News The Staff's Ask Us (Almost) Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Der Kojote] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/5322-shura/ said:
@Shura[/URL] Why do you pounce?
Because I can! >D

In all honesty I don't know. I saw people glomping or tackling other and just wanted to be different. I've always loved tigers and big cats in general so pouncing came to mind. I only did it a hand full of times before people nicknamed me the pounce ninja and it's something I have stuck with.

Godman873 said:
Why are you a robot sheep?
:D Well I really can't complain since I brought this on myself.

First off, I was a robot before I was a sheep- that was the doing of a really old member by the name of @Fhaux

On Naruto Eledia (one of another site administrated by Ace), she often did doodles of funny chat moments and I drew myself into one as a box. Before this Fhaux already made Robiki and Urbot, so I became Kagubot (because boxes reminded her of robots, and I think it had something to do with the fact I'm Canadian with Urbonov)

Secondly- Sheep started off as a euphemism.

Back when i was a wee teenager Kagu, and I didn't understand the world as it was- I accidentally said something in chat with a dirty meaning but I didn't understand it. Another member explained it to me by using Roosters and Sheep as a metaphor. It became the inside joke that soon denoted my very being, and I grew to like the animal because of it's association with me. It's a joke long past, though xD '

[QUOTE="Der Kojote]have you remembered why I am your chair yet?

[/QUOTE]
I don't know! I think it was the mentality of everyone hugging or snuggling and I wanted to do something different.

Plus If I fits, I sits. owo

Katsey said:
@The Staff
Is it normal for people our age to role-play, or are we all just so cool? I think I know the answer so here's a serious one, I haven't been role-playing in quite some time. Is there a secret to being a good role-player?
It's normal. I mean, I think so at least. My dungeon master in DnD is in his mid forties, he was palying since 1e. Really, creativity and imagination never dies. People will always want to create things. Besides, Roleplaying isn't so different then writing, and we don't claim authors are too old to write do we?

A secret to being a good roleplayer? There actually is. You need to post! Post often, when it's your turn to post, do it as soon as you can! Keep the game flowing! Further, each and every post needs some progression through the story or plot.

If a post does not amount of any new developments for characters, plot, or anything, it's a waste of space and shouldn't be posted Next thing to do is remove meta knowledge. Roleplay characters separate from what you know, this is important for the next step.

Talk, collaborate, plan, and listen! Talk to other people in the rp and plan for events to happen, things like that. "Alright, I feel like our characters are obviously going to get into a fight, and since my guy has no training, you would totally stomp him." Things like that. Plan ahead for events, and you roleplay the in between, and the event itself. A roleplay without having a clear goal of where the posts are leading too, isn't going anywhere. The plans help you guide your character along the story.

Rowgen said:
What's the various Staff members' favorite settings (answers such as Middle-Earth, low fantasy, Warhammer...etc.)? @The Staff
I'm big on modern settings with a hint of fantasy/supernatural. I also enjoy low fantasy. I tend to shy away from sci-fi or high fantasy.

TheRoleplayingDovah said:
Would you like a tea or coffee?
Neither. Bleh.

@The Staff , how did you find RPnation and what's your favourite Roleplaying memories? and what has annoyed you in the past in terms of RPing? E.g., godmodding, too quick pacing, lollygagging etc...
RpNation is a pretty cool place. My favourite Roleplaying memory? Well... This one is really old. The long long ago, in the before times. Before roleplay zone was around, before rpdom or wayward inn. Before pattern spider, before rpnation... there was a little corner of the net for people who were big into certain blizzard games. And, in the corner was a smaller corner, a creativity/writing section. This corner grew it's own corner in a roleplaying forum.

It is here that @Miz and I perfected our craft. My favourite rp memory is likely the memory of playing a very old RP on that site named plunder. I believe it's shrouded by rose-tinted glasses and nostalgia, but there you go.

@The Staff

Is it possible that there's any content before 2010? Or is that all there is? Always wondered that myself...

is it evil if I ask that when Rpn reaches 333 , 333 , 333 posts that I get a baby shark instead?

