• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Taken

Sylvie responded, "I wonder where you all would be at in your education by today's standards."

"Probably behind." Eugene said, "But that doesn't mean they couldn't learn, I'm sure they could catch up with some work."

Sylvie asked Miriam, "So adding and subtracting. Is that something not a lot of people could do in your time? I know that illiteracy rates were around 30-40% depending on the colony. And usually the illiteracy rate in women was much higher."

"Now you sound like the know-it-all, Sylvie." Eugene teased.

Sylvie hit him playfully.

"I got your back, Danny." Eugene said pointing at him through the rear view mirror. Danny smiled, unsure what it meant exactly.

Miriam nodded. "A lot of my friends didn't agree with the fact that I could do it. My mother got a lot of flack for it to be honest. But she thought it was important that women learn and not be dependent on a man. Which is probably a big reason why she was burned." Miriam shook her head. "My mother always taught that I should be able to take care of myself and handle my own affairs instead of having a man do it for me. She always said she didn't want me to be helpless."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"You're mother sounds like a wise, progressive woman." Eugene said, "Most people now days feel the way your mother did. Women are given equal opportunity, They vote, hold positions in office, own land, run businesses. There will always be people who discriminate but... Can't help that." Eugene explained, "Your mother sounds strong, did she have a man in her life?"

Miriam shook her head. "My father left when I was a baby. She raised me herself." She said, fidgeting. "Does that still happen now?" She asked curiously, hoping she wasn't the only one without a father.

Sylvie sighed, "That happens more than it should. Of course most people are happy families, but there's a lot of men who leave when they find out their going to have a baby."

"I didn't," Eugene said, "I was very happy to have Eddie and even though I was terrified and not quite ready to be a father. I would never run away from your mother. A man has to be a man and take care of his children the best he can."

"I know." Sylvie said smiling, "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Me neither, Sylv." Eugene agreed.

Miriam felt a pang of hurt. She wished she had a father like Eugene. She didn't begrudge Sylvie Eugene, just wished her father had stuck around to get to know her when she was a child. Miriam looked back out the window again, silently agreeing with Eugene. The man who helped give birth to Miriam wasn't her father, not the way she saw it.

Danny didn't write understand that... Father's leaving their children. Danny had a supportive father and mother, two parents who were in love and there for their children. He never had to go without his parents, until now. He looked down, slightly sad that they weren't here, but quickly turned his sorrow into determination, 'I will find our home, Papa,' he thought, 'The one us boys built together.'

"Alright here we are," Eugene pulled up in the Wal-Mart parking lot and parked. He place his arm over the back of the front couch seat and turned around in his seat to look at Danny and Miriam, "sure you two want to do this? Practically everything you see in there will be something you don't understand. It might be hard."

Danny was already looking around at all the cars parked beside them. It interested him as to why they were all of different shapes, sizes, and colors. Did it help them perform better? Did some sizes and shapes have disadvantages and advantages over others? Were some faster? Could some pull more, hold more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Miriam was practically bouncing in her seat. She welcomed the distraction. "I'm positive. Let's go!!" She bounded out of the car door.

"Alright," Eugene opened his door and hurried to Miriam, "Woah woah woah. We are going to go over a few rules." He stopped when he noticed Danny wondering into the parking lot aimlessly looking around. Eugene snapped, "Danny get over here now!"

Danny startled, jumping at Eugene's suddenly firm, authoritative voice. Eugene was so soft spoken and friendly that Danny had almost forgotten he was a father, and father's demanded respect. Danny hurried over to him, "Apologies. Yes, Sir?"

Sylvie stood ahead of everyone, arms crossed and hip cocked. She just wanted to get going. This wasn't going to be a routine trip to Walmart, Sylvie already knew. Still, she couldn't help but be tickled by the entire situation, and she was excited to see how everyone would react in it.

"First rule," Eugene began making sure both were focusing on him, "You stay with me. Wherever I go, you go. I am to never be out of either of yours sight. Understand?" he wanted confirmation before continuing.

"Yes, Sir." Danny nodded.

"Second, don't speak to anyone. I don't want you sharing any details or hints about your origins. Third, don't touch anything. Just stay quiet and watch me and others around us. Learn the normal behavior that goes on in a place like this before you decide to participate." Eugene explained, "Sound good. Follow what Sylvie and I do. Observe."

Sylvie crossed her arms, "Oh great, does this mean I have to be on best behavior?" Sylvie asked with a playful grin.

"Stop." Eugene walked by putting Sylvie in a quick headlock before kissing her head, "Let's go."

Sylvie trailed back with Miriam and Danny, "Just stick with me and you'll both be fine. It's just a trip to the store." Sylvie chuckled at her dad's rules.

Miriam's face fell. She had wanted to touch things. She figured there was all kinds of neat things she could play with, and was disappointed to hear that she wouldn't be able to. Still she nodded, agreeing to the rules and following Eugene and Sylvie into the store.

The sliding glass doors slid out of the way as the group approached and then slid shut behind them. Eugene pointed over to the shopping carts to their left, "Danny could you please go get one of those carts? Your job is to push it."

