe drinks." Eugene listed off as he thought.

Sylvie nodded, "Okay."

Danny tried to answer but wasn't too familiar with the term, "Do you mean candy and other foods like that?"

"Basically... But now days we have many different kinds, come on." Sylvie led them to the food section. The shelves were packed with any and every food imaginable. Danny's eyes grew as he slpwly touched the food on the shelves,

"This is... Incredible." He gasped, "It's... In already ready to go boxes... It... People must never go hungry anymore."

Sylvie made a face at that comment because the sad reality was that many people in America didn't have enough to eat. She danced around it, "Maybe, I don't know. Come on! Let's go to the snacks. Dad will worry about the other stuff." She led them to the cookies and chips.

Miriam was in awe. She wondered why Sylvie hadn't directly answered Danny, wondering if people still starved. She was admiring a candy bar in a gold wrapper. Chocolate with a caramel center. "Wow...this looks so fancy. Is this a delicacy?"

"No it's a candy bar." Sylvie explained smiling, "Oh and candy has gotten way better by the way." She said to Danny, "Let's get a variety pack of different candies and you can try all the kinds." Sylvie grabbed it and put it in the car, "Onward, Mr. Connolly!" Sylvie jumped on the end of the shopping cart. Danny chuckled as he began to push Sylvie.

Miriam shuffled behind them, turning to stare at all the candies in the aisle. "I never even got candy at all in Salem." She murmured, blinking like a kid in a candy store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back