• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Shadow People

Endgame

Free until they cut me down.

qic-hiqyoB8z5Wz4GujMSwojLcJsoNZL_oAshhfz5nvfHqnCSL36oI89NtlOXFQyOpfqufmnncuggji6-ItadOSgmb7NRVYGWXPYOkvjFz6cfEBHJYrZohDfSVXx06ZvDIxHYEtE

t h e | s h a d o w | p e o p l e .

co-created with Mage_Clawhammer

For the Drifters, death is only the beginning. They don’t know how they died or why they are still on this Earth, but they’re doing the only thing they know how to do: Existing.

Living in the commune of the apartment complex Park 3025, by day the Drifters walk unbeknownst amongst us – delivering our papers, panhandling on street corners, or pouring our morning coffee. At night, they do their best to avoid us, for fear of being recognized for what they are: Shadow People.

If humanity’s rejection isn’t enough, the greater alienation is the rejection of oneself. As time wears on, the Drifters begin to lose the remaining parts of their humanity in a process known as the Fading. In order to delay this inevitable end, the Drifters band together. Because death isn’t the final end for the Drifters, for what comes after the ‘life’ of a Drifter is a far more terrifying prospect for all of them.

P R E M I S E .

This is an experienced character-driven urban fantasy story. You will be playing the role of one of the Drifters. Human by light, shadow by night, you are just trying to make do with what has been handed to you. Detailed summaries for the Drifters are written below as well as the beings known as Bedlam. The story will start off with more of a light-hearted dark-comedic atmosphere, but will transform into a suspenseful survival story. How you choose to react is up to you. Please be advised that for this rp you may be required to carry your character’s story temporarily at different points of the narrative. Individuals looking to join should feel comfortable doing so. There will be no hand-holding. Questions, input, or collaborations are, of course, welcomed.

S E T T I N G .

Modern day Seattle, Washington. Some refer to it as ‘Rain City’. The Drifters just call it home. While the Drifters are welcomed to leave Seattle’s borders at any time, something always draws them back into it. For the living, home is where the heart is. For the dead, it’s nothing more than their haunting ground.

Most drifters are squatters, claiming squatters’ rights over Park 3025, a rundown apartment complex on the outskirts of Seattle’s southwest borders. Just because they’re dead doesn’t mean that they don’t need to keep a roof over their head – unfortunately, dying doesn’t free them entirely from needing one of the basic necessities of life.

D E F I N I T I O N S .

Drifter. (noun, plural drifters)

Drifters are the dead. Except rather than going on to some lofty land in the sky, or to a fiery pit below, they have remained on earth. Neither have they become incorporeal entities rooted to the location of their demise. Though drawn, or compelled, to gather and remain in certain locations, Drifters are otherwise able to come and go as they please. Drifters have physical human forms, and are perfectly capable of interacting with the living world. By appearance, there is no way to distinguish between a drifting soul and a living human. They are utterly corporeal, complete with warm skin that can tan and burn in the sunlight. Drifters do not need to eat, however. They do not need to drink or to breathe; they have no pulse and no blood. They are incapable of sleep, and they cannot change. Attempts to alter their appearance (tattoos, piercings, haircuts, shaves, etc.), as well as any wounds inflicted to their bodies, always revert to their normal unchanged state by morning of the following day. A Drifter’s physical body is not the same as the one they had when living. The reason for this is not known, but it allows them to interact with old family or friends without causing a problem. Unfortunately, this also leads to many Drifters attempting to reintegrate themselves back into their old family units or friend groups, often with disastrous results.

Drifters often refer to themselves as Shadow People. While they appear normal in sunlight, or while exposed to an artificial light source, their appearance changes in dark or heavily shaded areas. Drifters become seamless black human shaped silhouettes, devoid of any defining features or characteristics except for a large pair of luminous eyes. In this form they can move in complete silence, and leave no tracks or impression in their wake. They gain the ability to douse natural and artificial lights, and can walk through shadows and dark spaces, essentially allowing them to teleport between sufficiently darkened areas.

When encountering a Drifter in their dark form, humans suffer an inexplicable and uncontrollable fear. Often times the trauma of the encounter is so great that the minds of the living completely block out the event, and the human continues through life completely oblivious to what they have just experienced.