If I showed up at any of your house's , would you let me in? What if I had a rather large blaster cannon? Or a 3 foot long sword?

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="HK 50 09]Is it possible that there's any content before 2010? Or is that all there is? Always wondered that myself...
is it evil if I ask that when Rpn reaches 333 , 333 , 333 posts that I get a baby shark instead?

If I showed up at any of your house's , would you let me in? What if I had a rather large blaster cannon? Or a 3 foot long sword?

[/QUOTE]
The site started in 2010, I was it's 10th member!

(so no, we do not xP)

The Staff does not give away it's babies!

I would probably not let you in- I would call the police- even if you were unarmed. *such scared*

Kagura said:
The site started in 2010, I was it's 10th member!
(so no, we do not xP)

The Staff does not give away it's babies!

I would probably not let you in- I would call the police- even if you were unarmed. *such scared*
I see. I might not let me in either... At least this proves after 7,188 years and 1000's of legends about mechanical warriors , I am still scary. Heh.

Ricia said:
I'm addicted to RpNation. Even when I'm not RPing... i'm patrolling the site.
If you feel like your annoying another, perhaps you should ask. I can't tell you if you would get an honest answer, but as long as you or the other member are not being rude or disrespectful to the other, all will be well.

As for the meaning of life... to live happily?
The meaning of life is the answer to life, and the answer to life is 42.

Wow. Lots to answer already.

*cracks knuckles*

Okay. Let's do this.

Jaysun said:
how do you overcome laziness and procrastination to start writing? @The Staff
Sometimes I don't. :)

But mostly, I just start writing. It might start out rough, but I can edit later. Eventually, I find the groove and then I can trim out the stumbling at the beginning. As with most any writing exercise, the biggest hurdle is often sitting down and starting.

Katsey said:
Is it normal for people our age to role-play, or are we all just so cool?
I'm one of the *cough* oldest players on the site, so "our age" is relative. I've written with people of many ages, and age/experience does not necessarily equate to quality. Our site membership has a wide age range, which I think is one of the thing that makes it thrive.

And yes, we are just so cool.

Katsey said:
Is there a secret to being a good role-player?
Write. Care about the story and your writing partner/group. Keep writing. Be ready and prepared to toss everything out the window and take a turn you didn't expect. Write. Communicate with your Storyteller/writing partners/group; find a general direction you want to go together. And keep writing. :)

Killer said:
If you could turn time back, would you do anything different? Would you change your life in any way at all? Or are you happy how things have turned out so far? If you prefer not to answer, I understand. Pretty deep question :P
No. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life - some of them doozies, believe me. I'd like to think I learned from them. They're part of who I am, so how could I disown them without discarding part of who I am? (I know... pretty deep, right?)

Of course, I would like to try being a millionaire...

Rowgen said:
What's the various Staff members' favorite settings (answers such as Middle-Earth, low fantasy, Warhammer...etc.)?
I gravitate toward low-fantasy and modern stories with supernatural elements. I've been dabbling in Steampunk and love it. I love reading sci-fi but suck at writing it. Ultimately, I seek a story with strong character development and shades of grey that challenge the character's beliefs - the setting is important, but not more than having a great story arc to work with.

I am an evil insane overlord with an army of clones and have over one billion trillon dollars to play around with. I will take over the world using freaking "Lasers" but here is my question.
Would you like a tea or coffee?
Tea. Black tea with cinnamon and cloves, if you have it, please.

@Moderators , I have a question regarding what is percieved as fair in terms of kicking people out of a RP. If i did an RP where i stated "Players can not invent or control any NPCs without my Permission" and they did it on a constant basis, if i kicked them out after 3 warnings, would it be a reasonable decision to make? Also, if i kicked people out for posting too quickly, would that be fair? One of the things i dislike about RPs is that some players post too quickly and do not wait for others thus the RP becoming a bit of a mess. It's one of the reasons why all RPs i've been in have died on here.
I think the other Mods covered this already. In short, it's your game. You set the rules. That said, it's good form (in my opinion) to give people a chance to correct behavior before kicking them from any game.