Danny was staring at a crane machine loaded with stuffed animals next to him. When Eugene said his name, he looked over to him, nodded and walked over grabbing the car he began to drag it over when he saw the handle bar. He put his hands there and began to push. It was much easier this way. A walmart greeter spoke to him, "Good morning, Son."

Danny startled, looking at the man, "G-good morning, Sir." he replied to the old man with a smile who smiled back even stronger.

Eugene grinned, "Come on, Danny."

At Eugene's call, Danny turned back around and they entered the store, merchandise surrounding them, the isles and walk ways looked like little roads with people pushing carts around.

Miriam stared at the carts, the crane, the man, the aisles. She could hardly believe her eyes. Her mouth was slightly ajar.

Danny placed a hand over his brow. Everything was so bright, the lights, the white floor, white metal shelves, everything blinded him. There were pictures, televisions on the isles, bright colored objects. It was all so overwhelming. He felt anxious and stressed, this began to turn into panic. He almost couldn't take it anymore as his stomach tore itself up and twisted into knots. His breathing began to become more rapid as he looked around him. Sylvie reached out and placed her hand over Danny's on the cart. She squeezed it tightly and he turned his attention to her. She whispered to him,

"Danny... it's okay."

He felt himself beginning to shake, closing his eyes he stopped walking. Eugene turned around and headed toward him, "Danny are you alright?" he asked, "If you can't handle this, we can go back to the car. I can just send Sylvie in."

Miriam stopped to look at Danny. This place was like a carnival to her. She never imagined it would cause him so much distress. Things were bright and overwhelming but Miriam revelled in it, enjoying the newness of everything. She watched Danny, hoping they would let Miriam stay with Sylvie if the group split up.

"No!" Danny said suddenly, "I'm fine. I can handle it... I want to be here. I can do this." Danny said moving his hair out of his face, "I will be okay. Let's keep going. What are we getting?" he said catching his breath.

Eugene and Sylvie exchanged looks, unsure whether or not Danny truly was fine. Sylvie shrugged as Eugene replied to Danny, "Clothes. You both need some new clothes. We figured we'd get Danny's first since it should be quicker." Eugene led them to the boys clothing section, "Pick out some shirts you like. You'll probably wear an adult small or child large. So... 14-18 in shirts and maybe 18 or 28 in pants."

As Eugene spoke, Danny walked around picking up hangers and holding them up, looking at the clothes, "What?" he didn't understand the sizes at all.

"They're on the hanger. Here." Sylvie pointed to the green plastic piece on the hanger which held the size of the shirt Danny held. He nodded as he studied the T-shirt he held in front of him. He looked around at the shirts around him and then back to the T-shirt,

"Is this it?"

"What do you mean?" Sylvie asked.

"Is this all you wear?"

"That and pants or shorts yes." Sylvie answered.

Danny nodded slowly, "I like this shirt." he said handing Eugene the striped red and orange T-shirt.

"Well put it on the cart and we'll try it on later."

"Okay..." Danny wasn't sure how that worked so he just stayed quiet.

Miriam looked at the shirts. "I don't have to wear these do i?" She asked. Nothing much appealed to her here.

"No." Sylvie laughed, "These are boys clothes." She pointed around them at the different clothing items, "But in a little bit after Danny gets a few pairs of clothes, we'll go over to the girl's section... Actually," Sylvie tapped Eugene's arm, "Dad may I take Miriam over there now? We can shop for clothes while you help Danny here and then when we're done we'll meet at the produce section. Or you can just call me." Sylvie held up her cell phone.

Eugene looked hesitant, but ultimately agreed after a sigh, "Alright... go ahead."

Sylvie smiled and grabbed Miriam's hand, "This way." she pulled her towards the girl's section.

Sylvie nodded, "There are some yes. Not a lot though." She led her over to the junior's section and stood in the middle near the bikinis and jean shorts, "You sure you don't want to try some more... modern clothes?" she smiled hopefully. She wanted to see how Miriam would look, "You know, I bet they do have a good selection of skirts." Sylvie said.

Miriam looked shocked. "Those are strings! This is not clothing!" She called, pointing at the bikinis. "I don't feel comfortable wearing anything but dresses. It's all I've ever worn my whole life. But....I need to fit in." She looked lost and confused. "I'll try other items but...nothing too revealing..." She looked around for something decent but couldn't find anything she didn't think was revealing.

"Sorry... these are swim suits... not clothes." Sylvie chuckled, "You could wear skirts to your knees." Sylvie suggested, "And tank tops or T shirts. You could try jean pants if you want. All of those things would fit in just fine." she led her over to the pants and skirts, "But if you wear a skirt to your ankles... you will stand out." Sylvie explained.

Miriam made a face. "My legs look horrible though. I don't like my knees." She wandered to the jeans. "I'll try pants. I'd rather wear them and keep all my legs covered." She told Sylvie. "How do I know which ones to get?" She asked.

Sylvie made a confused expression, "Even in the 1600s, women don't like their bodies?" she asked following Miriam, "That's weird. I thought that was a more modern problem, social insecurities... guess not." she walked toward the jeans with Miriam and said, "You pick a pair that you think looks nice and then we take it to the dressing room and try it on."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back