Drifters cannot remember the moment, or the nature, of their deaths. Much like someone who suddenly becomes aware of being in a dream, Drifters suddenly gain awareness, and then must decide what to do from that point. They can remember their past lives, but typically only in fragments. Many Drifters have come to believe that this existence is unnatural, and that they are victims to some form of cosmological fluke. One reason for this conclusion is the sheer number of Drifters that exist. For all the people who die every day, it is believed that the barest percent of a percent return as a Drifter. They are so few and far between, in fact, that despite the compulsion to gather together in certain areas, many Drifters travel alone for years before encountering another like them. The other big reason many Drifters believe that their state is unnatural is an occurrence known as the Fading (see The Fading). Once the soul deteriorates to the point where there is essentially nothing human left, the Drifter ceases to exist, and transforms into something else.

Bedlam. (noun, plural Bedlam)

A Bedlam is born when a Drifter succumbs to the Fading and loses its humanity. Though there are minor variations between individuals, nearly all Bedlam have a tall, wraith-like, appearance. Much like a Drifter’s dark form, the Bedlam appears as a black silhouette lacking any distinctive features except for a pair of large luminous eyes. Their shape is less defined, however, as though they have been covered with a shroud. It is incredibly rare for a human to encounter a Bedlam. When they do, the sense of fear caused by the Bedlam is strong enough to send the mortal into shock. Even when hidden or unseen, the living are often uneasy in areas where a Bedlam is lurking

Bedlam move slowly and deliberately, seeming to glide low across the ground rather than walk. They can move through shadows, just as Drifters do, allowing them to ambush and pursue swift moving prey. It does not appear that they have the ability to speak, as the only sound they have been heard to make is a quiet hissing as they search for prey. Bedlam do not appear to be capable of higher thought at all, and are driven purely by the hunger for what they have lost. If a Bedlam encounters an obstacle that it cannot move or shadow walk around, it will simply remain stationary until something else catches its attention, or it ceases to exist.

The Bedlam are thought to subsist purely on Drifters. It is possible they could hunt for other entities as well, but there is so far no documentation to prove that they have a prey variety. They hunt constantly, scenting out drifting souls in order to tear away and devour what the Bedlam has already lost. A Bedlam has long spindly arms, and powerful hands, which are held close and hidden under the shroud of its body. Long and slender nails, or claws, top each of the Bedlam’s fingers. These weapons are only partly corporeal, and as they are driven into a Drifters body they simultaneously tear into the soul. The Bedlam feeds on the Drifter’s humanity, leaving behind a ragged emptiness. The victim will then quickly turn into a Bedlam themselves. Once sufficiently fed, the Bedlam reverts to their human form. They have no memory of what has happened to them, or what they have been doing. The effect rarely lasts longer than a couple of hours before the Bedlam returns to its mindless monstrous state.

In much same way that Drifters are compelled to gather together, Bedlam are attracted to the presence of other Bedlam. They have even been seen moving in groups, though there is not yet any proof to suggest that Bedlam are pack hunters. Instead, it's thought that their compulsion to come together is a residual instinct left over from their time as a Drifter.

The Bedlam are sensitive to their environment, and can be repelled or driven off by certain minerals, plants, and environmental conditions. The Bedlam will not cross natural streams of flowing water. They have an aversion to certain plants; such as sage, birch, rosemary, and angelica. Bedlam will not cross certain stones. Black tourmaline, in particular, is effective at creating barriers that a Bedlam will avoid. A polished silver mirror will paralyze a Bedlam, but will not otherwise deter or harm one. Bedlam also have an aversion to light. When caught in sunlight, or in the glow of an electric bulb, the Bedlam becomes invisible, intangible, and utterly immobilized. They remain this way until the light is turned off, or the sun sets. Firelight, for some unknown reason, does not appear to affect them at all.

Bedlam succumb to the Fading in the same way Drifters do. They continue to diminish, and sustain themselves purely by devouring the humanity of drifting souls. If a Bedlam cannot feed regularly, it eventually loses its physical form and is reduced to a harmless residual presence. Most Drifters prefer to avoid the Bedlam rather than confront them directly. If it is known that a Bedlam is stalking a particular area, then most Drifters will simply uproot themselves and move to another city or town. There are occasions, however, when moving isn't an option. In those cases, there are a few methods known for dealing with a Bedlam, though none are easy. A Bedlam is already dead, and therefore cannot be killed, but it's form can be damaged and it's spirit reduced to residual energy. One method is to trap a Bedlam, either with the use of silver mirrors, or by creating a space with herbs and stones that the Bedlam cannot cross. The Bedlam can then be left in the trap until it simply fades. The danger is that, should the trap fail or become damaged, the Bedlam will be released and can escape.