@The Staff , how did you find RPnation and what's your favourite Roleplaying memories? and what has annoyed you in the past in terms of RPing? E.g., godmodding, too quick pacing, lollygagging etc...
I found RpN through a google search when reviving my RPing activities after a hiatus.

Some of my favorite roleplaying memories center on a tabletop campaign from many moons ago and a 1x1 roleplay story that a partner and I completed (gasp!) after over 2 years of writing together daily.

Godmodding and flawless characters are my two biggest RP-centric pet peeves, followed closely by not advancing the story.

Marvelous Chester] [URL="http://www.rpnation.com/members/?ug=4 said:
@Moderators[/URL] . I love to roleplay. And it's got to the point I'm on this sight 24/7 Do any of you have that problem to.
Also I always feel that when I'm roleplaying or in private message I'm annoying. Is there anyway you can tell if you're annoying a fellow roleplayer And there just being nice and not telling you you're annoying them, And have you ever felt that way.

Or mabey I should ask you a harder question. What's the meaning of life. (Lol you don't have to answer that last one)
The whole "am I pestering" thing - yeah, I've wondered that, sometimes, too. Electronic communication has no verbal cues, after all. I think that I would just ask directly, trust that the other person will be honest with me, and be prepared to adjust accordingly.

As for the meaning of life? I'd say 42, but Auren beat me to it. It's a Monty Python song.

HK 50 09] [URL="http://www.rpnation.com/members/17541/ said:
@The Staff[/URL]
Is it possible that there's any content before 2010? Or is that all there is? Always wondered that myself...

The first two questions have been answered, I think.

If you showed up at my house, I would probably not let you in. I'm originally from New England, and we can be jerks that way. Besides, even if you got past me, you'd meet my husband, who would not let you in, even with a blaster cannon or sword.

*dusts off her hands* I think that's it... for now. (Cue foreboding music.)

Erica said:
Wow. Lots to answer already.
*cracks knuckles*

Okay. Let's do this.

Sometimes I don't. :)

But mostly, I just start writing. It might start out rough, but I can edit later. Eventually, I find the groove and then I can trim out the stumbling at the beginning. As with most any writing exercise, the biggest hurdle is often sitting down and starting.

I'm one of the *cough* oldest players on the site, so "our age" is relative. I've written with people of many ages, and age/experience does not necessarily equate to quality. Our site membership has a wide age range, which I think is one of the thing that makes it thrive.

And yes, we are just so cool.

Write. Care about the story and your writing partner/group. Keep writing. Be ready and prepared to toss everything out the window and take a turn you didn't expect. Write. Communicate with your Storyteller/writing partners/group; find a general direction you want to go together. And keep writing. :)

No. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life - some of them doozies, believe me. I'd like to think I learned from them. They're part of who I am, so how could I disown them without discarding part of who I am? (I know... pretty deep, right?)

Of course, I would like to try being a millionaire...

I gravitate toward low-fantasy and modern stories with supernatural elements. I've been dabbling in Steampunk and love it. I love reading sci-fi but suck at writing it. Ultimately, I seek a story with strong character development and shades of grey that challenge the character's beliefs - the setting is important, but not more than having a great story arc to work with.

Tea. Black tea with cinnamon and cloves, if you have it, please.

I think the other Mods covered this already. In short, it's your game. You set the rules. That said, it's good form (in my opinion) to give people a chance to correct behavior before kicking them from any game.

I found RpN through a google search when reviving my RPing activities after a hiatus.

Some of my favorite roleplaying memories center on a tabletop campaign from many moons ago and a 1x1 roleplay story that a partner and I completed (gasp!) after over 2 years of writing together daily.

Godmodding and flawless characters are my two biggest RP-centric pet peeves, followed closely by not advancing the story.