Another method is to impale the Bedlam with a shaft of birch wood. It is unknown whether this physically hurts the Bedlam, but the entity's aversion to birch will cause the Bedlam to flee the area in an attempt to escape the presence of the wood. If the birch cannot be dislodged, the Bedlam will continue to mindlessly flee until it eventually succumbs to fading. Arrows and bolts made of birch are not as effective as one might think, as they do not penetrate deep enough to keep the Bedlam from removing them. A spear, or stake, is more effective, but requires that the attacker be well within range of the Bedlam’s claws.

Lastly, it has been rumored that there is a ritual which can be performed in order to excise a Bedlam completely. It would be the most effective and guaranteed method of getting rid of the monster. Unfortunately, it would appear that the rite requires energy from three sources in order to activate. Limited source material detailing such a ritual also hints that the Bedlam appear to sense such rituals, and will avoid an area that has been prepared for one. Therefore the only way to bring the Bedlam into the area to be excised would be to lure it in. Using the right would ensure the Bedlam’s destruction, but requires four Drifters to perform: three to enact the right, and one to be bait.

The Fading. (noun, singular)

The Fading begins from the moment a Drifter first becomes aware of its existence. It is the gradual deterioration of a soul’s humanity. The first signs of fading are the sudden absence of tactile sensation. Drifters lose the ability to feel changes in temperature, and eventually the ability to feel pain. Emotions grow more and more distant, more difficult to manifest, until they disappear altogether. Fading cannot be prevented, but by finding a sense of purpose, something spurs a Drifter’s desire and willpower, it can be staved off for years. It is believed that this is why Drifters instinctively feel the need to group together, so that through the group’s support, each individual soul can last longer than it would on its own.

Others.

T.B.A.

C H A R A C T E R | S H E E T .

If you are interested in participating you will be required to submit your character sheet for approval. Please PM your CS to me. Once we have an approved cast of six (6), recruitment will be closed.

Name:

Age at Death:

Death Years: (Max 150. Based on historical records, the oldest recorded Drifter was 200 years).

Birthplace: (City, State/Province, Country)

Deathplace: (City, State/Province, Country)

Apartment Number: (Floor 1: 101-104, Floor 2: 201-204, Floor 3: 301-304, Floor 4: 401-404)

Appearance: (Pictures acceptable)

Occupation in Death: (Keep in mind, most jobs require a social security number (SSN), which in death, you aren’t exactly handed. Due to the complexity of getting a SSN, most are entrepreneurs or work under the table).

Biography: (Brief history/ character synopsis)

R U L E S .

(1) All site rules apply, make sure to follow them.

(2) Three decent paragraphs for each post is required. Each paragraph should be at least four sentences or more.

(3) Be realistic. Think rationally. Work cooperatively. Don’t jack the thread. Don’t hold the thread up. Failure to post for 2-consecutive weeks without communication will result in your character being black bagged and npc’d to be ransomed back at high cost. If you are going to absent for a little while, let us know so we can work around your inactivity in the interim.

(4) Be mindful of another’s story. There will be lots of room for little personal quests and character development along the way. Don’t jump in and make someone else’s drama about you.

(5) Don't be a jackass. We are all here to have fun. If you are dragging down the RP with negativity or personal issues, you'll be booted.

(6) Post order. I am not the biggest fan of post order because it tends to hinder progression; however, two (2) other players must post before you are allowed to post again. This is to hinder speed-posting, thread-jacking, and progressing your character's storyline beyond the timeline everyone else's. With approval, I may override this rule from time-to-time.

(7) Communicate. Communicate with one another and with the team. This is a joint effort and I want everyone to feel like they are a part of the team.

(8) Max six (6) players. First come, first served. If a player drops out, an opening may be available. If you are interested in being waitlisted please PM.

Questions | Comments | Concerns
PM Endgame

L I N K S

recruitment►
in character
library►
cast
discussion

Last edited:
I'm curious but not sure I'm in yet. I'm seeing a couple of potential holes here, and I want to poke them first.