The whole "am I pestering" thing - yeah, I've wondered that, sometimes, too. Electronic communication has no verbal cues, after all. I think that I would just ask directly, trust that the other person will be honest with me, and be prepared to adjust accordingly.

As for the meaning of life? I'd say 42, but Auren beat me to it. It's a Monty Python song.

The first two questions have been answered, I think.

If you showed up at my house, I would probably not let you in. I'm originally from New England, and we can be jerks that way. Besides, even if you got past me, you'd meet my husband, who would not let you in, even with a blaster cannon or sword.

*dusts off her hands* I think that's it... for now. (Cue foreboding music.)
Honestly I would hope you would be able to tell I've done something really bad if I'm going to try to get into stranger's houses , so good judgement there!

Sarah said:
my question is simple... how does one become a fellow?
When we are in need of more fellows, the staff reach out to members who we notice being consistently helpful on the site - welcoming other users, helping with questions, etc.

@Moderators

1. What was the funniest thing you've read on this sight

2.What was the stupidest thing you've ever done

3.Is there a way to get you're roleplays more views and get people more interested in them

4.Would you be willing to Skype and chat with a roleplayed on this sight

5.If any one of you was given one-thousand million dollars but you had to decide to keep it to you're self or put it all into the sight what would you do.

6.What would you do if all you're roleplays suddenly became real.

[QUOTE="Marvelous Chester]1. What was the funniest thing you've read on this sight

3.Is there a way to get you're roleplays more views and get people more interested in them

5.If any one of you was given one-thousand million dollars but you had to decide to keep it to you're self or put it all into the sight what would you do.

[/QUOTE]
1. Well, I can't really say what they are, but I've read quite a few things I've found funny on here.

2. When I was a kid, I had a little four-wheeler. I was following my parents through the woods when they went over a log. I tried the same thing, even though my fourwheeler was smaller, and ended up stuck. xD

3. Roleplay recruitment, and talking about your roleplay with people in the Shoutbox.

4. I have many people that I skype with on this site. I usually chat bout the roleplays i'm in with them. :3

5. Erm... one thousand or one million? I don't think a thousand million is a real number. Or did you mean a billion dollars? Either way, I think I'd keep some of it, and put some into the site. We need a lot of updates v__v

6. If my roleplays became real? Hmm... I'd die. I'm in a lot of violent-like roleplays, and irl, I'm no fighter. xD

@The Dark Wizard

Here's a fun question. Why did you forget to add "Avoiding playing Magic: The Gathering with King" to your hobbies? :D Just kidding. Maybe someone already asked, but what are you going to school for?

[QUOTE="Marvelous Chester]1. What was the funniest thing you've read on this sight

[/QUOTE]
  1. A Spiderman Meme Thread that's floating somewhere around the site
  2. I decided to go hiking up a mountain, almost fell off a cliff, cut my toes to shreds and walked home in only wet boxers
  3. There is no one sure fire way, but I can suggest advertising it in the SB actively looking for members to join as opposed to just posting a thread (remember to be polite)
  4. I have before but I don't very often
  5. There's a loophole in this question and I'm gonna use it. I'd keep it all to myself and then buy whatever the site needed.
  6. Hmmm, I might survive in some of them but i'd probably die of cold and hunger before anything tried to kill me.

[/QUOTE]
1. "I hear a shape and see a dagger on a scabbard on her leg under her shirt...."

2. I stuck my wet finger into a light socket.

3. Role Play Recruitment. One thread. Occasionally popping into the shout box and telling people about it. Just don't spam it.

4. No, I don't add people to my skype who are not personal friends. However I am often on Team Speak and Steam and I'm willing to game and talk there. Do not contact me for site things via steam. I'm there to game.

5. As Auran said, there is a loop hole. However i'll answer it how it was intended, which is choosing one over the other. I'd keep it to myself. I've personally donated a lot of money to the site, but one thousand million dollars is a lot. Life would be easy with that much money.