1) Is a Drifter's appearance the same in death as it was in life, or do their appearances change after death? I can see this being a potential problem, particularly if the now-drifter, former living human, had relatives or friends who would recognize him/her.
2) On the same token as above, if a drifter has no local friends or family, I could see it being entirely possible that the drifter goes on 'living' with his in-life SSN... at least until a body is discovered... assuming appearance does remain the same. Will you be allowing for this possibility?
3) Since Drifters are naturally drawn to Seattle, according to the description, do you anticipate - or at least allow for - those who come in from out of town? You mentioned death place as required info on the CS, so I'm hazarding a guess at a yes, here, but I want to be sure.
4) The character sheet requires details about the character's death, but the very nature of a Drifter, as you have described it, indicates that they can't remember anything about their deaths. From the way it is worded, it also sounds as though a soul can drift unaware for quite some time after death before becoming sentient, and therefore a Drifter, to begin this odd journey. This would seem to need some reconciling, particularly if souls that later become drifters can roam quite a distance from their point of death before becoming sentient.
5) The safest place for a Drifter to be is a well-lit area. Since Bedlam can't move in open light, and since Drifters are nervous of them, it would seem natural, to me, that Drifters sleep in well-lit rooms and travel between buildings only in daylight. It would also seem natural that Drifters automatically avoid careers in dark rooms, such as in photography or places like a night club. A drifter who would take on a job with such a nature would be seen as a risk taker, perhaps a thrill-seeker, or as particularly brave or stupid. Does this seem accurate?
6) This is more of a question than a hole: Personality-wise, do Drifters tend to retain the personalities that they had when living, or do they have a more common swaying than that? IE, do Drifters, by nature, have a certain personality tendency such that those with a variance would be considered unusual, or is it more likely that each Drifter is as unique as the human he/she originated as?

I -think- that's it, but no promises. >.>

EDIT: I -did- say no promises...

7) Do Drifters require an intake of nutrients, like humans do? If they have no need to eat, I could perceive that Drifters would quickly become rather rich individuals, since a good majority of an average human's budget goes to food.

Can I reserve a spot? It normally takes a long time for me to find inspiration for a character.

Coyote Hart Coyote Hart - We are currently still in the recruitment phase, so there isn't quite a rush yet. But the sooner you can get a character in the better.

WordArtist WordArtist - I like your enthusiasm. I hope we catch your interest and you choose to stick it out.

Some of your questions are answered in the Definitions section of the first post, but I've quoted those sections with your questions below:

1) Is a Drifter's appearance the same in death as it was in life, or do their appearances change after death? I can see this being a potential problem, particularly if the now-drifter, former living human, had relatives or friends who would recognize him/her.

"A Drifter’s physical body is not the same as the one they had when living. The reason for this is not known, but it allows them to interact with old family or friends without causing a problem. Unfortunately, this also leads to many Drifters attempting to reintegrate themselves back into their old family units or friend groups, often with disastrous results."

2) On the same token as above, if a drifter has no local friends or family, I could see it being entirely possible that the drifter goes on 'living' with his in-life SSN... at least until a body is discovered... assuming appearance does remain the same. Will you be allowing for this possibility?

Yes, we will allow it, provided that it is explained how they got an SSN in a rational matter. Typically when a death certificate is issued for an individual their social security number is also cancelled along with their pension, benefits, and personal identification cards and registrations. It would be a bad idea to use a cancelled SSN given that it would likely draw attention from the sort of governing bodies you probably don't want to draw the attention of - living or dead. However, identity theft is a thing. It's not out of the realm of plausibility that someone could have paid the right people to acquire one (assuming they have the money to do so) or had a prior knowledge to acquire one for themselves. If they died a John Doe with no family to identify them, it is also possible that they would still have an active SSN from their living days that no one would bat an eye over.

3) Since Drifters are naturally drawn to Seattle, according to the description, do you anticipate - or at least allow for - those who come in from out of town? You mentioned death place as required info on the CS, so I'm hazarding a guess at a yes, here, but I want to be sure.

"Though drawn, or compelled, to gather and remain in certain locations, Drifters are otherwise able to come and go as they please." In other words, the Drifters could come from all over. They are naturally drawn to one another at the same time as they are repelled by the presence of Bedlams. While we didn't discuss it above, there is very likely Drifter 'colonies' all across the globe, but for the purpose of the narrative (and to keep things simple) we are focusing only on the Seattle group.

4) The character sheet requires details about the character's death, but the very nature of a Drifter, as you have described it, indicates that they can't remember anything about their deaths. From the way it is worded, it also sounds as though a soul can drift unaware for quite some time after death before becoming sentient, and therefore a Drifter, to begin this odd journey. This would seem to need some reconciling, particularly if souls that later become drifters can roam quite a distance from their point of death before becoming sentient.

We kept this purposefully vague to allow for some creative licence in this regard. What one Drifters experience might not be the same as another's. I should mention, however, just because they can't remember their death, doesn't mean they can't make assumptions, or learn about it later. We do live in the technical age. If they did die before the computer era there were always newspapers, neighbourhood gossip, and of course, obituaries.

5) The safest place for a Drifter to be is a well-lit area. Since Bedlam can't move in open light, and since Drifters are nervous of them, it would seem natural, to me, that Drifters sleep in well-lit rooms and travel between buildings only in daylight. It would also seem natural that Drifters automatically avoid careers in dark rooms, such as in photography or places like a night club. A drifter who would take on a job with such a nature would be seen as a risk taker, perhaps a thrill-seeker, or as particularly brave or stupid. Does this seem accurate?