6. I would cry... I do a lot of awful things to my characters...

[QUOTE="Marvelous Chester]@Moderators
1. What was the funniest thing you've read on this sight

[/QUOTE]
1. I often read funny things on RpN. One that sticks out in recent memory was a scene in one of my 1x1 RPs that would bore everyone to tears if I recounted it. Just trust me that I literally laughed until I cried.

2. Wow. That's a long list. Um.... I don't know about the stupidest, but most recently, I was driving from Kentucky to North Carolina for a wedding. Somewhere in Tenesseee, I let my phone give me directions and turned onto a side road (I think it was "possum trail" or something). On the side of the road in front of a one-story shack, there was a very professional sign that read "ATTN TRUCKERS: GPS is wrong. Turn back now."

Figuring that the tiny rental car we were in wouldn't have a problem, I stupidly forged ahead. The road led through some of the most windy, Deliverance-inspired backwater roads I've ever been on. It started out a little funny, then I kept thinking "this is a horror movie, and I made the wrong choice". We made it to the highway again 20 minutes later, but...yeah. Dumb.

3. If you figure out the secret sauce, share it with the site. I think the others covered it, though: advertise in the roleplay recruitment areas and in the SB (within reason), talk among players. And be patient. Yes, some RPs get applicants right away. But often people need to think before posting a character sheet, too. Oh, and the standard stuff about making a RP appealing: ensure it's well thought-out and fleshed out, plus has good formatting, etc., before you advertise it.

4. No. I reserve Skype for video chats with family (mostly they just want to talk to my son).

5. I'll ignore the loophole, since it's already been exploited. (*shakes a fist at Auren and Nin*). I'd keep it to myself. I'd prefer to share with the site, but if you made me choose, I would choose to keep it. I guess I'm selfish like that.

6. I think I'd have to go into hiding. My characters would make a mean and wholly justified lynch mob.

@Erica @Ricia @Kagura @Esme @Shura @Paranoia

Do you roleplay boys, and if so, do you feel it's any different than roleplaying girls?

@Moderators - What's ya'll's dream job? Why is it your dream job?

(Mine is being an Editor at a YA/NA book publisher, or working at a book store if all else fails. There's just something exciting about being surrounded by books or helping others in their publishing journey.)

@The Administration - What do ya'll each think is best part of being an Admin of RpN?

Auren said:
@Erica @Ricia @Kagura @Esme @Shura @Paranoia
Do you roleplay boys, and if so, do you feel it's any different than roleplaying girls?

@Moderators - What's ya'll's dream job? Why is it your dream job?

(Mine is being an Editor at a YA/NA book publisher, or working at a book store if all else fails. There's just something exciting about being surrounded by books or helping others in their publishing journey.)
I'll tackle the opposite of the first one! I have RPed female characters before. Sometimes it's very strange, and I just can't quite place why.

On the second, I want to teach. It's something that's been in my family for years; basically everyone has taught at some point (all of my grandparents taught at some point, my mom is retiring from teaching this June, and even my dad taught classes), so it feels like it's in my blood. Always had a fascination with helping people and imparting wisdom onto them, if that makes sense. Probably aiming for university (it's about all I can do with a philosophy degree) after I work my way up the chain to my PhD. But alas, years down the line that is.

Auren said:
I try to diversify and role play boys. Most of the time I feel like I'm doing it wrong, and there's a definitely a moment of 'need to seem dudeish here'.

Auren said:
What do ya'll each think is best part of being an Admin of RpN?
Honestly I love helping the community.

I love coming on everyday and being a part of something that I have seen grow from basically grassroots.

Me coming on staff was a simple feeling of "I want to try and help out" and it grew from there!

Don't listen to Negative @Pineapple up thar ^^^

He sekretly loves us all :>

@Inquisitor Yay, you're twenty and you're adorable, then I'm twenty and I'm Kawaii~ My question is, would you be willing to roleplay with me, and if yes, would you be fine with occasional one-liners, but for the most part, three sentences to two/three paragraphs, mainly centered on three to six sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back