Yes, this would be an accurate assumption, with one exception to the above: Drifters don't sleep. In fact, they are incapable of sleep.

I will, however, elaborate a bit more.

It should be mentioned that a well-lit room isn't the only way to safeguard against both the Bedlam and/or causing a general stir, Drifters can repel Bedlam with certain herbs and minerals. Drifters who like to go out at night probably carry a protective talisman of some sort to ward against them.

Furthermore, some naive Drifters might also be completely unaware of the dangers of such situations. Unless a Drifter has been warned about the Bedlam or has experienced an encounter with a Bedlam, they simply might not know any better.

6) This is more of a question than a hole: Personality-wise, do Drifters tend to retain the personalities that they had when living, or do they have a more common swaying than that? IE, do Drifters, by nature, have a certain personality tendency such that those with a variance would be considered unusual, or is it more likely that each Drifter is as unique as the human he/she originated as?

Drifters maintain their original personality, but overtime they become jaded. You can't rejoin your family because they don't know you. Also trying to reintegrate yourself in the end probably comes off stalkerish and semi-serial killer in the making. You're dead, so some Drifters take that to mean common etiquette doesn't apply to them anymore. They gradually lose their emotions, which makes them cold. And they're hunted, which can make them paranoid. The Fading overtime strips them of everything else until they are just an emotionless blank slate that eventually succumbs and becomes a Bedlam.

7) Do Drifters require an intake of nutrients, like humans do? If they have no need to eat, I could perceive that Drifters would quickly become rather rich individuals, since a good majority of an average human's budget goes to food.

To answer your first question: "Drifters do not need to eat".

As for the second part, you make a pretty valid point that some Drifters very well could accumulate quite the fat stack of denarios. However, most Drifters probably don't feel like they need it. Most simply get jobs as a hobby, a means for finding purpose and combating the Fading, rather than the necessity of it. Nothing is really stopping them from obtaining wealth other than the possibility of increased exposure to the public eye and possibly a questioning eye from the tax man if they aren't paying their dues. However, seeing as money tends to alienate people, which is counterproductive to all measures Drifters employ to resist the Fading, most likely prefer to live a life of the common folk.

As for the second part, you make a pretty valid point that some Drifters very well could accumulate quite the fat stack of denarios. However, most Drifters probably don't feel like they need it. Most simply get jobs as a hobby, a means for finding purpose and combating the Fading, rather than the necessity of it. Nothing is really stopping them from obtaining wealth other than the possibility of increased exposure to the public eye and possibly a questioning eye from the tax man if they aren't paying their dues. However, seeing as money tends to alienate people, which is counterproductive to all measures Drifters employ to resist the Fading, most likely prefer to live a life of the common folk.

The above is a pretty interesting point. It would seem to me that Drifters would naturally lean toward volunteer work as a means to finding purpose in life, since a paid vocation can be less than rewarding and funds are not usually an immediate necessity. Living expenses are still a thing, of course, but I could very easily see Drifters gathering around, or even creating, charity organizations for various functions, as these would typically provide a much more meaningful purpose than your average desk or diner job might. On this front, it would seem to be one extreme or the other: volunteer or highly-educated professional. Anything in-between would not be rewarding enough to constitute a 'meaningful' existence.

All that put out there, it sounds like this could get pretty deep into theology and psychology. I'm definitely interested, although as you may have noticed, a bit absent-minded. I read your descriptions and still missed something important. =)

EDIT: Ok, CS submitted to you. I'm curious to see what you think.

Last edited:
Given the overwhelming interest, I'm going to close up shop for now. Everyone who has sent me a character sheet I'm still working my way through the list and you should get a response by latest Saturday evening if I haven't already sent you a message. I'll have the character/cast page up by Saturday and hopefully the OOC and Extra page by the end of this weekend for those of you who want to start plotting and discussing ideas. In the meantime, feel free to PM any questions and I'll try to get to them as soon as I can.

Given the overwhelming interest, I'm going to close up shop for now. Everyone who has sent me a character sheet I'm still working my way through the list and you should get a response by latest Saturday evening if I haven't already sent you a message. I'll have the character/cast page up by Saturday and hopefully the OOC and Extra page by the end of this weekend for those of you who want to start plotting and discussing ideas. In the meantime, feel free to PM any questions and I'll try to get to them as soon as I can.
I assume that a lot of people signed up?

Endgame Endgame can you please look at your Conversations? I sent a message on Wednesday and it shows that you haven't read it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back